Fall '21 Schedules, Scores & Standings: | CJSL | DPL | G-ECNL | G-ECRL | B-ECNL | B-ECRL | Challenge Cup | EDP | EHYSL | GA
| LIJSL |MLS NXT | National League | NCSANJ | NEAL | ENY State Cup | WYSL | CDYSL | Section 1 HS (West.) Boys |Girls

Forum Search
Fall 2021
Scores & Standings
Girls Academy League
GA Schedule & Standings
MLS Next Scores & Standings
Scores & Standings
National League
North Atlantic
EDP 2021/2022
Scores & Standings
WYSL Scores & Standings
Fall '21 Scores & Standings
ENY State Cups 2021-2022
Challenge Cup
NY State Cup
Maxpreps High School
New York
New Jersey
Connecticut
Maryland
Latest Posts
G2008:U14 Fall 2021/Spring 2022
by Anonymous - 09/20/21 08:53 PM
Where are all the Referees?
by Larry Miller - 09/20/21 08:46 PM
BHS (2005:U17, 2004:U18, 2003:U19)
by Anonymous - 09/20/21 06:41 PM
Stony Brook SC & Atletico FC Merge
by Anonymous - 09/20/21 06:12 PM
G2009:U13 Fall 2021/Spring 2022
by Anonymous - 09/20/21 06:01 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 48 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 27 of 29 1 2 25 26 27 28 29
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Is there a long island referee shortage? Referees showing up late for games all weekend
There is definitely a shortage of competent referees ,especially out in Islip today. Uruguay team got robbed!!!

How about stepping up then? You seem to like to complain yet offer no solution or assistance. You are one of the reasons why refs quit.

Same thing happened at Harbor Links. A whole sideline after the game verbally harassed the ref. Only one parent came to the refs aid... you folks are disgusting and you will get what you deserve.

Like Reply Quote
Junior Soccer Advertisements

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Is there a long island referee shortage? Referees showing up late for games all weekend

To answer your question.... yes. Referees are leaving by the droves and getting new ones are harder to come by. Be prepared all season to possibly play your game without one.

You can thank all those crazy parents who sit in their chairs on the sidelines and verbally harass refs. You are the ones to blame. Yeah, you may have a terrible referee but remember its simply a game... not the freaking world cup. So get off your high horse and simply cheer for your team.
There is a shortage of refs but an abundance of bad one's that need to retire already. The "simply a game" is a stupid comment, teams practice hard and to have game results determined by bad refs is not acceptable.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I can answer this in one sentence...

"Where are all the referees? Out doing more enjoyable activities rather than putting up with your nonsense"

Like Reply Quote
Chief Rocker
Back of THE NET
Chief Rocker
Back of THE NET
I think that much of this 'shortage' problem will be remedied starting in the Spring when those EDP Cup and league games can no longer be played on Long Island resulting in freeing up much needed officiating resources.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

To answer your question.... yes. Referees are leaving by the droves and getting new ones are harder to come by. Be prepared all season to possibly play your game without one.

You can thank all those crazy parents who sit in their chairs on the sidelines and verbally harass refs. You are the ones to blame. Yeah, you may have a terrible referee but remember its simply a game... not the freaking world cup. So get off your high horse and simply cheer for your team.
There is a shortage of refs but an abundance of bad one's that need to retire already. The "simply a game" is a stupid comment, teams practice hard and to have game results determined by bad refs is not acceptable.

No... your the stupid one who thinks that youth soccer is the end all to end all. Keep on spending those thousands of dollars for your kid to go absolutely nowhere. How about you ref a game then?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Larry Miller
I think that much of this 'shortage' problem will be remedied starting in the Spring when those EDP Cup and league games can no longer be played on Long Island resulting in freeing up much needed officiating resources.

Hey Larry, does this mean that Long Island clubs like LGN-SB, West Islip, Massapequa ect., that play EDP will have to travel to NJ every week to play their league games?

Like Reply Quote
Chief Rocker
Back of THE NET
Chief Rocker
Back of THE NET

Hey Larry, does this mean that Long Island clubs like LGN-SB, West Islip, Massapequa ect., that play EDP will have to travel to NJ every week to play their league games?

Yes. My understanding is that starting in Spring that's how it will be. EDP Cup and EDP league games will no longer be able to played anywhere in Eastern New York. They will have to play in New Jersey since EDP is a New Jersey Club.

An accommodation was given to the teams currently playing EDP since there was not enough time to reschedule all te Fall games.

I know many of you are blaming ENYYSA, however you should be blaming Gary Grossman who bent the rules to the point that he broke them and screwed up all of the teams that lined his pockets for years. I don't understand why EDP doesn't send him packing because it is my opinion the negatives he brought EDP far outweigh the positives, and EDP could still have financially profited. It will be interesting to see how long that relationship lasts.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I can answer this in one sentence...

"Where are all the referees? Out doing more enjoyable activities rather than putting up with your nonsense"
For a big sub sect of refs these "enjoyable activities" will not involve any movement or exercise at all. Probably long naps and eating.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Ok, so there is already a referee shortage and you want more of the existing ones to retire. How exactly is that going to work out for the better?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Yes. My understanding is that starting in Spring that's how it will be. EDP Cup and EDP league games will no longer be able to played anywhere in Eastern New York. They will have to play in New Jersey since EDP is a New Jersey Club.

An accommodation was given to the teams currently playing EDP since there was not enough time to reschedule all te Fall games.

I know many of you are blaming ENYYSA, however you should be blaming Gary Grossman who bent the rules to the point that he broke them and screwed up all of the teams that lined his pockets for years. I don't understand why EDP doesn't send him packing because it is my opinion the negatives he brought EDP far outweigh the positives, and EDP could still have financially profited. It will be interesting to see how long that relationship lasts.

