Forum Search
Latest Posts
So, When Do You Think the Games Will Start Up Again?
by Anonymous - 07/06/20 11:18 PM
G2008:U12 Fall 2019/Spring 2020
by Anonymous - 07/06/20 11:00 PM
SUSA Acquires FC Fury & PRSS
by Anonymous - 07/06/20 10:57 PM
Sponsors

Girls Academy League
Girls Academy League
Development Player League
DPL Scores & Standings
WYSL Scores & Standings
Spring '20 Scores & Standings
ENY State Cups 2019-2020
Challenge Cup
NY State Cup
Random Photos
Ben E. King - Don't Play That Song
BOTN en Espańol
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
U.S. Soccer board: 'We apologize to our players -- especially our black players -- staff, fans
#740735 06/11/20 12:27 PM
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 18,687
Likes: 14
Chief Rocker
Back of THE NET
OP Online
Chief Rocker
Back of THE NET
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 18,687
Likes: 14
by Paul Kennedy @pkedit,

U.S. Soccer's board of directors voted on Tuesday afternoon to repeal Policy 604-1, which required national team players to stand respectfully during the national anthem.

The rescission takes effect immediately but is provisional, pending approval of the National Council at the 2021 AGM in Atlanta.

The New York Time reported that the vote was unanimous and came after discussion that included views from one representative each from the men's, women's and Paralympic teams and that those views on the ban and kneeling did not align.

In a February 2017 teleconference meeting, the federation board passed Policy 604-1 that requires players and team personnel to “stand respectfully during the playing of national anthems at any event in which the Federation is represented."

It came after U.S. women’s national team star Megan Rapinoe took a knee during the playing of the anthem prior to a match against Thailand in Columbus, Ohio, in 2016. She took a knee in support of former San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick, who took a knee during pregame renditions of “The Star-Spangled Banner” in 2016.

U.S. Soccer's statement:

The U.S. Soccer Board of Directors voted yesterday afternoon to repeal Policy 604-1, which required our players to stand during the national anthem. The policy was put in place after Megan Rapinoe kneeled in solidarity with the peaceful protest inspired by Colin Kaepernick, who was protesting police brutality, and the systematic oppression of Black people and people of color in America. It has become clear that this policy was wrong and detracted from the important message of Black Lives Matter.

We have not done enough to listen - especially to our players - to understand and acknowledge the very real and meaningful experiences of Black and other minority communities in our country. We apologize to our players - especially our Black players - staff, fans, and all who support eradicating racism. Sports are a powerful platform for good, and we have not used our platform as effectively as we should have. We can do more on these specific issues and we will.

It should be, and will be going forward, up to our players to determine how they can best use their platforms to fight all forms of racism, discrimination, and inequality. We are here for our players and are ready to support them in elevating their efforts to achieve social justice. We cannot change the past, but we can make a difference in the future. We are committed to this change effort, and we will be implementing supporting actions in the near future

Like Reply Quote
Junior Soccer Advertisements

Re: U.S. Soccer board: 'We apologize to our players -- especially our black players -- staff, fans
Larry Miller #740742 06/11/20 01:16 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It is great to see all of the organizations allowing people to demonstrate their beliefs and bring attention to racism. I hope it allows for meaningful dialogue between both sides to take place so everyone can have an open and honest discussion so they can understand the other and allow for needed changes on both sides.

Like Reply Quote
Re: U.S. Soccer board: 'We apologize to our players -- especially our black players -- staff, fans
Anonymous #740780 06/11/20 06:35 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It’s a shame that people who take a knee during the National Anthem show nothing but 100% disrespect for all the men and women who have fought and died for this country. These soldiers have fought for this country and flag that gives every American the right to protest but to take a knee is nothing but disrespect for our soldiers

Like Reply Quote
Re: U.S. Soccer board: 'We apologize to our players -- especially our black players -- staff, fans
Larry Miller #740785 06/11/20 06:58 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It has nothing to do with the soldiers so get past that. It is meant to raise awareness of racial issues that need to be discussed to improve the lives of the black community.

