Forum Search
Latest Posts
So, When Do You Think the Games Will Start Up Again?
by Anonymous - 07/12/20 07:04 AM
B2010:U10 Fall 2019/Spring 2020
by Anonymous - 07/12/20 12:09 AM
*VERY IMPORTANT MESSAGE* ABOUT UST AND DIX HILLS SC
by Anonymous - 07/11/20 11:52 PM
New York Surf Girls 2007 tryout
by Anonymous - 07/11/20 11:35 PM
New York Surf Girls 09 and 10
by NY Surf - 07/11/20 09:08 PM
Sponsors

Girls Academy League
Girls Academy League
Development Player League
DPL Scores & Standings
WYSL Scores & Standings
Spring '20 Scores & Standings
ENY State Cups 2019-2020
Challenge Cup
NY State Cup
Random Photos
Male Purple Finch
BOTN en Espańol
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
Re: Recommendations welcome: how to deal with an incompetent HS coach
Anonymous #727834 10/10/19 01:43 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have always been amazed at how well some refs can hear at a game but their vision is so poor. My favorite are the ones who choose to engage parents during a game. I also find it interesting when refs preach that parents don’t understand the sport enough to understand the rules. The truth is parents know far more about the sport than ever before, we are a different generation, we played soccer growing up. The reality is many refs know the rules but don’t understand the sport.

Like Reply Quote
Junior Soccer Advertisements

Re: Recommendations welcome: how to deal with an incompetent HS coach
lisoccer1 #727837 10/10/19 02:34 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Two good points. I agree there are HS refs who are in a class of their own and don't get the game itself. I met a nice gentleman a couple of years back who, on turning 70 thought it would be fun to get some exercise, got a ref license and started doing HS almost immediately, despite his only experience of the game having been to watch his grandkid play on a third tier LIJ team. That's scary, especially when he told me how he loves to dish out cards. However, I still wouldn't heckle him if he made a call that was all rules-no sport because it's not me playing and it's just plain rude. There aren't that many top refs available at 4pm on a weekday and for $100, to drive to and from the game, plus give up two plus hours on the field and get abused from three sides ... it's not that well paid.

Yes, parents and players do know a lot more about the sport now but not always as much as they think. I still hear even Lee Dixon and Graeme Le Saux calling it wrong on Saturdays, there are nuances to interpreting the rules a lot of us don't know, especially those really loud sideline parents at HS games. Offside especially (how can he be off, it was only his head?). Then when they do see one and scream 'offsides, offsides', oy vey. Ask the players on any HS team to take a ref test, there are plenty on line and see how many pass. Or the coaches and then the parents. Fewer than ten per cent will pass. Here's another observation, you can see it on the board here, the best written arguments are often the most polite too. I'll bet these people don't heckle, even if they don't love a call. Guessing the ones with multiple punctuation marks are a bit louder? Personally, I would rather see a 'leave the refs alone, heckle the coaches' day because these dudes get paid a lot more than the refs do and make way, way more mistakes.

How about 'Come on coach, are you kidding me? Why did you not let him play number 8, he was wide open? Come on coach, why did the keeper punt and lose possession when he had three short passing options?' Much more fun and what this thread was all about. Heckle the coaches.

Like Reply Quote
Re: Recommendations welcome: how to deal with an incompetent HS coach
Anonymous #727857 10/11/19 08:47 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Two good points. I agree there are HS refs who are in a class of their own and don't get the game itself. I met a nice gentleman a couple of years back who, on turning 70 thought it would be fun to get some exercise, got a ref license and started doing HS almost immediately, despite his only experience of the game having been to watch his grandkid play on a third tier LIJ team. That's scary, especially when he told me how he loves to dish out cards. However, I still wouldn't heckle him if he made a call that was all rules-no sport because it's not me playing and it's just plain rude. There aren't that many top refs available at 4pm on a weekday and for $100, to drive to and from the game, plus give up two plus hours on the field and get abused from three sides ... it's not that well paid.

