Forum Search
Latest Posts
G2008:U12 Fall 2019/Spring 2020
by Anonymous - 06/06/20 11:33 AM
So, When Do You Think the Games Will Start Up Again?
by Anonymous - 06/06/20 11:01 AM
SUSA Refund Letter
by Anonymous - 06/06/20 10:59 AM
Long Island SC Boys Academy Presentation
by Anonymous - 06/06/20 09:21 AM
Sponsors

Girls Academy League
Girls Academy League
Development Player League
DPL Scores & Standings
WYSL Scores & Standings
Spring '20 Scores & Standings
ENY State Cups 2019-2020
Challenge Cup
NY State Cup
Random Photos
Save the Animals
BOTN en Espaol
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Girls ECNL Announce Regional Northeast League
Anonymous #723742 06/19/19 10:10 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
We are saying the same thing. Those are great schools you mention. If your kid can get in academically and play soccer or just be rostered and you can swing the tuition, that's a great scenario.

I am not sure we are. in reality soccer IS the deciding factor. Thats why parents are paying to do it. No matter what they try an tell you they are not just doing it as a fun activity for my kid. once you narrow in on your universe of schools, soccer is a huge factor.

if we are, then cool, but when people say pick the school first, it implies there is only one that satisfies. It implies ignore soccer and just pick the best school. once you have In reality there should be more than that if you are doing it comprehensively.

That makes no sense at all

The key comment here is "once you narrow in on your universe of schools". That universe of schools should be based on academics. Once down to the short list, soccer can be a bigger factor.

Like Reply Quote
Junior Soccer Advertisements

Larry Miller #723744 06/19/19 10:30 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Are there many new commitments since 6/15/19 for the 2021s?

Like Reply Quote
Larry Miller #723749 06/19/19 11:36 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Better conversation while we may disagree the general consensus can agree that education comes first and foremost. Most schools are still working on there 2020’s which will conclude in the Fall for those who gave not finished by now. The 2021’s committed are usually those identified thru National pool, NTC, ID2 and are 4-5 rated in Top Draw. Schools have a yearly “need chart” and in a given year they see what positions they need filled either by graduation, transfer or attrition by quitting playing. All these situations happen at the vast majority of schools.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #723757 06/19/19 01:59 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
We are saying the same thing. Those are great schools you mention. If your kid can get in academically and play soccer or just be rostered and you can swing the tuition, that's a great scenario.

I am not sure we are. in reality soccer IS the deciding factor. Thats why parents are paying to do it. No matter what they try an tell you they are not just doing it as a fun activity for my kid. once you narrow in on your universe of schools, soccer is a huge factor.

if we are, then cool, but when people say pick the school first, it implies there is only one that satisfies. It implies ignore soccer and just pick the best school. once you have In reality there should be more than that if you are doing it comprehensively.

That makes no sense at all

The key comment here is "once you narrow in on your universe of schools". That universe of schools should be based on academics. Once down to the short list, soccer can be a bigger factor.

Exactly. Start with a bigger poor of schools that fit for academics, major of interest, location, size etc. Then overlap that with soccer, the most important being is it the right level for you/will you play? Once you start contacting schools the list will narrow further based on who is interested and then, finally, who gives you offers and what the offers are. Where some get into trouble is their target list can get too short and then when offers don't come they're left scrambling. It's ok to have a few things you won't give on but typically there will be some degree of give and take (for the average player. True studs is a different story but that is very few players).

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #723758 06/19/19 02:00 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Are there many new commitments since 6/15/19 for the 2021s?

way too early to say

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #723834 06/20/19 09:51 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
SO WRONG ON ALL LEVELS. Speak with coaches at these universities and they will tell you that you have to be comfortable at the University/College. If soccer is gone, do you see yourself staying at this school? does your kid really just want to be rostered? come on.

READ what was written. its spot on. find a set of schools you are comfortable with then pick basis the best soccer IF soccer is important to you.

