Spring '20 Scores & Standings:| BDA | CDYSL | CJSL | ECNL | BECNL | EDP [NA] [MA] [Futures] | ENY Challenge | NY State Cup |
| GDA | LIJSL | LI Cup | NCSANJ | NPL | NYCSL | WYSL | WYSL Premier |

Latest Posts
B2010:U10 Fall 2019/Spring 2020
by Anonymous - 04/07/20 09:19 PM
Eastern FC Tryouts
by Larry Miller - 04/07/20 09:15 PM
FC Transylvania Tryouts
by Larry Miller - 04/07/20 09:14 PM
EDP Spring 2020
EDP Conferences (NA) (MA)
Futures Scores & Standings
USSDA Standings 2019-2020
GDA Standings
BDA Standings
ECNL 2019-2020
Girls NE Standings
Girls NE Schedule
Boys NE Scores
Boys NE Schedule
WYSL Scores & Standings
Spring '20 Scores & Standings
LIJSL Scores & Standings
Spring '20 Scores & Standings
Spring '20 LI Cup
LIJSL Spr. '20 Schedule
ENY State Cups 2019-2020
Challenge Cup
NY State Cup
NSCAA HS & College Rankings
Sponsors

SUSA
Academy
Camps and Clinics
Leagues
Tournaments
Private Training
Happy Feet
Birthday Parties
Field Rental
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 43 guests, and 9 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

BOTN en Espaol
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Page 15 of 16 1 2 13 14 15 16
Re: Referee Shortage-Solutions? [Re: Anonymous] #733762 02/28/20 03:18 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Background checks ARE important because do you want a convicted sex offender near children?
I've left plenty of games where kids are waiting to be picked up by a parent and I, the referee, am the only person left.

Also, it literally takes 2 minutes to fill out the risk mgmt form so time is not an issue and it's free.

All jobs have training. My son had to watch a 2 hour video to work at McDonalds, fill out multiple forms and read manuals.
My daughter trained at a restaurant and didn't even get her full salary til after 8 weeks of training.

If you AR maybe one weekend, you could have all of those fees paid off. Minimum AR fee is from $28-$50 a game. What other job can a 15 year old make that kind of money in cash right away??

This job isn't for everyone.

Maybe you are the one that needs to have the back ground check....why the hell are you alone with the kids after the games "many times" (as you said) the only person left? your the ref, the game is over...go the fk home.

Mostly because my daughter is an AR. The crew often stays behind to discuss the game or travel together to the next field. I don't know every official she works with, so it is for her safety as well.

But to answer your other question, I've been doing this for 10 years now. Sometimes I have a long drive so I use the restroom. I also like to change out of my uniform before I leave. Some games require paperwork to be filled out before I can leave. If I go to the parking lot and see a kid standing there alone it worries me.

The bigger question, is why wouldn't you want a background check for someone working with and around children? Only someone with something to hide would even question this.

Yes another question....WHY ARE YOU CHANGING OUT OF YOUR UNIFORM WHILE YOU ARE ALONE IN THE PARKING LOT WITH A KID THERE? Perhaps you do not want to be identified? this is the 2nd time you have possibly incriminated yourself!!!! Very scary indeed.

Not OP but you are just being silly now. Ref uniforms are ridiculous and embarrassing to wear anywhere other than on the field. Try stopping at the supermarket or the pub with a ref uniform on and escaping without at least one wise guy (maybe you?)making a comment. On top of which, at least 25 per cent of the time a ref is either soaked to the skin with rain, soaked in sweat or covered in mud after five games on the trot. I am sure you are trolling but try to be realistic.

Reply Quote
Junior Soccer Advertisements

Re: Referee Shortage-Solutions? [Re: Anonymous] #733763 02/28/20 03:34 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Background checks ARE important because do you want a convicted sex offender near children?
I've left plenty of games where kids are waiting to be picked up by a parent and I, the referee, am the only person left.

Also, it literally takes 2 minutes to fill out the risk mgmt form so time is not an issue and it's free.

