New Jersey
Connecticut
Maryland
Latest Posts
G2009:U14 Fall 2022/Spring 2023
by Larry Miller - 11/30/22 08:37 PM
G2008:U15 Fall 2022/Spring 2023
by Anonymous - 11/30/22 03:50 PM
Boys High School (School Ball Fall 2022)
by Anonymous - 11/30/22 09:39 AM
BOTN Translation
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
The guys the bitch the loudest at their kid, coaches, programs and refs never played, coached or officiated in their life. CAn pick them out a mile a way.

100%.

Like Reply Quote
Junior Soccer Advertisements

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Is that English??

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Quite frankly NO you shouldn't. Unless you have taken the course and certified you probably have no idea of the actual rules of the game and the nuances of refereeing. Spectators coaches and player's are amazingly ignorant to the rules. Do referees have bad days sure like everyone else. Are some older and not as mobile? Absolutely but what's the alternative? You complain about the referee, you complain about the 2 man system. Guess what we need more referees.
Teachers people say, I know several referees who are teachers, cops ect. They've all taken and passed the course and been refereeing for several years to get to Varsity. What do they get in return? Yelled at by parents players and coaches. Followed into parking lots and threatened.

[quote=Anonymous]So put up or shut up! And appreciate the referee for doing a thankless job that most of you are too lazy to do.

I am not the original OP, but I do agree with almost everything you mentioned. However the problem, I think, where many refs making calls some 40-50 yards down field when its obvious they are way out of position. If refs know they are unable to move as they once able, they shouldn't be making guess calls. If it happens once...ok. A second time and more creates the issue. I don't envy these refs but I appreciate them still keeping involved in the game they love. Are there refresher courses for refs? What does happen once they get rated by coaches? What is the follow up with their coordinators? Another issue with the 2-person system is having one ref calling everything in sight while the other keeps the whistle in their pocket and lets the kids play, except for obvious fouls. Its not an easy situation but there are also lots of refs that do a really nice job. Kudos to them.
In a 3 man system calls are sometimes made from distance. Just because you are 40 yards away does not mean you can't see a foul. Look at all the parents calling for "offsides" from further away from a 45degree angle! The 2 man system has many flaws the lead official can often be blocked or unsighted because he is responsible for offside. The trail offical has a much better view to make many calls. An experienced crew talk about the mechanics before the game and cover as much of the field as possible.

Good lord, have a shot of reality. It’s LI HS and club soccer. Very insignificant. Just sit there and watch quietly, whatever the “results”. You have no other purpose nor are you involved and even less does what you say matter.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Quite frankly NO you shouldn't. Unless you have taken the course and certified you probably have no idea of the actual rules of the game and the nuances of refereeing. Spectators coaches and player's are amazingly ignorant to the rules. Do referees have bad days sure like everyone else. Are some older and not as mobile? Absolutely but what's the alternative? You complain about the referee, you complain about the 2 man system. Guess what we need more referees.
Teachers people say, I know several referees who are teachers, cops ect. They've all taken and passed the course and been refereeing for several years to get to Varsity. What do they get in return? Yelled at by parents players and coaches. Followed into parking lots and threatened.

[quote=Anonymous]So put up or shut up! And appreciate the referee for doing a thankless job that most of you are too lazy to do.

I am not the original OP, but I do agree with almost everything you mentioned. However the problem, I think, where many refs making calls some 40-50 yards down field when its obvious they are way out of position. If refs know they are unable to move as they once able, they shouldn't be making guess calls. If it happens once...ok. A second time and more creates the issue. I don't envy these refs but I appreciate them still keeping involved in the game they love. Are there refresher courses for refs? What does happen once they get rated by coaches? What is the follow up with their coordinators? Another issue with the 2-person system is having one ref calling everything in sight while the other keeps the whistle in their pocket and lets the kids play, except for obvious fouls. Its not an easy situation but there are also lots of refs that do a really nice job. Kudos to them.
In a 3 man system calls are sometimes made from distance. Just because you are 40 yards away does not mean you can't see a foul. Look at all the parents calling for "offsides" from further away from a 45degree angle! The 2 man system has many flaws the lead official can often be blocked or unsighted because he is responsible for offside. The trail offical has a much better view to make many calls. An experienced crew talk about the mechanics before the game and cover as much of the field as possible.

Good lord, have a shot of reality. It’s LI HS and club soccer. Very insignificant. Just sit there and watch quietly, whatever the “results”. You have no other purpose nor are you involved and even less does what you say matter.

