Latest Posts
ECRL
by Anonymous - 07/23/21 11:30 AM
ENYYSA Shuts Down the NYCSL League
by Cross It 4 Fun - 07/22/21 11:07 PM
G2008:U13 Fall 2020/Spring 2021
by Anonymous - 07/22/21 03:33 PM
Who's Online Now
2 members (Larry Miller, Gene Sepe), 54 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
BOTN Translation
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics9,031
Posts529,098
Members15,059
Most Online2,013
Jan 26th, 2014
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 23 of 24 1 2 21 22 23 24
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Question for the refs: Do you add time on to the game for time spent doing substitutions? Kid played in a game recently where the ref would not end the game. Kept adding time even though there was not one stoppage for injury or anything else out of the ordinary. Eventually a team scored to break the tie and then the game was ended even though the ref said 3 minutes left 10 minutes ago.

something like that

Allowance for time lost
Allowance is made by the referee in each half for all time lost in that half
through:
• substitutions
• assessment and/or removal of injured players
• wasting time
• disciplinary sanctions
• stoppages for drinks or other medical reasons permitted by
competition rules
• any other cause, including any significant delay to a restart
(e.g. goal celebrations)

Like Reply Quote
Junior Soccer Advertisements

L
Back of THE NET
Back of THE NET
L
I had a coach get mad at me for ending the game on a corner kick after the time had expired. He proceeded to yell across the field that I'm not allowed to do that. "In my 10 years in soccer I have never seen this." Sucks when you have coaches who don't know the game.

Never heard the ball must be in play to stop game for half or end.

The half ends when the allotted time expires regardless of where the ball is. The half can end with a corner kick ball in flight towards the goal. When the clock hits 0:00 the ref has the authority to blow the whistle and stop play,
The problem is many referees (from pro to youth matches) wait until the ball is in play to blow the whistle, even after time has expired. Prime example... youth game last weekend... into stoppage time, and I think a minute past. Ball goes out for a goal kick. From the time the ball went out until the GK put it in play was 20 seconds. GK kicks the ball, then, before the ball hits another player, TWEET! Halftime.

Why? Just blow the whistle before the ball goes back into play. Yes, I know 20 seconds isn't a lot, and it's not about 20 seconds.

Well, a good number of times as I ref there was time on the clock when the ball went out of bounds and then the team with the ball takes literally 30 seconds or longer to get the ball back in play, putting the game into extra time whether I wanted to or not. At that point I'd feel stupid ending the half before the kick, having waited so long for the play to restart but I also don't want to let the game continue unless there was an immediate obvious scoring chance after play does restart. Basically, if the ball is clearly heading out to midfield on the restart, I'll quick whistle it. If the restart is flubbed and the offensive team gains the ball in shooting range, I'm going to let them take that scoring chance.

There are a number of good reasons to wait before blowing the whistle to end the half or game as you add time for the reasons mentioned before. That would include excessive substitutions with no clear strategic reason other than to waste time.

BUT, if a team is taking THIRTY SECONDS (?) to restart the game that can be fixed quite quickly. It’s called DELAY OF RESTART and it is a yellow card. Wasting time that way is unsporting especially if you are doing it to protect a lead. Thirty seconds is a very long time to wait for a restart.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by LIRef77
[quote=Anonymous]I had a coach get mad at me for ending the game on a corner kick after the time had expired. He proceeded to yell across the field that I'm not allowed to do that. "In my 10 years in soccer I have never seen this." Sucks when you have coaches who don't know the game.

The half ends when the allotted time expires regardless of where the ball is. The half can end with a corner kick ball in flight towards the goal. When the clock hits 0:00 the ref has the authority to blow the whistle and stop play,
The problem is many referees (from pro to youth matches) wait until the ball is in play to blow the whistle, even after time has expired. Prime example... youth game last weekend... into stoppage time, and I think a minute past. Ball goes out for a goal kick. From the time the ball went out until the GK put it in play was 20 seconds. GK kicks the ball, then, before the ball hits another player, TWEET! Halftime.

Why? Just blow the whistle before the ball goes back into play. Yes, I know 20 seconds isn't a lot, and it's not about 20 seconds.

