Fall '20 Scores & Standings:| CJSL | G-ECNL | G-ECRL | B-ECNL | B-ECRL | EDP | GA | LIJSL | MLS NXT | NCSANJ | WYSL |

Signup 4 Newsletters

Forum Search
Fall 2020
Scores & Standings
Girls Academy League
GA Schedule & Standings
MLS Next Scores & Standings
Scores & Standings
National League Playoffs
2020-21 National Playoffs
EDP 2020/2021
Scores & Standings
WYSL Scores & Standings
Fall '20 Scores & Standings
LIJSL Scores & Standings
Scores & Standings
ENY State Cups 2020-2021
Challenge Cup
NY State Cup
Maxpreps High School
New York
New Jersey
Connecticut
Maryland
Latest Posts
Where are all the Referees?
by LIRef77 - 11/25/20 09:13 PM
G2008:U13 Fall 2020/Spring 2021
by Anonymous - 11/25/20 05:30 PM
Stony Brook SC & Atletico FC Merge
by Anonymous - 11/25/20 12:17 PM
B2010:U11 Fall 2020/Spring 2021
by Anonymous - 11/24/20 12:22 PM
BOTN en Espańol
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 17 of 18 1 2 15 16 17 18
Re: The new MLS youth league
Larry Miller #748366 10/08/20 10:02 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It's interesting that so many people on here look at the money spent on soccer for their kid purely as an investment against getting a scholarship or turning pro, without assigning $1 of the money spent to "providing my kid with the opportunity to do something they enjoy."

Kids do activities. Most of those activities cost money and have no financial return. I can buy my kid a guitar and pay a couple of grand a year for lessons without expecting him to become a rock star.

If you are spending $4000 a year on soccer and you believe your child is getting $4000 worth of non-financial value from it, good for you and your kid!

My kid played DA at U12 and learned a few things -- the value of practice, the camaraderie of playing on a team, the joy of being surrounded by kids who took soccer as seriously as he did, and, most relevant to this discussion, that he wasn't going to be an MLS player and probably wouldn't play in college.

But he still likes soccer and those other things, so I still pay thousands of dollars a year for him to play on a competitive team in a competitive league.

Also, as a parent with high school and up aged kids, I pass this advice on to parents of younger kids here -- your kids are more perceptive than you think, so if you're paying this money for your kid to play soccer because you think of it as first and foremost an investment, chances are your kid has picked up on that and feels a level of pressure that would surprise you.

Like Reply Quote
Junior Soccer Advertisements

Anonymous #748375 10/08/20 11:16 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
It's interesting that so many people on here look at the money spent on soccer for their kid purely as an investment against getting a scholarship or turning pro, without assigning $1 of the money spent to "providing my kid with the opportunity to do something they enjoy."

Kids do activities. Most of those activities cost money and have no financial return. I can buy my kid a guitar and pay a couple of grand a year for lessons without expecting him to become a rock star.

If you are spending $4000 a year on soccer and you believe your child is getting $4000 worth of non-financial value from it, good for you and your kid!

My kid played DA at U12 and learned a few things -- the value of practice, the camaraderie of playing on a team, the joy of being surrounded by kids who took soccer as seriously as he did, and, most relevant to this discussion, that he wasn't going to be an MLS player and probably wouldn't play in college.

But he still likes soccer and those other things, so I still pay thousands of dollars a year for him to play on a competitive team in a competitive league.

Also, as a parent with high school and up aged kids, I pass this advice on to parents of younger kids here -- your kids are more perceptive than you think, so if you're paying this money for your kid to play soccer because you think of it as first and foremost an investment, chances are your kid has picked up on that and feels a level of pressure that would surprise you.

AMEN!

Like Reply Quote
Larry Miller #748403 10/09/20 06:30 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The system is broken. The mls teams do NOT have better trainers. They come from the non mls clubs. Mls clubs get the better players most of the time because they are free and because parents hope their kid will become a pro. Also, it’s better to be at a mls club because the perception is that the players must be better than at non mls clubs. Your kid will get more exposure and probably a better college offer. This is NOT true for every player.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #748406 10/09/20 07:27 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Yup exactly

Like Reply Quote
Larry Miller #748435 10/09/20 01:59 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The system is broken. The mls teams do NOT have better trainers. They come from the non mls clubs. Mls clubs get the better players most of the time because they are free and because parents hope their kid will become a pro. Also, it’s better to be at a mls club because the perception is that the players must be better than at non mls clubs. Your kid will get more exposure and probably a better college offer. This is NOT true for every player.

The system is not broken in that regards. Where else trainers could come from? I am guessing MLS academies are looking for trainers with the reputations and certain credentials. They have the funds to afford those kind of coaches. And, it doesn't matter where they come from as long as they satisfy the club needs. As far as for good/better coach it's very subjective. And, there are many very good coaches who are coaching teams that are not in MLS or non-MLS league.
As for players on MLS teams to be better players vs non MLS teams. It is not because it's just free. Parents don't decide that their kids will be playing on those teams even it 's very attractive due the prestige and a free ride. It's because MLS team has much better choice of selection from much bigger player's pool.

