Fall '21 Schedules, Scores & Standings: | CJSL | DPL | G-ECNL | G-ECRL | B-ECNL | B-ECRL | Challenge Cup | EDP | EHYSL | GA
| LIJSL |MLS NXT | National League | NCSANJ | NEAL | ENY State Cup | WYSL | CDYSL | Section 1 HS (West.) Boys |Girls

Forum Search
Fall 2021
Scores & Standings
Girls Academy League
GA Schedule & Standings
MLS Next Scores & Standings
Scores & Standings
National League
North Atlantic
EDP 2021/2022
Scores & Standings
WYSL Scores & Standings
Fall '21 Scores & Standings
ENY State Cups 2021-2022
Challenge Cup
NY State Cup
Maxpreps High School
New York
New Jersey
Connecticut
Maryland
Latest Posts
BHS (2005:U17, 2004:U18, 2003:U19)
by Anonymous - 09/20/21 09:26 PM
G2008:U14 Fall 2021/Spring 2022
by Anonymous - 09/20/21 09:16 PM
Where are all the Referees?
by Anonymous - 09/20/21 08:55 PM
Stony Brook SC & Atletico FC Merge
by Anonymous - 09/20/21 06:12 PM
G2009:U13 Fall 2021/Spring 2022
by Anonymous - 09/20/21 06:01 PM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Larry Miller), 43 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 26 of 29 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 29
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
I agree that spectators have rights to be happy or unhappy with referee calls. What they do not have the right to do is act like a spoiled brat/child. This is when the referee must take action. If you can't control your emotions then prepare to deal with the consequences
I totally agree with you. There are some posting here however who feel no one should show ANY displeasure or questioning of the referee. They also insist that other parents should be the ones responsible for controlling others instead of using the tools that have been given to them.

No body insisting that other parents should be policing other parents but It would be very helpful for the game if you hear that a spectator (let's say a parent from your team) which sits next to you starts appealing to a referee for a bad call or no call and you help to calm down that person before it gets escalated. That's all as a referee I would ask. -Cheers

Like Reply Quote
Junior Soccer Advertisements

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
No body insisting that other parents should be policing other parents but It would be very helpful for the game if you hear that a spectator (let's say a parent from your team) which sits next to you starts appealing to a referee for a bad call or no call and you help to calm down that person before it gets escalated. That's all as a referee I would ask. -Cheers
I'm guessing you haven't read the entire thread. There are definitely those who say parents should police other parents. I've tried. It didn't go well.

A funny story... we were watching my daughter play in the state president's cup semi-final. My son, who is two years older and also a ref (but was there as a spectator) kept explaining the refs calls and keeping our fans relatively calm. Deep into the second half, the ref makes a questionable call, one of the other parents ask my son to explain the call and my son said "I'm trying give the ref the benefit of the doubt, but he's making it hard." We all got a good laugh out of that.

I'll readily admit refs have different angles and can get blocked from seeing what we see (or can see something we can't). It's when they don't apply the rules correctly that I'll get upset.

Two examples...
1) HS Girls V. Player A1 is walking back from an attack (she's a forward) while the ball is being played in A's defensive half. Player A2 gets the ball about midfield (but in her defensive half) and dribbles past B's defensive line (within 5 yards of midfield). A1 *IS* offside, but at least 20 yards from A2 (side to side). A2 is continuing her dribble. Flag goes up for offside. A1 was NEVER involved in the play. No one was covering her and the ball never went near her. Verified by video after the game.
2) Young (U10/U11) club game. Team B has a PK. B1 shanks the kick, it hits the post and bounces back to him where he proceeds to put it in the back of the net. Goal counted.

Did either game "matter"? Nope. Do I think all refs are terrible, lazy, and don't know the rules? Absolutely not. Do refs deserve to be harassed, threatened, or abused? Not for one second. But I think there's a pretty big line between "harassment/threats/abuse" and questioning/commenting on a call.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Speak to your coach and have your coach go through the proper channels to have this dealt with. You taking it into your own hands will only make things worse. Coaches have avenues through the league to get this stuff dealt with.

