Fall '21 Schedules, Scores & Standings: | CJSL | DPL | G-ECNL | G-ECRL | B-ECNL | B-ECRL | EDP | EHYSL | GA
| LIJSL |MLS NXT | National League | NCSANJ | NEAL | WYSL | CDYSL | Section 1 HS (West.) Boys |Girls

Forum Search
Fall 2021
Scores & Standings
Girls Academy League
GA Schedule & Standings
MLS Next Scores & Standings
Scores & Standings
National League
North Atlantic
EDP 2021/2022
Scores & Standings
WYSL Scores & Standings
Fall '21 Scores & Standings
ENY State Cups 2021-2022
Challenge Cup
NY State Cup
Maxpreps High School
New York
New Jersey
Connecticut
Maryland
Latest Posts
Where are all the Referees?
by Anonymous - 10/16/21 07:16 PM
G2008:U14 Fall 2021/Spring 2022
by Anonymous - 10/16/21 04:02 PM
G2010:U12 Fall 2021/Spring 2022
by Anonymous - 10/16/21 03:20 PM
BHS (2005:U17, 2004:U18, 2003:U19)
by Anonymous - 10/16/21 02:25 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 28 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Larry Miller
Colleges look for students that have participated in after school clubs and sports and discount any sports outside of the school environment. Perhaps you need to have a chat with your kid's guidance counselor than your kid's soccer trainer!!

I have yet to see a college coach at a HS game. I've seen plenty at club events. Do they want kids who participate in after school activities? Of course, but "discount any sports played outside of school"? Hahahahahaha.

You really dont know how it works, do you?

First of all, let your child grow up...when he/she goes to college they are adults and need to focus on a career and be a coaches bitch at practice when scool work is intense and a name college is important to graduate from. Of course you could play for susa and maybe get accepted to play soccer at The College of St. Rose and then after graduation, if they graduate, they can become a trainer at susa smile

Why high school was done so was soccer in my house. was I right in doing that and stopping on daughter from playing in college? I don't know, but I'll ask daughter #1, Dr. Miller, and daughter #2 J.D., and see if it was worth not playing soccer in college?
What does any of that have to do with your statement that college coaches "discount any sports outside of school"? Those are YOUR words. It has nothing to do with the intensity of school work.

And why would you stop your child from doing something they have an interest in? If my child says they don't want to play after HS, that's fine. But I won't force them to give up a sport just like I won't force them to play a sport.

Seems like the Chief Rocker isn't a fan of susa wink

I think there is never a cut and dry answer if your child wants to play in college (and why not if they want to - some kids can do both) there are some clubs and High School programs that do it better than others. There are also clubs that overpromise...and HS's that don't put in the effort. Our local coach is notorious for not even answering calls from colleges......

Like Reply Quote
Junior Soccer Advertisements

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Some of my kids worst trainers were “certified” card-carrying trainers from susa. They have to be videotaped and send it in to the certification board. HUGE difference between what is on the tape and what actually happens on the field. The coach brings out a dry-erase board for the video and the kids never see it again after that lol. Sad that some parents are wasting their money on this.

Like Reply Quote
Chief Rocker
Back of THE NET
Chief Rocker
Back of THE NET
A certified trainer? Certified by whom? Certified from a video tape? Really?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
A certified trainer? Certified by whom? Certified from a video tape? Really?

Not sure who issues the license, but they do a video tape where they put on a show. When people complain about the prices they are then told that their coach is licensed. Maybe to drive, but not to coach

Like Reply Quote
L
Back of THE NET
Back of THE NET
L
Originally Posted by LIRef77
I think what a lot of people are missing about minimum practice attendance is to let the athletes know that once they make a team they have a minimum participation rate. If they cannot participate in the required practices then they should not be trying out for the team and let others that are more serious participate.

It is a privilege to make a team and Coaches want athletes that can give it their all and can be at enough practices so that the team can work on teamwork, set plays, etc and actually learn to play as a team.