Yes, parents and players do know a lot more about the sport now but not always as much as they think. I still hear even Lee Dixon and Graeme Le Saux calling it wrong on Saturdays, there are nuances to interpreting the rules a lot of us don't know, especially those really loud sideline parents at HS games. Offside especially (how can he be off, it was only his head?). Then when they do see one and scream 'offsides, offsides', oy vey. Ask the players on any HS team to take a ref test, there are plenty on line and see how many pass. Or the coaches and then the parents. Fewer than ten per cent will pass. Here's another observation, you can see it on the board here, the best written arguments are often the most polite too. I'll bet these people don't heckle, even if they don't love a call. Guessing the ones with multiple punctuation marks are a bit louder? Personally, I would rather see a 'leave the refs alone, heckle the coaches' day because these dudes get paid a lot more than the refs do and make way, way more mistakes.

How about 'Come on coach, are you kidding me? Why did you not let him play number 8, he was wide open? Come on coach, why did the keeper punt and lose possession when he had three short passing options?' Much more fun and what this thread was all about. Heckle the coaches.


How are you coming up with your percentages? are you pulling them out of your _ss?

I think the HS kids will pass any referee test you put in front of them...These kids have been playing club ball for 10+ years already (a lot longer than the old man whos only experience with soccer is watching the grand kid play)....These kids have played in enough games/tournaments for 10+ years too know the good refs from the bad ones.

Bottom Line....There is a rule book to follow. Kicking & pushing with both arms from behind/flying elbows are fouls all day 24/7 and 2x on sunday....Refs just do a good job...you are getting paid for this...If you are being heckled...suck it up butter cup (aka dont be a p_ssy)...just let it go and call the game fair and square, use the cards in your pocket and above all else...PROTECT THE PLAYERS ON BOTH TEAMS!!!!!

Like Reply Quote
Re: Recommendations welcome: how to deal with an incompetent HS coach
lisoccer1 #728297 10/17/19 02:12 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Ref Problems:

Heckling - Parents heckle when NOTHING is EVER called. We do not want our girls to get hurt.

Cards - If the game gets so bad that the ref is handing out cards in a HS game - the Ref is NOT controlling the game.

Time - HS games should be played after 6 so we can get good quality refs. It's a part time job. Let JV play early and refs learn, then night games so the ref pool is bigger.

Change - Change Refs, not fair to have the same ref follow a team.

Games - We all know who the rival games, power games are. Section XI must do a better job of monitoring better quality refs for those games.

Coach Problems:

Coaches - History, Math, Science teachers as HS Varsity coaches. Just like students don't know everything there is to know about their subjects, these coaches don't know soccer to the depth they should. The Narcissist coaches need to ask for help just like their students go for extra help.

Coaches - You can have the most talented team however they will not get past playoffs because they are being out coached and will lose every time.

Coaches - Don't know/recognize the talent they have and play them to their potential.

Coaches - make crazy rules and penalize team for missed practices for legitimate reasons. These are not adults getting rides themselves nor making all doctor plans, or family emergencies etc. It's not habitual problems - ease up. If it is a problem maybe the student needs help you no nothing about....

Players/Parents

Players have been trained at this level by more knowledgeable soccer coaches. Parents know this and have no faith in their Science teacher. Players are being played out of their positions because this is not professional nor private schools where you have many to chose from. They need to work together.

Parents - Relax and try to enjoy Sally playing with her friends and for her school.


And so on and so forth......

Like Reply Quote
Re: Recommendations welcome: how to deal with an incompetent HS coach
lisoccer1 #728335 10/18/19 07:58 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
How to deal with incompetent HS coaches?

First, realize that not all HS coaches are incompetent. Many are club coaches who know the game but have to manage whomever shows up for tryouts. If they're lucky they have some solid club players, some travel-level players and the rest great athletes/multi sport kids. The unlucky ones have less to work with. They have little time to whip teams into physical shape for a grueling season (how many players show up late August out of shape?) and little time to provide quality training in between games.

But, let's say yours is incompetent. So what? If HS soccer is mostly about the social aspect then let your kids enjoy it. It's just not that important. Cheer the team on and volunteer for the snack shack. Support them. Don't go bit**ing to the athletic director and try to get the coach fired mid season (unless a coach is abusive or sleeping with a player a AD will not fire a coach midseason). If your player is frustrated, tell them to make the best out of bad situation, do their personal best and have fun. There will plenty of times in life when things aren't going the way you want. How you rise to those challenges matters more than the outcome.

