Fall '20 Scores & Standings:| G-ECNL | G-ECRL | B-ECNL | B-ECRL | EDP | GA | LIJSL | MLS NXT | NCSANJ | WYSL |

Forum Search
Fall 2020
Scores & Standings
Girls Academy League
GA Schedule & Standings
MLS Next Scores & Standings
Scores & Standings
National League Playoffs
2020-21 National Playoffs
EDP 2020/2021
Scores & Standings
WYSL Scores & Standings
Fall '20 Scores & Standings
LIJSL Scores & Standings
Scores & Standings
ENY State Cups 2020-2021
Challenge Cup
NY State Cup
Latest Posts
G2008:U13 Fall 2020/Spring 2021
by Anonymous - 09/28/20 10:31 PM
The new MLS youth league
by Anonymous - 09/28/20 10:18 PM
G2007:U14 Fall 2020/Spring 2021
by Anonymous - 09/28/20 08:48 PM
G2006:U15 Fall 2020/Spring 2021
by Anonymous - 09/28/20 05:40 PM
BOTN en Espańol
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Eastern New York Youth teams can start training now, playing games Aug. 17
Anonymous #744921 08/07/20 08:17 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
I agree with this. So how does it make any sense to not start games ASAP? The situation is only going to get worse so if you want kids to compete at all the time to do it is now.

Most clubs have no access to their fields right now.

Like Reply Quote
Junior Soccer Advertisements

Anonymous #744929 08/07/20 09:14 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This could be it! Is this that moment when the US discovers how the rest of the world plays soccer...? In the street, with anyone who wants to play, for no cost, with NO coaching.... Who knows, we may have a whole generation of kids who can control a ball, dribble, understand and love the game and more importantly THINK FOR THEMSELVES. Now that really would be something.

Who are some of the players we would have heard of that didn't start playing in professional academies before they were 10?

What you describe is not how players have developed in at least 20 years and pushing this myth ignores the many realy problems with how the US develops players. It's structural, not cultural.

It’s both structural and cultural. Kids in Latin America, South America get new soccer balls and cleats for Christmas here in the states it’s electronics. This country does not live and breathe soccer like other countries. There it’s a way of live, here it’s an activity.

It's structural but for different reasons.

You say kids in the states get electronics for Christmas but US is home to 4 richest professional sports leagues - probably only EPL generates as much revenue and pays as much to its players on average.
US is mecca for sports. Sports is religion in US. No other country comes close in term sports involvement at high school, college, professional, Olympic (unless sponsored by state) level.

The main reason for insufficient player development is a lack of competent coaching.
You can create 10 high level academies and fill them with kids in NYC area alone and have youth teams as good as in Europe.

In Europe (and I lived there and my son attended an academy there) even small local clubs have coaches that played pro for a number of years and now have been coaching for a number of years - you don't have some guy who played some college in charge of A premier team which is the commonplace in US. We just don't have enough coaches - the demand is there but supply is very limited at the moment.
The difference in quality and organization of instruction is just monumental - it's amateur level at most clubs (including "premier") here..

And supply is limited because professional soccer in US is still not that developed.
But it grows every year. It's a slow process but you can't compare current state with even 10 years back.
MLS grows, USL grows, a lot of cities competing for MLS teams...TV contracts grow (last one was x4 the repvious)...Player salaries grow (still comparatively low)
It will continues to grow, doesn't hurt that US will host 2026 World cup.

I predict withing 10 years, MLS will break into top 5 soccer leagues in the world in terms of revenues and player salaries.
Once MLS get close to other big leagues - we'll see more coaching talent (both foreign imports and homegrown talent) and improvement in player development at youth level - it's a matter of time.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #744954 08/08/20 10:35 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This could be it! Is this that moment when the US discovers how the rest of the world plays soccer...? In the street, with anyone who wants to play, for no cost, with NO coaching.... Who knows, we may have a whole generation of kids who can control a ball, dribble, understand and love the game and more importantly THINK FOR THEMSELVES. Now that really would be something.

Who are some of the players we would have heard of that didn't start playing in professional academies before they were 10?

What you describe is not how players have developed in at least 20 years and pushing this myth ignores the many realy problems with how the US develops players. It's structural, not cultural.

It’s both structural and cultural. Kids in Latin America, South America get new soccer balls and cleats for Christmas here in the states it’s electronics. This country does not live and breathe soccer like other countries. There it’s a way of live, here it’s an activity.

You say kids in the states get electronics for Christmas but US is home to 4 richest professional sports leagues - probably only EPL generates as much revenue and pays as much to its players on average.
US is mecca for sports. Sports is religion in US. No other country comes close in term sports involvement at high school, college, professional, Olympic (unless sponsored by state) level.

