Spring '20 Scores & Standings:| BDA | CDYSL | CJSL | ECNL | BECNL | EDP [NA] [MA] [Futures] | ENY Challenge | NY State Cup |
| GDA | LIJSL | LI Cup | NCSANJ | NPL | NYCSL | WYSL | WYSL Premier |

Latest Posts
So, When Do You Think the Games Will Start Up Again?
by Anonymous - 04/01/20 09:39 PM
US Club Updated Notice
by Anonymous - 04/01/20 08:36 PM
Hanky Panky at FC Fury GDA
by Anonymous - 04/01/20 08:31 PM
EDP Spring 2020
EDP Conferences (NA) (MA)
Futures Scores & Standings
USSDA Standings 2019-2020
GDA Standings
BDA Standings
ECNL 2019-2020
Girls NE Standings
Girls NE Schedule
Boys NE Scores
Boys NE Schedule
WYSL Scores & Standings
Spring '20 Scores & Standings
LIJSL Scores & Standings
Spring '20 Scores & Standings
Spring '20 LI Cup
LIJSL Spr. '20 Schedule
ENY State Cups 2019-2020
Challenge Cup
NY State Cup
NSCAA HS & College Rankings
Sponsors

SUSA
Academy
Camps and Clinics
Leagues
Tournaments
Private Training
Happy Feet
Birthday Parties
Field Rental
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 37 guests, and 10 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

BOTN en Espańol
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Page 14 of 16 1 2 12 13 14 15 16
Re: Referee Shortage-Solutions? [Re: Anonymous] #733569 02/24/20 08:26 PM
L
LIRef77 Offline OP
Back of THE NET
OP Offline
Back of THE NET
L
Originally Posted by Anonymous
I was reffing a game once in northshore and I had a pal on the line, well we were getting so much Abuse from these two particular guys that we were concerned for our safety. Now after the game I said to my friend let's deal with this as if we were in a parking lot in Home Depot. So as were walking to our car these two ...holes started in with the abuse. Well me and my friend both from Europe originally, adressed the situation the way we would in every day life, and rather than running and cowering to our car, I said come on then lets ....ing go I'll put you in the ....ing gutter you pair of ....ing pricks, and I walked up to one of them street style and offered him the first punch, oh it was brilliant, should of seen his face like a baby, they didn't say a word the look of shock on there cowardly faces were priceless, so f... You parents and coaches remember we are men too with pride, I wish there were more like us,then they might think about opening there fat ugly mouths.

good for you....this is usually the perfect way to handle bullys in school as well.
Once you show you have PRIDE and willing to fight for it...Bullys will RESPECT you and leave you alone....more than likely they will move to another weaker target.

Bullies are Tough who will back off when confronted. So I guess they really are not tough at ALL

That’s exactly why the best way to take care of a bully is DURING THE GAME when you have the opportunity to draw the line and yellow card the coach for the parent bully. Once you do this the players, parents and coaches get it IMMEDIATELY.
The other thing it does is that you are carrying it out with all these witnesses and it immediately obliterates the bully’s power. It sets the tone and settles everything down and usually improves the enjoyment of the game for everyone. That’s why you have to take care of it right away because it can deteriorate in to a toxic game of disrespect from all.

Players ask me to stop the bullies why would I ignore it and let it get to that point?

Reply Quote
Junior Soccer Advertisements

Re: Referee Shortage-Solutions? [Re: LIRef77] #733602 02/25/20 01:46 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
To my fellow referees (who are probably not in this forum), are you seriously not re-registering because you have to take a background check and a continuing education class that is 4 hours??

I don't care if there is a shortage, there is no valid reason, in my opinion, that bettering your knowledge of the game is bad thing. Even if you think its boring.

There is very little education being given at the LISRA meetings. In fact, they didn't even start teaching the changes until a week before the fall season started. That is way too late in my opinion because you had to cram a lot of new changes into one meeting, so no questions were even allowed. We spend 2 hours a month at those meetings, so what is a 4 hour class once a year?

Our job is to keep the kids safe and enforce the LOTG, but how can we do that if we are not educated when they change. And changes happen every year.