Like Reply Quote
Larry Miller #723850 06/21/19 11:30 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
How can Smithtown claim that USYS EDP is better competition than NE NPL, soon to be ECRL? One of the best teams in the club, beats the supposed top Matchfit team from USYS EDP 3-0 but then barely gets by the NPL team on PKs. Same team beats a supposed top PDA team from USYS EDP 2-0 but then loses to the NPL team...but we're all supposed to just drink the kool aid and believe that EDP is going to be stronger???

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #723854 06/21/19 12:40 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Wait...did smithtown actually make an announcement that the club is going to EDP league? I didn't hear anything.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #723869 06/21/19 10:42 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
How can Smithtown claim that USYS EDP is better competition than NE NPL, soon to be ECRL? One of the best teams in the club, beats the supposed top Matchfit team from USYS EDP 3-0 but then barely gets by the NPL team on PKs. Same team beats a supposed top PDA team from USYS EDP 2-0 but then loses to the NPL team...but we're all supposed to just drink the kool aid and believe that EDP is going to be stronger???

Thanks Sue. Go back to bed and stop trying to stir things up

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #723875 06/22/19 08:25 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Not Sue (don't know who Sue is) and not trying to stir things up. Just asking a legitimate question. For the last 2 months all I've heard is how much better EDP is going to be for my kid, but it doesn't look like that's really the case. What gives?

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #723878 06/22/19 10:52 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Pick the school with the best educational fit for your child (major/affordability/internship/career vocation). Chances are they will not go on and play after college for a million reasons. Body goes out, reality sets in and basically they don't want to become a trainer when they wake up and their playing days are over.. If the end goal is to stay with soccer and become a trainer, then that's great. However, the guys who come from abroad are making a very good living in America, selling the dream to us. It was great for them to leave their country to come to this beautiful country and make a living and do well. Not sure it works the other way around. Also let's not forget about injuries! Pick the school....

playing after college has ZERO to do with it. let me ask you this. Why, on a soccer forum, would the quality of soccer not be the deciding factor among a range of schools that satisfy your academic need? its a pretty basic concept. too many people trot out what you just said. int eh extreme, no one is suggesting you choose Buffalo to play soccer over say Duke with all other things being equal.

The real choices usually come down to schools that are in similar categories and if thats what you are faced with then soccer should probably be the deciding factor if you care about it.

If not, then i would question why you devoted so much time to it.

this false narrative that a kid going to a top soccer school must be sacrificing education and must be focused on going pro is BS - Lets say your choices are Duke, UVA , Penn State, BC, ...pick the one where you have the best soccer fit. All provide decent educations. No different if your choices are Villanova,Rutgers, Penn State etc..

[quote=Anonymous]Pick the school with the best educational fit for your child (major/affordability/internship/career vocation). Chances are they will not go on and play after college for a million reasons. Body goes out, reality sets in and basically they don't want to become a trainer when they wake up and their playing days are over.. If the end goal is to stay with soccer and become a trainer, then that's great. However, the guys who come from abroad are making a very good living in America, selling the dream to us. It was great for them to leave their country to come to this beautiful country and make a living and do well. Not sure it works the other way around. Also let's not forget about injuries! Pick the school....

playing after college has ZERO to do with it. let me ask you this. Why, on a soccer forum, would the quality of soccer not be the deciding factor among a range of schools that satisfy your academic need? its a pretty basic concept. too many people trot out what you just said. int eh extreme, no one is suggesting you choose Buffalo to play soccer over say Duke with all other things being equal.

The real choices usually come down to schools that are in similar categories and if thats what you are faced with then soccer should probably be the deciding factor if you care about it.

If not, then i would question why you devoted so much time to it.

this false narrative that a kid going to a top soccer school must be sacrificing education and must be focused on going pro is BS - Lets say your choices are Duke, UVA , Penn State, BC, ...pick the one where you have the best soccer fit. All provide decent educations. No different if your choices are Villanova,Rutgers, Penn State etc..