Well, a good number of times as I ref there was time on the clock when the ball went out of bounds and then the team with the ball takes literally 30 seconds or longer to get the ball back in play, putting the game into extra time whether I wanted to or not. At that point I'd feel stupid ending the half before the kick, having waited so long for the play to restart but I also don't want to let the game continue unless there was an immediate obvious scoring chance after play does restart. Basically, if the ball is clearly heading out to midfield on the restart, I'll quick whistle it. If the restart is flubbed and the offensive team gains the ball in shooting range, I'm going to let them take that scoring chance.

There are a number of good reasons to wait before blowing the whistle to end the half or game as you add time for the reasons mentioned before. That would include excessive substitutions with no clear strategic reason other than to waste time.

BUT, if a team is taking THIRTY SECONDS (?) to restart the game that can be fixed quite quickly. It’s called DELAY OF RESTART and it is a yellow card. Wasting time that way is unsporting especially if you are doing it to protect a lead. Thirty seconds is a very long time to wait for a restart.

Thirty seconds is bizarre and unsportsmanlike. That player should incur a yellow. It's youth soccer, not the pros. The problem arises at a showcase when schedules are tight and you can't add time.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
30 seconds isn't necessarily extreme when the ball goes over a fence and down a hill. I was surprised the refs didn't ask for the teams to supply extra balls to keep playing. Nope. The GK would have to climb over the fence (about waist high), go get the ball, bring it back, and climb back over the fence.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
30 seconds isn't necessarily extreme when the ball goes over a fence and down a hill. I was surprised the refs didn't ask for the teams to supply extra balls to keep playing. Nope. The GK would have to climb over the fence (about waist high), go get the ball, bring it back, and climb back over the fence.

A couple of yrs ago daughters team is losing 2-0 with around 5 mins to play. We take a shot goalie makes the save, she then punts the ball backwards into the forest. Ref gives her a Yellow she then says something to Ref who then gives her a Red. They had no backup goalie and they used a field player well we scored 3 goals and won the game

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Savage! But deserved.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Unfortunately there is no consistency with the refs. Some add time and some stick with the clock as is. And no one knows until the whistle is blown.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Unfortunately there is no consistency with the refs. Some add time and some stick with the clock as is. And no one knows until the whistle is blown.

The refs schedule probably plays a part in this as well. If the games are running behind and the ref has to immediately rush off to another location to ref another game, there is going to be less chance of extra time. Personally I don't see much purpose to extra time for youth soccer unless there is some real obvious time wasting in the last couple of minutes.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The refs schedule probably plays a part in this as well. If the games are running behind and the ref has to immediately rush off to another location to ref another game, there is going to be less chance of extra time. Personally I don't see much purpose to extra time for youth soccer unless there is some real obvious time wasting in the last couple of minutes.

I will add time even if I know I'm going to be late for my next assignment IF - it is deserved - yes we referees have a lot of discretion over how much time to add based on injuries, cards, unusual stoppages, time wasting, excessive substitutions. I will always yell out "Adding 3 coaches" to let them know I am adding 3 minutes just as regular time is about to expire but I don't think many refs do that nor are they obligated to. I was a coach for a long time so I know they appreciate it. Also IF it is necessary - in a 5-0 where one team is clearly dominating game I'm not going to add 2 minutes- what purpose would it serve? Unfortunately due to the shortage of refs (remember - the reason this thread was started) many refs are scrambling to get to their next field due to tight scheduling.