Like Reply Quote
Re: Recommendations welcome: how to deal with an incompetent HS coach
lisoccer1 #728376 10/18/19 12:06 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I agree in most cases HS Soccer is about socialization first and foremost. The level of play is far below club soccer however they do have a few teams that try to platy correctly. With that said HS coaches can or cant have a soccer background its really luck of the draw per school and you could have a coach who is incompetent for 30yrs. End of the day few and far are even going to play in college. Complaining about a tenor coach is waste of time, if you want a more competitive HS experience you have 3 choices play for your town, play Catholic School or play DA. My daughter hasn't learned one thing about soccer this season....she has learned about nepotism and politics though. Thanks to our HS Soccer coach who showed my daughter the squeaky wheel gets minutes even when they don't deserve it. Glad its over in 2 more weeks

Like Reply Quote
Re: Recommendations welcome: how to deal with an incompetent HS coach
Anonymous #728380 10/18/19 12:53 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Ref Problems:

Heckling - Parents heckle when NOTHING is EVER called. We do not want our girls to get hurt.

Cards - If the game gets so bad that the ref is handing out cards in a HS game - the Ref is NOT controlling the game.

Time - HS games should be played after 6 so we can get good quality refs. It's a part time job. Let JV play early and refs learn, then night games so the ref pool is bigger.

Change - Change Refs, not fair to have the same ref follow a team.

Games - We all know who the rival games, power games are. Section XI must do a better job of monitoring better quality refs for those games.

Coach Problems:

Coaches - History, Math, Science teachers as HS Varsity coaches. Just like students don't know everything there is to know about their subjects, these coaches don't know soccer to the depth they should. The Narcissist coaches need to ask for help just like their students go for extra help.

Coaches - You can have the most talented team however they will not get past playoffs because they are being out coached and will lose every time.

Coaches - Don't know/recognize the talent they have and play them to their potential.

Coaches - make crazy rules and penalize team for missed practices for legitimate reasons. These are not adults getting rides themselves nor making all doctor plans, or family emergencies etc. It's not habitual problems - ease up. If it is a problem maybe the student needs help you no nothing about....

Players/Parents

Players have been trained at this level by more knowledgeable soccer coaches. Parents know this and have no faith in their Science teacher. Players are being played out of their positions because this is not professional nor private schools where you have many to chose from. They need to work together.

Parents - Relax and try to enjoy Sally playing with her friends and for her school.


And so on and so forth......



to the author-....suck it!!!

Like Reply Quote
Re: Recommendations welcome: how to deal with an incompetent HS coach
Anonymous #728556 10/22/19 09:44 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Another a undereduacted moron, who can't get a teaching degree!! face it when you were a student in HS, you should have paid attention to that History, Math or Science teacher!! I know plenty of HS coaches who have played at high levels in college (as well as "club"). They have a passion to teach. Both in the classroom as well as on the training grounds!!

Like Reply Quote
Re: Recommendations welcome: how to deal with an incompetent HS coach
lisoccer1 #728593 10/22/19 02:18 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Not all teachers should teach either....Passion and knowledge does not always translate to coaching and or teaching....

Like Reply Quote
Re: Recommendations welcome: how to deal with an incompetent HS coach
lisoccer1 #728595 10/22/19 02:27 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Not all teachers should teach either....Passion and knowledge does not always translate to coaching and or teaching....



There is an old saying: "those that can't do...teach"

Like Reply Quote
Re: Recommendations welcome: how to deal with an incompetent HS coach
LIRef77 #728655 10/23/19 11:53 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by LIRef77
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by LIRef77
If you read about John Wooden and his sayings the best way to correct a player is without anger and without losing control. When a Coach loses control he is only telling his players that it is ok to not have self control and the discipline the player himself is in dire need of.
High School players are smart and old enough to recognize inappropriate behavior just because they are not allowed to call it out doesn’t mean they don’t see it.



So in our society we all ways teach kids to stand up and fight for what is right? (this sound great when the words are spoken or when its written on the wall for all to see).

but the moment we see an injustice on the soccer field the lesson is do nothing and turn/look the other way?.....NOT...Refs should consistently do a good job...when they mess up, they deserve to be yelled at and heckled...they are being paid to do a good job!!!!!!!!

Funny I thought this was about High School Coaches not the performance of Referees. Apparently you do not want to start a separate thread and just want to criticize referees. That’s ok to do but heckling at games is NOT! You are confusing the freedom of speech with inappropriate behavior. So please tell us, when (in your opinion) a referee makes a mistake (and they do because they are human) then you think people should heckle the referee because that will accomplish WHAT? It’s the typical irrational behavior that referees are already dealing with because the call will not be changed and it will accomplish nothing other than getting the offender ejected. This is a nationwide problem that people like you just don’t get.
Try and stay focused on what the thread is about-High School Coaches.


