NY and Atlanta Win, Red Bulls Don't Advance In Supporters Shield Race

The hot race between the Red Bulls and Atlanta continues in a battle to see which side will finish ahead in the MLS Eastern Conference regular season and Supporters Shield.

New York and Atlanta both have two games remaining in their season before the playoffs begin. Atlanta currently sits at the top of the Eastern Conference table just two points ahead of the Red Bulls.

New York Red Bulls 3, San Jose Earthquakes 1
MLS Regular Season Match 32
Saturday, October 6, 2018 - 10:30 p.m. ET
Avaya Stadium | San Jose, Calif.

Scoring Summary: 
NY - Alex Muyl 3 (unassisted) 29'
NY - Bradley Wright-Phillips 20 (unassisted) 32'
NY - Aaron Long 3 (Parker, Rzatkowski) 50'
SJ - Chris Wondolowski 10 (Jungwirth) 83'

Misconduct Summary:
NY - Cristian Casseres, Jr. (caution, unsporting behavior) 80'

New York Red Bulls: Luis Robles ©; Aaron Long, Michael Amir Murillo, Tim Parker, Kemar Lawrence, Sean Davis, Kaku, Marc Rzatkowski (Connor Lade, 81'), Alex Muyl (Cristian Casseres Jr, 76'), Derrick Etienne, Jr. (Andreas Ivan, 67'), Bradley Wright-Phillips

TOTAL SHOTS: 19; SHOTS ON GOAL: 7; FOULS: 17; OFFSIDE: 2; CORNER KICKS: 7; SAVES: 1

San Jose Earthquakes: James Marcinkowski; Florian Jungwirth, Harold Cummings, Jimmy Ockford, Nick Lima, Anibal Godoy, Jackson Yueill (Eric Calvillo, 74'), Magnus Eriksson (Dominic Oduro, 81'), Tommy Thompson, Valeri Qazaishvili (Chris Wondolowski, 54'), Danny Hoesen

TOTAL SHOTS: 10; SHOTS ON GOAL: 2; FOULS: 8; OFFSIDE: 3; CORNER KICKS: 8; SAVES: 4

Referee: Baldomero Toledo
Assistant Referees: Mike Rottersman, Frank Anderson
4th Official: Daniel Radford
VAR: Rosendo Mendoza

Attendance: 17,241

Two early first-half goals helped the New York Red Bulls (20-7-5, 65 pts) defeat the San Jose Earthquakes (4-20-8, 20 pts), 3-1 on Saturday night at Avaya Stadium. New York remained just one point back of Atlanta for the Supporters' Shield and Eastern Conference lead.
New York became the 10th franchise in league history to record 20 wins in a season and the second club in MLS history to reach 300 franchise wins.
The Red Bulls earned their first win in San Jose since 2003.
Alex Muyl cashed in his third goal of the season off of a Michael Amir Murillo rebound in front of the net to put New York up 1-0 in the 29th minute.
Minutes later on a set piece, Bradley Wright-Phillips picked up his own rebound off the post to double the Red Bulls lead, 2-0 in the 32nd minute.
Early on in the second half, Marc Rzatkowski whipped in his corner kick towards the top of the 18-yard box where Tim Parker used a nifty heel-flick towards Aaron Long. Long headed in his third of the season underneath the cross bar to give New York a 3-0 lead in 50th minute.
San Jose's Chris Wondolowski moved within one goal of Landon Donovan's all-time scoring mark in the 83rd minute to cut the deficit to two, 3-1.
Muyl tied his career best with his third goal of the season. He has tallied a point in four of the last six matches (1G/3A).
Wright-Phillips scored his 20th goal of the season to become the first player in league history with three seasons of 20-plus goals. He raised his career league total to 106 and 124 across all competitions.
Long recorded his third goal of the season. All four of his league goals have come via header.
Captain Luis Robles recorded one save to raise his career wins to 99.
Head coach Chris Armas tallied his 10th win as Red Bulls manager in just his 17thmatch at the helm.
The Red Bulls are now 27-16-11 all-time in the month of October. New York has scored 91 goals while allowing 68 during the tenth month of the year.
New York completes their two-match roadtrip at Philadelphia on Saturday, Oct. 21. Coverage begins at 3:00 p.m. ET on MSG, MSG GO and New York Red Bulls Radio in English on TuneIn.

Quote sheet courtesy of San Jose Earthquakes Communications

New York Red Bulls Head Coach Chris Armas

On the win:

“It’s a great road win. Any win these days, this time of year is important and what we feel best about is that we came out and we pushed the game from the start and even the last few road games we let some points slip, maybe didn’t approach it with the right mentality so we feel good about the way we came out and took care of business in the first half.”

On if the team was pressing as hard in the second half:

“Yeah, I mean the message was to keep the foot to the pedal. We knew that they would throw a lot at us. It’s always the plan, it’s always difficult on the road when teams push and we can’t control things up the field, let’s say. They pushed and we knew it was going to be that coming into it, but in the first half we really put it out of reach.”