The main reason for insufficient player development is a lack of competent coaching.
You can create 10 high level academies and fill them with kids in NYC area alone and have youth teams as good as in Europe.

In Europe (and I lived there and my son attended an academy there) even small local clubs have coaches that played pro for a number of years and now have been coaching for a number of years - you don't have some guy who played some college in charge of A premier team which is the commonplace in US. We just don't have enough coaches - the demand is there but supply is very limited at the moment.
The difference in quality and organization of instruction is just monumental - it's amateur level at most clubs (including "premier") here..

And supply is limited because professional soccer in US is still not that developed.
But it grows every year. It's a slow process but you can't compare current state with even 10 years back.
MLS grows, USL grows, a lot of cities competing for MLS teams...TV contracts grow (last one was x4 the repvious)...Player salaries grow (still comparatively low)

I predict withing 10 years, MLS will break into top 5 soccer leagues in the world in terms of revenues and player salaries.
Once MLS get close to other big leagues - we'll see more coaching talent (both foreign imports and homegrown talent) and improvement in player development at youth level - it's a matter of time.

Lots of good points here, especially the level of coaching. One of the biggest hurdles ignorant parents face is the classic US coach. You know the one - he boasts of winning a U9 girls conference title in 2004, or a u11 winter showcase in 2006... - Where I come from no respectable coach would put that on a resume. Its all about player development: Who have they helped develop? Who did they push up to the next level? Thats what good coaches do, they develop kids and then hand them over to coaches at the next level. Can you imagine a US coach doing that? No chance.

But I'd argue one of the biggest cultural problems is the sports industrial complex here. As long as clueless parents approach soccer the same way as football, baseball, basketball then you're screwed: Soccer isn't a coach dominated sport - kids need to think for themselves. Soccer isn't a strength, height, speed dominated sport - those things help but it's technique first and foremost. Soccer isn't something you can just throw money at with extra 1on1 training - kids need to play and improvise to develop. Finally soccer isn't a path to getting an education - In the rest of the world you either play soccer at the highest level, or you go to college.

Yes MLS is slowly improving, but these are all big reasons why until the mindset of parents changes I think MLS, USL and college teams will be dominated by South Americans, Europeans and Africans for the next generation.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #744963 08/08/20 01:24 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Lots of good points here, especially the level of coaching. One of the biggest hurdles ignorant parents face is the classic US coach. You know the one - he boasts of winning a U9 girls conference title in 2004, or a u11 winter showcase in 2006... - Where I come from no respectable coach would put that on a resume. Its all about player development: Who have they helped develop? Who did they push up to the next level? Thats what good coaches do, they develop kids and then hand them over to coaches at the next level. Can you imagine a US coach doing that? No chance.

But I'd argue one of the biggest cultural problems is the sports industrial complex here. As long as clueless parents approach soccer the same way as football, baseball, basketball then you're screwed: Soccer isn't a coach dominated sport - kids need to think for themselves. Soccer isn't a strength, height, speed dominated sport - those things help but it's technique first and foremost. Soccer isn't something you can just throw money at with extra 1on1 training - kids need to play and improvise to develop. Finally soccer isn't a path to getting an education - In the rest of the world you either play soccer at the highest level, or you go to college.

Yes MLS is slowly improving, but these are all big reasons why until the mindset of parents changes I think MLS, USL and college teams will be dominated by South Americans, Europeans and Africans for the next generation.

This post is 100% “Spot on”. Having lived in Europe and then coming to the States where my kids went from playing football to soccer. There is a big difference culturally that you cannot explain. In Europe and Latin/South America it’s a way of life as is basketball here in the States. Training with a club 3 times a week for 1.5 hour sessions just does not work if you want to get better and compete. In the olde days the USA always relied on strength and athleticism when playing internationally. They could never match the skill and technical abilities of their opponents but worked hard on the pitch. The world is now there with their strength and athleticism while the USA has never caught up with skills and technical abilities. The strategy to beat the USA is easy with a high press because there are no forwards (Other than Pulisic) that worry defenses and they know they can take the ball away from USA midfielders/defenders.That is why the most talented USA players must train in Europe/Latin/South America/Germany. Anywhere but the MLS. For the small most gifted players you must go elsewhere like Pulisic, McKennie, etc. The others use soccer to get into college and then work towards MLS.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #744967 08/08/20 02:44 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
"I trained 3-4 hours a week at Ajax when I was little but played 3-4 hours everyday on the street. So where do you think I learnt football?" - John Cruyff

I'll tell you where he learned football -- in the 1950s, which is not so relevant for today.