I get it. As my daughter is a game or two away from her HS soccer days being over, i've become completely disgusted with the parents' rage toward the refs. I'm actually more disgusted with parents seemingly feeling empowered to scream and and criticize kids on the field (from our team) other than their own, but the rath toward the refs is contant. I'm sad to say that i'm happy this is almost over as the joy I used to have watching games has become disgust.

Like Reply Quote
Re: Recommendations welcome: how to deal with an incompetent HS coach
lisoccer1 #728726 10/24/19 02:05 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by LIRef77
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by LIRef77
If you read about John Wooden and his sayings the best way to correct a player is without anger and without losing control. When a Coach loses control he is only telling his players that it is ok to not have self control and the discipline the player himself is in dire need of.
High School players are smart and old enough to recognize inappropriate behavior just because they are not allowed to call it out doesn’t mean they don’t see it.



So in our society we all ways teach kids to stand up and fight for what is right? (this sound great when the words are spoken or when its written on the wall for all to see).

but the moment we see an injustice on the soccer field the lesson is do nothing and turn/look the other way?.....NOT...Refs should consistently do a good job...when they mess up, they deserve to be yelled at and heckled...they are being paid to do a good job!!!!!!!!

Funny I thought this was about High School Coaches not the performance of Referees. Apparently you do not want to start a separate thread and just want to criticize referees. That’s ok to do but heckling at games is NOT! You are confusing the freedom of speech with inappropriate behavior. So please tell us, when (in your opinion) a referee makes a mistake (and they do because they are human) then you think people should heckle the referee because that will accomplish WHAT? It’s the typical irrational behavior that referees are already dealing with because the call will not be changed and it will accomplish nothing other than getting the offender ejected. This is a nationwide problem that people like you just don’t get.
Try and stay focused on what the thread is about-High School Coaches.


I get it. As my daughter is a game or two away from her HS soccer days being over, i've become completely disgusted with the parents' rage toward the refs. I'm actually more disgusted with parents seemingly feeling empowered to scream and and criticize kids on the field (from our team) other than their own, but the rath toward the refs is contant. I'm sad to say that i'm happy this is almost over as the joy I used to have watching games has become disgust.



I would never criticize a kid...that is bad....Criticizing a ref for a bad Call? Its my god given right as a soccer fan to do (people do this all the time in real soccer countries like brazil, the only difference is the refs can't hear that far away)....Refs deserve to be heckled especially when they F_ck up....heck the official should have thicker skin and not be a p_ssy if his pathetic feelings get hurt (he always has the choice to ignore any heckling going on (as they should) and cont. to officiate the game as best he can).

Like Reply Quote
Re: Recommendations welcome: how to deal with an incompetent HS coach
lisoccer1 #728733 10/24/19 03:13 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A


but the moment we see an injustice on the soccer field the lesson is do nothing and turn/look the other way?.....NOT...Refs should consistently do a good job...when they mess up, they deserve to be yelled at and heckled...they are being paid to do a good job!!!!!!!![/quote]
Funny I thought this was about High School Coaches not the performance of Referees. Apparently you do not want to start a separate thread and just want to criticize referees. That’s ok to do but heckling at games is NOT! You are confusing the freedom of speech with inappropriate behavior. So please tell us, when (in your opinion) a referee makes a mistake (and they do because they are human) then you think people should heckle the referee because that will accomplish WHAT? It’s the typical irrational behavior that referees are already dealing with because the call will not be changed and it will accomplish nothing other than getting the offender ejected. This is a nationwide problem that people like you just don’t get.
Try and stay focused on what the thread is about-High School Coaches. [/quote]

I get it. As my daughter is a game or two away from her HS soccer days being over, i've become completely disgusted with the parents' rage toward the refs. I'm actually more disgusted with parents seemingly feeling empowered to scream and and criticize kids on the field (from our team) other than their own, but the rath toward the refs is contant. I'm sad to say that i'm happy this is almost over as the joy I used to have watching games has become disgust.[/quote]


I would never criticize a kid...that is bad....Criticizing a ref for a bad Call? Its my god given right as a soccer fan to do (people do this all the time in real soccer countries like brazil, the only difference is the refs can't hear that far away)....Refs deserve to be heckled especially when they F_ck up....heck the official should have thicker skin and not be a p_ssy if his pathetic feelings get hurt (he always has the choice to ignore any heckling going on (as they should) and cont. to officiate the game as best he can).[/quote]

You seem like you would be a joy to be around.