Speak to the coach when? After the game? How does that help what is going on DURING the game. And I'm 99% certain that the coach going through "proper channels" in order to "have this dealt with" will result in absolutely nothing happening. We've already established that I cannot engage the referee myself, as that would make me a bad soccer parent. LIRef77, what do you say?

Disclosure: I am a referee and a parent from California.
Yes, if you feel a referee is not capable of handling a game like "ignoring egregious fouls, or fails to card persistent and/or egregious fouls where a player safety could becomes an issue" you must file a report with what ever organization that is in charge of that referee. Your team administrator or team coach or club admin will tell and guide you how to do it as it's part of their jobs. And trust me your complain will be taken very seriously and proper investigation will be conducted. Both coaches will be contacted and asked their perspective of the game. It happens all the times. The organization will send their official to observe and qualify that referee following games. The referee rank could be downed and sometimes referee would be not allowed to ref games for particular ref organization; that how it handles in my area.

Good that you understand you can't engage the referee during or after the game as it wouldn't make you bad soccer parent but will make you much worse than a bad parent.
As a parent I feel your pain to see your kids, sometimes, getting hurt due to inaction of referee. As a referee myself I can admit that quality of youth refereeing is far from satisfying level. But I also know that people who are in charge of referee organizations are working very hard to find new referees and working with existing pool of referees to make it better.
On another note, I don't get what people saying about paying or not paying to see games and because of that what spectators can or can not do. In my opinion, spectators have all rights be happy or unhappy with the referee calls. If you are not happy then scream about bad calls just don't make it personal and aim at an official.

Thank you for your response. You make some good points. The only thing I can say is that perhaps things work differently in California. Welcome to New York where no one gives a crap. Nothing will happen - a complaint will never get past the coach/admin level at the club, let alone to any referee association. Even bringing such an issue to your coach's/club's attention will flag one as a problem parent, and, in a worst-case scenario, this could negatively impact your kid.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Talk to your coach, failing that, pull your kid from the game and go home. If player safety is really the issue, why are you letting him continue to play?

OK, please walk me through the steps that I would take to pull my kid off the field in the middle of a game. Should I walk onto the field and stop the game so he can leave? Should I walk over to the other side of the field and tell the coach that he needs to pull my kid out of the game so we can go home? There are 21 other kids on the field, should I not care about their safety, as long as my kid is not affected? What if all substitutes have been made and my kid walks out of the game, leaving his team to continue shorthanded? How do you think that would go over? If this is the solution, then why do we need referees at all? Just led the kids have at it. A referee is being paid to ensure the safety of the players. You're damn straight that if my kid gets injured due to a non-call I will yell at and criticize the referee, and I don't think that most other parents would quietly watch this happen to their kid either. Do your job and keep the kids safe and you will never hear a peep out of me.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Talk to your coach, failing that, pull your kid from the game and go home. If player safety is really the issue, why are you letting him continue to play?

OK, please walk me through the steps that I would take to pull my kid off the field in the middle of a game. Should I walk onto the field and stop the game so he can leave? Should I walk over to the other side of the field and tell the coach that he needs to pull my kid out of the game so we can go home? There are 21 other kids on the field, should I not care about their safety, as long as my kid is not affected? What if all substitutes have been made and my kid walks out of the game, leaving his team to continue shorthanded? How do you think that would go over? If this is the solution, then why do we need referees at all? Just led the kids have at it. A referee is being paid to ensure the safety of the players. You're damn straight that if my kid gets injured due to a non-call I will yell at and criticize the referee, and I don't think that most other parents would quietly watch this happen to their kid either. Do your job and keep the kids safe and you will never hear a peep out of me.

As a parent you are responsible for your child's safety. If you feel that the referee and your coaches are putting your kid in danger, then of course you should pull your child. And if the other parents agree they should pull their kids as well.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

That is a really good question what action makes parent to think it's not safe for a kid to be on the field. For some a little push with no call is a big thing especially if it's your kid was pushed. I've seen some parents rushing to the field to check on their kid and scream at the referee for not calling it- would you say it's to much of reaction? Let's say two players are running for a ball and one pushes another and a kid goes down hard and there is no call - would you be in the face of referee for that case? What if referee called it, would you scream for referee that a player needed to be red carded as it was jeopardizing safety of your kid. The point I am trying to make is that same case/situation would trigger different reaction from different people. Some people got easily upset if, in their opinion, offside was/wasn't call right and they unleash at the referees event if it's a teenager who just started working as a referee. You can continue arguing about if a paid referee has no excuses of not referring ideal game but it's useless point.