Dude, you are ignorant. Everything you see about the modern game and player development comes from Cruyff. Go learn some history.

Of course, Cruyff was a giant. Of course, he is a father of the modern game.

But do you think players are developed the same way now that they were 60-70 years ago? Do you think nothing has changed?

Cruyff transported to today, like all of his elite athlete peers from the 60s and 70s (and maybe even 80s and 90s), wouldn't get anywhere near a first team for a top global club. He would get physically run off the field. Because development and training is completely different. His skills in a modern athlete might still be world-class, but he was far from a modern athlete. Watch highlights from a World Cup in the 60s or 70s and look at the CBs. Then imagine Van Dijk or Ramos on that pitch. Look at the full-backs, then imagine the guys from today who have 100m sprint times that would have been world-class back then. Drop Adama Traore into the 60s or 70s and he'd be one of the greatest players of all time.

Same goes for the all-time greats of any sport from anything but the modern era.

You can tell me that the game sucks now and was more skillful and elegant then. I disagree, but that's a reasonable opinion.

But holding up Cruyff as an example of how to best develop youth athletes 63 years after he joined the Ajax academy is just silly.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #744995 08/09/20 09:13 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
"I trained 3-4 hours a week at Ajax when I was little but played 3-4 hours everyday on the street. So where do you think I learnt football?" - John Cruyff

I'll tell you where he learned football -- in the 1950s, which is not so relevant for today.

Dude, you are ignorant. Everything you see about the modern game and player development comes from Cruyff. Go learn some history.

But do you think players are developed the same way now that they were 60-70 years ago? Do you think nothing has changed?

Cruyff transported to today, like all of his elite athlete peers from the 60s and 70s (and maybe even 80s and 90s), wouldn't get anywhere near a first team for a top global club. He would get physically run off the field. Because development and training is completely different. His skills in a modern athlete might still be world-class, but he was far from a modern athlete. Watch highlights from a World Cup in the 60s or 70s and look at the CBs. Then imagine Van Dijk or Ramos on that pitch. Look at the full-backs, then imagine the guys from today who have 100m sprint times that would have been world-class back then. Drop Adama Traore into the 60s or 70s and he'd be one of the greatest players of all time.

Same goes for the all-time greats of any sport from anything but the modern era.

You can tell me that the game sucks now and was more skillful and elegant then. I disagree, but that's a reasonable opinion.

But holding up Cruyff as an example of how to best develop youth athletes 63 years after he joined the Ajax academy is just silly.

Dude you are so ignorant. No one is arguing players are fitter, stronger and faster than before. Sports science has improved 10x since the 1960's. But the principles of the game Cruyff laid out are still the same for youth soccer development. Doesn't matter what your sprint time is, if you can't pass a ball you aint gonna play. All the players you mentioned have technical skills that can be traced back to Cruyff. Van Dijk is Dutch, Ramos has classic Spanish technical skills and Traore was at Barca for 11 years. None of these guys would have made it without the technical ability and game understanding that has been passed down from Cruyff to modern coaches in the Netherlands and Spain. It's dumb parents like you that hold back the game here in the States. As long as kids are spending more time in the gym than out there playing soccer, this country will never progress.

Like Reply Quote
Larry Miller #745001 08/09/20 11:12 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It's not about parents - parents are not a factor - they go with the flow.

Game changed. Soccer players need to be athletically gifted and developed. Many of past stars would not make the first teams today due not being athletic enough.
All that about kids playing pickup all day long and learning soccer on the streets is rubbish - could be a factor 20-50 years ago.
Now the game is fast, tactically tight, disciplined - can't learn it on the streets.

4-5 intense 1.5-hr long structured practices + game / week is sufficient.
+Supplemental fitness, individual technical training depending on individual/positional needs.
Extra pick-up doesn't hurt but not really a factor - maybe beneficial at very young ages or if ones doesn't get enough playtime.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #745011 08/09/20 02:02 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Game changed. Soccer players need to be athletically gifted and developed. Many of past stars would not make the first teams today due not being athletic enough.
All that about kids playing pickup all day long and learning soccer on the streets is rubbish - could be a factor 20-50 years ago.
Now the game is fast, tactically tight, disciplined - can't learn it on the streets.

+Supplemental fitness, individual technical training depending on individual/positional needs.
Extra pick-up doesn't hurt but not really a factor - maybe beneficial at very young ages or if ones doesn't get enough playtime.

Thank you coach. What crappy D3 college did you play for?