Like Reply Quote
Re: Recommendations welcome: how to deal with an incompetent HS coach
lisoccer1 #728739 10/24/19 03:54 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have been told so...especially at tournaments!!! smile

Like Reply Quote
Re: Recommendations welcome: how to deal with an incompetent HS coach
lisoccer1 #728764 10/25/19 07:12 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The real problem is High School security. Throwing kids out for cheering.

Like Reply Quote
Re: Recommendations welcome: how to deal with an incompetent HS coach
lisoccer1 #728900 10/28/19 07:41 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
With multiple kids playing different sports I can attest there are bad coaches and parents everywhere. They yell at their kid's teammates, coaches, athletic directors, administrators and refs (yes I know the reffing can suck but it's usually equal time suckiness). They make life miserable for the booster club parents just trying to support the teams. If it were just because of their passion for the game it might (might) be more excusable. But 9 times out of 10 it's insecure parents who think their kids are much better than they are. Parents of truly talented kids don't sweat the silly things that happen in HS and most of the rest know that none of this is that important. Try and enjoy the time because it goes by so fast and poof! they're off to college. If it drives you that crazy, do us all a favor - stay home and stay out of it

Like Reply Quote
Re: Recommendations welcome: how to deal with an incompetent HS coach
Anonymous #729050 10/30/19 11:28 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So apparently if there’s not a scholarship on the line it is meaningless? Pretty jaded view.

Like Reply Quote
Re: Recommendations welcome: how to deal with an incompetent HS coach
Anonymous #729057 10/31/19 07:58 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
With multiple kids playing different sports I can attest there are bad coaches and parents everywhere. They yell at their kid's teammates, coaches, athletic directors, administrators and refs (yes I know the reffing can suck but it's usually equal time suckiness). They make life miserable for the booster club parents just trying to support the teams. If it were just because of their passion for the game it might (might) be more excusable. But 9 times out of 10 it's insecure parents who think their kids are much better than they are. Parents of truly talented kids don't sweat the silly things that happen in HS and most of the rest know that none of this is that important. Try and enjoy the time because it goes by so fast and poof! they're off to college. If it drives you that crazy, do us all a favor - stay home and stay out of it


You say that its not that important,define important. Sports it's competitive, just like business, don't matter what level,you want to try be the best and compete, win games, win business deals,just like real life. Heart and Desire is needed in any aspect of life

Like Reply Quote
Re: Recommendations welcome: how to deal with an incompetent HS coach
Anonymous #729084 10/31/19 12:58 PM
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 962
Likes: 3
L
Back of THE NET
Offline
Back of THE NET
L
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 962
Likes: 3
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
With multiple kids playing different sports I can attest there are bad coaches and parents everywhere. They yell at their kid's teammates, coaches, athletic directors, administrators and refs (yes I know the reffing can suck but it's usually equal time suckiness). They make life miserable for the booster club parents just trying to support the teams. If it were just because of their passion for the game it might (might) be more excusable. But 9 times out of 10 it's insecure parents who think their kids are much better than they are. Parents of truly talented kids don't sweat the silly things that happen in HS and most of the rest know that none of this is that important. Try and enjoy the time because it goes by so fast and poof! they're off to college. If it drives you that crazy, do us all a favor - stay home and stay out of it


You say that its not that important,define important. Sports it's competitive, just like business, don't matter what level,you want to try be the best and compete, win games, win business deals,just like real life. Heart and Desire is needed in any aspect of life


You actually want to compare amateur sports to business? Really? Winning is that important? If people acted like they do at most games today at their workplace they would not have a long career. Inappropriate behavior is NOT tolerated in the workplace today! Losing your job today is not the same as losing a game!

