Camps and Clinics
Leagues
Tournaments
Private Training
Happy Feet
Birthday Parties
Field Rental
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Rafal Bogusz, Larry Miller), 104 guests, and 12 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

BOTN en Espaol
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Page 4 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 12
Re: Referee Shortage-Solutions? [Re: Anonymous] #730643 12/06/19 03:48 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by LIRef77
I have to agree the technology needs to be supercharged when it comes to recertifying and training overall, especially if we want to reach a big target “audience’” meaning millennials. That demographic is the biggest group now that they outnumber baby boomers and my boomer generation is aging out and needs a lot of new blood. They are the future.

You do now realize the ENY has taken over the certification and recertification process. LISRA has nothing to do with this anymore with the exception of finding a venue. Any complaints should be directed square at ENY now.

In reading all this BS. I think I have discovered the problem. As we know there are experienced referees that have been doing this a long time (and generally considered "good" and other new (or recently certified referees).

The problem with the new referees is not there inexperience but the manner in which they are being tested. Your basic test to become a referee is a fkg multiple choice test? (they use multiple choice to test monkeys and apes on there level of intelligence, look it up). We can easily design a referees test so that a monkey can pass it and be certified. Can you imagine having curious george showing up with a florescent shirt, whistle and cards? We can most certainly have this (in many cases we have this already).

Multiple Choice tests are only an indication of memory retention and but does not show any proof for testing the Aptitude of the person taking the test. How do we test the Aptitude of the person applying to become a certified Referee?

The only way is to get out on the field and actually do it. You can pass a bartending class but that sure as hell doesn't make you a good bartender. You have to apply your craft and work at it... like almost any job.

Reply Quote
Junior Soccer Advertisements

Re: Referee Shortage-Solutions? [Re: Anonymous] #730645 12/06/19 04:11 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have to agree the technology needs to be supercharged when it comes to recertifying and training overall, especially if we want to reach a big target “audience’” meaning millennials. That demographic is the biggest group now that they outnumber baby boomers and my boomer generation is aging out and needs a lot of new blood. They are the future.

You do now realize the ENY has taken over the certification and recertification process. LISRA has nothing to do with this anymore with the exception of finding a venue. Any complaints should be directed square at ENY now.

In reading all this BS. I think I have discovered the problem. As we know there are experienced referees that have been doing this a long time (and generally considered "good" and other new (or recently certified referees).

The problem with the new referees is not there inexperience but the manner in which they are being tested. Your basic test to become a referee is a fkg multiple choice test? (they use multiple choice to test monkeys and apes on there level of intelligence, look it up). We can easily design a referees test so that a monkey can pass it and be certified. Can you imagine having curious george showing up with a florescent shirt, whistle and cards? We can most certainly have this (in many cases we have this already).

Multiple Choice tests are only an indication of memory retention and but does not show any proof for testing the Aptitude of the person taking the test. How do we test the Aptitude of the person applying to become a certified Referee?

So you want to make it harder for people to pass the referee test while we are in the middle of a referee shortage?

Reply Quote
Re: Referee Shortage-Solutions? [Re: Anonymous] #730646 12/06/19 05:06 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You do have a point here and it's worth mentioning the inexperienced refs aren't usually the teens because they also play and know how to see a foul or an offside coming. There are a lot of older, middle aged new refs who pass the written test and get thrown in a bit deeper then they should, after AR'ing only a few times. They haven't a clue from day 1. Unfortunately there are too many games and not enough on the job training (any in fact) for the system to work perfectly and in reality, none it truly matters so much that it's worth getting tied up over, unless you are worried about injuries. It is a contact sport. Depends if you have a girl or a boy, I suppose but at least with girls it all happens in slow motion, so they are easier to ref, even if the parents are insane. 'Stop pu-ushing, is she allowed to push her?' Perhaps there should be an 'Aptitude' test for the players, too. Anything under a certain level should be reffed by the parents, coaches, or self reffed (kids are very fair when they scrimmage) and then there are enough experienced refs to cover the elite games that do qualify. Having a three man system to run a D3 U12 game is beyond ridiculous and it is vanity to the extreme that we all think it matters. This is all rec ball, so none of it is particularly important and the parents should be glad to have a yellow blob out there to give them a focal point for all that angst. I'd say it's an unneeded luxury.

