Maxpreps High School
New York
New Jersey
Connecticut
Maryland
Latest Posts
Questioning again, SUSA ECNL DOC JR's Conduct
by Anonymous - 12/01/22 09:40 PM
Boys High School (School Ball Fall 2022)
by Anonymous - 12/01/22 07:55 PM
Rivertowns United G2008 Dragons
by Peter Walker - 12/01/22 06:43 PM
LI Rough Riders Super Y League Tryouts
by Larry Miller - 12/01/22 09:46 AM
BOTN Translation
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 38 of 38 1 2 36 37 38
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I saw 3 referee's WALK OFF THE FIELD this past weekend.
They were young and they were abused by idiot parents and coaches. As they walked - the insults continued. one ref did not even turn back - not once. They are all gone.
what a shame - I hope you idiots are proud of yourselves.
I am would not be surprised if there were more than 3 that quit last weekend.
AS if that was not bad enough - they were lower age groups and lower division games. These kids could not kick a ball straight. EVERYTHING was the referee's fault. clueless idiots.
After seeing this video.................

https://www.kcra.com/article/roseville-referee-parent-youth-soccer-game/38277303

A large group of refs are organizing a walkout in protest - before this happens on LI
REF's - please watch your back as well as each other's back.

That parent will be charged and will see jail time. If that AR is under 18 (I believe that he is) - that parent wont see the light of day for a long time.

Junior Soccer Advertisements

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
They were young and they were abused by idiot parents and coaches. As they walked - the insults continued. one ref did not even turn back - not once. They are all gone.
AS if that was not bad enough - they were lower age groups and lower division games. These kids could not kick a ball straight. EVERYTHING was the referee's fault. clueless idiots.

https://www.kcra.com/article/roseville-referee-parent-youth-soccer-game/38277303

A large group of refs are organizing a walkout in protest - before this happens on LI

That parent will be charged and will see jail time. If that AR is under 18 (I believe that he is) - that parent wont see the light of day for a long time.

With the upcoming Showcase tournaments hopefully the behavior will improve. If not let's see if a referee terminates a game that has such importance for a childs future what the reaction would be.

Back of THE NET
Back of THE NET
A big part of referee shortage is the fact that there are certain leagues with a specific assignor, and Ref Associations that have colluded not using new referees, have not given them experience, and have nurtured a culture that are not thankful to referees. They'd rather allow this abusive behavior to referees to occur, coaches, players, parents always fighting with referees for every single call. Referees already are atrociously underpaid, and some new referees never get called by assignors because they are not a part of their group. People need to understand that officials are a vital part of the game. Instead of having a surplus of referees, more refs stop entirely. The youth soccer structure in the US is an abusive Pay-To-Play system that has always went in the wrong direction of development of players. The state association is corrupt at it's core, as well as US Youth Soccer, hosting the restrictive national open championships. With so many different competing leagues from Youth soccer leagues through the MLS hosting youth soccer leagues, you will not get referees to cover all these games. Referees have taken annual tests to recertify for their license. Please don't think a parent or coach can referee their own team's games. That just is the wrong message, and leagues that permit this becomes not credible.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Coach_Sanchez
A big part of referee shortage is the fact that there are certain leagues with a specific assignor, and Ref Associations that have colluded not using new referees, have not given them experience, and have nurtured a culture that are not thankful to referees. They'd rather allow this abusive behavior to referees to occur, coaches, players, parents always fighting with referees for every single call. Referees already are atrociously underpaid, and some new referees never get called by assignors because they are not a part of their group. People need to understand that officials are a vital part of the game. Instead of having a surplus of referees, more refs stop entirely. The youth soccer structure in the US is an abusive Pay-To-Play system that has always went in the wrong direction of development of players. The state association is corrupt at it's core, as well as US Youth Soccer, hosting the restrictive national open championships. With so many different competing leagues from Youth soccer leagues through the MLS hosting youth soccer leagues, you will not get referees to cover all these games. Referees have taken annual tests to recertify for their license. Please don't think a parent or coach can referee their own team's games. That just is the wrong message, and leagues that permit this becomes not credible.