Like Reply Quote
Re: Recommendations welcome: how to deal with an incompetent HS coach
LIRef77 #729238 11/04/19 12:15 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by LIRef77
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
With multiple kids playing different sports I can attest there are bad coaches and parents everywhere. They yell at their kid's teammates, coaches, athletic directors, administrators and refs (yes I know the reffing can suck but it's usually equal time suckiness). They make life miserable for the booster club parents just trying to support the teams. If it were just because of their passion for the game it might (might) be more excusable. But 9 times out of 10 it's insecure parents who think their kids are much better than they are. Parents of truly talented kids don't sweat the silly things that happen in HS and most of the rest know that none of this is that important. Try and enjoy the time because it goes by so fast and poof! they're off to college. If it drives you that crazy, do us all a favor - stay home and stay out of it


You say that its not that important,define important. Sports it's competitive, just like business, don't matter what level,you want to try be the best and compete, win games, win business deals,just like real life. Heart and Desire is needed in any aspect of life


You actually want to compare amateur sports to business? Really? Winning is that important? If people acted like they do at most games today at their workplace they would not have a long career. Inappropriate behavior is NOT tolerated in the workplace today! Losing your job today is not the same as losing a game!


"When you, here, everyone of you, were kids, you all admired the champion marble player, the fastest runner, the toughest boxer, the big league ball players, and the All-American football players. Americans love a winner. Americans will not tolerate a loser. Americans despise cowards. Americans play to win all of the time. I wouldn't give a hoot in hell for a man who lost and laughed. That's why Americans have never lost nor will ever lose a war; for the very idea of losing is hateful to an American." PATTONS speech to the 3rd Army June 5th 1944

You must have a suck_ss Job...you loser.

Like Reply Quote
Re: Recommendations welcome: how to deal with an incompetent HS coach
Anonymous #729260 11/04/19 03:53 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by LIRef77
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
With multiple kids playing different sports I can attest there are bad coaches and parents everywhere. They yell at their kid's teammates, coaches, athletic directors, administrators and refs (yes I know the reffing can suck but it's usually equal time suckiness). They make life miserable for the booster club parents just trying to support the teams. If it were just because of their passion for the game it might (might) be more excusable. But 9 times out of 10 it's insecure parents who think their kids are much better than they are. Parents of truly talented kids don't sweat the silly things that happen in HS and most of the rest know that none of this is that important. Try and enjoy the time because it goes by so fast and poof! they're off to college. If it drives you that crazy, do us all a favor - stay home and stay out of it


You say that its not that important,define important. Sports it's competitive, just like business, don't matter what level,you want to try be the best and compete, win games, win business deals,just like real life. Heart and Desire is needed in any aspect of life


You actually want to compare amateur sports to business? Really? Winning is that important? If people acted like they do at most games today at their workplace they would not have a long career. Inappropriate behavior is NOT tolerated in the workplace today! Losing your job today is not the same as losing a game!


"When you, here, everyone of you, were kids, you all admired the champion marble player, the fastest runner, the toughest boxer, the big league ball players, and the All-American football players. Americans love a winner. Americans will not tolerate a loser. Americans despise cowards. Americans play to win all of the time. I wouldn't give a hoot in hell for a man who lost and laughed. That's why Americans have never lost nor will ever lose a war; for the very idea of losing is hateful to an American." PATTONS speech to the 3rd Army June 5th 1944

You must have a suck_ss Job...you loser.




Please take your MEDS NOW

Like Reply Quote
Re: Recommendations welcome: how to deal with an incompetent HS coach
Anonymous #729262 11/04/19 04:24 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by LIRef77
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
With multiple kids playing different sports I can attest there are bad coaches and parents everywhere. They yell at their kid's teammates, coaches, athletic directors, administrators and refs (yes I know the reffing can suck but it's usually equal time suckiness). They make life miserable for the booster club parents just trying to support the teams. If it were just because of their passion for the game it might (might) be more excusable. But 9 times out of 10 it's insecure parents who think their kids are much better than they are. Parents of truly talented kids don't sweat the silly things that happen in HS and most of the rest know that none of this is that important. Try and enjoy the time because it goes by so fast and poof! they're off to college. If it drives you that crazy, do us all a favor - stay home and stay out of it


You say that its not that important,define important. Sports it's competitive, just like business, don't matter what level,you want to try be the best and compete, win games, win business deals,just like real life. Heart and Desire is needed in any aspect of life


You actually want to compare amateur sports to business? Really? Winning is that important? If people acted like they do at most games today at their workplace they would not have a long career. Inappropriate behavior is NOT tolerated in the workplace today! Losing your job today is not the same as losing a game!