But, I say this, if a game really going out of hands and a referee is not capable of controlling it then it's a coach duty to call it quit and take all kids from the field. It's youth sport and the safety of the players is the priority for the coach. If your coach continue coaching a game without addressing the situation then maybe it's not that bad and you are just overreacting parent? - Just a thought.

P.S. Sorry, I am bringing coaches in that very sensitive subject as I am not event sure if they can handle it properly. I have seen coaches going crazy over very little things like the whistle wasn't load enough for them.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

As a parent you are responsible for your child's safety. If you feel that the referee and your coaches are putting your kid in danger, then of course you should pull your child. And if the other parents agree they should pull their kids as well.

Again, please tell me how to go about pulling my child from a game. Be specific.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

That is a really good question what action makes parent to think it's not safe for a kid to be on the field. For some a little push with no call is a big thing especially if it's your kid was pushed. I've seen some parents rushing to the field to check on their kid and scream at the referee for not calling it- would you say it's to much of reaction? Let's say two players are running for a ball and one pushes another and a kid goes down hard and there is no call - would you be in the face of referee for that case? What if referee called it, would you scream for referee that a player needed to be red carded as it was jeopardizing safety of your kid. The point I am trying to make is that same case/situation would trigger different reaction from different people. Some people got easily upset if, in their opinion, offside was/wasn't call right and they unleash at the referees event if it's a teenager who just started working as a referee. You can continue arguing about if a paid referee has no excuses of not referring ideal game but it's useless point.

But, I say this, if a game really going out of hands and a referee is not capable of controlling it then it's a coach duty to call it quit and take all kids from the field. It's youth sport and the safety of the players is the priority for the coach. If your coach continue coaching a game without addressing the situation then maybe it's not that bad and you are just overreacting parent? - Just a thought.

P.S. Sorry, I am bringing coaches in that very sensitive subject as I am not event sure if they can handle it properly. I have seen coaches going crazy over very little things like the whistle wasn't load enough for them.

I have several USSF and NSCAA/United Soccer Coaches licenses, I am 51 years old, and have been around the game as a player or coach for 45 years. I know what is and isn't a foul, and which fouls warrant carding. As a parent, I would never vocalize my feelings to a referee about an offside call (or lack thereof), or something that has no real impact on player safety. I am talking about fouls so blatant that that no objective person could question - taking a player's legs out with studs showing, high kicks in the area of a player's head, larger players literally throwing smaller players to the ground, elbows to the face, etc. My kid is HS-age and plays at an elite level, and I have seen this type of stuff literally ignored by referees more times than I care to remember. I guess there just simply aren't enough referees to begin with, so it shouldn't be surprising that bad ones are tolerated so easily.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have several USSF and NSCAA/United Soccer Coaches licenses, I am 51 years old, and have been around the game as a player or coach for 45 years. I know what is and isn't a foul, and which fouls warrant carding. As a parent, I would never vocalize my feelings to a referee about an offside call (or lack thereof), or something that has no real impact on player safety. I am talking about fouls so blatant that that no objective person could question - taking a player's legs out with studs showing, high kicks in the area of a player's head, larger players literally throwing smaller players to the ground, elbows to the face, etc. My kid is HS-age and plays at an elite level, and I have seen this type of stuff literally ignored by referees more times than I care to remember. I guess there just simply aren't enough referees to begin with, so it shouldn't be surprising that bad ones are tolerated so easily.

No arguing here. I was a referee at one tournament and was waiting among other referees for my game. So while waiting we were watching the game is in progress when one player just took a player down with such a violent force. He didn't even try to play the ball. And there was no call what so ever. I was in disbelieve and told other referees that I would issue a red card on the spot for such violent play. One referee, looked like in his 60th, looked at me and told me that I don't understand the game and it's nothing just boys playing hard. I told him that I've been playing soccer all my life and asked him about his soccer experience which he said he never played soccer but football and he believes in hard hitting game. I didn't say anything but for myself I knew I would never sign for the game if I see his name. There are quite a few good adult referees but also there are quite a few referees who are not qualified to do games but because of referee shortage they are around. And, I am not talking about high schoolers who would do refereeing for a few years and then stop due going to college and etc. So, the ref orgs get new once but you can't expect those guys/girls to become good quality referees though some of the youngsters are quite good.