Like Reply Quote
Larry Miller #748455 10/11/20 08:31 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Are you kidding. The system is totally broken. How are mls teams training better than non mls teams. In fact the opposite is true, that’s why you see Red Bull’s and nycfc always taking kids from PDA and MO. And the same is true of the trainers. The treason why people leave for mls teams is cause it’s free and the exposure.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #748458 10/11/20 10:43 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thats all very peachy but $4000 is a lot of money to most people, especially right now. How would you feel about paying that $4000 if little Johnny was sat on the bench or pushed down to the B team, and your $4000 subsidized a very talented kid whose family couldn't normally afford to play in this league? Nah? Didn't think so. This is why the system is broke in this country - soccer is a competitive team sport not piano lessons or extra math. Your money doesn't make your kid better at soccer it just makes him think he is. Meanwhile there are 100s of talented kids out there who will never be developed because they can't afford to buy a seat at the table for the key ages 10-14.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #748461 10/11/20 03:36 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thats all very peachy but $4000 is a lot of money to most people, especially right now. How would you feel about paying that $4000 if little Johnny was sat on the bench or pushed down to the B team, and your $4000 subsidized a very talented kid whose family couldn't normally afford to play in this league? Nah? Didn't think so. This is why the system is broke in this country - soccer is a competitive team sport not piano lessons or extra math. Your money doesn't make your kid better at soccer it just makes him think he is. Meanwhile there are 100s of talented kids out there who will never be developed because they can't afford to buy a seat at the table for the key ages 10-14.

There are many options for families who can't afford $4000. In every part of this area there are high-quality local clubs around that charge far less than $4000.

Sorry -- at least in this area, with such a density of competitive clubs, there are no amazing kids that aren't afforded the ability to play for a competitive club for a reduced fee or on a full scholarship.

The idea that there are these little Messis going undiscovered is BS. Maybe at the U-littles, because those are just money generators for the big clubs, but at U12 and above, it's just not happening. Yes, it's enabled by lesser skilled kids whose parents don't mind paying $4000 for the kids to barely play, but so be it. If you're OK with that, with eyes wide open, go ahead. If you don't like that, don't pay the money to have your kids sit on the bench.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #748479 10/12/20 09:53 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I would never pay those outrageous fees for my kids to play soccer. Both my sons got into a great college for free because of soccer. The system is broken because of all the delusional parents willing to pay any amount. You are all SUCKERS and most of your kids won't play in college.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #748483 10/12/20 11:31 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I would never pay those outrageous fees for my kids to play soccer. Both my sons got into a great college for free because of soccer. The system is broken because of all the delusional parents willing to pay any amount. You are all SUCKERS and most of your kids won't play in college.

The world needs more people like you lol. Not

Like Reply Quote
Larry Miller #748486 10/12/20 12:03 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Ouch, someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed

Like Reply Quote
Larry Miller #748825 10/24/20 12:23 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
U 19 nycfc lost to Susa. Wow

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #748834 10/24/20 09:55 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
U 19 nycfc lost to Susa. Wow

Wow!!!! Susa so good.

Like Reply Quote
Larry Miller #748837 10/25/20 08:44 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I can’t believe the incredible next generation could lose. Kids committed to major D1 couldn’t beat a lowly Long Island travel team

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #748840 10/25/20 11:00 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
NYCFC does not have a U18/19 team. That was their U17 team playing up

Like Reply Quote
Larry Miller #748842 10/25/20 02:16 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Sovv jv then that is their u19 team , an mls academy team that lost to a LI travel team. How sad. Losing with all those National tram kids

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #748844 10/25/20 04:41 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Sovv jv then that is their u19 team , an mls academy team that lost to a LI travel team. How sad. Losing with all those National tram kids
You wish your kid was in that pool of players.

Like Reply Quote
Larry Miller #748845 10/25/20 05:57 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Now I know why the national team sucks. Btw great comeback.

Like Reply Quote
Larry Miller #748849 10/25/20 08:25 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Susa ECNL teams are the top teams in the area. End of story.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #748850 10/25/20 11:05 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Susa ECNL teams are the top teams in the area. End of story.

Thats very comical! A few weeks ago barca 04s beat susa ECNL 3-1 and today barca b2002 beat susa ECNL 3-0 and barca is not better then nycfc bwg or metoval

Like Reply Quote
Larry Miller #748854 10/26/20 07:23 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This is a mls league site. Nobody cares about barca

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #748856 10/26/20 08:19 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

#susalife

Susa ECNL b07s are dominant. They spanked nycfc 08/09s! #facts

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #748858 10/26/20 08:53 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If at u17 you cannot beat a town u19 you're in bad shape wake up and smell the coffee

Like Reply Quote
Larry Miller #748860 10/26/20 09:08 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

#susalife

Susa ECNL b07s are dominant. They spanked nycfc 08/09s! #facts

I'll bite - Every club/team has stronger age groups than others.

2005 SUSA ECNL lost to New York SC 0-7. It was preseason but results wouldn't be any different.

Like Reply Quote
Larry Miller #748861 10/26/20 10:00 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Why are we talking about ECNL teams playing scrimmages? Means nothing. Let's get back to the MLS league. Gottschee, Met Oval, NYSC seem to be on par with NYCFC so far this season.

Like Reply Quote
Page 17 of 18 1 2 15 16 17 18
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click Here!