And yes, the fees should be higher, they are not horrible, but we do have quite a lot of expenses. Better assigning without so much travel in between each game could really help in that area.

We need better recruiting, if a 4 hour class is going to discourage you then this probably isn't the best job to sign up for.

Thanks

Reply Quote
Re: Referee Shortage-Solutions? [Re: Anonymous] #733624 02/25/20 05:24 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Id like to become a referee. I have some experience in coaching my kids local team and reffing some of their scrimmages and a weekly indoor game that they play. My kids are getting to the age where they dont need my help anymore and Id like to stay connected. Whats the first step?

Reply Quote
Re: Referee Shortage-Solutions? [Re: Anonymous] #733626 02/25/20 05:53 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
To my fellow referees (who are probably not in this forum), are you seriously not re-registering because you have to take a background check and a continuing education class that is 4 hours??

I don't care if there is a shortage, there is no valid reason, in my opinion, that bettering your knowledge of the game is bad thing. Even if you think its boring.

There is very little education being given at the LISRA meetings. In fact, they didn't even start teaching the changes until a week before the fall season started. That is way too late in my opinion because you had to cram a lot of new changes into one meeting, so no questions were even allowed. We spend 2 hours a month at those meetings, so what is a 4 hour class once a year?

Our job is to keep the kids safe and enforce the LOTG, but how can we do that if we are not educated when they change. And changes happen every year.

And yes, the fees should be higher, they are not horrible, but we do have quite a lot of expenses. Better assigning without so much travel in between each game could really help in that area.

We need better recruiting, if a 4 hour class is going to discourage you then this probably isn't the best job to sign up for.

Thanks

It's 11.5 hours plus travel time for new refs between the risk management, the online courses, the in-classroom work and the on-the-field work. That and more than $500 (for 18+) in costs once you add up everything you need to spend money on. That's a pretty big vig for someone who isn't dedicated to spending every weekend on the soccer fields.

Reply Quote
Re: Referee Shortage-Solutions? [Re: Anonymous] #733629 02/25/20 08:11 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Id like to become a referee. I have some experience in coaching my kids local team and reffing some of their scrimmages and a weekly indoor game that they play. My kids are getting to the age where they dont need my help anymore and Id like to stay connected. Whats the first step?

Go here: https://learning.ussoccer.com/referee/

Reply Quote
Soccer Events

Re: Referee Shortage-Solutions? [Re: Anonymous] #733630 02/25/20 08:15 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thanks

It's 11.5 hours plus travel time for new refs between the risk management, the online courses, the in-classroom work and the on-the-field work. That and more than $500 (for 18+) in costs once you add up everything you need to spend money on. That's a pretty big vig for someone who isn't dedicated to spending every weekend on the soccer fields.

My daughter just got her ref license. Granted, she's 14, so she didn't have to deal with the background check. But, as far as time, she spent ~5 hours online over 3 days, then had a four hour field class. That's 9 hours, plus ~1 hour travel (round trip). The certification cost $65.

We just ordered her a "referee starter kit" along with an extra jersey. That was $100. Granted, I'm not in LI, so maybe the costs for the class are more?

Reply Quote
Re: Referee Shortage-Solutions? [Re: Anonymous] #733632 02/25/20 08:41 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thanks

My daughter just got her ref license. Granted, she's 14, so she didn't have to deal with the background check. But, as far as time, she spent ~5 hours online over 3 days, then had a four hour field class. That's 9 hours, plus ~1 hour travel (round trip). The certification cost $65.

We just ordered her a "referee starter kit" along with an extra jersey. That was $100. Granted, I'm not in LI, so maybe the costs for the class are more?

On long island for an adult there is the 90 minute safesport class. Then the 4 hour online class. Then there is the 6 hour "grassroots" class for new refs which is 4 hours of classroom, 2 hours of field work with a half hour break. So really 12 hours overall plus the driving to wherever the closest grassroots class is. It's $30 for the risk management, $190 for the grassroots class (which includes a uniform), $170 for the LISRA union dues and then you still need to buy the alternative color uniforms because the included kit only includes the yellow so figure another $100 for that. And I'm pretty sure that there is another $35 administrative fee in there too.

