Spring '20 Scores & Standings:| BDA | CDYSL | CJSL | ECNL | BECNL | EDP [NA] [MA] [Futures] | ENY Challenge | NY State Cup |
| GDA | LIJSL | LI Cup | NCSANJ | NPL | NYCSL | WYSL | WYSL Premier |

Latest Posts
B2010:U10 Fall 2019/Spring 2020
by Anonymous - 04/07/20 09:19 PM
Eastern FC Tryouts
by Larry Miller - 04/07/20 09:15 PM
FC Transylvania Tryouts
by Larry Miller - 04/07/20 09:14 PM
EDP Spring 2020
EDP Conferences (NA) (MA)
Futures Scores & Standings
USSDA Standings 2019-2020
GDA Standings
BDA Standings
ECNL 2019-2020
Girls NE Standings
Girls NE Schedule
Boys NE Scores
Boys NE Schedule
WYSL Scores & Standings
Spring '20 Scores & Standings
LIJSL Scores & Standings
Spring '20 Scores & Standings
Spring '20 LI Cup
LIJSL Spr. '20 Schedule
ENY State Cups 2019-2020
Challenge Cup
NY State Cup
NSCAA HS & College Rankings
Sponsors

SUSA
Academy
Camps and Clinics
Leagues
Tournaments
Private Training
Happy Feet
Birthday Parties
Field Rental
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Dave Birnbaum), 24 guests, and 10 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

BOTN en Espaol
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Page 13 of 16 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 16
Re: Referee Shortage-Solutions? [Re: LIRef77] #733388 02/20/20 01:38 AM
L
LIRef77 Offline OP
Back of THE NET
OP Offline
Back of THE NET
L
This is what’s wrong with a lot of youth soccer. I need to add some comments about OUR CHILDREN REFEREES! Yes the kids that we have in our community that become referees. This is usually a huge emotional Investment and time consuming activity for boys and girls 13-17. Many, many start as referees in their intramural town leagues and have usually been playing since their clinic days at 4 years old. They all vary. They are strikers, defense, midfielders and have played all sorts of positions growing with the game. They love the game and that is why they become referees. But here’s what they do.

I have had 2 15 year old ARs work a U19 game with me and while they are among the most experienced ARs they are able to keep up with the attack and stay with the second to last defender every step of the game. They may not be as fast as the players but as officials they are SMART. Because they can see the attack forming and predict when they will need to hustle and anticipate enough to stay with the action and be RIGHT there to make the offside call. Even the best ARs can make mistakes and I have overridden them very rarely if they get it wrong either way.
But when and if they make a mistake if it happens in the first half I need to have a good talk with them because they get so upset that I have to make sure they let it go. So for any adult to think that any young referee would not care about their performance is just utter nonsense.
Folks these are great kids doing a tough job in a sometimes hostile environment. Try and visualize that child as your own when you see them out there. When they are beat up verbally by adults the players will soon do the same as they have permission to do so. Here’s what most people don’t get. There are 3 teams on the field NOT 2. Those young referees are on my team so I let them know before every game that the second they hear any abuse directed towards them if they think I cannot hear it they need to tell me immediately so that I can immediately take care it.

The idea that youth players are not expected to be perfect but youth referees are is illogical. Our children referees deserve your support and a little compassion.

Reply Quote
Junior Soccer Advertisements

Re: Referee Shortage-Solutions? [Re: LIRef77] #733398 02/20/20 09:48 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
When you use the word "compassion" do you actually mean "wet nursing"?

Reply Quote
Re: Referee Shortage-Solutions? [Re: LIRef77] #733406 02/20/20 11:04 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by LIRef77
Originally Posted by Anonymous
The abuse is only a tiny part of the problem.
Adults don't feel the need to basically volunteer or "give back" when it's soccer as a consumer product not soccer as a community activity.
Adults that need secondary income can now do uber, amazon, and all the other gig stuff.
Teenagers spend all day traveling to play regular season games two states away and use their free time for the 8,000 community services hours, 50 clubs, and 10 AP classes it takes to get into college.
So the supply is WAY smaller even though the demand is WAY higher. What does economics 101 tell us?

Agreed. Also, maybe not Econ 101 but there are broadly three kinds of ref: 1) Young refs who enjoy the work and the money, 2) older refs who enjoy the work and don't need the money and 3) older refs who need the money, regardless of whether they enjoy it or not. A lack of recruitment effort leaves us desperately short of the first group and an increase in game-time hostility plus an incompetent bureaucracy is deterring the second group. When all we are left with is group three, it's a slippery slope. Ye reap what ye sow. When we scream at the refs that they should do what we want them to because they are being paid for it, all you'll get is group three. Good luck with that.

what about young refs who simply need the work and the money (and simply don't care either way)?