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #745012 08/09/20 02:18 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

calling a D3 college crappy. So many idiots around. The person that made that statement certainly did not coach or play in D1 college as those people have respect. Just another kool aid soccer nut.
Would you be impressed by Pele? he could not coach to save his life.

Like Reply Quote
Larry Miller #745014 08/09/20 03:15 PM
Chief Rocker
Back of THE NET
OP Offline
Chief Rocker
Back of THE NET
Call a D3 school crappy? Johns Hopkins as an example is a D3 school. Crappy? On your best day your kid doesn’t have the grades to get that school and so many others. The poster above is correct about the soccer parent idiots around here.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #745016 08/09/20 03:44 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Who knows? Maybe it was Amherst, Williams, Middlebury, Carnegie Mellon, Univ of Chicago, MIT, John Hopkins, Emory. Just an example of D3 Schools that have very competitive soccer programs. Are these the “crappy D3 programs” your referring to? On the contrary your just another mindless parent who thinks they are smarter than everyone.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #745018 08/09/20 06:32 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

calling a D3 college crappy. So many idiots around. The person that made that statement certainly did not coach or play in D1 college as those people have respect. Just another kool aid soccer nut.
Would you be impressed by Pele? he could not coach to save his life.

Sure, many top players would not make good coaches.
But people who did not play pro would not either, not at the level to develop pro-ready players.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #745021 08/09/20 08:20 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Dude you are so ignorant. No one is arguing players are fitter, stronger and faster than before. Sports science has improved 10x since the 1960's. But the principles of the game Cruyff laid out are still the same for youth soccer development. Doesn't matter what your sprint time is, if you can't pass a ball you aint gonna play. All the players you mentioned have technical skills that can be traced back to Cruyff. Van Dijk is Dutch, Ramos has classic Spanish technical skills and Traore was at Barca for 11 years. None of these guys would have made it without the technical ability and game understanding that has been passed down from Cruyff to modern coaches in the Netherlands and Spain. It's dumb parents like you that hold back the game here in the States. As long as kids are spending more time in the gym than out there playing soccer, this country will never progress.

Pick an argument and stick with it. You started out arguing that if Cruyff learned most of his skills on the street then that’s the best way to learn how to play soccer. I pointed out that essentially zero modern professionals learned that way so now you’re saying something about field time vs gym time. Who the hell said anything about gym time? And you’re pointing out Traore’s 10 years at La Masia, where boys as young as 7 practice 2+ hours every single day, as something that supports your argument, when it’s the exact opposite of what you originally said was the best way to learn.

I guess if at some point you argue every side of the debate it becomes easier for you to look back and say you were right.

Like Reply Quote
Larry Miller #745023 08/09/20 08:54 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
College is not rated as youth soccer is. D1,2,3 does not make a team better. There are certain criteria to be in each division. A D3 team like Tufts can beat and definitely play with many D1 teams. They do not have the number of students and number of athletic teams to be in D1. D1 gets the most sports scholarships, D2 gets some and D3 none, but academic scholarships are unlimited and they are based on more than strictly GPA and SAT/ACT. Dont be ignorant an think calling someone a D3 player is a negative thing.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #745024 08/09/20 09:02 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

This is the dumbest statement I have ever seen. Just another trainer trying to get parents to pay. Playing in the streets is about the love of the game, They need that love to continue the process and always play and train hard. I cant even explain all of the ways you are wrong. You definitely didnt play because what is learned in the street, instincts, comfort on the ball and vision of the game is very hard to teach by the time you are the age to train 1,5 hours 4-5 days a week. Obviously not a baller.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #745025 08/09/20 09:04 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I agree with this. So how does it make any sense to not start games ASAP? The situation is only going to get worse so if you want kids to compete at all the time to do it is now.

Most clubs have no access to their fields right now.

Parks are open. Fields already issued permits for the fall season. Everyone had the chance to get permits and fields for summer. Fields are booked and teams are training. Most clubs have fields now.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #745027 08/09/20 10:08 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

This is the dumbest statement I have ever seen. Just another trainer trying to get parents to pay. Playing in the streets is about the love of the game, They need that love to continue the process and always play and train hard. I cant even explain all of the ways you are wrong. You definitely didnt play because what is learned in the street, instincts, comfort on the ball and vision of the game is very hard to teach by the time you are the age to train 1,5 hours 4-5 days a week. Obviously not a baller.

Ah, you making this conclusion by seeing local practice sessions - may be you haven't seen how well organized sessions are run....multiple coaches...multiple stations...quick transitions to guarantee maximum touches per session...never standing in line..

Just saying - this is how most real academies in Europe are organized.
Most of the high level academies run by pro teams are free or require token registration fee by the way, so not really big fan for pay-top-play model.