Like Reply Quote
L
Back of THE NET
Back of THE NET
L

Very true referees have busy challenging schedules, and some have to travel significant distances to work different games. But to be technically correct is is referred to as stoppage or added time. Extra time is when a match has to declare a winner because it cannot end in a tie. The match is extended with two equal periods of EXTRA time unless the rules of the match has a “golden goal” or “sudden death”. If it is still tied after extra time then it goes to Kicks from the mark or what is commonly referred to as penalty kicks.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Its the end of an era. I have been an official for quite some time. I am tried of the abuse and the criticism of parents and coaches. I wish I had a dollar for every time I heard a coach or parent criticize me after a game. They never held back and I wont either. I am sick and tired of you armchair cheeseburger idiots who dont know their butt from their elbow. You jump in your car and yell out the window as you drive away. How mature of you. You are the LOSER and your kid gave up the winning goal bc the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.
many of you criticize while on the pitch. Its sad for your child when I hold up a game while you walk to the parking lot before I restart. You cant run so you wobble like a fat penguin to your car. You are a sad bunch of cheesburgers. No respect for me = no respect for you eat another cheeseburger.
You all deserve 0 sportsmanship points.
I am hanging up my boots. Next game without an official - you need to get your fat butt off the chair or go home early. Either way - the ref has left the building. STFU

Like Reply Quote
L
Back of THE NET
Back of THE NET
L
Its the end of an era. I have been an official for quite some time. I am tried of the abuse and the criticism of parents and coaches. I wish I had a dollar for every time I heard a coach or parent criticize me after a game. They never held back and I wont either. I am sick and tired of you armchair cheeseburger idiots who dont know their butt from their elbow. You jump in your car and yell out the window as you drive away. How mature of you. You are the LOSER and your kid gave up the winning goal bc the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.
many of you criticize while on the pitch. Its sad for your child when I hold up a game while you walk to the parking lot before I restart. You cant run so you wobble like a fat penguin to your car. You are a sad bunch of cheesburgers. No respect for me = no respect for you eat another cheeseburger.
I am hanging up my boots. Next game without an official - you need to get your fat butt off the chair or go home early. Either way - the ref has left the building. STFU

I’m sorry to see you retire. The attrition rate is already quite high and the referee population is aging fast. We need more young referees. If this was easy, everyone would be doing it, but it is not.

But as referees we need to take the higher ground and maintain our dignity and not stoop to the disgraceful behavior or language that a minority of people actually display.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
At what age are there three refs for games

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
At what age are there three refs for games
U13

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I’m sorry to see you retire. The attrition rate is already quite high and the referee population is aging fast. We need more young referees. If this was easy, everyone would be doing it, but it is not.

But as referees we need to take the higher ground and maintain our dignity and not stoop to the disgraceful behavior or language that a minority of people actually display.

This will only get worse. Until something is done unilaterally to curb this awful behavior more and more refs will simply quit. More games will also be terminated mid match as refs will simply walk away. As a parent I would never be able to deal with the amount of abuse these people take. I understand they are paid but no amount of money would make me have to deal with that. So to all you "cheeseburger" parents out there who sit on the sidelines and criticize.... if you can do better go out there and do it. Otherwise.... STFU!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
We all get upset about missed calls that effect the outcome of the game, win some, lose some. However, when ref's lose control of the game and they only call it one way and our athlete's get hurt as a result, this is a problem.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
We all get upset about missed calls that effect the outcome of the game, win some, lose some. However, when ref's lose control of the game and they only call it one way and our athlete's get hurt as a result, this is a problem.

From my experience most people that complain about the calls only going one way are people who have no clue about what actually constitutes a foul.

Like Reply Quote
L
Back of THE NET
Back of THE NET
L

Here we go with the same silly rationalized nonsense. “Miss a call” do you get upset also when your player misses the goal, all referees make mistakes, extremely few actually AFFECT the game. The name of the game is to put the ball in the back of the net more times than the other team, and if you are not able to do that then the team has work to do.

The idea that a referee will “call it one way” is another insultingly ridiculous and PARTISAN idea because you are NOT a neutral observer and are clearly showing your bias but I never expect a parent to be objective.

Isn’t the the very reason we use referees even for small sided games because you could never find a neutral unbiased coach or parent to do it as a neutral? Do we really need referees for 9 and 10 year olds? We are arbiters not partisans you are part of the problem that feeds the corrosive environment at a game.

I am not complaining just reporting what happens out there because when it happens to me I stop it stone cold and if I have to escalate the punishment I do because I am there for the enjoyment of the players and for the game, not you.