They go out and do whatever they want because they know they can't get fired because there's no one to replace them.

The idea that a young referee who has the courage to work as a Center Referee and not care about their performance is so wrong and off the mark. Firstly if you make any major mistakes during a game and it gets reported that referee will get lower level assignments. We Referees attend meetings and clinics and are often chastised for the mistakes of others so that we do not make the same mistakes. The idea with that ANY referee would step on a field and not care about their performance is ridiculous!

You are obviously a Big Shot referee that does games in a Bubble not a referee working the lower tier games, an assignor, or a club administrator. The idea that there aren't people being used that are bad, don't care, and even say they don't have to improve because they can't be replaced is laughable. And the reality is that the people that could actually provide the resources to fix it would rather just say "Ear Plugs!" so they can have cheap referees to pocket extra profits while scapegoating the assignors and referee associations for not being able to do more with what little they have to work with.

Reply Quote
Re: Referee Shortage-Solutions? [Re: LIRef77] #733407 02/20/20 11:08 AM
Larry Miller Offline
Chief Rocker
Back of THE NET
Chief Rocker
Back of THE NET
After reading all these folks bitching about the quality of referees, if I was in charge of the refs I would tell them to sit out this Spring season. No refs=no games. Maybe that will calm you folks down and give you time to reconsider your rudeness.

Reply Quote
Re: Referee Shortage-Solutions? [Re: LIRef77] #733408 02/20/20 11:13 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
you may have a valid and good idea...but games will ultimately happen with parent volunteers to referee.
Perhaps then the remaining people on the sidelines will think twice about yelling out anything negative towards the volunteer referees.

Reply Quote
Soccer Events

Re: Referee Shortage-Solutions? [Re: LIRef77] #733410 02/20/20 11:20 AM
Larry Miller Offline
Chief Rocker
Back of THE NET
Chief Rocker
Back of THE NET
STRIKE STRIKE STRIKE

Reply Quote
Re: Referee Shortage-Solutions? [Re: Anonymous] #733411 02/20/20 11:21 AM
Larry Miller Offline
Chief Rocker
Back of THE NET
Chief Rocker
Back of THE NET
you may have a valid and good idea...but games will ultimately happen with parent volunteers to referee.
Perhaps then the remaining people on the sidelines will think twice about yelling out anything negative towards the volunteer referees.

I'm not clear on the rules, but I think starting at a certain age the refs have to be certified...parents wont do the trick. Can someone comment on this?

Reply Quote
Re: Referee Shortage-Solutions? [Re: LIRef77] #733416 02/20/20 12:09 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
IDK but if we are thinking hypothetically if referees would strike....than obviously rules would have to be waved and or bent.
The show must go on right?

I don't think any teams or coaches would object to a parent volunteer to ref a game. or a volunteer to ref the first half and the other teams parent refs the 2nd half.

what would the referees union do? put up a big inflatable rat at a kids soccer game?

Reply Quote
Re: Referee Shortage-Solutions? [Re: Larry Miller] #733451 02/20/20 05:02 PM
L
LIRef77 Offline OP
Back of THE NET
OP Offline
Back of THE NET
L
Originally Posted by Larry Miller
After reading all these folks bitching about the quality of referees, if I was in charge of the refs I would tell them to sit out this Spring season. No refs=no games. Maybe that will calm you folks down and give you time to reconsider your rudeness.

Larry you make a good point, but that will never happen because of a few reasons. Most of the participants appreciate referees. It is the minority that attempts to ruin it for the rest of us. As for the immature and spineless anonymous trolls that post their ignorant childish remarks and contribute ZERO to this discussion (that are probably still being “Wet nursed” themselves) they don’t call the shots. They mostly get ignored or sanctioned at the soccer field. That is why I will not respond to their stupid nonsense on this forum as they try to stir the pot.

As for an actual “strike” what many many people here do not realize is that referees are such a diverse group of people, it would be as difficult to herd cats as it would be to get referees to agree to strike, just my opinion.

But the diversity of referees is so rich as far as ethnicity, socioeconomic standing and main profession. Getting all to agree on anything would be quite challenging, just my opinion.