All jobs have training. My son had to watch a 2 hour video to work at McDonalds, fill out multiple forms and read manuals.
My daughter trained at a restaurant and didn't even get her full salary til after 8 weeks of training.

If you AR maybe one weekend, you could have all of those fees paid off. Minimum AR fee is from $28-$50 a game. What other job can a 15 year old make that kind of money in cash right away??

Maybe you are the one that needs to have the back ground check....why the hell are you alone with the kids after the games "many times" (as you said) the only person left? your the ref, the game is over...go the fk home.

Mostly because my daughter is an AR. The crew often stays behind to discuss the game or travel together to the next field. I don't know every official she works with, so it is for her safety as well.

But to answer your other question, I've been doing this for 10 years now. Sometimes I have a long drive so I use the restroom. I also like to change out of my uniform before I leave. Some games require paperwork to be filled out before I can leave. If I go to the parking lot and see a kid standing there alone it worries me.

The bigger question, is why wouldn't you want a background check for someone working with and around children? Only someone with something to hide would even question this.

Yes another question....WHY ARE YOU CHANGING OUT OF YOUR UNIFORM WHILE YOU ARE ALONE IN THE PARKING LOT WITH A KID THERE? Perhaps you do not want to be identified? this is the 2nd time you have possibly incriminated yourself!!!! Very scary indeed.

I'm curious, do you have reading comprehension problems? PP said they go to the restroom and change out of their uniform. Some people don't like driving in sweaty clothes, what's wrong with that?

They take care of their business, whether it's going to the restroom, talking to other refs, filling out paperwork, whatever, and go to the parking lot. There they see a young child standing alone. You would rather they just ignore the kid and drive off?

Reply Quote
Re: Referee Shortage-Solutions? [Re: Anonymous] #733766 02/28/20 05:41 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I'm curious, do you have reading comprehension problems? PP said they go to the restroom and change out of their uniform. Some people don't like driving in sweaty clothes, what's wrong with that?

They take care of their business, whether it's going to the restroom, talking to other refs, filling out paperwork, whatever, and go to the parking lot. There they see a young child standing alone. You would rather they just ignore the kid and drive off?

If you are a predator moonlighting as a youth soccer referee...YES just drive off.....and who are you? a fkg catholic priest posing as a soccer parent? get the fk outa here!!!

Reply Quote
Re: Referee Shortage-Solutions? [Re: LIRef77] #733782 02/29/20 11:46 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Yes another question....WHY ARE YOU CHANGING OUT OF YOUR UNIFORM WHILE YOU ARE ALONE IN THE PARKING LOT WITH A KID THERE? Perhaps you do not want to be identified? this is the 2nd time you have possibly incriminated yourself!!!! Very scary indeed.[/quote]

They take care of their business, whether it's going to the restroom, talking to other refs, filling out paperwork, whatever, and go to the parking lot. There they see a young child standing alone. You would rather they just ignore the kid and drive off? [/quote]

If you are a predator moonlighting as a youth soccer referee...YES just drive off.....and who are you? a fkg catholic priest posing as a soccer parent? get the fk outa here!!!
[/quote]
Wow, defensive much? If you're going to leave a young child by themselves in a public park, go ahead. I'd prefer someone stay with them (don't take them anywhere) and call police on their cell phone.

Reply Quote
Re: Referee Shortage-Solutions? [Re: LIRef77] #733910 03/02/20 11:17 PM
L
LIRef77 Offline OP
Back of THE NET
OP Offline
Back of THE NET
L

Why is it that people would question the character of a referee who has had a background check and is hanging around with a child that has been left alone by all the other parents and Coaches? So you referee critics prefer to knock the referee while not saying a word about all the other adults that left a child behind because nobody cared enough? Really?

Don’t be ignorant if you are going to argue something back it up by FACTS. When presented with the facts of the situation you ignore them and prefer to act like anonymous, cowardly trolls. Part of the referee certification/recertification process now includes “SAFESPORT” training, an online training session that teaches all coaches and officials about child sexual abuse, how to spot the clues and to report anything they see immediately. Every adult involved in youth sports today has to take this class.