Reply Quote
Re: Referee Shortage-Solutions? [Re: LIRef77] #730647 12/06/19 05:33 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Its the perfect storm-
The next generation wants to pay for everything yet do nothing
Ref abuse is at an all time high
Time and cost of entry for new refs is high and time consuming for young kids
Recertification is torturous, time consuming, antiquated and getting WORSE
Online support is almost zero and that's where the next generation lives

If I can go to college online we should be able to figure this out! You have a better chance of me watching training videos at home then driving out to a "rap session"

As far as ENY taking over for LISRA. I still waited on line for an hour last year out in dix hills. New people same broken process

Reply Quote
Re: Referee Shortage-Solutions? [Re: Anonymous] #730648 12/06/19 05:48 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Next you will suggest a BA degree

Reply Quote
Soccer Events

Re: Referee Shortage-Solutions? [Re: Anonymous] #730680 12/08/19 04:29 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Its the perfect storm-
The next generation wants to pay for everything yet do nothing
Ref abuse is at an all time high
Time and cost of entry for new refs is high and time consuming for young kids
Recertification is torturous, time consuming, antiquated and getting WORSE
Online support is almost zero and that's where the next generation lives

If I can go to college online we should be able to figure this out! You have a better chance of me watching training videos at home then driving out to a "rap session"

As far as ENY taking over for LISRA. I still waited on line for an hour last year out in dix hills. New people same broken process

You are aware the recertification process is much different than years before. Now you have to go to a 4 hour training class as well as pass the online test and Safesport. So now you'll probably complain that this is too much for you as well. I see you just want someone to mail your badge without doing any of the requirements. You dont get it do you??

Reply Quote
Re: Referee Shortage-Solutions? [Re: LIRef77] #730698 12/09/19 06:16 AM
L
LIRef77 Offline OP
Back of THE NET
OP Offline
Back of THE NET
L
Well folks as usual as it is on many of these boards we get a little off the subject and it specificity and deteriorate in to a pointless discussion that gets us nowhere.

The subject is Referee Shortage-Solutions. While there are exceptions, most posters are discussing who to blame for this problem and maybe what they offer why there is a shortage.

Don’t tell me it’s all the fault of LISRA, ENY, Old Referees, Young Referees, Bad Referees, Lazy Referees and just tell me what positive things we can do to attract more people to refereeing

Let’s discuss some real solutions. How about we come up with comprehensive solutions based on why we got here. I would start with the following-

1-Require clubs to have a certain number of their Coaches become certified Coaches and use a ratio so that every Club large or small complies equally. For example require a 1/5 ratio of referees for every team that club has in all age groups. For example if a Club had 10 total teams, 2 Coaches would have to be certified as Referees and required to work a minimum number of games.

2- Require parents that want to attend their children’s games complete online training regarding the Laws of the Game so that they have a basic understanding of the game and can actually enjoy it more based on the acquired knowledge. Require this after registration so that their online training can be completed by the start of the season.

3- Require all parents to agree to comply with policies that many clubs have put in place but not enforced and if they violate these behavioral protocols they will not be allowed to attend games until they agree to comply with rules already in place.

4- Pay referees more money. There is more and more money being spent on Coaches, Academies, Trainers, Schools, Venues, Equipment, Uniforms, Hotels, Travel Arrangements, Special Camps, Winter Leagues, Tournaments, etc. What referees get paid is a tiny amount of the pie and less than a pair of decent soccer cleats.

5- Do not allow 3 referee games for players younger than U14 unless it is a tournament that has sufficient referees for all games. Using 3 referees for U9-U13 is a joke because at these ages most players are not that fast and a single referee can be able to call offside and use flagpersons from the ranks of the parents. I like working with parents because it gives me an a opportunity to establish a direct rapport with them and I see that as an opportunity to be an “Ambassador” of the game so to speak. Not using a 3 referee system for younger players and small sided fields frees up referees for other games that really need them.

6- Offer elective courses for referees to help them develop techniques for dealing with the challenging environments soccer fields can be today and enhance their knowledge of all the psycho-social issues affecting the behavior at sporting events and competitions.

7-Develop more online instructional/study materials for referees and certify more assessors that can analyze/evaluate referees on an annual basis so that referees are constantly being challenged to improve their knowledge of the Laws of the Game.

8-Have each club develop a youth referee program for players and youth that may be interested in making some money and develop referees in the program so that kids that show an interest can move on to to highest levels of the game as referees.