As far as parent replacements for referees that do not show you are correct Larry, here’s an excerpt from the LIJSL Rulebook-other leagues also have similar rules-

Part 9. If the Referee Fails to Appear If a Referee should fail to appear for a U9-U12 scheduled match, the Adult Supervisors of the competing teams must agree upon a volunteer to substitute for the Referee. The substitute need not be a certified Referee. The substitute must officiate the complete match. If the U9-U12 teams do not agree on a volunteer referee both teams will be charged with a forfeit and the decision cannot be protested. The substitute Referee shall have those prerogatives granted to him/her by the ‘Laws of the Game’, as published by FIFA and amended by the LIJSL. Games played with a volunteer referee cannot be protested.

Of course these rules could be changed if they had trouble staffing referees for games because the youth soccer industrial complex must go on and generate revenue!

Reply Quote
Youth Soccer Events of Interest

Re: Referee Shortage-Solutions? [Re: Anonymous] #733456 02/20/20 05:50 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
......Go home, fire up Springsteen's Glory Days and relive them.

I'm still competitive, are you? (fyi, we both know you are not) You can keep shining your own sportsmanship awards if it makes you happy!!!!! quit your belly aching, you sound pathetic and weak....wimp.

lol. Ever broken a collarbone and finished the remaining 14 minutes of a game? Didn't think so.

Competitive.....uh yeah. I still play hockey in a league of 20 somethings I'm 46. Still about the best goalie out there.

Pathetic and weak. bwahahaha....Ok Neidermeyer. Come to the gym with me, you wont last 10 minutes, that's a guarantee.

Anywho...on refereeing it's the same in hockey as it is in soccer due to chuckleheads like meathead marinara here. Solutions are ZERO tolerance. 100% support from the leagues and orgs to penalize stiffly(I'm the large fines guy from earlier in the thread) any parent or coach who gets a red card.

Before Meathead here wants to try, in vain to shoot me down, I have been fielding calls from the head ref in the state to work the highest level games here on the Island over this coming weekend. Yeah, I'm still competitive at that too.

One benefit us hockey guys have over the soccer officials is the dumbasses don't have direct access to us. The glass and boards filters out a lot. Sadly chuckleheads can simply walk on the field or go after you after a game. Feel for my soccer official brothers and sisters. Keep up the good work guys. I've rarely seen a bad game from y'all and I've been on the coach's side and parents side for the last 8 years.

Reply Quote
Re: Referee Shortage-Solutions? [Re: Anonymous] #733477 02/21/20 09:20 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I'm still competitive, are you? (fyi, we both know you are not) You can keep shining your own sportsmanship awards if it makes you happy!!!!! quit your belly aching, you sound pathetic and weak....wimp.

lol. Ever broken a collarbone and finished the remaining 14 minutes of a game? Didn't think so.

Competitive.....uh yeah. I still play hockey in a league of 20 somethings I'm 46. Still about the best goalie out there.

Pathetic and weak. bwahahaha....Ok Neidermeyer. Come to the gym with me, you wont last 10 minutes, that's a guarantee.

Anywho...on refereeing it's the same in hockey as it is in soccer due to chuckleheads like meathead marinara here. Solutions are ZERO tolerance. 100% support from the leagues and orgs to penalize stiffly(I'm the large fines guy from earlier in the thread) any parent or coach who gets a red card.

Before Meathead here wants to try, in vain to shoot me down, I have been fielding calls from the head ref in the state to work the highest level games here on the Island over this coming weekend. Yeah, I'm still competitive at that too.

One benefit us hockey guys have over the soccer officials is the dumbasses don't have direct access to us. The glass and boards filters out a lot. Sadly chuckleheads can simply walk on the field or go after you after a game. Feel for my soccer official brothers and sisters. Keep up the good work guys. I've rarely seen a bad game from y'all and I've been on the coach's side and parents side for the last 8 years.

a broken collarbone? really? you are fkg kidding right? and you want a medal for standing around as the goalie on a hockey team? In a real sport, I have gotten the sh_t kicked out of me by people from other countries on a world stage, gotten a concussion and still win the match. I have been knocked out and still continued, I have had my knee popped out and cont. competing, fingers dislocated and put back in place and continued....and you whine about a p_ssy collarbone standing around as a fkg goalie?

Reply Quote
Re: Referee Shortage-Solutions? [Re: Anonymous] #733487 02/21/20 12:59 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

a broken collarbone? really? you are fkg kidding right? and you want a medal for standing around as the goalie on a hockey team? In a real sport, I have gotten the sh_t kicked out of me by people from other countries on a world stage, gotten a concussion and still win the match. I have been knocked out and still continued, I have had my knee popped out and cont. competing, fingers dislocated and put back in place and continued....and you whine about a p_ssy collarbone standing around as a fkg goalie?