I have a lot of respect for you LI Ref, but genuinely surprised on your take. Players "giving it their all" has nothing to do with being at 6 practices straight . What player doesn't want to give it their all? So if a player has driver's ed at practice time they're disqualified from week's game?
And you of all people should know that many hs coaches have no idea how to run set pieces, tactical play, etc. It's basically conditioning, passing, shooting, and small sided. Basic things.
And a ref firsthand knows how many miles they run during a game. Do this 6 days straight for two games a day, overuse at some point will happen.
So, why 6 days of practice and not 5, allowing for a day of recovery?

You’re talking to the wrong guy. My daughter played high school and club (her choice not mine) and I was a Coach and by the time my girls aged out and I became a referee (neither played in college although they could have, one of them in 3 sports) I was sick and tired of super star Primadonna players that felt entitled to miss practices because they were special. I see it from a Coach’s point of view. High school and club coaches need to communicate because no one says they need to go 100% all the time they need to go easy at times and just have practices that make sense after a few weeks players are conditioned work more on strategy etc. Any high school aged player should be able to physically handle that.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Once again, whether someone attends practice or not, and what the repercussions of the lack of attendance are, should be up to the coach. A coach who lets the prima donnas run roughshod over him will eventually not have enough kids to field a team. Sure, they might have the prima donnas, but others won't stick around. OR, they'll see other players miss practice and they'll start missing too, then the team will start losing.

Why is the state even involved in this? That's the part I don't get. Around here, the school soccer season is only ~10 weeks. With 2-3 games/week, plus recovery days, it might take half the season to get six practices in. That makes sense to people?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This just goes to more softening of the society I don't know how old a lot of you guys are me I'm in my mid-40s back in the 90s haven't help you if you didn't go to preseason work out and God help you if you missed any practices during so-called hell week with 2 a days
You don't have to worry about the school or even the coach the most senior members of the team will let you know that it's just not allowed

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Amazing how much parents whine. The 6 practices are normally tryouts/practices. God forbid your kid actually has to compete to make a team. Just show up at the first game and demand your kid start even though they only made 2 tryouts/practices. Pathetic.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This just goes to more softening of the society I don't know how old a lot of you guys are me I'm in my mid-40s back in the 90s haven't help you if you didn't go to preseason work out and God help you if you missed any practices during so-called hell week with 2 a days
You don't have to worry about the school or even the coach the most senior members of the team will let you know that it's just not allowed

It's called the wussification of society. I'm in my mid-50's and no one thought of missing captains practices or tryouts as you wanted to make the team and it didn't matter if you were a top player or average, we all showed up.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Amazing how much parents whine. The 6 practices are normally tryouts/practices. God forbid your kid actually has to compete to make a team. Just show up at the first game and demand your kid start even though they only made 2 tryouts/practices. Pathetic.
But whining about whining is OK?

I could care less if a coach says someone has to attend six practices, twelve two a days or get to level 20 on the beep test. That's for the COACH to decide, not the state. What if the state says "A player can only play 20 minutes at a time and must sit out for 10 minutes."? Since it's a 'rule', you would go along with it? It makes about as much sense.

What if the state said "every who tries out must get a spot on the team and must play 50% of the minutes."? It's a rule, so no problem?

Sure, my examples are extreme and stupid. Just like the STATE mandating someone must attend six practices before playing.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I could care less if a coach says someone has to attend six practices, twelve two a days or get to level 20 on the beep test. That's for the COACH to decide, not the state. What if the state says "A player can only play 20 minutes at a time and must sit out for 10 minutes."? Since it's a 'rule', you would go along with it? It makes about as much sense.

What if the state said "every who tries out must get a spot on the team and must play 50% of the minutes."? It's a rule, so no problem?

Sure, my examples are extreme and stupid. Just like the STATE mandating someone must attend six practices before playing.

Why bother making non-sensical statements? Make an argument that employs common sense statements. What are you going to complain abut next? That your child has to earn a certain SAT or ACT score to get accepted to a college?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
In ALL sports a certain amount of practices need to be met before competing in first game period! It has always been that way. It used to be more then 6.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Can someone post the Newsday top 100 player list? I'm not paying to read that rag of a paper.

Like Reply Quote
Chief Rocker
Back of THE NET
Chief Rocker
Back of THE NET
Can someone post the Newsday top 100 player list? I'm not paying to read that rag of a paper.