Referees are a diverse group in many ways. We have doctors, psychologists, police, firemen, teachers, lawyers, retirees, business owners and all sorts of blue and white collar folks. We have Americans whose backgrounds represent just about every country in the world.To impugn the character of many of these individuals is disgusting! All you negative posters are doing is proving that there is a toxic atmosphere around the youth soccer game and this is at the very heart of the referee shortage!

Now for those of you that have a reading comprehension problem we can either end the discussion about the referee shortage OR you can have a moderator start a new forum and criticize anything you want but THIS FORUM is to address the referee shortage and any POSITIVE solutions regarding this issue.

Reply Quote
Soccer Events

Re: Referee Shortage-Solutions? [Re: LIRef77] #733932 03/03/20 12:19 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by LIRef77

Why is it that people would question the character of a referee who has had a background check and is hanging around with a child that has been left alone by all the other parents and Coaches? So you referee critics prefer to knock the referee while not saying a word about all the other adults that left a child behind because nobody cared enough? Really?

Don’t be ignorant if you are going to argue something back it up by FACTS. When presented with the facts of the situation you ignore them and prefer to act like anonymous, cowardly trolls. Part of the referee certification/recertification process now includes “SAFESPORT” training, an online training session that teaches all coaches and officials about child sexual abuse, how to spot the clues and to report anything they see immediately. Every adult involved in youth sports today has to take this class.

Referees are a diverse group in many ways. We have doctors, psychologists, police, firemen, teachers, lawyers, retirees, business owners and all sorts of blue and white collar folks. We have Americans whose backgrounds represent just about every country in the world.To impugn the character of many of these individuals is disgusting! All you negative posters are doing is proving that there is a toxic atmosphere around the youth soccer game and this is at the very heart of the referee shortage!

Now for those of you that have a reading comprehension problem we can either end the discussion about the referee shortage OR you can have a moderator start a new forum and criticize anything you want but THIS FORUM is to address the referee shortage and any POSITIVE solutions regarding this issue.

FYI, background checks only work if someone has a history. If the predator has never done anything wrong in the past and/or has never been convicted of a crime...the back ground check will say OK. BUT if this person is thinking of commiting his 1st crime the back ground check is worthless.

DO NOT BE THE 1st VICTIM....Perhaps we need physiological testing and profiling for anyone involved with and or working around kids....If a certified panel of shrinks say you should not be around kids, and/or own a fire arm...than thats it.

Reply Quote
Re: Referee Shortage-Solutions? [Re: Anonymous] #734028 03/05/20 11:10 AM
L
LIRef77 Offline OP
Back of THE NET
OP Offline
Back of THE NET
L

FYI, background checks only work if someone has a history. If the predator has never done anything wrong in the past and/or has never been convicted of a crime...the back ground check will say OK. BUT if this person is thinking of commiting his 1st crime the back ground check is worthless.

DO NOT BE THE 1st VICTIM....Perhaps we need physiological testing and profiling for anyone involved with and or working around kids....If a certified panel of shrinks say you should not be around kids, and/or own a fire arm...than thats it.

Well regarding referees they are only around children during games whereas Coaches and Trainers are around the children for practices and games. All adults involved in the sport are required to do the background check and of course it will only catch those with a record Captain Obvious! Let’s not get too carried away with talking to PSYCHOLOGISTS because they do not have the skill set to determine if someone is a predator based on an interview. Are lie detectors next?

Back to the forum subject Referee Shortage. Here’s one solution-require clubs to supply one referee per age group team. If your club is a large one then maybe increase the ratio. In other words if your club has 5 U12 teams then require that club to provide 5 referees from their Coach ranks. Have all the Coaches in the club certify as referees and require 5 of them to work games.

Reply Quote
Re: Referee Shortage-Solutions? [Re: LIRef77] #734029 03/05/20 11:19 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
its tough enough to find volunteer coaches for little timmys soccer team on the weekends...now you are suggesting they become certified referees as well?