Bravo! Well said.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Easy there Mr./Ms. referee. This is a message board so what you find insignificant may not be for others. No need to get all sensitive. We all know you try your best on the pitch and are appreciative of it.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Who the favorites to win counties?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

GC Mac

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
South Side?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

GC Mac

Both good teams but until Mac is scored on they have to be the slight favorite.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Plainedge and Friends Acad go far into playoffs?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
South Side?

What are you smoking? They don't score goals.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Mac still has no goals against.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

These games mean little. Playoffs matter. They are not that impressive.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Spoken by the guy with a kid on a losing team!

Like Reply Quote
T
Back of THE NET
Back of THE NET
T

I have no dog in this fight, but 8-0-1 with ZERO goals against is pretty impressive for any team. If you make a statement like that at least have the confidence to tell us who you think is MORE impressive.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by TomSac

I have no dog in this fight, but 8-0-1 with ZERO goals against is pretty impressive for any team. If you make a statement like that at least have the confidence to tell us who you think is MORE impressive.

I agree the record is impressive and there are very few girls high school soccer teams playing some soccer. Watching some of these games is a true indication as to why teachers have no business being coaches. There are maybe an exception here or there but seeing the direct run and gun, take on 3 players and fall to the ground or run yourself straight out of bounds is obnoxious and disappointing. Its all about ME out there for most of these players that have poor coaching and let me get in the paper. Not lets play some soccer, move the ball when appropriate and use our brains.

This is a thinking game and head down exchanging possession is not high percentage soccer.

Like Reply Quote
T
Back of THE NET
Back of THE NET
T

I agree the record is impressive and there are very few girls high school soccer teams playing some soccer. Watching some of these games is a true indication as to why teachers have no business being coaches. There are maybe an exception here or there but seeing the direct run and gun, take on 3 players and fall to the ground or run yourself straight out of bounds is obnoxious and disappointing. Its all about ME out there for most of these players that have poor coaching and let me get in the paper. Not lets play some soccer, move the ball when appropriate and use our brains.

This is a thinking game and head down exchanging possession is not high percentage soccer.

I 100% agree with you assessment. My guess is you have a daughter who plays competitive club soccer made up of girls who are committed to playing soccer. Unfortunately that is not the case for school ball. I would highly doubt you can find more then a handful of teams on long island that play possession soccer and are good at it. That being said 8-0-1 with zero goals against is still impressive regardless of the style of play.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Playoffs coming, I call South Side wins County.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I 100% agree with you assessment. My guess is you have a daughter who plays competitive club soccer made up of girls who are committed to playing soccer. Unfortunately that is not the case for school ball. I would highly doubt you can find more then a handful of teams on long island that play possession soccer and are good at it. That being said 8-0-1 with zero goals against is still impressive regardless of the style of play.

Yes my daughter plays competitive club and has a very good coach who understands and teaches the game very well. My daughter and most of her club teammates are very disciplined in the game strategy and such. She is a main player on her club team which would smoke her varsity team however her varsity team which has "some" talented players is being joysticked by the coach and he is all about being direct all the time. So some of the talented players like my daughter are exposed because they are looking to play with and off their teammates and exploiting the other teams weaknesses tactically. A good amount of the varsity teammates are North to South, they would never do well at club against stronger competition but at varsity they are able to have their heads down and be successful (in the world of school soccer) with a very low soccer IQ.

Tough adjustment for quality club players at the older ages who have developed a lot of muscle memory and I can see why club coaches get down on school soccer. Bad habits, bad soccer and injuries (no real consistent recovery days built in to the season). Its a social thing and I am cool with that but seeing some the parents pound their chests and believe this is what soccer should look like at these older ages I am bewildered.

Yes, there is no surprise that team is undefeated.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I will add I watched a midfielder who plays club at another club goal hang and not make one tackle or handle aerials every single minute she is out there while the other two midfielders make up for her being out of position 30 plus yards dozens of times. When the varsity team plays better competition they exploit this with their direct play of course and its like playing a player or two down. Meaning when one of the other midfielders leaves there mark or position then they are leaving that area open and during transition you are now down 2 players. The teacher/coach is all sorts of painful because he allows this every single game. Yes the goal hanger scores here and there but she has zero defensive abilities but she plays the 8 or 10 (midfield). Many examples of just crappy soccer but this bothers me because my daughter has to play the midfield with a kid that is still getting ice cream for goals.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It seems how many points a player has overrides team play.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It seems how many points a player has overrides team play.

Great point and very true!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Mac will fold because of this type of play. You will see.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Maybe:
They just beat Mepham 8-0

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Maybe:
They just beat Mepham 8-0

Is that supposed to scare us. Mepham is having a below average year.
Your award winning coach kept the starters in deep into second half.
Real classy move by her.

Like Reply Quote
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard
Nobody Does It Better
BOTN PROMOTE
Promote Your Events