Fall '20 Scores & Standings:| CJSL | G-ECNL | G-ECRL | B-ECNL | B-ECRL | EDP | GA | LIJSL | MLS NXT | NCSANJ | WYSL |

Forum Search
Fall 2020
Scores & Standings
Girls Academy League
GA Schedule & Standings
MLS Next Scores & Standings
Scores & Standings
National League Playoffs
2020-21 National Playoffs
EDP 2020/2021
Scores & Standings
WYSL Scores & Standings
Fall '20 Scores & Standings
LIJSL Scores & Standings
Scores & Standings
ENY State Cups 2020-2021
Challenge Cup
NY State Cup
Maxpreps High School
New York
New Jersey
Connecticut
Maryland
Latest Posts
G2010:U11 Fall 2020/Spring 2021
by LIRef77 - 10/20/20 09:39 PM
When you forget the meaning of soccer results
by Larry Miller - 10/20/20 07:40 PM
SUSA Smithtown To Be Futsal Specific Location
by Larry Miller - 10/20/20 07:02 PM
Rough Riders Named A Founding Member of New USL Academy
by Larry Miller - 10/20/20 06:56 PM
BOTN en Espaol
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 11 of 17 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 16 17
Re: The new MLS youth league
Anonymous #747580 09/19/20 05:14 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
This is a “poormans”, so to speak, pov. If you’re making a decision in a competitive sport for any of reason than to compete it hurts everyone involved. The business, the child less talented and the more talented child who was a victim and overlooked bc of this pov. Leave the politics out of children’s soccer! The better the teams, the more people are attracted to the club for the training that produced the team. The better the team the greater the hunger for b and c team players to get to their level!

It's like I said 'not ideal' from pure competitive point of view. I agree that the politics shouldn't be anywhere close to youth sport (not sure if it's possible). But then again, you can't expect non-mls clubs follow the same business model as MLS affiliated clubs. As non-mls club how do you sell that team should have 24-26 players on the team when parents pay what 3k-5k plus travel expenses and want their kids to play in the game. So clubs will have 18-20 players on the team and for sure some kids will be overlooked due the difference of opinion or due something else, which is unfortunate. And, as for "some sort of mechanism in place to ensure that only the most talented players get to participate" as long as people make decisions there will be always disagreements.

Like Reply Quote
Junior Soccer Advertisements

Anonymous #747582 09/19/20 06:10 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This is a “poormans”, so to speak, pov. If you’re making a decision in a competitive sport for any of reason than to compete it hurts everyone involved. The business, the child less talented and the more talented child who was a victim and overlooked bc of this pov. Leave the politics out of children’s soccer! The better the teams, the more people are attracted to the club for the training that produced the team. The better the team the greater the hunger for b and c team players to get to their level!

It's like I said 'not ideal' from pure competitive point of view. I agree that the politics shouldn't be anywhere close to youth sport (not sure if it's possible). But then again, you can't expect non-mls clubs follow the same business model as MLS affiliated clubs. As non-mls club how do you sell that team should have 24-26 players on the team when parents pay what 3k-5k plus travel expenses and want their kids to play in the game. So clubs will have 18-20 players on the team and for sure some kids will be overlooked due the difference of opinion or due something else, which is unfortunate. And, as for "some sort of mechanism in place to ensure that only the most talented players get to participate" as long as people make decisions there will be always disagreements.

Yes you are 100% correct, it’s just unfortunate all around that this is so accepted amongst clubs for all the reasons you stated. Have a good one

Like Reply Quote
Larry Miller #747587 09/19/20 09:16 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Results from today?

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #747592 09/20/20 06:11 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
In addition, just in my opinion there is an over emphasis on just being an athlete in American soccer. I have seen kids with more talent and tactics get overlooked in favor of kids with less talent, but they are faster or bigger. Just go watch some of the tournament that involve youth from other countries, and you can see this firsthand. I watched a u12 tournament that had 8 MLS teams and 8 international teams and for the most part the American teams where running around like chickens with their heads cut off while the international teams played calm tactical soccer. There is always going to be obstacles and I agree for American soccer to get better a lot must change bit that cannot happen if folks are just fighting rather than having an actual conversation.