Reply Quote
Re: Referee Shortage-Solutions? [Re: LIRef77] #733636 02/25/20 09:42 PM
L
LIRef77 Offline OP
Back of THE NET
OP Offline
Back of THE NET
L
Obviously to be a referee you have to be committed financially and psychologically. It may seem daunting or time consuming but the players invest a lot more time and money over their playing years and the least the referees can do is to equal that COMMITMENT. It’s ok to do it just for the money but it helps to also have a passion for it. I have yet to meet a referee that hated his job. They may dislike some of the things that happen but they mostly love calling a game.

You have to want to do it and any barriers that are out in place to make it more difficult should not matter.

Reply Quote
Re: Referee Shortage-Solutions? [Re: LIRef77] #733638 02/25/20 11:14 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by LIRef77
You have to want to do it and any barriers that are out in place to make it more difficult should not matter.

But that's the thing. You never really know if you really want to do it, and many people that could be good are reluctant even before the huge barriers.

Reply Quote
Youth Soccer Events of Interest

Re: Referee Shortage-Solutions? [Re: Anonymous] #733642 02/26/20 07:22 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thanks

On long island for an adult there is the 90 minute safesport class. Then the 4 hour online class. Then there is the 6 hour "grassroots" class for new refs which is 4 hours of classroom, 2 hours of field work with a half hour break. So really 12 hours overall plus the driving to wherever the closest grassroots class is. It's $30 for the risk management, $190 for the grassroots class (which includes a uniform), $170 for the LISRA union dues and then you still need to buy the alternative color uniforms because the included kit only includes the yellow so figure another $100 for that. And I'm pretty sure that there is another $35 administrative fee in there too.

Um, uniform shirts for $100? I think you need to do some better shopping. You use the same shorts and socks, just get an alternative jersey. Order online. They're $35-50 depending on the quality. The $190 for the course is a little high, our course & uniform costs would be $130. And we don't have union dues.

Reply Quote
Re: Referee Shortage-Solutions? [Re: Anonymous] #733648 02/26/20 09:42 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thanks

Um, uniform shirts for $100? I think you need to do some better shopping. You use the same shorts and socks, just get an alternative jersey. Order online. They're $35-50 depending on the quality. The $190 for the course is a little high, our course & uniform costs would be $130. And we don't have union dues.

Background check for referees is kinda dumb and a waste of time and they should do away with it. All the kids on the field are supervised by the coaches (who already have a back ground check) and the parents....theres just too much bs and stupidity in the world. whats next? you will need to get a background check if you are an expecting parent?

Reply Quote
Re: Referee Shortage-Solutions? [Re: Anonymous] #733651 02/26/20 11:13 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Background checks ARE important because do you want a convicted sex offender near children?
I've left plenty of games where kids are waiting to be picked up by a parent and I, the referee, am the only person left.

Also, it literally takes 2 minutes to fill out the risk mgmt form so time is not an issue and it's free.

All jobs have training. My son had to watch a 2 hour video to work at McDonalds, fill out multiple forms and read manuals.
My daughter trained at a restaurant and didn't even get her full salary til after 8 weeks of training.

If you AR maybe one weekend, you could have all of those fees paid off. Minimum AR fee is from $28-$50 a game. What other job can a 15 year old make that kind of money in cash right away??

This job isn't for everyone.

Reply Quote
Re: Referee Shortage-Solutions? [Re: Anonymous] #733662 02/26/20 01:09 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

But that's the thing. You never really know if you really want to do it, and many people that could be good are reluctant even before the huge barriers.

Exactly, the people that aren't sure but would likely love it once in don't sign up in the first place due to the upfront costs and commitment.

Reply Quote
Re: Referee Shortage-Solutions? [Re: Anonymous] #733663 02/26/20 01:10 PM
L
LIRef77 Offline OP
Back of THE NET
OP Offline
Back of THE NET
L
[quote=Anonymous]Background checks ARE important because do you want a convicted sex offender near children?
I've left plenty of games where kids are waiting to be picked up by a parent and I, the referee, am the only person left.