But you'll read their rag 100 top players? I happen to like Newsday, and I did post the boys and girls Top 100. Do a search and you'll find it posted.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Why bother making non-sensical statements? Make an argument that employs common sense statements. What are you going to complain abut next? That your child has to earn a certain SAT or ACT score to get accepted to a college?
You want common sense? The state has no business in deciding if a player is "match ready." That's between the coach, the trainer/medical personnel, and the player. The state doesn't know if the player has been working out on their own, attending sport camps, or anything. It's a stupid rule.

BTW, I'm not in NY, so this rule doesn't apply to me. I still think it's stupid.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You want common sense? The state has no business in deciding if a player is "match ready." That's between the coach, the trainer/medical personnel, and the player. The state doesn't know if the player has been working out on their own, attending sport camps, or anything. It's a stupid rule.

BTW, I'm not in NY, so this rule doesn't apply to me. I still think it's stupid.

It has nothing to do with match ready. It's a school commitment to a team. Everyone knows the kids are ready for a sport, the educators are trying to teach about commitment to the school. It's a requirement in all High School sports.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

It has nothing to do with match ready. It's a school commitment to a team. Everyone knows the kids are ready for a sport, the educators are trying to teach about commitment to the school. It's a requirement in all High School sports.
I still say that should be handled on the local level. So if someone is sick, on a family vacation (because we all know sports families have LOTS of time for that), at a sport camp, or any of the other things that can pull kids away, "not committed, can't play"? Why would the coach not have a say in that? I don't have a problem with the rule itself per se. I have a problem with the rule being sent down from the state. It should be handled by the coach.

Like Reply Quote
L
Back of THE NET
Back of THE NET
L
If you have a problem just because it is a state entity mandating it then you really have a problem. High School athletics falls under the auspices of the NYSPHSAA! They set the rules. these rules are set so that Coaches have a standard to follow and so that they cannot make exceptions for players and set up an unfair system.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If you have a problem just because it is a state entity mandating it then you really have a problem. High School athletics falls under the auspices of the NYSPHSAA! They set the rules. these rules are set so that Coaches have a standard to follow and so that they cannot make exceptions for players and set up an unfair system.

Well duh. I thought High School Sports fell under the Great Pumpkin.

So first, you guys have defended the rule because of "player safety". Then, no, it's not player safety, it's "school commitment". Now, it's not "school commitment", it's being "fair." So, please explain to me how it would be "unfair" if a coach allows a player to play immediately. Don't point to the rule. I want to know WHY the rule is in place. How does it make things "fair"? You guys can't even defend it.

And yes, if I was in NY, I would expect my kids' school to follow the rule. Doesn't mean I can't think it's a stupid rule.

Like Reply Quote
L
Back of THE NET
Back of THE NET
L

Well duh. I thought High School Sports fell under the Great Pumpkin.

So first, you guys have defended the rule because of "player safety". Then, no, it's not player safety, it's "school commitment". Now, it's not "school commitment", it's being "fair." So, please explain to me how it would be "unfair" if a coach allows a player to play immediately. Don't point to the rule. I want to know WHY the rule is in place. How does it make things "fair"? You guys can't even defend it.

And yes, if I was in NY, I would expect my kids' school to follow the rule. Doesn't mean I can't think it's a stupid rule.

Well the “DUH” is on you. You don’t want the STATE involved and it’s a STATE run organization that makes the rules and sanctions the games. They make the rules if you don’t like them your kid is not forced to participate.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Well the “DUH” is on you. You don’t want the STATE involved and it’s a STATE run organization that makes the rules and sanctions the games. They make the rules if you don’t like them your kid is not forced to participate.
So you can't justify the rule either. YOU said it's an "unfair" system without the rule, but can't explain why.

I don't have to follow it because I'm not in NY. If I did, I'd live with it. I still think it's stupid. I don't understand why you people are so against someone simply stating their opinion. Which is all I've done.

Like Reply Quote
T
Back of THE NET
Back of THE NET
T
i never realized there was a limit. there were 2 a days and we had to make the 6 min mile to make the team. would have been very easy to make up 6 practices. why cant the practice sessions in the season be included?

Helllo
Like Reply Quote
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard
Nobody Does It Better
Friends of BOTN

Newest Members