10-Have the professional leagues like MLS and USL, etc assist with youth referee programs.

Maybe this is just a start?

Reply Quote
Re: Referee Shortage-Solutions? [Re: LIRef77] #730708 12/09/19 08:45 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
LIRef, you make some very valid points in your argument. I definitely like the idea of #1, 3, and 5 as a start. Unfortunately with #1 you can't force anyone to become a referee and those that do will most likely never set foot on the field. I know many coaches take the referee class simply to get a grasp on the LOTG but thats all. There's never any follow up with regards to new directives the USSF puts out so that basic knowledge is for the most part useless when you get down to the nitty gritty. Most referees today are simply "weekend warriors". They go out over the weekend and ref some games but take no interest in anything else. Many years ago there used to be advanced referee clinics where ENY brought in some of the best people in the country and it was still poorly attended. Number 3 and 5 I feel are where it needs to start and then once you have that under control work to implement some of the others. Again I don't think there is a defined solution to this but what I do know is that this shortage will only get worse before it gets better.

Reply Quote
Re: Referee Shortage-Solutions? [Re: LIRef77] #730723 12/09/19 11:32 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Want more refs? Charge nothing, or very little, upfront to get a new referee kitted up and through his first registration and clinics.

Reply Quote
Youth Soccer Events of Interest

Re: Referee Shortage-Solutions? [Re: LIRef77] #730734 12/09/19 01:07 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
would love to hear from anyone that sat through the first recertification classes? Helpful? learn anything? did they cover off all the recent LOTG in detail?

Reply Quote
Re: Referee Shortage-Solutions? [Re: LIRef77] #730738 12/09/19 01:48 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Want more refs? Charge nothing, or very little, upfront to get a new referee kitted up and through his first registration and clinics.

HAHAHAHAHA!!! That's funny... and have ENY lose out on $$$. Good luck with that.

Reply Quote
Re: Referee Shortage-Solutions? [Re: Anonymous] #730759 12/09/19 06:32 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

HAHAHAHAHA!!! That's funny... and have ENY lose out on $$$. Good luck with that.

Charge the clubs more money to cover the extra cost.

Reply Quote
Re: Referee Shortage-Solutions? [Re: Anonymous] #730760 12/09/19 06:47 PM
Larry Miller Online
Chief Rocker
Back of THE NET
Chief Rocker
Back of THE NET

Who should charge the clubs, and since there are multiple leagues, academies, for profit, not for profit what entity do you suggest that covers all of these entities, the USSF?

Reply Quote
Re: Referee Shortage-Solutions? [Re: Larry Miller] #730761 12/09/19 07:16 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Larry Miller

Who should charge the clubs, and since there are multiple leagues, academies, for profit, not for profit what entity do you suggest that covers all of these entities, the USSF?

In our case, every team that is entered in a LISRA assigned league should be charged an extra $X amount of money once per season to cover the costs for new referees to LISRA.

Reply Quote
Re: Referee Shortage-Solutions? [Re: LIRef77] #730779 12/10/19 09:10 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Anyone have any feedback on the mandatory class???

Reply Quote
Upcoming Soccer Happenings

Re: Referee Shortage-Solutions? [Re: Anonymous] #730781 12/10/19 09:28 AM
L
LIRef77 Offline OP
Back of THE NET
OP Offline
Back of THE NET
L

In our case, every team that is entered in a LISRA assigned league should be charged an extra $X amount of money once per season to cover the costs for new referees to LISRA.

How many times can I say it? LISRA does NOT assign games! USSF assignors assign games. Why should clubs pay for referee training? They already pay for the referees to work games.

Trainers and Coaches pay for their own training and licensing. Referees can pay for their own training, if someone drops out because they do not want to attend a class then so be it, we don’t need people that want the easy way out.

People seem to forget that when something is FREE it just means someone else is paying for it. I want new referees to have skin in the game and have to want to do it not people that want to do it because it is free! We already lose many referees that pay and take the class and then drop out. Having a “free” class will only attract more people that will indeed drop out. Referees get compensated for doing a job they can afford to pay for their own training.

Reply Quote
Re: Referee Shortage-Solutions? [Re: LIRef77] #730784 12/10/19 10:15 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I partially agree. But since LI is having a problem with getting referees (and later keeping them). I think the free class is a good way to attract possible good referees at the base level. As they cont. with more and more experience and show an aptitude for the job, perhaps they should definitely pay for their own higher training and certification as they progress.