'standing around as a goalie'.

I'll pay you $1000 to survive 2hrs as a goalie in an NHL practice. I've done it. Best athlete on my college team tried goalie 1x. Handed me my gear back and said I'm never doing that again, hardest thing I've ever done.

Do yourself a favor and hit youtube on other athletes trying to be a hockey goalie. Or even play hockey, hint: I have played every position. It doesn't go well. Best athletes in the world. Sorry pal.

go roid rage elsewhere.

Reply Quote
Re: Referee Shortage-Solutions? [Re: Anonymous] #733489 02/21/20 02:43 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I have one question for you. What is your suggested solution to the shortage of referees? All I see posted from you is your self proclaimed toughness but nothing on the fix to a very real problem.

Reply Quote
Re: Referee Shortage-Solutions? [Re: Anonymous] #733490 02/21/20 02:50 PM
Larry Miller Offline
Chief Rocker
Back of THE NET
Chief Rocker
Back of THE NET

I have one question for you. What is your suggested solution to the shortage of referees? All I see posted from you is your self proclaimed toughness but nothing on the fix to a very real problem.

I think the problem as you call it was addressed numerous times...maybe you need to read all that has been written. Clearly there are issues and they were brought up. As for me, I think the refs should sit out for a season until (1) parents understand that refs are not indentured servants, and (2) that ENY who oversees the refs change their ways, also (3) make it more affordable by slicing the upfront investment to be come a ref.

I know that LI Ref does not agree with my draconian "strike" idea, but just miss one season or even 2 or 3 weeks with a no refs, which means no games should be a religious experience for all involved.

Reply Quote
Re: Referee Shortage-Solutions? [Re: LIRef77] #733493 02/21/20 04:43 PM
L
LIRef77 Offline OP
Back of THE NET
OP Offline
Back of THE NET
L
It’s not that I disagree with “striking” it’s that I don’t think it would be that effective and successful as there would not be 100% participation and the effort would not be united as there are many many referees that really need the money.
Referees are an independent type of group and unanimity would be non existent. Just my opinion.

Reply Quote
Upcoming Soccer Happenings

Re: Referee Shortage-Solutions? [Re: LIRef77] #733495 02/21/20 04:48 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It’s not that I disagree with “striking” it’s that I don’t think it would be that effective and successful as there would not be 100% participation and the effort would not be united as there are many many referees that really need the money.
Referees are an independent type of group and unanimity would be non existent. Just my opinion.

Is there a referees union?

Reply Quote
Re: Referee Shortage-Solutions? [Re: Anonymous] #733504 02/21/20 08:25 PM
L
LIRef77 Offline OP
Back of THE NET
OP Offline
Back of THE NET
L

Is there a referees union?

Not below the professional ranks. We are considered independent contractors and are not represented by a collective bargaining unit. It could prove difficult to organize a union if there was any interest in doing so.

Reply Quote
Re: Referee Shortage-Solutions? [Re: LIRef77] #733507 02/21/20 10:06 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I am well in agreement with Larry's suggestion. Although I would say do it for a weekend... perhaps two and then lets see how behavior changes. When no referees show up to any games perhaps that will get the point across that enough is enough. Stop acting like childlish brats and simply enjoy the game.... win or lose!!!

Reply Quote
Re: Referee Shortage-Solutions? [Re: LIRef77] #733509 02/22/20 03:55 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I was reffing a game once in northshore and I had a pal on the line, well we were getting so much Abuse from these two particular guys that we were concerned for our safety. Now after the game I said to my friend let's deal with this as if we were in a parking lot in Home Depot. So as were walking to our car these two ...holes started in with the abuse. Well me and my friend both from Europe originally, adressed the situation the way we would in every day life, and rather than running and cowering to our car, I said come on then lets ....ing go I'll put you in the ....ing gutter you pair of ....ing pricks, and I walked up to one of them street style and offered him the first punch, oh it was brilliant, should of seen his face like a baby, they didn't say a word the look of shock on there cowardly faces were priceless, so f... You parents and coaches remember we are men too with pride, I wish there were more like us,then they might think about opening there fat ugly mouths.