Please elaborate on the fact that there are certain leagues with a specific assignor, and Ref Associations that have colluded not using new referees, have not given them experience, and have nurtured a culture that are not thankful to referees. They'd rather allow this abusive behavior to referees to occur,

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You're wrong Sanchez. Like in any Walk of Life there will always be some favoritism in any job you have

So of course the assignor will assign referees that he trusts and friends of his to better game but at the end of the day when the assignor sends out an email that there are about 15 games that are not covered anybody with a license can email him and ask to be put on that game so don't tell me that referees are not getting games.

Maybe they are not getting centers or getting games in their backyard but there are plenty of games for them to referee and there are plenty of instructors who can give good feedback

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
it is unrealistic that if you are a new referee that you get thrown in to be the middle CR in big games. That does not happen.
There is a natural progression. New Refs Start out with the younger age groups and work your way up as both AR and CR.
You need to "pay your dues" so to speak. Same thing with coaching.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Of course Rome wasn't built in a day the problem you have with a lot of these new referees is that they don't get the kind of quality of games they think they deserve and then they get vindictive and do not pick up loose games or want to do lines

When I started out I had to do youth games and lines for many years before I started getting centers and adult games

But in the course of this you learn a lot because you meet a lot of experience referees along the way and you can watch the game from the sides and see things a lot better

That's why I think referees should be fined if they do not accept an assignment but this will never happen due to too many games.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
if you dont accept games and/or you do a no show - you go to the bottom of the list or wont get assigned at all.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Exactly and this dilutes the quality of referees because the assignor only has so much of a pool of referees to choose from and he gets pressure from the leagues to assign games so sometimes he has to assign poor referees because he has no choice there is only so many quality referees to go around and even with that some people do not want to accept certain games like was said due to inferiority issues of not getting middles or "quality games" or not wanting to go to a certain location for travel.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Of course Rome wasn't built in a day the problem you have with a lot of these new referees is that they don't get the kind of quality of games they think they deserve and then they get vindictive and do not pick up loose games or want to do lines

When I started out I had to do youth games and lines for many years before I started getting centers and adult games

But in the course of this you learn a lot because you meet a lot of experience referees along the way and you can watch the game from the sides and see things a lot better

That's why I think referees should be fined if they do not accept an assignment but this will never happen due to too many games.

Not any more. I was centering U18 state cup games my second season and was being offered adult games by my third.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I wonder what the ref did to spark that kind of reaction? Not saying he did anything, only that is unclear what preceded the physical attack. The anger only seemed directed at one of the referees (AR), and in addition to the parent, It looks like one of the players was trying to get at him as well. Wish we had the 5-10 seconds of video from before the attack.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I wonder what the ref did to spark that kind of reaction? Not saying he did anything, only that is unclear what preceded the physical attack. The anger only seemed directed at one of the referees (AR), and in addition to the parent, It looks like one of the players was trying to get at him as well. Wish we had the 5-10 seconds of video from before the attack.

The father should and will be arrested and charged He also should be BANNED FOREVER from attending any of his child's games TMO

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Attacking a ref is not acceptable.We do need them to compete but I will say some of these refs are a little bias and need to be schooled on the rules.Also get in better shape of you want to ref varsity.A lot of these guys can’t keep up with the speed of the game on the high school level.All in all even pro refs make mistakes in the heat of battle so we must cut a little slack especially on the junior/club level.I hate when a great game is decided by a unwarranted free or penal kick.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Attacking a ref is not acceptable.We do need them to compete but I will say some of these refs are a little bias and need to be schooled on the rules.Also get in better shape of you want to ref varsity.A lot of these guys can’t keep up with the speed of the game on the high school level.All in all even pro refs make mistakes in the heat of battle so we must cut a little slack especially on the junior/club level.I hate when a great game is decided by a unwarranted free or penal kick.

For every time a ref gets a rule wrong, the coaches get one wrong fifty times.