Reply Quote
Re: Referee Shortage-Solutions? [Re: Anonymous] #730789 12/10/19 11:08 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You want to attract new refs? Don't shoot me down or say something mean, just trying to throw stuff at the wall and see if any of it sticks. How about we try and build in a HS community service component? Make it mandatory that all applicants have played club or school ball and you'll have strong candidates - most kids have to do ten hours of service a year - make refereeing a qualified community service and you'll attract a new audience, maybe you keep 20% but it's more than you have right now, especially when the best teen refs disappear off to college just as they start to get good. Keep filling the void with the next season's HS players, so there's always a supply. You are not taking anything away from the soup kitchens, most kids fake their community service anyway. I am sure the guidance counsellors would be happy to have a new suggestion that might enthuse the least likely kids. I'd say refereeing is as valid as so many things they do and if not, maybe they can find a way to give back through reffing...maybe someone can kick this ball along and make it a better idea? As a bonus, it will also make the HS players more invested and aware for their own games, might have an add-on of making them more tolerant of refs and keeping their parents quiet. Help me out here, I think this might have legs?

Reply Quote
Re: Referee Shortage-Solutions? [Re: LIRef77] #730793 12/10/19 12:31 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
so you are asking dozens and dozens of people to change because your skin is thin? is it not easier for you to "toughen up" and not let any heckling get to you?

remember the rhyme from elementary school: "sticks and stones may break my bones, but names will never hurt me"

Reply Quote
Re: Referee Shortage-Solutions? [Re: LIRef77] #730794 12/10/19 12:38 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

How many times can I say it? LISRA does NOT assign games! USSF assignors assign games. Why should clubs pay for referee training? They already pay for the referees to work games.

Trainers and Coaches pay for their own training and licensing. Referees can pay for their own training, if someone drops out because they do not want to attend a class then so be it, we don’t need people that want the easy way out.

People seem to forget that when something is FREE it just means someone else is paying for it. I want new referees to have skin in the game and have to want to do it not people that want to do it because it is free! We already lose many referees that pay and take the class and then drop out. Having a “free” class will only attract more people that will indeed drop out. Referees get compensated for doing a job they can afford to pay for their own training.

By LISRA assigned I meant that LISRA referees are the ones being assigned. And the reason I bring it up as part of LISRA is because the union dues go to them and the payments for the uniforms and the courses had been running through them.

And even if the majority of potential new refs that take advantage of the free stuff I'm suggesting, we would still have more referees than what we have now. And that is the point of this exercise, to figure out how to get more referees into the system.

Reply Quote
Junior Soccer Advertisements

Re: Referee Shortage-Solutions? [Re: Anonymous] #730803 12/10/19 02:19 PM
L
LIRef77 Offline OP
Back of THE NET
OP Offline
Back of THE NET
L

You want to attract new refs? Don't shoot me down or say something mean, just trying to throw stuff at the wall and see if any of it sticks. How about we try and build in a HS community service component? Make it mandatory that all applicants have played club or school ball and you'll have strong candidates - most kids have to do ten hours of service a year - make refereeing a qualified community service and you'll attract a new audience, maybe you keep 20% but it's more than you have right now, especially when the best teen refs disappear off to college just as they start to get good. Keep filling the void with the next season's HS players, so there's always a supply. You are not taking anything away from the soup kitchens, most kids fake their community service anyway. I am sure the guidance counsellors would be happy to have a new suggestion that might enthuse the least likely kids. I'd say refereeing is as valid as so many things they do and if not, maybe they can find a way to give back through reffing...maybe someone can kick this ball along and make it a better idea? As a bonus, it will also make the HS players more invested and aware for their own games, might have an add-on of making them more tolerant of refs and keeping their parents quiet. Help me out here, I think this might have legs?

Great idea, I’m all for getting good referees from players’ ranks!

Again the subsequent post about sticks and stones doesn’t work. If you ask most young players they don’t want to deal with the unsociable behavior at games. Some people never get it they think it’s about thin skin???? Try it first pal then talk about thin skin. Again, for the intellectually challenged, WHAT IS YOUR SOLUTION to the problem?