Like Reply Quote
Re: U.S. Soccer board: 'We apologize to our players -- especially our black players -- staff, fans
Larry Miller #740786 06/11/20 07:00 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I hope the black community is willing to understand that they are a part of this too and it is not just everyone else's fault

Like Reply Quote
Re: U.S. Soccer board: 'We apologize to our players -- especially our black players -- staff, fans
Anonymous #740787 06/11/20 07:06 PM
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 18,687
Likes: 14
Chief Rocker
Back of THE NET
OP Online
Chief Rocker
Back of THE NET
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 18,687
Likes: 14
Originally Posted by Anonymous
I hope the black community is willing to understand that they are a part of this too and it is not just everyone else's fault


Oh, pray tell what part of this is the fault of the African American & Latino community?

Like Reply Quote
Re: U.S. Soccer board: 'We apologize to our players -- especially our black players -- staff, fans
Larry Miller #740796 06/11/20 08:03 PM
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 961
Likes: 2
L
Back of THE NET
Offline
Back of THE NET
L
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 961
Likes: 2
Originally Posted by Larry Miller
Originally Posted by Anonymous
I hope the black community is willing to understand that they are a part of this too and it is not just everyone else's fault


Oh, pray tell what part of this is the fault of the African American & Latino community?

Maybe the part that US Soccer miserably failed on a National Level to recruit and involve with the participation of all utmost in their mission? Oh wait maybe not. I find this so ironic based on the pay to play model that continues to permeate the youth soccer industrial complex in the US, while it shuts out a huge swath of the population mostly from the inner cities where the talent pool is huge.

My second thought on this forum regarding our flag or our anthem-Whether I stand or kneel or do whatever during the national anthem would be defended by the very men and women who died defending this country. Our freedom of speech allows us the right to burn the flag in a demonstration and whether I agree with that or not is not the point. The point is that Americans have the right to peacefully express their feelings as they see fit. For leagues, schools or teams to prohibit any player from peacefully demonstrating is truly a violation of free speech.

Like Reply Quote
Re: U.S. Soccer board: 'We apologize to our players -- especially our black players -- staff, fans
Larry Miller #740803 06/11/20 09:09 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Larry Miller
Originally Posted by Anonymous
I hope the black community is willing to understand that they are a part of this too and it is not just everyone else's fault


Oh, pray tell what part of this is the fault of the African American & Latino community?

WHen a black person stands up and says that ALL whites are racists and have hate in their hearts towards blacks, I take offense to that because it is simply not true and paints all whites as evil and my being white take offense. Just as if I said all blacks are evil because I had an encounter with one that was bad that is not the blacks fault but my attitude that needs to change.

Like Reply Quote
Re: U.S. Soccer board: 'We apologize to our players -- especially our black players -- staff, fans
Larry Miller #740804 06/11/20 09:11 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Larry Miller
Originally Posted by Anonymous
I hope the black community is willing to understand that they are a part of this too and it is not just everyone else's fault


Oh, pray tell what part of this is the fault of the African American & Latino community?

This is actually why we cannot have an honest conversation. It is not whites are 100% wrong and blacks are 100% right. Both sides have good and bad people and everyone needs to be able to admit that and discuss it and figure out how to get past it.

Like Reply Quote
Re: U.S. Soccer board: 'We apologize to our players -- especially our black players -- staff, fans
LIRef77 #740805 06/11/20 10:15 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Our freedom of speech also allows us to support our cops around the country and to speak out against the protesters who riot and loot and speak of doing harm to our police

Like Reply Quote
Re: U.S. Soccer board: 'We apologize to our players -- especially our black players -- staff, fans
Anonymous #740806 06/11/20 10:18 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Who do you think told Kap to take the knee.

Like Reply Quote
Re: U.S. Soccer board: 'We apologize to our players -- especially our black players -- staff, fans
LIRef77 #740809 06/11/20 10:40 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Did you learn Con Law at a Motel 8. You have free speech but if you are at work it can be regulated.