Also, it literally takes 2 minutes to fill out the risk mgmt form so time is not an issue and it's free.

All jobs have training. My son had to watch a 2 hour video to work at McDonalds, fill out multiple forms and read manuals.
My daughter trained at a restaurant and didn't even get her full salary til after 8 weeks of training.

If you AR maybe one weekend, you could have all of those fees paid off. Minimum AR fee is from $28-$50 a game. What other job can a 15 year old make that kind of money in cash right away??

You are completely SPOT ON.

[/quote

Reply Quote
Re: Referee Shortage-Solutions? [Re: Anonymous] #733664 02/26/20 01:11 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thanks

Most refs walk around with 2 or 3 alternative shirts. Using your figure of $35 to $50 each that's anywhere from $70 to $150.

Reply Quote
Upcoming Soccer Happenings

Re: Referee Shortage-Solutions? [Re: Anonymous] #733665 02/26/20 01:14 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Background checks ARE important because do you want a convicted sex offender near children?

Your son who had to watch the 2 hour video to work at McDonalds got paid by McDonalds to do so. And while your daughter may have gotten a reduced salary while training, she was also still getting paid to do so. Refs are being asked to pay for their own training before they earn dime one.

Reply Quote
Re: Referee Shortage-Solutions? [Re: Anonymous] #733666 02/26/20 01:19 PM
L
LIRef77 Offline OP
Back of THE NET
OP Offline
Back of THE NET
L

Exactly, the people that aren't sure but would likely love it once in don't sign up in the first place due to the upfront costs and commitment.

If they aren’t sure then no sensible person would want them officiating near any field. Many, many players have to try out for their team. I know back in the day a 16 year old grade 8 referee made $158 after working 5 small sided games that were 50 minute games at a tournament.She got paid on the spot! Where can a young person make that kind of money? The investment of time and uniform items is not that big a deal for most young players because they have paid a lot in practice time and uniform money for their teams. If children can get through this it’s no big deal for any adult that is truly interested.

Reply Quote
Re: Referee Shortage-Solutions? [Re: LIRef77] #733667 02/26/20 01:55 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If they aren’t sure then no sensible person would want them officiating near any field. Many, many players have to try out for their team. I know back in the day a 16 year old grade 8 referee made $158 after working 5 small sided games that were 50 minute games at a tournament.She got paid on the spot! Where can a young person make that kind of money? The investment of time and uniform items is not that big a deal for most young players because they have paid a lot in practice time and uniform money for their teams. If children can get through this it’s no big deal for any adult that is truly interested.

Agreed. For the amount of money most parents spend on training fees, with no guarantee in return of anything, at least a new referee (adult or child) will easily recoup any investment made.

Reply Quote
Re: Referee Shortage-Solutions? [Re: Anonymous] #733669 02/26/20 02:16 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Maybe you are the one that needs to have the back ground check....why the hell are you alone with the kids after the games "many times" (as you said) the only person left? your the ref, the game is over...go the fk home.

Reply Quote
Re: Referee Shortage-Solutions? [Re: Anonymous] #733691 02/26/20 09:55 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Most refs walk around with 2 or 3 alternative shirts. Using your figure of $35 to $50 each that's anywhere from $70 to $150.

And they're purchasing those shirts immediately? They *have* to?

This will be my son's 3rd year reffing. Like idiots, yes, we got him a couple alternate jerseys when he first signed up. He's worn yellow EVERY game so far. He'll hopefully do his first tournament this spring, so maybe the alternates will come in handy. So yes, while I'm sure you can spend a couple hundred easily on new uniforms, and whistles, and write on cards, and bags, etc, etc, is it really a requirement just starting out?

I just looked up the game pay for our local rec league. Minimum is $15. Let's say you do three games a day. In two weekends, you've made $180. That covers my daughter's fees for the classes and first uniform. The next weekend, 6 more games and you're up $90. So maybe buy another jersey. Or maybe not.