Like Reply Quote
L
Back of THE NET
Back of THE NET
L
I was also a player and a coach but the idea that a referee who did not play the game has a problem with foul recognition or what constitutes a red card is a false narrative. It should not matter.

If you are a USSF certified referee you should know enough about what constitutes a foul. Referees are not required to have playing experience but they are required to enforce the laws of the game.

I do know that referees at tournaments seem much less likely to show a card and seem to be encouraged to not show a card but the game is no different at a tournament than it is any other time.

I have witnessed tournament officials threaten referees with never being allowed to referee at future tournaments based on how they called a game. This is a meaningless threat that should never happen and should be reported.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by LIRef77
I was also a player and a coach but the idea that a referee who did not play the game has a problem with foul recognition or what constitutes a red card is a false narrative. It should not matter.

If you are a USSF certified referee you should know enough about what constitutes a foul. Referees are not required to have playing experience but they are required to enforce the laws of the game.

I do know that referees at tournaments seem much less likely to show a card and seem to be encouraged to not show a card but the game is no different at a tournament than it is any other time.

I have witnessed tournament officials threaten referees with never being allowed to referee at future tournaments based on how they called a game. This is a meaningless threat that should never happen and should be reported.

My point wasn't about if a referee played or not played soccer himself or about tournaments. My point was that some referee interpreter differently Laws of the Game. You can talk a lot about "USSF certified referee you should know enough about what constitutes a foul" which is what it should be but in reality what we see on the fields is very different. What drives parents/coaches/spectators crazy is inconsistency in calls. We referees often point out that parents and sometimes coaches don't know the rules or recent changes in the rules but again inconsistency in referees calls not helping. I am just trying to be honest. .

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Again, please tell me how to go about pulling my child from a game. Be specific.

"Hey, son/daughter, it's too dangerous out there. We are leaving. Let's go."

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

It does matter though. You see it most with the daddy refs that never played that call nonsense contact "because someone might get hurt" that should never be a foul but then miss the subtle things that knock players off balance or disrupt the attack. If you never played, you just don't know what things feel like.

The tournament can hire or not hire whoever they want. If that's bad for the refs or the teams, they have to vote with their feet.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

It does matter though. You see it most with the daddy refs that never played that call nonsense contact "because someone might get hurt" that should never be a foul but then miss the subtle things that knock players off balance or disrupt the attack. If you never played, you just don't know what things feel like.

The tournament can hire or not hire whoever they want. If that's bad for the refs or the teams, they have to vote with their feet.

Sports are full of coaches that never played their sports past HS.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

My point wasn't about if a referee played or not played soccer himself or about tournaments. My point was that some referee interpreter differently Laws of the Game. You can talk a lot about "USSF certified referee you should know enough about what constitutes a foul" which is what it should be but in reality what we see on the fields is very different. What drives parents/coaches/spectators crazy is inconsistency in calls. We referees often point out that parents and sometimes coaches don't know the rules or recent changes in the rules but again inconsistency in referees calls not helping. I am just trying to be honest. .

That is true for all referees at all sports at all levels. Any time you leave something up to interpretation, there is always the chance that one referee will or will not a call the same way as another. I'm a 10 year veteran referee and I ref a lot of games each year and I watch a lot of soccer. I sometimes watch refs at the highest level and disagree with calls or can't believe some calls aren't made. When you have a decision to make in a split second with only your view of the action causing that decision, there are going to be calls that are made that may not be perfect.

Like Reply Quote
L
Back of THE NET
Back of THE NET
L
Some good points but this was about how a player with cleats up takes out a player while having no chance of getting to the ball. There should be no “interpretation problem with this, if it happened as described it is a RED CARD.
It’s called serious foul play.

From Law 12-Fouls and Misconduct-

Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force or endangers the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Some good points but this was about how a player with cleats up takes out a player while having no chance of getting to the ball. There should be no “interpretation problem with this, if it happened as described it is a RED CARD.
It’s called serious foul play.