L
Back of THE NET
Back of THE NET
L

The father should and will be arrested and charged He also should be BANNED FOREVER from attending any of his child's games TMO

That incident was an assault. Instead of showing the parent a card the referee should have dialed 911 to report an assault. The Coaches should have kept him there and had him arrested. I cannot believe the lame reaction of the Coaches, they barely react to the incident. There is clear video evidence of an assault. The attacker was at least twice the weight of the victim and the victim is lucky he did not receive a serious injury.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by LIRef77

That incident was an assault. Instead of showing the parent a card the referee should have dialed 911 to report an assault. The Coaches should have kept him there and had him arrested. I cannot believe the lame reaction of the Coaches, they barely react to the incident. There is clear video evidence of an assault. The attacker was at least twice the weight of the victim and the victim is lucky he did not receive a serious injury.

If the School refuses to name the attacker then that school should be banned from having soccer for 4 yrs

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Leagues are starting to panic...... this is just the start

All MLS NEXT Referees,

We all have been in a situation, where we find ourselves short one of our Referee Crew members.

We have called our assignor and referee is injured, sick, any number of other reasons.(It just happens).
We have also called the League Game Day Contact to inform him of the same. We may ask for advice on how to proceed.
"He says go with the 2 man system"

Referee Shortages we are experiencing a referee shortage it is out of our control, there are only 2 official assigned.

What does that mean for you?
You only have 2 options to then officiate the game:

1- Referee and AR1 get a volunteer for a Club Line/AR for AR2.
**Club line/AR can only call ball in and out of play**

2- Referee and AR1 with no AR2 ( referee will have to adjust managing the match in what would be the AR2 half of the field (ball in and out of play an offside)

There is not an authorized Referee Dual System (2 Whistle) for use in sanctioned US Soccer Matches.

Mike Mekelburg
National Assignor
MLS NEXT Group Admin

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What referee would want to do a high level game like this and get abused by the parents if there is no AR and you get paid the same to do An AR job and you have no one

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Men's games are all 1 ref except div 1 so no different. It sucks.not enough refs to go around and teams don't want pay for 3 man crew.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Help Wanted
Every team deserves a referee with supersonic eye sight and can see everything perfectly from all angles.
A referee who NEVER makes a mistake and makes every decision that everyone agrees with.
Unfortunately - there is only one place to find such qualities and perfection in a referee -
And its usually found on the sidelines.
Its the person too busy shouting abuse to the ones who are actually brave enough to do the job.
STFU

Chief Rocker
Back of THE NET
Chief Rocker
Back of THE NET
Ref shortage solutions: Straight red to abusive coaches, swifter response to parents, teach conveying authority
by Beau Dure

News flash: We have a ref shortage.

Recruitment, in most areas, isn’t the issue. Retention is. In conversations with several ref assignors and league staff from several regions, I’ve found that a lot of refs simply re-evaluated their priorities after the COVID shutdown and decided that it wasn’t worth it to come back. In my area, we’ve had desperate last-minute pleas to get refs not just for U-11 rec games but for MLS Next, ECNL and UPSL games.

Adding a few more bucks won’t hurt, but as in many jobs that people are refusing to take up again, the working conditions are the stumbling block. In warehouses, it might be the back-breaking, break-less shifts that aren’t ameliorated with a pizza party. On soccer fields, it’s abuse.

And when it comes to stopping referee abuse, the nice approach isn’t working.

It’s time to be the bad cop.

The Laws of the Game clearly give referees the authority to put a stop to misbehavior on and off the field. Warn. Caution. Dismiss. If it’s what refs call OFFINABUS (offensive, insulting or abusive language), go straight to dismiss. Do not pass Go and collect $200. Go directly to the parking lot.

Sure, this approach introduces some complications. Younger refs may overreact and show red every time a coach so much as grimaces. And it’s often the parents, not the coaches, who need to watch the game from a remote location.

But we can address those.

First, as difficult as this may be for assignors in a time of severe ref shortages, bring along new refs slowly. One of my first assignments was an AR shift at a U-13 WAGS Tournament game between two nationally ranked teams, and I had to chuckle when the parents behind me complained about the center ref (recently removed from being an All-ACC player herself) by saying, “And it’s such an important game!” “Can’t be all that important if I’m here,” I thought.

