Re: BOYS High School (School Ball) Fall 2019
Anonymous #726123 08/28/19 11:28 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
yes and no. Also based on enrollment size.

Like Reply Quote
Junior Soccer Advertisements

Anonymous #726125 08/28/19 12:31 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Amityville has some big expectations coming into this season as reigning champs, but no doubt that they will have a great season

Who cares? Yes, they do a great job in the little schools which is equivalent to the big schools JV teams.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #726130 08/28/19 02:00 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What is the difference among the conferences? A1, A2, A3, A4, AA1. Is one stronger than the others?

A good A team might be just as good as a good AA team but there's a cut off each year, say at 1400 kids, which moves up and down, above which you are AA, or below which, you are A. Divisions 1, 2 and 3 are do not reflect team level, the leagues are broken up into geographical areas, so the bus rides aren't too far and are seeded so that you have a couple of obviously strong teams, three or four solid teams and some also rans to make up the number. Newfield are AA D3 but could easily top D1 or 2. There's no promotion or relegation but there is usually some reshuffling each year so that the leagues are balanced. What's fascinating is that the same teams are often at the top each year. Is it the coaching, or is it the local town programs the kids have grown up with that give the coaches a head start?

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #726139 08/28/19 03:59 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Amityville has some big expectations coming into this season as reigning champs, but no doubt that they will have a great season

Who cares? Yes, they do a great job in the little schools which is equivalent to the big schools JV teams.

LOL, keep telling yourself that if it makes you feel better.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #726140 08/28/19 04:36 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
your right chaminade is $17k a year so they pay $68k total

More than that if you consider the nepotism and donations to help convince the coaches to reserve your son a spot on the team. Match their roster surnames to their big donors...and this year there were boys that were injured for the entire tryouts and still got rostered over better players. Another proof why the colleges are looking more at the DAs than the High Schoolers...

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #726149 08/28/19 09:39 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

More than that if you consider the nepotism and donations to help convince the coaches to reserve your son a spot on the team. Match their roster surnames to their big donors...and this year there were boys that were injured for the entire tryouts and still got rostered over better players. Another proof why the colleges are looking more at the DAs than the High Schoolers...

First of all, you obviously don’t have a child at Chaminade as it’s not $17K. It’s about $13K. Secondly, sports are not the reason to attend Chaminade. Academics is the reason. Soccer scholarship for Chaminade kids? No! Academic scholarships...yes!

Like Reply Quote
Larry Miller #726151 08/28/19 09:43 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Chaminade is $12,450 this year, not $17,000. You pay for the academics, not soccer or any other sport.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #726161 08/29/19 08:20 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Big donors and former alumni get their kids on the roster and admission to the school. It's who you know!!

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #726170 08/29/19 10:03 AM
S
Back of THE NET
Back of THE NET
S
When you choose a Catholic or private school it has to do with academics and who you want your kids to go to school with. I live in Queens when my kid could not get into a specialized high school we knew he would go to a Catholic school. With academic scholarship it's $7,500 and he just made the JV team for his Freshmen year. He will still play club soccer. There is far more money in the books than there is in the ball. We use soccer to keep him from hanging out in a park everyday and hopefully from doing what a number of kids will be doing with idle time.

Kids should play HS ball the academy's have that thinking wrong.

I went to Don Bosco in NJ happy to hear they still throttle the Long Island teams.

Like Reply Quote
Sundevil94 #726240 08/30/19 11:33 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Sundevil94
When you choose a Catholic or private school it has to do with academics and who you want your kids to go to school with. I live in Queens when my kid could not get into a specialized high school we knew he would go to a Catholic school. With academic scholarship it's $7,500 and he just made the JV team for his Freshmen year. He will still play club soccer. There is far more money in the books than there is in the ball. We use soccer to keep him from hanging out in a park everyday and hopefully from doing what a number of kids will be doing with idle time.

Kids should play HS ball the academy's have that thinking wrong.

I went to Don Bosco in NJ happy to hear they still throttle the Long Island teams.