And now as far as the free training and free uniforms for referees this is not a charitable deal.Again free only means someone else pays for something! The money does not come out of thin air. Even if an organization pays for uniforms or classes again their members dues are paying for it because an instructor needs to get paid and a uniform manufacturer needs to get paid. There are referee associations like LISRA that have assisted some young referees that needed financial help but most people that want to become referees can afford it and should see it as an investment that will quickly show a return on investment. Clubs should be focused on helping players with uniforms that cannot afford it because players do not get paid and referees do!! When some one that can afford something is given something for free they place less value on it and appreciate it less. The financial commitment required is NOT the reason we have a shortage of referees. However if you pay them more for games that may attract more talent but at least they are earning the money not getting it for nothing!

Reply Quote
Re: Referee Shortage-Solutions? [Re: LIRef77] #730807 12/10/19 04:24 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Again the subsequent post about sticks and stones doesn’t work. If you ask most young players they don’t want to deal with the unsociable behavior at games. Some people never get it they think it’s about thin skin???? Try it first pal then talk about thin skin. Again, for the intellectually challenged, WHAT IS YOUR SOLUTION to the problem?

And now as far as the free training and free uniforms for referees this is not a charitable deal.Again free only means someone else pays for something! The money does not come out of thin air. Even if an organization pays for uniforms or classes again their members dues are paying for it because an instructor needs to get paid and a uniform manufacturer needs to get paid. There are referee associations like LISRA that have assisted some young referees that needed financial help but most people that want to become referees can afford it and should see it as an investment that will quickly show a return on investment. Clubs should be focused on helping players with uniforms that cannot afford it because players do not get paid and referees do!! When some one that can afford something is given something for free they place less value on it and appreciate it less. The financial commitment required is NOT the reason we have a shortage of referees. However if you pay them more for games that may attract more talent but at least they are earning the money not getting it for nothing!

Sounds like you have the solution all figured out...All i'm saying is that all referees should be advised that heckling can and will occur (maybe warranted or unwarranted)...in any event, as professionals you are required to tune out any and all negativity and do the best job you can....in other words having thicker skin can't hurt.

Reply Quote
Re: Referee Shortage-Solutions? [Re: LIRef77] #730811 12/10/19 05:37 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

In the end, the players are paying for everything. And that is how it should be. The point is to lower the hurdles for new refs to come into the system, and lowering or eliminating upfront costs for new referees will accomplish that.

Reply Quote
Re: Referee Shortage-Solutions? [Re: LIRef77] #730821 12/10/19 10:07 PM
L
LIRef77 Offline OP
Back of THE NET
OP Offline
Back of THE NET
L
You really don’t get it, please postulate for us how and why making it free to become a referee will increase the number of referees that we already train and cannot hold on to.

I can argue this, if the ones that pay for the training every year drop out before they even make the modest cost they have incurred back how in the world will people that pay nothing want to stick with it when it gets challenging or they figure out that it’s not for them?

As for the poster that continues to say that referees have thin skin, it has gone way beyond that including assaults. This is not about thin skinned people this is about trying to eliminate a negative environment that is not mentally healthy for the CHILDREN to see or hear. This is about children having fun not having them watch grown people argue and fight with each other and threaten people.

Us referees have all been told to do our best to ignore negative comments from fans. We’ve been trained in how to handle people don’t patronize and trivialize this atmosphere as if it is the Referees fault for being too sensitive. So again, any constructive solutions? Let’s assume that thin skin is a good trait and so is being able to run right? Next!

Reply Quote
Re: Referee Shortage-Solutions? [Re: LIRef77] #730823 12/10/19 11:00 PM
Larry Miller Online
Chief Rocker
Back of THE NET
Chief Rocker
Back of THE NET
LIRef77, if you read through a myriad of threads one thing seems to always come up and the word FREE. Apparently, it is the postion of many that youth soccer should be free, and it is. It's free if you take you kid and some of his friends to any grass field and let them play.

What is surprising to me is how too many feel that trainers, clubs, referees, etc for youth soccer should be free.

I think you put it well in a previous post of yours you wisely stated that if it free someone had to pay for it. I wonder if these folks calling for free this and free that would work at their jobs fo free?

Reply Quote
Page 4 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 12
Quick Reply

Options HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled

Nobody Does It Better
Tournaments
SUSA Premier Invit.
Eastern Boys Indoor 2/1
Eastern Girls Indoor 2/8
Ramapo Indoor 2/8
Generation Adidas Cup 2/15