Good post, well thought out and open to interpretation. For 99.5% of the players this dilemma is not an issue when you look at those players in our area who are committed to these elite schools, ie. Duke, UVA, Penn State, BC, etc. The vast majority have choices below the top 20 in the country or outside the P5 Conferences. That being the case (here is the most difficult part) being realistic about where you fit in both academically as well as playing soccer. To pick a school based on the criteria of just soccer is a disaster waiting to happen entering your freshman year where the majority of freshman either sit or have limited playing time. If you pick a program for a highly competitive team the chances of you playing right away is minimal. What happens if you do not like the campus, the other students, your area of study is not strong at that university? That all comes into play. That is why the smart colleges coaches ask the most important question to a recruit, “If you get hurt or do not play to your liking will you want to stay in this college”. Both my daughters answered that question to the satisfaction of the college coach and never looked back on there choices. Use soccer to get into a college that best suits your education and then enjoying the soccer experience will work itself out.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #723891 06/22/19 06:52 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Not Sue (don't know who Sue is) and not trying to stir things up. Just asking a legitimate question. For the last 2 months all I've heard is how much better EDP is going to be for my kid, but it doesn't look like that's really the case. What gives?

Do your own research, you will never get an unbiased opinion on a board like this.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #723901 06/23/19 07:57 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Do your own research, you will never get an unbiased opinion on a board like this.

What a player gets out of a team or a league is completely individualized. EDP has many levels and varying team quality within each level. Whoever her coach is and what she learns from him/her matters too, not just the league the team plays in.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #723903 06/23/19 09:57 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

What a player gets out of a team or a league is completely individualized. EDP has many levels and varying team quality within each level. Whoever her coach is and what she learns from him/her matters too, not just the league the team plays in.

Great answer and it’s the key to picking what level of soccer is best for the player. Parents just don’t get it and never ask there daughter there thoughts. They make it either a social event about themselves or about there expectations for the player and want her to play in a higher league that is more than the player wants or capable of playing.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #723904 06/23/19 10:05 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I tried doing my own research, that's why I'm a little tweaked and feel like the club is BS-Ing me. My kid's team beat the snot out of an EDP team from a club that also fields an NPL team. The EDP team was very, very weak, meanwhile the NPL team was comparable the the NPL champions and another very good team in the playoffs. So I thought that was weird because I kept hearing that edp was better. When I checked out another age group, it was the same thing. They beat the EDP teams pretty handily, but lost or tied (won on PKs) the NPL teams. And these are considered top EDP teams that we're not even going to play in the EDP conference we're in. I'm just trying to figure out the logic of moving to EDP if the competition isn't as strong and why do people keep saying it's better when the numbers say it isn't.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #723905 06/23/19 11:55 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Here is more research for you to do in solving this dilemma. How about sitting down with your daughter and asking her about her thoughts about next season. Is she happy about how the current season ended? Does she like playing on her team? Does she like playing with her teammates? Her coach/trainer? Does she want to play with this team again in the Fall. If the answer to these questions is yes then why does it matter if it’s EDP or NPL? Very simple solution. If the parent is the deciding factor then it gets complicated. Where the player plays should be based on the level and commitment of there athletic abilities and where they are the best fit. If she is happy to the above questions who cares what league the team plays in as long as she is happy and wants to continue to play soccer.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #723908 06/23/19 01:14 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Here is more research for you to do in solving this dilemma. How about sitting down with your daughter and asking her about her thoughts about next season. Is she happy about how the current season ended? Does she like playing on her team? Does she like playing with her teammates? Her coach/trainer? Does she want to play with this team again in the Fall. If the answer to these questions is yes then why does it matter if it’s EDP or NPL? Very simple solution. If the parent is the deciding factor then it gets complicated. Where the player plays should be based on the level and commitment of there athletic abilities and where they are the best fit. If she is happy to the above questions who cares what league the team plays in as long as she is happy and wants to continue to play soccer.

Yeah but she'd be happy eating coco puffs and ice cream for dinner every night, so I should just let her do that?
Yeah she likes her team, but has friends on other teams too. Her team was good in NPL, but how does she grow as a player if she drops down into a league where they're pounding teams week in and week out? She will not be happy playing under those circumstances, and yes we've discussed it. While she's still at the age where she likes medals and trophies, she's beginning to appreciate the difference between succeeding against a challenging team and just racking up goals against weak competition. She prefers the former. That's why I'm trying to gather some opinions bc the numbers aren't adding up to the company line of EDP is better.