"When you, here, everyone of you, were kids, you all admired the champion marble player, the fastest runner, the toughest boxer, the big league ball players, and the All-American football players. Americans love a winner. Americans will not tolerate a loser. Americans despise cowards. Americans play to win all of the time. I wouldn't give a hoot in hell for a man who lost and laughed. That's why Americans have never lost nor will ever lose a war; for the very idea of losing is hateful to an American." PATTONS speech to the 3rd Army June 5th 1944

You must have a suck_ss Job...you loser.



Lost in Nam’

Like Reply Quote
Re: Recommendations welcome: how to deal with an incompetent HS coach
Anonymous #729282 11/04/19 07:16 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Try and stay focused on what the thread is about-High School Coaches. [/quote]

I get it. As my daughter is a game or two away from her HS soccer days being over, i've become completely disgusted with the parents' rage toward the refs. I'm actually more disgusted with parents seemingly feeling empowered to scream and and criticize kids on the field (from our team) other than their own, but the rath toward the refs is contant. I'm sad to say that i'm happy this is almost over as the joy I used to have watching games has become disgust.[/quote]


I would never criticize a kid...that is bad....Criticizing a ref for a bad Call? Its my god given right as a soccer fan to do (people do this all the time in real soccer countries like brazil, the only difference is the refs can't hear that far away)....Refs deserve to be heckled especially when they F_ck up....heck the official should have thicker skin and not be a p_ssy if his pathetic feelings get hurt (he always has the choice to ignore any heckling going on (as they should) and cont. to officiate the game as best he can).[/quote]

First year in high school soccer and definitely didn't love it. Parents on the sidelines yelling at kids not their own when the kids they were yelling at were far better than their own kid and of course they didn't know what they were talking about. If yuo don't have something to say keep it to yourself. Just encourage.
The quality of the refs.sucked. They let the games get way too physical and dirty and didn't make obvious calls (on both sides) in order to keep the kids safe.
Not even going to comment on the coach.The thread is taking care of it. However, yes, we had an incompetent coach.

Like Reply Quote
Re: Recommendations welcome: how to deal with an incompetent HS coach
Anonymous #729303 11/05/19 09:15 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Try and stay focused on what the thread is about-High School Coaches.


I get it. As my daughter is a game or two away from her HS soccer days being over, i've become completely disgusted with the parents' rage toward the refs. I'm actually more disgusted with parents seemingly feeling empowered to scream and and criticize kids on the field (from our team) other than their own, but the rath toward the refs is contant. I'm sad to say that i'm happy this is almost over as the joy I used to have watching games has become disgust.[/quote]


I would never criticize a kid...that is bad....Criticizing a ref for a bad Call? Its my god given right as a soccer fan to do (people do this all the time in real soccer countries like brazil, the only difference is the refs can't hear that far away)....Refs deserve to be heckled especially when they F_ck up....heck the official should have thicker skin and not be a p_ssy if his pathetic feelings get hurt (he always has the choice to ignore any heckling going on (as they should) and cont. to officiate the game as best he can).[/quote]

First year in high school soccer and definitely didn't love it. Parents on the sidelines yelling at kids not their own when the kids they were yelling at were far better than their own kid and of course they didn't know what they were talking about. If yuo don't have something to say keep it to yourself. Just encourage.
The quality of the refs.sucked. They let the games get way too physical and dirty and didn't make obvious calls (on both sides) in order to keep the kids safe.
Not even going to comment on the coach.The thread is taking care of it. However, yes, we had an incompetent coach.
[/quote]

Yep that's HS soccer in a nutshell!
My FAVORITE is "Parents on the sidelines yelling at kids not their own when the kids they were yelling at were far better than their own kid and of course they didn't know what they were talking about". It's like my kid's school taught a seminar in that and I missed it. It's ALWAYS the families of the below average to mediocre players whose Little Suzie's won 2nd place in the "4th Semi-Annual Soft Shell Crab Kick-Off tournament of the Greater Sound Area" that are the loudest and most critical. Meanwhile, their kid couldn't connect a pass if her life depended on it and that's only if she can actually get to the ball before the opponent, which rarely happens.

Like Reply Quote
Re: Recommendations welcome: how to deal with an incompetent HS coach
lisoccer1 #729913 11/17/19 12:51 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Are there any good high school coaches?

Like Reply Quote
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled


Link Copied to Clipboard

Click Here!