This doesn't seem fair to the teams that were never involved with Gary Grossman or his league. Will there be another option or are we all going back to LIJSL?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
As a referee I have now limited my games to (2) per day. You get my best but many games that I used to cover now let a parent or coach officiate. That's my solution to the problem.

Like Reply Quote
Chief Rocker
Back of THE NET
Chief Rocker
Back of THE NET

This doesn't seem fair to the teams that were never involved with Gary Grossman or his league. Will there be another option or are we all going back to LIJSL?

Yes, there is another option which should be announced either this week or next week.I a m waiting for the leagues to vote on this matter.

I can tell that a commissioner or whatever the head person’s title will be has been identified for Long Island & NYC.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

EDP Premier I and Premier II will still be played in ENYYSA as those are the true "National Conference" divisions. It's the Premier III and below that are at risk of all of them being played in New Jersey.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
As a referee I have now limited my games to (2) per day. You get my best but many games that I used to cover now let a parent or coach officiate. That's my solution to the problem.
Great! You recognized your limitations and acted on them, you should be appluaded.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Great! You recognized your limitations and acted on them, you should be appluaded.

Not looking for any recognition. Maybe if we actually adhered to the original USSF initiatives of 7 v 7 where scores and standings are not to be recorded, the referee abuse would diminish and we could properly train referees. The U8 -U10 would be officiated by coaches, parents and trainers. But the academies would never allow that as the $$$ would dry up.

Like Reply Quote
Chief Rocker
Back of THE NET
Chief Rocker
Back of THE NET

Not looking for any recognition. Maybe if we actually adhered to the original USSF initiatives of 7 v 7 where scores and standings are not to be recorded, the referee abuse would diminish and we could properly train referees. The U8 -U10 would be officiated by coaches, parents and trainers. But the academies would never allow that as the $$$ would dry up.

I dont think it's the academies call. LISRA simply doesnt have to assign referees for those age groups across the board.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I dont think it's the academies call. LISRA simply doesnt have to assign referees for those age groups across the board.

I disagree. The scores and standings for 7v7 are not posted and there are no standings kept in EDP/NYSC. They do follow the USSF initiative. The money doesnt dry up. More and more go to private clubs at younger ages because the children get better training and a better start on soccer.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Correct Larry. Any small sided games should be officiated by a parent. That frees up the older age groups to get a full crew. Only downside to that is that new referees starting out need to get trained and the younger kids are the best way to do it.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Correct Larry. Any small sided games should be officiated by a parent. That frees up the older age groups to get a full crew. Only downside to that is that new referees starting out need to get trained and the younger kids are the best way to do it.

Going with a random parent is just asking for problems if that were the default. Only in the case where a certified center is unavailable do you then go with the parent substitute route. That being said I would completely support anything below the 3rd or 4th division in any normally full-sized field age group being played 9v9 on the U11/U12 field with parent AR's supplementing the center certified ref. By playing on a smaller field it would allow the CR to reasonably call offsides without the aid of trained ARs and it would allow more lower level rec teams to field as the # of players needed is lower. Plus it would be more fun for the lower quality players as you wouldn't have long stretches of the ball being 50 or 60 yards away leaving you with little to do.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Going with a random parent is just asking for problems if that were the default. Only in the case where a certified center is unavailable do you then go with the parent substitute route. That being said I would completely support anything below the 3rd or 4th division in any normally full-sized field age group being played 9v9 on the U11/U12 field with parent AR's supplementing the center certified ref. By playing on a smaller field it would allow the CR to reasonably call offsides without the aid of trained ARs and it would allow more lower level rec teams to field as the # of players needed is lower. Plus it would be more fun for the lower quality players as you wouldn't have long stretches of the ball being 50 or 60 yards away leaving you with little to do.

Unfortunately the USSF policy is to assign the highest age levels first then work your way down. By the time you get to the younger ages most if not all refs would be assigned. USSoccer allows any U9-12 game to be played with a parent referee while U-13 and up most have a certified official.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My kids are older and fortunately had referees cover their games. But do parents actually officiate younger games? How is this possible and allowed for a sanctioned game? Would there be a major risk of litigation if a player gets seriously injured?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My kids are older and fortunately had referees cover their games. But do parents actually officiate younger games? How is this possible and allowed for a sanctioned game? Would there be a major risk of litigation if a player gets seriously injured?

Our 7 games last weekend from U9-U11 were all handled by referees. They were also some of the better ones that usually do older games but with the HS ages on a break it was great to see.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Ok, so there is already a referee shortage and you want more of the existing ones to retire. How exactly is that going to work out for the better?

Business 101: Steve Jobs has a saying that A players hire A players; B players hire C players; and C players hire D players. It doesn't take long to get to Z players. This trickle-down effect causes bozo explosions in companies.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Business 101: Steve Jobs has a saying that A players hire A players; B players hire C players; and C players hire D players. It doesn't take long to get to Z players. This trickle-down effect causes bozo explosions in companies.

What in the world does that have to do with the referee shortage?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

What in the world does that have to do with the referee shortage?
Exactly and Steve Jobs was an asshole who screwed over his best friend, and best mind he ever had working for him for a few thousand dollars. He treated everyone like [****], so anyone ever quoting jobs on how to deal with people is literally quoting one of the worst examples of a human that was out there. This is the same man, who refused for a long time, to even acknowledge his daughter even existed.

Like Reply Quote
Page 27 of 29 1 2 25 26 27 28 29
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard
Nobody Does It Better
Friends of BOTN

Newest Members
Fox Soccer, Tloader2, NHPRed09, ElmontSC26, BDADAA