Like Reply Quote
Larry Miller #723909 06/23/19 01:27 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
World Class

Every year World Class cuts New Jersey players without notification. The annual WC "radio silent" treatment, incumbent ECNL, ECNL-RL (NPL) boys and girls on all teams including top 05&06G teams are simply left out without so much as a phone call. Players in the programs for 4 or 5 years are cut by silent treatment and kids from Orangetown and Rockland NY are added every year.

NON-RESIDENT POLICY - WC has to pay a fee. (Shhhhh) Don't let this out.
https://www.orangetown.com/wp-conte...REEMENT_JAN_2016__DRAFT__no_markup-1.pdf

https://www.lohud.com/story/news/lo...r-turf-battle-recreation-youth/26665533/

A Tax Watch investigation explored the unusual business arrangement between the Mighty Midgets and World Class Soccer Camp — the Midgets' IRS filings and the close ties between the Midgets and town leadership.
•World Class Soccer Camp gets free field time on the taxpayer-supported town of Orangetown fields, while other private organizations pay a fee.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #723910 06/23/19 03:01 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Yeah but she'd be happy eating coco puffs and ice cream for dinner every night, so I should just let her do that?
Yeah she likes her team, but has friends on other teams too. Her team was good in NPL, but how does she grow as a player if she drops down into a league where they're pounding teams week in and week out? She will not be happy playing under those circumstances, and yes we've discussed it. While she's still at the age where she likes medals and trophies, she's beginning to appreciate the difference between succeeding against a challenging team and just racking up goals against weak competition. She prefers the former. That's why I'm trying to gather some opinions bc the numbers aren't adding up to the company line of EDP is better.

If she is still young enough to enjoys medals & trophies then do not worry about leagues and go to a LIFC tryout. See if that is her speed going forward.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #723911 06/23/19 03:40 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
RE: World Class

New Jersey Parents should know that OMM is paying a fee to Orangeburg for out of locality, town, state players. Naturally WC wants to keep as much of the fee as possible therefore rosters maybe based on residency rather then merit.
Similar to NJ kids attending a SUNY I guess we could say ?

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #723912 06/23/19 03:42 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
EDP is not a drop down from NPL. Over the last few years, NPL really became a weak league overall. The top teams were still pretty good but the falloff was tremendous. Depending on the age group, Edp/USYS has some really good teams/clubs. Take South Shore Select from Massachusetts for example, many of their teams dominate ECNL teams. So you really need to look at your specific age group and the potential league top to bottom

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #723913 06/23/19 04:04 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
EDP is not a drop down from NPL. Over the last few years, NPL really became a weak league overall. The top teams were still pretty good but the falloff was tremendous. Depending on the age group, Edp/USYS has some really good teams/clubs. Take South Shore Select for example, many of their teams dominate ECNL teams. So you really need to look at your specific age group and the potential league top to bottom

South Shore Select is moving to GDA next year. So is STA and the bulk of the current players from the NJ Stallions. There are going to be very, very few strong teams left in EDP next year-even fewer in club v club.
Do you research

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #723914 06/23/19 04:29 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
EDP is not a drop down from NPL. Over the last few years, NPL really became a weak league overall. The top teams were still pretty good but the falloff was tremendous. Depending on the age group, Edp/USYS has some really good teams/clubs. Take South Shore Select from Massachusetts for example, many of their teams dominate ECNL teams. So you really need to look at your specific age group and the potential league top to bottom

Umm, South Shore Select plays NPL so I'm not sure why you're using them as an example of an EDP team. And btw, they are playing in GDA next year. You should stop posting bc you don't know anything. Thanks!

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #723924 06/23/19 08:57 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

WC 06G ECNL Of the 7 girls cut 5 are from NJ.

https://www.orangetown.com

The town recently negotiated for OMM to take over all costs related to the soccer complex and pay a portion of all nonresident fees to the town, amounting to about $100,000 per year.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #723926 06/23/19 09:36 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

WC 06G ECNL Of the 7 girls cut 5 are from NJ.

https://www.orangetown.com

The town recently negotiated for OMM to take over all costs related to the soccer complex and pay a portion of all nonresident fees to the town, amounting to about $100,000 per year.

Like Reply Quote
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click Here!