From Law 12-Fouls and Misconduct-

Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force or endangers the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play.

A few years ago I signed up for a refresher class for existing referees. We were shown some video clips with cases when a player challenged another player and we were asked which case would be categorized as yellow or red card. Guess what, for almost each case, it was 50/50. Half of us were saying yellow and another half was saying they would show red. Give me a break, what's so straight forward about definition "excessive force". Those who never experienced playing themselves usually were on the wrong side. But even some "experienced" referees weren't correct in some cases.
I know, in some cases, we referee make wrong calls or no call when it must and parents have the rights to be mad about but some parents just don't want to understand that majority of referees are just some dads and moms and our 13-17 years old kids who took a couple days of class and got a referee license. Some doing better than others. And without them it would be impossible to have all those league and tournaments games. I wish I could say to all those crazy ones please chill up, aloha but I know it's not going work with some folks no matter what.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
with the newly strengthened zero tolerance policy by ENYYSA - refs will be walking unless you parents and coaches keep your mouth's shut. Long time coming.
Now we dont have to put up with your whinning/crying/complaining.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
with the newly strengthened zero tolerance policy by ENYYSA - refs will be walking unless you parents and coaches keep your mouth's shut. Long time coming.
Why did you put up with it before? Why didn't you kick the whining/crying/complaining people out?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The refs have always had the ability to end games whenever they want for just about any reason. And a "zero tolerance" policy has been in effect for quite a while. I don't see this changing anything. The only way things are really going to change is if clubs start taking a stronger stand against known problem people in their clubs, which includes players, coaches and parents. The referees have no idea if the people at that game are always problems or just having a rare off day so they are far more likely to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The refs have always had the ability to end games whenever they want for just about any reason. And a "zero tolerance" policy has been in effect for quite a while. I don't see this changing anything. The only way things are really going to change is if clubs start taking a stronger stand against known problem people in their clubs, which includes players, coaches and parents. The referees have no idea if the people at that game are always problems or just having a rare off day so they are far more likely to give them the benefit of the doubt.

I agree with your saying that if clubs start taking a stronger stand against troublemakers it could dramatically improve the situation. Usually, in the beginning of the season clubs send e-mail to remind parents about staying calm during the game and etc. It's not enough. Clubs get involved only when something very serious happens. Because clubs only existence depends on parents paying their fees they don't want to get involved into into situation when parents can get mad and leave the club. Some clubs are more exposed to this dependency and some are less exposed. But it's also a referee organization need to demand from referees to report every even a small incident with parents or coaches happened during the game that clubs could know and take appropriate actions.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Is there a long island referee shortage? Referees showing up late for games all weekend

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Is there a long island referee shortage? Referees showing up late for games all weekend

To answer your question.... yes. Referees are leaving by the droves and getting new ones are harder to come by. Be prepared all season to possibly play your game without one.

You can thank all those crazy parents who sit in their chairs on the sidelines and verbally harass refs. You are the ones to blame. Yeah, you may have a terrible referee but remember its simply a game... not the freaking world cup. So get off your high horse and simply cheer for your team.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
There is definitely a shortage of competent referees ,especially out in Islip today. Uruguay team got robbed!!!

Like Reply Quote
L
Back of THE NET
Back of THE NET
L
I was at the Floyd vs Bayshore girls game last week which we had two refs but we might as well have had two people trespassing on the field. It was so bad that the Bayshore coach received a red card because he refused to get off the field. As a Floyd parent I understand his frustration. Our goalie in the second half walked the ball out of the 18 3 separate times with two of them at least 10 yards pasted the 18 without a single call being made. Bayshore had a girl that must have slide tackled players about 10 times without a call. The game would have been officiated better by the geese outside the field. I can deal with a missed call but when the safety of the players on field has no margin for error. I would rather have a parent as the AR and field ref then these old, out of shape men. I have seen my daughter play 300 plus games since u9 and this was by far the worst officiated game i have ever seen.

Like Reply Quote
Page 26 of 29 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 29
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard
Nobody Does It Better
Friends of BOTN

Newest Members
Fox Soccer, Tloader2, NHPRed09, ElmontSC26, BDADAA