Reply Quote
Re: Referee Shortage-Solutions? [Re: Anonymous] #733515 02/22/20 06:31 PM
L
LIRef77 Offline OP
Back of THE NET
OP Offline
Back of THE NET
L
I was reffing a game once in northshore and I had a pal on the line, well we were getting so much Abuse from these two particular guys that we were concerned for our safety. Now after the game I said to my friend let's deal with this as if we were in a parking lot in Home Depot. So as were walking to our car these two ...holes started in with the abuse. Well me and my friend both from Europe originally, adressed the situation the way we would in every day life, and rather than running and cowering to our car, I said come on then lets ....ing go I'll put you in the ....ing gutter you pair of ....ing pricks, and I walked up to one of them street style and offered him the first punch, oh it was brilliant, should of seen his face like a baby, they didn't say a word the look of shock on there cowardly faces were priceless, so f... You parents and coaches remember we are men too with pride, I wish there were more like us,then they might think about opening there fat ugly mouths.

This could have ended badly if they were two goons instead of paper tigers. The reason it continued after the game is because they paid no price for their misbehavior during the game. They thought you were too scared to take action during the game so they kept it up during a time where it can be dangerous for both parties.

If you had yellow carded their Coach or if that league did not allow it you could have warned the Coach that they would be expelled from the game and it’s environs, the threatening behavior after the game would not have happened.

When bully loudmouths get expelled it ends and they walk away embarrassed and their player children are equally embarrassed. When bullies berate us during the entirety of the game with no sanctions it can escalate worse after the game. If either of you had assaulted them even in self defense all the headline in the newspaper would have said was “Referees Assault Parents at Game” and you would have some serious explaining to do to the police, the league and others. Why would you allow them to carry on throughout the entire game? We need to be better than this.

Reply Quote
Junior Soccer Advertisements

Re: Referee Shortage-Solutions? [Re: LIRef77] #733520 02/23/20 09:31 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

This could have ended badly if they were two goons instead of paper tigers. The reason it continued after the game is because they paid no price for their misbehavior during the game. They thought you were too scared to take action during the game so they kept it up during a time where it can be dangerous for both parties.

If you had yellow carded their Coach or if that league did not allow it you could have warned the Coach that they would be expelled from the game and it’s environs, the threatening behavior after the game would not have happened.

When bully loudmouths get expelled it ends and they walk away embarrassed and their player children are equally embarrassed. When bullies berate us during the entirety of the game with no sanctions it can escalate worse after the game. If either of you had assaulted them even in self defense all the headline in the newspaper would have said was “Referees Assault Parents at Game” and you would have some serious explaining to do to the police, the league and others. Why would you allow them to carry on throughout the entire game? We need to be better than this.

This! There are procedures and protections in place that would prevent a ref from taking abuse the entire game. Why don't more refs use it? Either the abuse isn't as bad as they later make it out to be, or they're too timid to do what needs to be done. Because refs don't take care of business when they should, that just emboldens the fans. There's a youtube video of a HS game where one parent kept berating the refs. The refs couldn't identify who was the actual culprit, so they ended up ejecting the entire fan base from that school.

Reply Quote
Re: Referee Shortage-Solutions? [Re: LIRef77] #733521 02/23/20 11:50 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Or just too lazy to do the paperwork. Or because places label the refs that deal with it the ref that causes problems.

Reply Quote
Re: Referee Shortage-Solutions? [Re: Anonymous] #733526 02/23/20 05:41 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Or just too lazy to do the paperwork. Or because places label the refs that deal with it the ref that causes problems.

And if the ref doesn't want to handle it, then they shouldn't complain about the consequences. "It hurts when I hit my head with a hammer." So stop hitting yourself with the hammer.

Reply Quote
Re: Referee Shortage-Solutions? [Re: Anonymous] #733551 02/24/20 01:32 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

good for you....this is usually the perfect way to handle bullys in school as well.
Once you show you have PRIDE and willing to fight for it...Bullys will RESPECT you and leave you alone....more than likely they will move to another weaker target.

Reply Quote
Re: Referee Shortage-Solutions? [Re: Anonymous] #733559 02/24/20 03:52 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

good for you....this is usually the perfect way to handle bullys in school as well.
Once you show you have PRIDE and willing to fight for it...Bullys will RESPECT you and leave you alone....more than likely they will move to another weaker target.

Bullies are Tough who will back off when confronted. So I guess they really are not tough at ALL

Reply Quote
Page 13 of 16 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 16
Quick Reply

Options HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled

Nobody Does It Better
Tournaments
Voorhees Mem. Classic 5/22
Gettysburg Blue Gray 5/23
Columbia Invit. Mem. Day 5/23
EDP Pocono Mem. 5/23
Commack Memorial Day 5/23