Originally Posted by Anonymous
I've trained younger kids to head using a volleyball. Much lighter and softer but they are learning the proper technique this way.

I've actually used balloons to introduce technique. Graduate to nerf balls, volleyballs, then traditional balls. We need to teach these things, not go so far the other way as to ban it. Cause if you can't teach it at 10, you sure as hell won't know how to teach it at 15. Can't there ever be a middle ground? This shows that these federations have no thinkers. Try training your trainers.

Agree with you. If I'm not mistaken, the ban was put in to help settle a lawsuit surrounding concussions with the USSF. The ban was put into effect without a common sense solution being implemented.

The ban? USSF? Did you read the OP or its title? We are talking about the UK FA, not the USSF and here's the meat of it from OP:
'The football associations of England, Scotland and Northern Ireland on Monday announced they were implementing the changes to reduce health risks. They come as a result of a FIELD study, joint-funded by the English FA and the PFA, which was published in October. The study found professional footballers were three-and-a-half times more likely to die of neurodegenerative disease than age-matched members of the population'.
So that's heavy stuff dude. My own son is over six foot and has been heading the ball, a lot, for years. He heads well, with good technique yet still comes off the field sometimes, disoriented and with his ears ringing. He's had one serious concussion that put him in hospital and God knows how many sub-concussive hits. I love to watch him play but his college coach isn't giving him a firm spot this fall, they want him to 'keep in touch and try out again in August'. A big part of me hopes he doesn't. I would lay odds that in our lifetimes, there will be a new rule that you can head only in the box. Look how we are all panicking over this ridiculously insubstantial COVID19, yet here's clear proof that heading the ball a lot over an extended period gives you a higher chance of brain damage than COVID would have of killing you and no-one wants to hear it.

My apologies for my lack of clarity in my post. I was talking about the ban in the US as that is where I reside, coach/train and where my sons play. I'm aware of the UK, FA ban having read the material they published. I'm very thoughtful of the training of children learning to head the ball as well as when they suffer any type of head/neck/spine injury regardless of whether or not caused by the ball. Many people often ignore the fact that many concussions are caused not by the ball but rather hits to the back and hard falls to the ground. My oldest son suffered a minor concussion a few years ago when, as he put it, the kid just trucked me from behind. I'm truly sorry to hear about your son. I sincerely hope he can continue to play and lives a long and healthy life.