This happens in a lot of European countries too especially as soccer is now in a counter-attacking, pressing, physical tactical stage in response to the tiki-take Barca/Spain style that dominated last decade. Look at most top national and domestic teams now and you do not see many small players, especially in midfield, as you did 10 years ago. I am sure the cycle will swing back but for now this is where we are.

Like Reply Quote
Larry Miller #747594 09/20/20 09:17 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Mls clubs have just as much political BS and non mls. Don’t be fooled. My son was at a mls from start to finish before he went to college and I saw firsthand questionable behavior between parents and coaches and directors. Is it normal for a parent to call a director on a regular basis ? Yet his kid gets called for everything while being a middle of the group type player. Sorry I don’t think so

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #747602 09/20/20 11:59 AM
F
Back of THE NET
Back of THE NET
F
In addition, just in my opinion there is an over emphasis on just being an athlete in American soccer. I have seen kids with more talent and tactics get overlooked in favor of kids with less talent, but they are faster or bigger. Just go watch some of the tournament that involve youth from other countries, and you can see this firsthand. I watched a u12 tournament that had 8 MLS teams and 8 international teams and for the most part the American teams where running around like chickens with their heads cut off while the international teams played calm tactical soccer. There is always going to be obstacles and I agree for American soccer to get better a lot must change bit that cannot happen if folks are just fighting rather than having an actual conversation.

This happens in a lot of European countries too especially as soccer is now in a counter-attacking, pressing, physical tactical stage in response to the tiki-take Barca/Spain style that dominated last decade. Look at most top national and domestic teams now and you do not see many small players, especially in midfield, as you did 10 years ago. I am sure the cycle will swing back but for now this is where we are.

Go back and look at the roster and the size of the players for Barca and the Spanish national team. The team was not as small as you think. I remember comparing it to the American team. It wasn’t a team full of Messi’s and Iniesta’s.

Like Reply Quote
Falcon #747606 09/20/20 03:59 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Falcon

Go back and look at the roster and the size of the players for Barca and the Spanish national team. The team was not as small as you think. I remember comparing it to the American team. It wasn’t a team full of Messi’s and Iniesta’s.

Really? Lets have a look at that 2010 World Cup Winning Spanish midfield roster:
Xavi
David Silva
Fabregas
Juan Mata
Cazorla
David Villa
Pedro
Navas
Iniesta
Busquets

I don't have to go lookup their heights to tell you apart from Busquets, they are all probably 5'8" or less.

And lets have a look at the midfield of the 2010/11 Champions League winners, Barcelona:
Messi
Xavi
Iniesta
Thiago
Mascherano
David Villa
Pedro
Busquets

So, apart from Busquets (who would be considered too slow for todays high press athletic style of soccer) all these maestros are small guys. And I'd argue apart from maybe Messi, none of these midfield maestros would make it through the academies in todays ultra athletic game. Too physically small. Too slow. Unable to run like a horse for 90+ mins. The game has changed. But this profile fits the typical American player so it may actually benefit US soccer.

Like Reply Quote
Larry Miller #747610 09/20/20 05:13 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Wait so are you saying the world is following US style of play ???

Like Reply Quote
Larry Miller #747611 09/20/20 07:12 PM
F
Back of THE NET
Back of THE NET
F
I will see if I still have the sizes. I found it interesting that it didn’t quite fit the narrative. I believe I was looking at the Spanish National Team vs The USMNT.

Like Reply Quote
Larry Miller #747612 09/20/20 08:22 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Trust me, nobody wants to play like the US. And if there is no politics then can you explain michael Bradley.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #747613 09/20/20 08:38 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
John wooden:lets have speed of thought and stop as you guys would say running like a chicken without a head. Knowledge is king. Arrogant ignorant. Read. Teach yourselves. size has no relationship with talent

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #747615 09/20/20 08:59 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Trust me, nobody wants to play like the US. And if there is no politics then can you explain michael Bradley.

OMG,,,,,, best post ever. Forgot all about the ageless wonder. LOL, what a joke !!!

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #747622 09/21/20 04:15 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

OMG,,,,,, best post ever. Forgot all about the ageless wonder. LOL, what a joke !!!

He was a pretty good player in his prime even did well in Italy for a while .