Reply Quote
Re: Referee Shortage-Solutions? [Re: LIRef77] #734062 03/05/20 06:25 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Back to the forum subject Referee Shortage. Here’s one solution-require clubs to supply one referee per age group team. If your club is a large one then maybe increase the ratio. In other words if your club has 5 U12 teams then require that club to provide 5 referees from their Coach ranks. Have all the Coaches in the club certify as referees and require 5 of them to work games.

Agree w/PP. It's tough enough to find coaches, much less have them give up even MORE time to ref games.

Treat it like any job... offer enough (whether it's money, free uniforms, free meals, free training, free kids league fee, whatever) and you'll get interest. Actually RECRUIT. The assigner can set up a table on game days with signs like "Make extra cash, spend time outside, etc". Make becoming a ref desirable.

Reply Quote
Youth Soccer Events of Interest

Re: Referee Shortage-Solutions? [Re: Anonymous] #734067 03/05/20 08:26 PM
L
LIRef77 Offline OP
Back of THE NET
OP Offline
Back of THE NET
L

Agree w/PP. It's tough enough to find coaches, much less have them give up even MORE time to ref games.

Treat it like any job... offer enough (whether it's money, free uniforms, free meals, free training, free kids league fee, whatever) and you'll get interest. Actually RECRUIT. The assigner can set up a table on game days with signs like "Make extra cash, spend time outside, etc". Make becoming a ref desirable.

Well as a former Coach I will tell you that we already have Coaches as referees and they make great referees and I would like more of them to join the ranks. Most Coaches give so much of their time for free, getting paid as a referee allows them to focus on their own performance and the match they work.

It’s different calling a games as a referee than coaching a game with all the emotional involvement. As a referee you don’t care who wins you just try to call a fair game. No tears to wipe after the game just thoughts about how you could have done something better or different.

Reply Quote
Re: Referee Shortage-Solutions? [Re: LIRef77] #734083 03/06/20 07:48 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Well as a former Coach I will tell you that we already have Coaches as referees and they make great referees and I would like more of them to join the ranks. Most Coaches give so much of their time for free, getting paid as a referee allows them to focus on their own performance and the match they work.

It’s different calling a games as a referee than coaching a game with all the emotional involvement. As a referee you don’t care who wins you just try to call a fair game. No tears to wipe after the game just thoughts about how you could have done something better or different.

But there's a difference between CHOOSING to Coach and Ref and being FORCED to. I never said coaches would be bad referees, I think anyone who has an understanding on the game is a good candidate. But you suggested taking the VOLUNTEER coaches and forcing them to ref... means spending money on the classes and the uniforms at minimum AND giving up more time with their family. That sounds like a good idea to you?

Again, treat it like any job, and make the benefit to the worker good enough and you'll have so many applicants, you won't know what to do.

Reply Quote
Re: Referee Shortage-Solutions? [Re: LIRef77] #734086 03/06/20 09:15 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
or, or maybe for new referees The upfront costs should be covered (training, classes, certifications, uniforms, etc). They can pay it back over a period of 2-3 months (or what ever duration thats established). after that referee can collect the entire fee for his duties moving forward.

Reply Quote
Re: Referee Shortage-Solutions? [Re: Anonymous] #734117 03/06/20 12:11 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
its tough enough to find volunteer coaches for little timmys soccer team on the weekends...now you are suggesting they become certified referees as well?

People are great at volunteering other people to work more.

Reply Quote
Re: Referee Shortage-Solutions? [Re: Anonymous] #734157 03/06/20 05:05 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

lol

Reply Quote
Re: Referee Shortage-Solutions? [Re: Anonymous] #734196 03/07/20 09:55 PM
L
LIRef77 Offline OP
Back of THE NET
OP Offline
Back of THE NET
L

Who said volunteer work? They would get paid and right before the game which may balance out all the time they have been volunteering!