Upthread, someone said LI pay is minimum $28. Same three games a day, and after four days you've made over $300.

I wish my job (and my kids and my (lack of) physicality) would allow me to ref. Maybe once I'm an empty nester.

Reply Quote
Junior Soccer Advertisements

Re: Referee Shortage-Solutions? [Re: LIRef77] #733696 02/26/20 11:24 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
if I have to do 90 minutes for safesport I should be able to do online training or webinars instead of the 4 hour class to keep my certifivation

Reply Quote
Re: Referee Shortage-Solutions? [Re: Anonymous] #733699 02/27/20 06:13 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
if I have to do 90 minutes for safesport I should be able to do online training or webinars instead of the 4 hour class to keep my certifivation

My son did his recert online.

Reply Quote
Re: Referee Shortage-Solutions? [Re: Anonymous] #733755 02/28/20 12:04 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Maybe you are the one that needs to have the back ground check....why the hell are you alone with the kids after the games "many times" (as you said) the only person left? your the ref, the game is over...go the fk home.

Mostly because my daughter is an AR. The crew often stays behind to discuss the game or travel together to the next field. I don't know every official she works with, so it is for her safety as well.

But to answer your other question, I've been doing this for 10 years now. Sometimes I have a long drive so I use the restroom. I also like to change out of my uniform before I leave. Some games require paperwork to be filled out before I can leave. If I go to the parking lot and see a kid standing there alone it worries me.

The bigger question, is why wouldn't you want a background check for someone working with and around children? Only someone with something to hide would even question this.

Reply Quote
Re: Referee Shortage-Solutions? [Re: Anonymous] #733757 02/28/20 12:23 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Your son who had to watch the 2 hour video to work at McDonalds got paid by McDonalds to do so. And while your daughter may have gotten a reduced salary while training, she was also still getting paid to do so. Refs are being asked to pay for their own training before they earn dime one.

He did get paid to watch the videos, this was in reference to the comment complaining about the online course being 4 hours and too long. Kids these days watch tic toc videos for 4 hours like its nothing.
In the end he quit McDonalds because he was making much more money in cash on the weekends and could use the weekday time to focus on school work.

My daughter made less money working 8 weeks then she would have made working one weekend. Also, she had to wait 2 weeks to get paid but as an AR she got paid on the field right away.
She also had to buy nice clothes and shoes for her new job. It took her about 3 months to finally be making a profit and she was on the books at $13 an hour. That's why she became an AR. But yes the startup money to become an AR had to wait one weekend to be paid back.

I will also add, that my kids got to run around outside all weekend, learn additional strategies about the game they love and play, and they made a bunch of new friends. For them it was worth it. Now my son is a CR, so he is bringing home double what he was making as an AR. He recently bought a new car. My daughter bought a laptop after working 2 tournaments.

Again, not for everyone.

Reply Quote
Re: Referee Shortage-Solutions? [Re: Anonymous] #733761 02/28/20 01:35 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Mostly because my daughter is an AR. The crew often stays behind to discuss the game or travel together to the next field. I don't know every official she works with, so it is for her safety as well.

But to answer your other question, I've been doing this for 10 years now. Sometimes I have a long drive so I use the restroom. I also like to change out of my uniform before I leave. Some games require paperwork to be filled out before I can leave. If I go to the parking lot and see a kid standing there alone it worries me.

The bigger question, is why wouldn't you want a background check for someone working with and around children? Only someone with something to hide would even question this.

Yes another question....WHY ARE YOU CHANGING OUT OF YOUR UNIFORM WHILE YOU ARE ALONE IN THE PARKING LOT WITH A KID THERE? Perhaps you do not want to be identified? this is the 2nd time you have possibly incriminated yourself!!!! Very scary indeed.

Reply Quote
Page 14 of 16 1 2 12 13 14 15 16
Quick Reply

Options HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled

Nobody Does It Better
Tournaments
Voorhees Mem. Classic 5/22
Gettysburg Blue Gray 5/23
Columbia Invit. Mem. Day 5/23
EDP Pocono Mem. 5/23
Commack Memorial Day 5/23