7-8 year olds may learn a few things by playing on streets - you won't find best 13-14 year-olds playing pick up on the street in Europe.

Same way you don't see top Amercan Football, Baseball, or Hockey prospects learning game in the streets.
Basketball - sure - but again once they become real prospects - they no longer learn on the streets.

This is biggest misconception being repeated again and again.
Sometime kids who are just talented are scouted on streets and invited to clubs and academies at young age but that's not where they learn real soccer.

I played soccer on streets and played picked up all my youth - that's #1 sport from where I am from - and we play for the love of the game....
But the kids who got serious they all left for clubs / academies when they were 10-11 and stopped playing with us...

Like Reply Quote
Larry Miller #745085 08/11/20 09:40 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Does anyone have insight into the new LIJSL Academy program? This will replace PDP after the tournament in two weeks. I think PDP replaced Long Island Select, and this new Academy is supposedly for the most “Elite” long Island players, more “select” than PDP. How can we know what program is best to supplement development at the same time as club/rec/town teams?

Like Reply Quote
Larry Miller #745142 08/11/20 05:04 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
With the Pac-12 and Big 10 postponing sports in the fall, how much longer will we keep the idea alive that there will be HS sports in the fall?

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #745149 08/11/20 05:53 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
With the Pac-12 and Big 10 postponing sports in the fall, how much longer will we keep the idea alive that there will be HS sports in the fall?

It’s been my firm belief for months that there will not be a HS sports fall season. At all. Fingers crossed for winter but more likely Spring 2021. Some club sports can continue on some level but none of them will be sanctioning (or be allowed to) a “normal” format or season in any foreseeable future. Hope for a scrimmage or two, maybe a tournament here and there (where a club has their own field) into early fall........but that’s it until April unfortunately

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #745154 08/11/20 07:14 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

There was no chance at all. Educators have spoken with the medical community about how to move forward this fall in trying to slow down the "spike" expected this fall/winter. There was no chance once the quarantine was lifted after 10 weeks and people refused to adhere to the advice of the medical community. High school/club sports was a "pipe dream" of those who thought differently. I hope for the Spring of 2021. If sports was cancelled in colleges there was no doubt schools would also follow with cancelling as well.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #745167 08/11/20 11:12 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

It’s been my firm belief for months that there will not be a HS sports fall season. At all. Fingers crossed for winter but more likely Spring 2021. Some club sports can continue on some level but none of them will be sanctioning (or be allowed to) a “normal” format or season in any foreseeable future. Hope for a scrimmage or two, maybe a tournament here and there (where a club has their own field) into early fall........but that’s it until April unfortunately

Agree regarding high school. The Fall club season is going forward. Tournaments are happening in the North east, We are scrimmaging and training on a regular basis. The leagues have posted alignments and they will go forward with a season.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #745187 08/12/20 09:52 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Agree regarding high school. The Fall club season is going forward. Tournaments are happening in the North east, We are scrimmaging and training on a regular basis. The leagues have posted alignments and they will go forward with a season.
What about at the high school ages? If there is no high school season in the fall, will there be an abbreviated club season? In the spring, will players have to choose between high school and club ball with conflicts

Like Reply Quote
Larry Miller #745193 08/12/20 11:20 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Arguing whether the stars of the past were better than today's athletes or could or could not compete is nonsensical. Let's stick with Cruyff, the father of Barca's world famous style of play. If Johann were playing today he would receive the same benefit of training, methods, technology etc as today's athletes. It makes perfect sense IMO that he would be every bit as good as any player today. He made his bones on being one of the most cerebral players ever not the most physical. Don't get me wrong. For us older guys we love to argue with the young kids on yesteryear stars vs current stars but in reality it'll never be an argument to be won but something to have fun with.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #745197 08/12/20 12:35 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Arguing whether the stars of the past were better than today's athletes or could or could not compete is nonsensical. Let's stick with Cruyff, the father of Barca's world famous style of play. If Johann were playing today he would receive the same benefit of training, methods, technology etc as today's athletes. It makes perfect sense IMO that he would be every bit as good as any player today. He made his bones on being one of the most cerebral players ever not the most physical. Don't get me wrong. For us older guys we love to argue with the young kids on yesteryear stars vs current stars but in reality it'll never be an argument to be won but something to have fun with.

Yes, of course. You made my point more effectively than I did. That was the point all along -- the approach to training and physical development has evolved beyond recognition over the past 60 years and especially over the last 10, which is why the OP point of, "this is how Cruyff did it in the 50s so this is how it should be done now," was ridiculous.

Like Reply Quote
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click Here!