I kept up with play and avoided confrontations with the parents right behind me, but I should’ve been an AR at a lower-level U-11 game. (Sadly, given the current shortages, a lot of U-11 and U-12 games are going with just one ref, which means parents will have a far better view of a lot of possession and offside calls than the ref will, and they’ll moan about every possession call as if it’ll decide their children’s chances at getting a scholarship at Virginia or admission to MIT.) I should’ve had more experience in laid-back rec leagues.

The ideal progression: AR at low-level short-sided games. Progress to AR at mid-level short-sided and low-level full-field games. Center low-level U-9 and U-10. Then keep moving up in level of play and age group as appropriate.

Hopefully, the higher the stakes, the more experienced the ref. As refs gain experience, they get better at game management. They know when to let the immediate reaction slide, either ignoring it or saying a couple of calming words. I still have a lot to learn in this aspect of reffing (time to read Randy Vogt’s book!), but I’m better than I was when I first started and was put into games I shouldn’t have been doing. At the very least, I won’t be caught unaware the next time I ref a game in which a U-10 coach doesn’t care if her players are fouling others to the point of injury, all egged on by foul-mouthed parents.

If a younger ref is too quick to go to the cards to quell adults, is that such a bad thing? The younger ref will be working in younger age groups, where it’s that much more important to make the adults shut up and watch. The occasional overreaction will be worth it when the coaches and parents realize they’d better not risk an early departure from the sideline.

Dealing with parents (or relatives or boyfriends or whoever has gathered uncomfortably close to the sideline) can be trickier. Refs are taught to avoid direct interaction with parents. Instead, we’re supposed to trot across the field to chat with the coach, who can then trot across the field to chat with the parents. But by the time the coach trots back across the field, we’ve lost a couple of minutes of playing time. For many refs, it’s not worth the bother.

If the miscreants continue, the ref can send off the coach, but that just gives the parents one more thing to complain about, and the ref literally has no more cards to play other than stopping the game. And if the ref stops the game, he or she has to explain why. Then the ref has to address the parents anyway, and there’s no coach on the field to act as a buffer.

So we need a more creative solution.

One possibility: Show yellow to the coach from across the field and point to the offending fan(s). The coach then has the option to come across and chat, but if we’re proactive and tell clubs what we’re doing at the beginning of a season or tournament, they can tell their parents what that yellow card means.

Another: Train refs to tell parents, “Look, if this continues, I have to bring over your coach, and if it continues beyond that, your coach will be sent off.” That’s the only thing that needs to be said.

But we also may need to accept that there are situations in which a ref can’t wait.

We don’t continue games in unsafe conditions, whether it be from lightning, unweighted goals or a pack of wild dogs. Why continue games if two parents are about to throw down? Or if a parent is directly abusing a player on the other team? Or if a parent has ventured into OFFINABUS territory?

Finally, teach game management. Ref certification shouldn’t be limited to questions about what happens if a goalkeeper leaves the field to smoke while a substitute throws a shoe at a dog that ran onto the field and a coach uses abusive language at a player. (That said, I highly recommend Jan ter Harmsel’s online quizzes on bizarre situations, fun for fans and educational for refs.) Young refs in particular need to learn how to convey authority without being overbearing ogres.

Then, at last, refs will find they’re not dealing with abuse with both hands tied behind their backs. They’ll have a toolkit for defusing (side note: it’s not diffusing, folks) situations.

Then more refs will stick around. Fewer games will be canceled or proceed with no refs. Some refs may even graduate to higher levels, increasing the talent pool for PRO. And your games, from U-9 to the World Cup, will be better.

Back of THE NET
Back of THE NET
Here's another reason why refs are quitting in droves!

https://fut411.com/scandals/north-t...BXf8guOBMjxzqKHofv1UaGVSpoYHwVjDUrJx6AIs

Page 38 of 38 1 2 36 37 38

Moderated by  LIRef77 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Nobody Does It Better
BOTN PROMOTE
Promote Your Events
Winter Indoor
Leagues & Rentals
Globall Winter 1
Friends of BOTN

Newest Members
keithrambo, dwacomp, PresDixHillsSC, FutsalKing, Tonna5
15,162 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (Larry Miller), 31 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics9,223
Posts538,606
Members15,162
Most Online2,013
Jan 26th, 2014
Random Photos
Tropical Fish

Click Here!