Nobody has an extra 90 minutes to referee a game after their team plays? Many children referee and then go play for their teams and vice versa. If players can do it so can Coaches, oh wait many Coaches already do it!

Reply Quote
Upcoming Soccer Happenings

Re: Referee Shortage-Solutions? [Re: LIRef77] #734201 03/08/20 08:54 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Who said volunteer work? They would get paid and right before the game which may balance out all the time they have been volunteering!

Nobody has an extra 90 minutes to referee a game after their team plays? Many children referee and then go play for their teams and vice versa. If players can do it so can Coaches, oh wait many Coaches already do it!

But isn't that the choice of the players (and coaches)? What if the coach has another child playing they want to go see? "Sorry, Timmy, I can't come watch your game because I have to ref." You want to take someone who's willing to volunteer multiple hours a week to coach their kids and FORCE them to do another couple of hours? I think that's a good way to lose coaches. I don't care whether you pay them or not.

Reply Quote
Re: Referee Shortage-Solutions? [Re: LIRef77] #734202 03/08/20 09:09 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I didn't say volunteer, i said volunteering others. As in saying that other people should step up as opposed to doing it themselves.

Reply Quote
Re: Referee Shortage-Solutions? [Re: Anonymous] #734229 03/09/20 11:26 AM
L
LIRef77 Offline OP
Back of THE NET
OP Offline
Back of THE NET
L

But isn't that the choice of the players (and coaches)? What if the coach has another child playing they want to go see? "Sorry, Timmy, I can't come watch your game because I have to ref." You want to take someone who's willing to volunteer multiple hours a week to coach their kids and FORCE them to do another couple of hours? I think that's a good way to lose coaches. I don't care whether you pay them or not.

Again, we have Coaches that are referees and what you don’t know is that when you are a Coach the referee assignor has your entire game schedule to make sure that you are not scheduled as a referee during your games, so that will not and does not happen!

Reply Quote
Re: Referee Shortage-Solutions? [Re: LIRef77] #734261 03/09/20 09:39 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Again, we have Coaches that are referees and what you don’t know is that when you are a Coach the referee assignor has your entire game schedule to make sure that you are not scheduled as a referee during your games, so that will not and does not happen!

So every coach coaches ALL their kids? Family with two kids. One is U10 and one is U15. Dad coaches the U10 but NOT the U15. U10 plays at 8am and the U15 at 11a. No problem making both games. BUT, you want to keep the coach around to ref at 9am and 10am? I *GUARANTEE* you if you tell coaches they MUST ref, you. will. lose. coaches. It has nothing to do with whether they'd be good refs or not. I don't think you can (nor should you) FORCE volunteers to do another task. Again, make reffing worth it to them. Maybe their kid gets free entry fee. Pay them some more to ref. Make it worth it and they'll show up.

Reply Quote
Re: Referee Shortage-Solutions? [Re: Anonymous] #734290 03/10/20 11:20 AM
L
LIRef77 Offline OP
Back of THE NET
OP Offline
Back of THE NET
L

So every coach coaches ALL their kids? Family with two kids. One is U10 and one is U15. Dad coaches the U10 but NOT the U15. U10 plays at 8am and the U15 at 11a. No problem making both games. BUT, you want to keep the coach around to ref at 9am and 10am? I *GUARANTEE* you if you tell coaches they MUST ref, you. will. lose. coaches. It has nothing to do with whether they'd be good refs or not. I don't think you can (nor should you) FORCE volunteers to do another task. Again, make reffing worth it to them. Maybe their kid gets free entry fee. Pay them some more to ref. Make it worth it and they'll show up.

Nobody wants to FORCE anyone to do anything. Clubs should encourage some of their Coaches to become referees. Many clubs have required Coaches to complete referee training to be familiar with the LOTG.

Encouraging Coaches to become referees should include paying for their training fees and some of their uniform start up costs.

Personally I do not want to “force” anyone to do anything because that will lead to unhappy people trying to do a good job which is a bad combination and does not lead to good results. The example you cited is NOT a good candidate to be a referee.