What are you doing for the game? It looks easy from the touch lines but it isn’t.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Here we go with the same silly rationalized nonsense. “Miss a call” do you get upset also when your player misses the goal, all referees make mistakes, extremely few actually AFFECT the game. The name of the game is to put the ball in the back of the net more times than the other team, and if you are not able to do that then the team has work to do.

The idea that a referee will “call it one way” is another insultingly ridiculous and PARTISAN idea because you are NOT a neutral observer and are clearly showing your bias but I never expect a parent to be objective.

Isn’t the the very reason we use referees even for small sided games because you could never find a neutral unbiased coach or parent to do it as a neutral? Do we really need referees for 9 and 10 year olds? We are arbiters not partisans you are part of the problem that feeds the corrosive environment at a game.

I am not complaining just reporting what happens out there because when it happens to me I stop it stone cold and if I have to escalate the punishment I do because I am there for the enjoyment of the players and for the game, not you.

What are you doing for the game? It looks easy from the touch lines but it isn’t.

While I mostly agree with you I have to say that in my opinion, spectators are parts of the game. So, as a referee, by making sure you take care of the game you are taking care of spectators as well. You can't say you're just not there for them. Cheers!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

While I mostly agree with you I have to say that in my opinion, spectators are parts of the game. So, as a referee, by making sure you take care of the game you are taking care of spectators as well. You can't say you're just not there for them. Cheers!

Spectators are not part of the game. Players, coaches, and substitutes are. Spectators are there simply to enjoy the game... not interject themselves. If you want to keep losing referees then keep believing this. Eventually you will find yourselves wondering why no referees are at your games.

From a parent who understands how difficult that job is.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Spectators are not part of the game. Players, coaches, and substitutes are. Spectators are there simply to enjoy the game... not interject themselves. If you want to keep losing referees then keep believing this. Eventually you will find yourselves wondering why no referees are at your games.

If a referee has authority to eject a single spectator or entire sideline or every spectator then how you can say they not part of the game? By the way, who needs sport without spectators?
I know some coaches say they would love not to see parents around as they just mess with their coaching ability to run the game or what ever (funny they say that as I never saw any coaching abilities from most of the coaches - my parent side is talking here)
follow same logic we should not allow coaches to attend the game as well and let team captain run the game. We all know how some coaches can be abusive toward referees and players as well - my referee side is talking here.
But to put all jokes aside there one thing that is missing from all sided which is RESPECT. All those bad apples have no respect to the people and to the game. And you have bad applies in some parents, in some coaches and also in some referees.

Like Reply Quote
L
Back of THE NET
Back of THE NET
L

Ok let’s find some common ground, let’s say that spectators while not directly part of the game, should be there to enjoy the game. It’s unruly spectators that should not be allowed to see any games that we are talking about, right?

If you want to cheer if you want to scream, fine just don’t be inappropriate, we all know what that means. Don’t we all want to be good role models for our children?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Can any referee on this site tell me when if they have ever went to a parent filming a game to see replay of how to call a throw in? I have witnessed ot first hand. Then witnessed a referee end that same game on a corner kick that clearly went through the side of the net then go over and high five every player on that winning team. What can be done about that referee? To the point that the opposing coach said that was [****]

Like Reply Quote
L
Back of THE NET
Back of THE NET
L
Can any referee on this site tell me when if they have ever went to a parent filming a game to see replay of how to call a throw in? I have witnessed ot first hand. Then witnessed a referee end that same game on a corner kick that clearly went through the side of the net then go over and high five every player on that winning team. What can be done about that referee? To the point that the opposing coach said that was [****]

Think about what you are saying-there is no VAR in youth soccer and it would not be legal to review a videotape taken by a parent or anyone else. I know if he got it wrong it is the end of the world but that’s the way the cookie crumbles, mistakes like that are rare.

Like Reply Quote
Chief Rocker
Back of THE NET
Chief Rocker
Back of THE NET
I said it before and I will say it again...the refs in total need to take a league weekend off, and I man that for all leagues. Maybe then the parents will stop the harassment of you guys and gals. Why anyone would want to sign up to be a youth ref is not something I understand unless you get off on being abused and denigrate?

Like Reply Quote
Page 23 of 24 1 2 21 22 23 24
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click Here!