Like Reply Quote
Re: U.S. Soccer board: 'We apologize to our players -- especially our black players -- staff, fans
Anonymous #740810 06/11/20 10:48 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
It’s a shame that people who take a knee during the National Anthem show nothing but 100% disrespect for all the men and women who have fought and died for this country. These soldiers have fought for this country and flag that gives every American the right to protest but to take a knee is nothing but disrespect for our soldiers


In saying that you assume those demonstrating don't have loved ones who also fought for their right to protest. It is a very narrow and selfish way of thinking and deflects from what it is they are trying to get you to pay attention to. You should do some research and see from another perspective; the plight and chronological history of African Americans in the military. Then tell me who fought and sacrificed for what. Be impassioned about your beliefs, but be educated and empathic to historical choices, and lack thereof, that shape who we are today.

Like Reply Quote
Re: U.S. Soccer board: 'We apologize to our players -- especially our black players -- staff, fans
Larry Miller #740817 06/12/20 06:41 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So i guess erasing history, all problems will go away. so let's erase what happened a few weeks ago. Please.... Holy Crap- what a joke what this great nation has become. Now cancelling cartoons, really,because people are offended. I will like to thank all POLICE OFFICERS for the courageous job you all are doing. 1 or 2 bad apples does not depict on who you are.Thank You, Thank You, keep protecting( stick it to your mayor, governor, etc., do not write tickets anymore, and when they come down and ask why numbers are down, tell them you do not want to offend anyone) as you guys were told stand your ground.

Like Reply Quote
Re: U.S. Soccer board: 'We apologize to our players -- especially our black players -- staff, fans
Larry Miller #740820 06/12/20 07:05 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I would like to apologize to the rest of the world, how dumb the USA looks like right now. Sorry for all the snowflakes and weak entitled generation we have created. I blame the parents for not being there to raise your kids, letting day care and schools raise them for chasing the almighty dollar. Family Values, where has it gone. SMH

Like Reply Quote
Re: U.S. Soccer board: 'We apologize to our players -- especially our black players -- staff, fans
Larry Miller #740823 06/12/20 07:49 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
How many white people are killed by cops in comparison to black people? Where are the facts to this question? I believe many if not all in this country believe the cop should be prosecuted to the fullest however many agree that a career criminal is being memorialized as a martyr is wrong. Peaceful protest of this horrible incident 100% but if we are discussing the flag then I believe we respect it enough to stand for since it allows you to even have a protest.
NHL coach John Tortorella suggested moving forward all sporting events have a moment of silence (kneeling if you choose) for all racial injustices before the national anthem, where everyone stands. I could be wrong but I believe that is a good start to unifying the country and respecting both sides.

Like Reply Quote
Re: U.S. Soccer board: 'We apologize to our players -- especially our black players -- staff, fans
Larry Miller #740832 06/12/20 08:27 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The world has been turned upside down. I am all for true reform, no chokeholds, no no knock warrents, database where bad police cant get a law enforcement job a 2nd time, but then again no cash bail for all is LUNACY! Looters should go to jail! Disneyworld should not have to close or change splash mountain and every statue of an American leader who did something wrong or was part of something that is now not politically correct can't be whitewashed. It does not have to be all or nothing

Like Reply Quote
Re: U.S. Soccer board: 'We apologize to our players -- especially our black players -- staff, fans
Anonymous #740851 06/12/20 10:06 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
How many white people are killed by cops in comparison to black people? Where are the facts to this question? I believe many if not all in this country believe the cop should be prosecuted to the fullest however many agree that a career criminal is being memorialized as a martyr is wrong. Peaceful protest of this horrible incident 100% but if we are discussing the flag then I believe we respect it enough to stand for since it allows you to even have a protest.
NHL coach John Tortorella suggested moving forward all sporting events have a moment of silence (kneeling if you choose) for all racial injustices before the national anthem, where everyone stands. I could be wrong but I believe that is a good start to unifying the country and respecting both sides.