That's how to do it! The education. We know that none of these HS teams (private or public) could beat the club teams, nor due the HS coaches have much of a clue.
BUT its still fun to have bragging rights...!

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #726258 08/30/19 09:17 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

2017...Amityville 7 Chaminade 2
2018...Amityville 1 St Anthony's 0 (Without their All American and NY State POY Henry Martinez)
Nobody in AA has ever done that... Can compete with AA JV teams?? Amityville in 2018 would have beat anyone in AA in NYS.

Like Reply Quote
Larry Miller #726270 08/31/19 11:37 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Brentwood vs Massapequa final

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #726286 08/31/19 08:09 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If you’re going to bash HS coaches for not having a clue....you might want to check your grammar. Makes you look just as clueless....LOL

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #726290 08/31/19 10:03 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If you’re going to bash HS coaches for not having a clue....you might want to check your grammar. Makes you look just as clueless....LOL

Why ??? You don’t need to be smart to realize high school coaches are clueless.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #726292 08/31/19 10:57 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

2018...Amityville 1 St Anthony's 0 (Without their All American and NY State POY Henry Martinez)
Nobody in AA has ever done that... Can compete with AA JV teams?? Amityville in 2018 would have beat anyone in AA in NYS.

Catholic school league is terrible. I agree you probably would have beat any AA JV team this n 2018.

Like Reply Quote
Larry Miller #726323 09/02/19 02:23 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
A sleeper team I saw play in Nassau today is William Floyd , I know I’ll get crap,for it but was impressed , there is talent on the team ,It’s a young team but they play as a team , 2 players stand out .The Center Midfielder whom played for NYCFC and their forward never noticed him before just found out he plays for SUSA .Those 2 work good together .I was very impressed with how they played the Center Mid is a great player, excellent ball handling can tell he was trained well. , the forward impressed me with how he plays plus I think he may be one of the fastest players in the league .No one has thought twice about Floyd but Should .They surprised us in Nassau

Like Reply Quote
Larry Miller #726328 09/02/19 03:35 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Catholic school league is terrible. I agree you probably would have beat any AA JV team this n 2018.

The greatest thing about sports is that their state championship banner will be hanging in their gym for the next 75 years, where your moronic attempt to disparage a group of teenagers that won a state championship will be forgotten in a day. Good luck to all teams this fall.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #726355 09/03/19 09:31 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
A sleeper team I saw play in Nassau today is William Floyd , I know I’ll get crap,for it but was impressed , there is talent on the team ,It’s a young team but they play as a team , 2 players stand out .The Center Midfielder whom played for NYCFC and their forward never noticed him before just found out he plays for SUSA .Those 2 work good together .I was very impressed with how they played the Center Mid is a great player, excellent ball handling can tell he was trained well. , the forward impressed me with how he plays plus I think he may be one of the fastest players in the league .No one has thought twice about Floyd but Should .They surprised us in Nassau

Not surprised at all

Like Reply Quote
Larry Miller #726408 09/04/19 02:01 PM
Chief Rocker
Back of THE NET
OP Online
Chief Rocker
Back of THE NET
By Michael Logan
michael.logan@newsday.com

Expectations are always high for the Brentwood boys soccer team, and they wouldn't have it any other way.

“We are used to it,” Brentwood head coach Ron Eden said of the lofty expectations of his team. “Every year we are the number one or two (seed) and it doesn't matter what we have or what we lose, everybody puts the line on us. And we don't mind that.”

This year’s Brentwood squad was selected to finish as the top Class AA team in Suffolk county by the Suffolk coaches preseason poll. After all, Eden has led Brentwood to impressive feats over his 23 years of coaching. The team has won nine county championships, seven Long Island championships and two state championships.

Eden said the players who come to Brentwood have the desire to be great and to carry on a tradition of winning.

“There is a continuity to the program where each year we try to keep the team as half underclassmen and half as seniors,” Eden said. “A lot of these kids, their brothers or family members, have played for Brentwood. So, there is a tradition here that they try to emulate.”

Even though the team is the preseason favorites, Eden said his team will not overlook anyone on their schedule.