Like Reply Quote
Larry Miller #747628 09/21/20 09:23 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Looking for $ for a kid they did nothing for. If anything they held him back. Seems like they do that to a lot of kids. Heard stories about the way they hold certain players back. Funny they don’t seem to be after $ for Gio Reyna

Reyna is a fantastic player and clearly has the ability but it is 100% true that NYCFC bent over backwards to accommodate him and has screwed over a lot of potentially excellent players at the same time. Even at that level, connections do count for a lot more than people realize.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #747629 09/21/20 09:38 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

He was a pretty good player in his prime even did well in Italy for a while .

That was a long time ago. The politics of his continued USMNT play is obvious, IMO.

Like Reply Quote
Larry Miller #747645 09/21/20 03:21 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yes they screwed a lot of kids over for the bosses son but there’s no politics at mls clubs. Lol. He obviously is good but I wonder why they aren’t they going after the compensation.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #747646 09/21/20 03:57 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yes they screwed a lot of kids over for the bosses son but there’s no politics at mls clubs. Lol. He obviously is good but I wonder why they aren’t they going after the compensation.

You think CFG needs the cash?

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #747651 09/21/20 04:48 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You think CFG needs the cash?

YES, they obviously disregard fair play rules

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #747652 09/21/20 05:57 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

reyna never signed a contract with nycfc - he knew his future was abroad w the EU passport he could get and leave at 16 - so it was in effect a "free transfer". at best right now they might have gotten some training compensation money, but that's like maybe $40k for each year he was in the system (so maybe $160-200k?). but i think the USSF signed onto the FIFA global player xfer agreement after he went to BVB so maybe they got nothing? when/if BVB sells reyna onto another club NYCFC should get about 1% of the xfer price as solidarity payment (5% of total xfer price is set aside, then split between age 12-23 training clubs with youngest 4 AG getting 5% p.a. of that 5% then stepping up to 10% p.a.) so if he goes for pulisic $$, NYCFC would get around $750k.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #747653 09/22/20 01:39 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Given that Reyna is now starting and scoring goals for a top 20 team in the world at 17 years-old I guess NYCFC was smart to "accommodate" him. Very, very few players in the World are able to start for a club like Dortmund at 17. Further, since he arrived the entire Dortmund staff have raved about him - from their head coach to their sporting director (Michael Zorc) to their youth director (Lars Ricken). I'm not sure what "potentially excellent" players you are talking about, but Reyna is levels above "potentially excellent." Further, other NYCFC players have been promoted to first team and Scally is following in Reyna's path to the Bundesliga once he turns 18. So, it seems like NYCFC has no problem recognizing and promoting the very top talent it has.
Looking for $ for a kid they did nothing for. If anything they held him back. Seems like they do that to a lot of kids. Heard stories about the way they hold certain players back. Funny they don’t seem to be after $ for Gio Reyna

Reyna is a fantastic player and clearly has the ability but it is 100% true that NYCFC bent over backwards to accommodate him and has screwed over a lot of potentially excellent players at the same time. Even at that level, connections do count for a lot more than people realize.

Like Reply Quote
Larry Miller #747654 09/22/20 06:39 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Conveniently he left right before they asked players to sign the compensation papers. I must say for a talented player a lot of thing conveniently fell into place for him. Where do you think he would be right now if not for his last name ?

Like Reply Quote
Larry Miller #747655 09/22/20 07:43 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
“Gio Reyna started and scored for 2020 Bundesliga runner-up Borussia Dortmund to earn kicker’s Bundesliga team of the week honors”

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #747656 09/22/20 08:06 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Conveniently he left right before they asked players to sign the compensation papers. I must say for a talented player a lot of thing conveniently fell into place for him. Where do you think he would be right now if not for his last name ?

You sound very bitter. Stop complaining and lets enjoy watching him progress. He's going to be some player!

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #747657 09/22/20 08:35 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Regardless of his last name, he still had to prove he is worthy-(personally I do not like his game, but that's just my opinion) Any dad or mom would put there kid at an advantage and do everything they can

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #747658 09/22/20 08:39 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Modric, Coutinho, Veratti, that is just to name a few at 5'8'' or less

Like Reply Quote
Page 11 of 17 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 16 17
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click Here!