Reply Quote
Junior Soccer Advertisements

Re: Referee Shortage-Solutions? [Re: LIRef77] #734316 03/10/20 02:43 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Nobody wants to FORCE anyone to do anything. Clubs should encourage some of their Coaches to become referees. Many clubs have required Coaches to complete referee training to be familiar with the LOTG.

Encouraging Coaches to become referees should include paying for their training fees and some of their uniform start up costs.

Personally I do not want to “force” anyone to do anything because that will lead to unhappy people trying to do a good job which is a bad combination and does not lead to good results. The example you cited is NOT a good candidate to be a referee.

Well, based on your earlier statement, it sure sounded like you wanted to FORCE coaches to become refs...

Have all the Coaches in the club certify as referees

NOW you come out and say the clubs should pay the training fees and upfront costs.

Reply Quote
Re: Referee Shortage-Solutions? [Re: LIRef77] #734318 03/10/20 02:49 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So here's something interesting I found. According to the State cup rulebook

7.2 REFEREES

7.2.1 A three man certified referee system shall be assigned for all U15 and above age groups. A three man certified referee system shall be assigned for all other age groups whenever available.

So fully expect on Long Island to see only 1 referee for games through U-14. Think about this and wonder why???

Reply Quote
Re: Referee Shortage-Solutions? [Re: Anonymous] #734330 03/10/20 07:02 PM
L
LIRef77 Offline OP
Back of THE NET
OP Offline
Back of THE NET
L

Well, based on your earlier statement, it sure sounded like you wanted to FORCE coaches to become refs...

Have all the Coaches in the club certify as referees

NOW you come out and say the clubs should pay the training fees and upfront costs.

I never said have ALL the Coaches certify, and if having the club pay the costs of Coaches to certify as referees encourages Coaches to do it then yes I am in favor of it. Coaches are already dedicated to spending a lot of time around the youth game. I am NOT in favor of paying for others to certify because they are going to make money working games (as will the Coaches) and they will quickly make the money back. Also paying for people not willing to “buy in” gives them no skin in the game.

Reply Quote
Re: Referee Shortage-Solutions? [Re: LIRef77] #734345 03/11/20 06:49 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I never said have ALL the Coaches certify, and if having the club pay the costs of Coaches to certify as referees encourages Coaches to do it then yes I am in favor of it. Coaches are already dedicated to spending a lot of time around the youth game. I am NOT in favor of paying for others to certify because they are going to make money working games (as will the Coaches) and they will quickly make the money back. Also paying for people not willing to “buy in” gives them no skin in the game.

I certainly respect what you do and your opinions posted on this board. But yes, you DID say "Have all the Coaches in the club certify as referees." That's a direct quote from you in post #734028.

You have a problem with not enough referees. What would McDonalds do if they didn't have enough applicants for an open position? They make the position more "attractive". Maybe offer more money, discounted meals, whatever. Treat this like a business (which it is). If you're waiting for someone to sign up to ref out of the goodness of their hearts, you're going to be waiting a long time.

Reply Quote
Re: Referee Shortage-Solutions? [Re: Anonymous] #734359 03/11/20 10:12 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You have a problem with not enough referees. What would McDonalds do if they didn't have enough applicants for an open position? They make the position more "attractive". Maybe offer more money, discounted meals, whatever. Treat this like a business (which it is). If you're waiting for someone to sign up to ref out of the goodness of their hearts, you're going to be waiting a long time.

What if McDonalds wanted to remain short staffed for higher profits and didn't care about customer complaints or employee morale? Oh, wait. That's how it works. Except the people that want refs to put up what they have to put up with in their own crappy jobs can't understand the refs don't need this.

Reply Quote
Page 15 of 16 1 2 13 14 15 16
Quick Reply

Options HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled

Nobody Does It Better
Tournaments
Voorhees Mem. Classic 5/22
Gettysburg Blue Gray 5/23
Columbia Invit. Mem. Day 5/23
EDP Pocono Mem. 5/23
Commack Memorial Day 5/23