“We never take other teams for granted and it doesn't matter who it is,” Eden said. “Our motto is that everything counts; every game counts, every bounce counts and every scrimmage counts. Really good teams make their own luck.”

Brentwood will have 19 players back from last year, including midfielder Brandon Yanez, center back Alex Garcia, defender Sergio Ventura, forward Nathaniel Austin and goalkeeper Anthony Molina.

Yanez, who will be relied upon to score a majority of Brentwood’s goals, said the team has what it takes to win a Suffolk Class AA championship.

“I think we can do really well this season,” Yanez said. “We have a strong team and I feel like everybody has the same mindset. Even on the bench, we have people who can do the business as well.”

Brentwood’s defense, which will be anchored by Molina again this season, allowed only eight goals in 17 games. Eden said he expects the same production from the defense, but he anticipates the offense will score more than the 40 goals it scored in 2018, which ended with a loss to Whitman in the quarterfinals of the Suffolk AA playoffs.

"The kids play really well together. They like each other and they hang out together,” Eden said. “They all play on a couple of different club teams. It’s just a good blend of guys … I’m unsold on where we are going to end up, but I like what I see. They just have something and I can’t quite put my finger on it. Most of the good teams and championship teams have that bond.”

The main threats to Brentwood in Class AA are Ward Melville, Commack and Whitman. Richard Morel was Whitman’s leading scorer last season with 14 goals and is entering his junior year. Whitman head coach John DiGiacomo said he expects Morel and Roberto Alfaro to get even better this season.

"As a sophomore, to be one of the top goal scorers as Richard (Morel) was, that was a plus,” DiGiacomo said. “They look a little bit more seasoned heading into the season.”

Morel said his team, which won the Suffolk Class AA championship in 2018, is not worried about being selected to finish second in the coaches preseason poll.

“We just focus on ourselves and try to progress as a team,” Morel said. “But right now, Commack is in our league, so that is who we are focusing on.”

DiGiacomo said matchups against Brentwood and Commack are always difficult and he doesn’t expect this season to be any different.

“When you play quality teams like Commack and Brentwood, you know you are in for a challenge,” DiGiacomo said. “We are just looking forward to the season.”

By Michael Logan
michael.logan@newsday.com

Like Reply Quote
Larry Miller #726418 09/04/19 06:01 PM
Chief Rocker
Back of THE NET
OP Online
Chief Rocker
Back of THE NET

Like Reply Quote
Larry Miller #726419 09/04/19 06:02 PM
Chief Rocker
Back of THE NET
OP Online
Chief Rocker
Back of THE NET
Garden City boys soccer focused on winning county title

By Sal Cacciatore
salvatore.cacciatore@newsday.com @SCacc8

In addition to a wealth of talent and experience, Garden City’s title ambitions will be fueled by the motivation to finish the job they left incomplete last season.

The Trojans earned the top seed in the Nassau Class A boys soccer playoffs last year and reached the county finals, before being upset by Mepham, 1-0.

“It's definitely, for these guys, a little unfinished business,” Garden City coach Paul Cutter said. “It's a big motivation for these guys to try to win a county championship. We have core group of seniors ... and I would think this is probably as talented a group of players as I've ever had.”

That roster includes Joe Griffin and Owen Heaney, two of the better players in the county.

Griffin has been a stalwart in goal the past two seasons, combining to make 165 saves during that time. The senior has experience in the biggest games, leading the Trojans to the state semifinals in 2017 after making 12 saves in the Long Island championship game.

Aside from his skill of stopping shots, Griffin also excels at distributing the ball, which is key to Garden City’s possession-based approach.

“He's probably one of the most technically talented players we have,” Cutter said. “He could easily play on the field, but he gives us that extra advantage of being able to play out from the back.”

Up front, Heaney had eight goals and 16 assists last season, and his 24 points are the most for a returning player in Nassau.

“He's just a really good all-around forward,” Cutter said of Heaney. “His hold-up play is excellent, he can shoot with his left or his right foot and he definitely brings others into the game, as the number of assists he gets shows. He's such a threat that he opens up areas of the field for other guys to be successful.”