If you look at the stats- 55% of all people killed by Police officers last year were white- That is a fact. Everyone needs to take back their damn communities.

Like Reply Quote
Re: U.S. Soccer board: 'We apologize to our players -- especially our black players -- staff, fans
Anonymous #740853 06/12/20 10:22 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Who do you think told Kap to take the knee.


Mayor DeBlowhards Wife

Like Reply Quote
Re: U.S. Soccer board: 'We apologize to our players -- especially our black players -- staff, fans
Anonymous #740858 06/12/20 10:34 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Who do you think told Kap to take the knee.


Mayor DeBlowhards Wife

That's a stupid response. A Veteran told him to do it instead of sitting. I'm no fan of Kaep, not because he kneeled, but because of the police portrayed as pigs on his socks and the wearing of the Castro shirt. Had he done it right he might have had better results. There are far better black leaders in American than Kaep. Megan Rapino is a far better leader as well. I support her and all the players being able to use their platform to fight for justice for all.

Like Reply Quote
Re: U.S. Soccer board: 'We apologize to our players -- especially our black players -- staff, fans
Anonymous #740868 06/12/20 11:50 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Who do you think told Kap to take the knee.


Mayor DeBlowhards Wife

That's a stupid response. A Veteran told him to do it instead of sitting. I'm no fan of Kaep, not because he kneeled, but because of the police portrayed as pigs on his socks and the wearing of the Castro shirt. Had he done it right he might have had better results. There are far better black leaders in American than Kaep. Megan Rapino is a far better leader as well. I support her and all the players being able to use their platform to fight for justice for all.

I just threw up in my mouth a little bit with that Rapinoe comment.

Like Reply Quote
Re: U.S. Soccer board: 'We apologize to our players -- especially our black players -- staff, fans
Larry Miller #740869 06/12/20 12:06 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Rapinoe , please she’s what’s wrong with America today

Like Reply Quote
Re: U.S. Soccer board: 'We apologize to our players -- especially our black players -- staff, fans
Anonymous #740871 06/12/20 12:07 PM
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 18,687
Likes: 14
Chief Rocker
Back of THE NET
OP Online
Chief Rocker
Back of THE NET
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 18,687
Likes: 14
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Rapinoe , please she’s what’s wrong with America today

No she isn’t, but you are.

Like Reply Quote
Re: U.S. Soccer board: 'We apologize to our players -- especially our black players -- staff, fans
Anonymous #740872 06/12/20 12:19 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Rapinoe , please she’s what’s wrong with America today

Hardly. You don't like her because she's an outspoken woman, is gay, is a World Champion Soccer player, is an activist for equality and many other causes, thinks women deserve to be paid as much as men? What else can I add? You have any daughters? If so would you tell them they can't be paid as much as men because their women or not as good as men? She exercises her freedom of speech to voice her strong dislike for Trump? That get your tighty whities in a bunch? Can you say First Ammendment? Break out of your little middle class suburban bubble and wake up. There is no more maintaining the status quo in America! Change is needed and is gonna happen with or without you. Don't you want to be on the side of justice and equality for all?

Like Reply Quote
Re: U.S. Soccer board: 'We apologize to our players -- especially our black players -- staff, fans
Anonymous #740873 06/12/20 12:24 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Who do you think told Kap to take the knee.


Mayor DeBlowhards Wife

That's a stupid response. A Veteran told him to do it instead of sitting. I'm no fan of Kaep, not because he kneeled, but because of the police portrayed as pigs on his socks and the wearing of the Castro shirt. Had he done it right he might have had better results. There are far better black leaders in American than Kaep. Megan Rapino is a far better leader as well. I support her and all the players being able to use their platform to fight for justice for all.

I just threw up in my mouth a little bit with that Rapinoe comment.
Did you choke on it too? Another person living in a bubble world afraid of whats going on in the world.

Like Reply Quote
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled


Link Copied to Clipboard

Click Here!