In addition to the talents of Heaney and Griffin, a skilled midfield and backline are other factors that could separate the Trojans from the pack.

Tommy Aneser leads in the icentral defense and will be joined Billy Castoro, who is back from an injury that kept him out last season. His return will push Ethan Senatore from the backline into the midfield, alongside Joe Bernieri and the versatile Joe McNiff.

“It’s such a strong core of the team,” Cutter said of his midfield. “They'll do a great job in possession. They're very creative, they can pick out a pass and they can get forward.”

As good as Cutter’s team looks, their route back to the county finals and beyond does not look easy.

“The A's are always just stacked. It,” Cutter said. “I feel like it is the hardest thing, to win a Class A county championship.”

South Side will be one of the teams looking to challenge the Trojans, and return Danny Kelleher and Robert Reis from a team that went unbeaten in the regular season and earned the No. 2 seed in the playoffs.

Kelleher is another of the top goalies in the county, making 198 saves over the past two seasons. Reis controls the midfield.

Jericho will have a strong midfield, led by Jordan Miller and Paolo Martino.

“We have a senior-heavy team and I think the guys we’re returning are ready to make a push,” Jericho coach Dani Braga said. “If we stay true to how we play, I think we are going to be tough to beat. ... The top few teams are going to be neck and neck with each other.”

Lawrence features forward Mauricio Puerto-Quintanilla, who had 15 goals and six assists last season to earn first-team All-Long Island honors. He will be supported by talented midfielder Danny Cifuentes.

Reigning champion Mepham graduated a number of key pieces from last year’s squad, but county coach of the year Zachary Gosse has built his program to a level where it should remain a key player.

Class AA
Port Washington surged to the Long Island championship last season and will look to carry that momentum into 2019. Jose Lima-Sagastume and Jack Fridman anchor a strong midfield and are joined by Dougy Barrera.

The Vikings were the No. 8 seed last season, but edged top-seeded Syosset in the opening round of the playoffs, before knocking off No. 5 Farmingdale in the semifinals and No.3 Massapequa in the county final. They then beat Whitman to claim the Long Island title, before losing 1-0 in the state semifinals.

The Chiefs’ efforts to get back to the county title will be led by the midfield duo of Brian Boylan and Owen McGarity.

Syosset is led by Jack Wagner, who returns to the Braves after playing academy soccer for the past three years.

Westbury earned the No. 2 seed in the county playoffs last season and returns Diego Turcios and Andy Plasencia.

Plainview JFK, Farmingdale and Uniondale should be in the mix as well.

Class B
Carle Place has a bit of unfinished business of its own, as the Frogs fell in penalty kicks in the state regional finals to Briarcliff of Section 1.

Forwards Chris Deveau and Kevin Graca and midfielder Gio Fabiano were all key pieces last season and will be back as the team tries to repeat as Long Island champions.

By Sal Cacciatore

Like Reply Quote
Larry Miller #726436 09/05/19 05:49 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Originally Posted by Larry Miller

This is NOT the whole article or all the boys picked ,my son was picked and took is picture by Newsday yesterday

Like Reply Quote
Larry Miller #726442 09/05/19 09:20 AM
Chief Rocker
Back of THE NET
OP Online
Chief Rocker
Back of THE NET
Newsday's preseason Top 10 boys soccer teams
By Sal Cacciatore

1. Amityville

2. Garden City

3. Brentwood

4. Chaminade

5. Whitman

6. South Side

7. Jericho

8. St. Anthony’s

9. Half Hollow Hills West

10. Carle Place

By Sal Cacciatore

Like Reply Quote
Larry Miller #726447 09/05/19 10:47 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
For what it’s worth GC and Amityville scrimmaged earlier this week. Two solid teams. GC was up 2-0 before each team started subbing heavily.

Jericho best Carle Place 6-0 in non-league couple days ago and plays GC on Friday.

Like Reply Quote
Larry Miller #726462 09/05/19 02:58 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
no commack?

Like Reply Quote
Page 2 of 16 1 2 3 4 15 16