On if Tim Parker should have more of an attacking role after his performance:

“Listen, nothing surprises me with these guys, they’re great.

On the message he gave to the guys before the game:

“We don’t watch their whole season but we watch especially recently with Steve [Ralston] in charge. The team has performed well. They’re dangerous, we scouted them closely so we know that they have dangerous attackers. We thought it would look like a 4-1-4-1. Up the field they have guys who can take people on, they have guys who can cause trouble. If we weren’t on top of things, it could be dangerous; as most road games are. In our league, you can’t come out if you’re not ready to play.”

On how important it is to fight for the Supporters’ Shield:

“We genuinely are taking it one game at a time but it’s no secret. We watched Atlanta [United FC] play earlier and we know that they picked up three points. To keep up with that we had to get a result. The guys did. The approach, the mentality, was exactly what we hoped for and it’s important. Winning games and going after trophies is important and we put ourselves in a good spot so we’ve said it. There are a couple trophies left and the Supporters’ Shield is the first one.” 

On Daniel Royer’s injury status:

“It was close. He could’ve played this game. He just has a knock, he took a knock and it’s been important for us for him and Tyler [Adams] to managed this time of year. We like our roster, we think we have a deep roster and it’s important to see some other guys to see how we can rely on some other guys in the playoffs so Daniel is going to ready for training as soon as we get back.”

On the depth of the roster:

“What they do best is play against the ball. They run, they chase, they understand where to be positionally, and that gives them the chance to be out there. Each guys gives a little something different. Alex still has a will to win and makes things happen. He shows up in the right spots at the right time, and he’s shown that now a few times. Derrick put himself in a number of spots. He hit the cross bar, he’s a guy that can stretch the backline. Would love to see him get a few, you know. He’s knocking on the door and that’s why he’s earned those minutes.”

On Marc Rzatkowksi:

“He’s been out there all year for us. He’s important for us and I would say that he is weapon up the field. One of the first games I was in charge he scored two goals off the bench. Two gorgeous goals. It’s why he’s on every set piece. He’s got a great left foot and he plays with a lot of courage. He’s another guy that plays against the ball. He steps to plays, he’s hard to play against, and he can play with Tyler, he can play with Sean, he can play with all three that we have.”

New York Red Bulls Forward Bradley Wright-Phillips

On the team’s high press in the first half:

“Not just the first half. I would say the first 60 minutes was good. That’s what we came up here to do. I think we need to put them in a game especially after last game with how good our performance was against Atlanta, we wanted to carry on from there and I think we did that for the most part. Obviously, being 3-0 up, with a team at home, they got some good players and we rode the wave.”

On Chris Wondolowski getting close to breaking the all-time MLS goal-scoring record:

“Wondo is a legend. I’ve had the pleasure of meeting him a couple of times and I’ve watched a lot of his goals; I’m happy for him, he’s done well. Massive accomplishment in this league. It goes without saying. Everyone knows that he’s a good player and a great striker.”

On being the first MLS player to score 20 or more goals in three seasons:

“It’s not what you think about, especially around this time. Coming out to play and you just try to get in a good rhythm and be difficult to beat.”

On his goal being called spectacular:

“It was? I wanted the header to go in. Does that count as my assist? I was just trying to get in a decent position in the box and get my head on something. It hit the post and came back to me. That’s not really normal. I just tried to get it on target really.”

On how they were able to win:

“I think it was the way we play. We press high up the field and when we do it, we can turn the ball over in dangerous places. It’s not just me, it gives a chance for our front four to get on the end of some decent plays … That’s how we’re dangerous. We don’t play like the other teams that like to pass out the back and have this long passing rhythm. We try to upset the teams defensively and get our chances from there.”

On how important it is to keep on pace with Atlanta United FC for the Supporters’ Shield:

“Let’s be real, they’re in the driver’s seat. It’s up to them. All we can do is make it difficult which is what we’re trying to do. Just make it go until the end.”

New York Red Bulls midfielder Alex Muyl

On scoring:

“Yeah, of course. It feels good to score and for us to get a victory on the road. The league’s kind of up in the air for us right now, but to get three points here is big and we have to keep going the next two games.”

On the team’s ability to press hard in both halves:

“I think in the second half, they got some of the momentum and that’s natural when a team’s down three goals at home; they’re going to push very hard. Luckily we were able to soak up most of that pressure, but for us, we want to make sure we can stay on the front foot and hopefully next time be the aggressors.”

On starting fast on the road:

“Yeah, we had a great start which is important. The mentality was really good from the guys. This kind of game, if it drags on, can become kind of iffy and we were able to put two in the first and a third one early in the second, so that’s big for us when we’re on the road.”

NEW YORK RED BULLS DEFENDER AARON LONG

On the goal:

“It was great service. Tim [Parker] flicked it on, and I was lucky to get my head on it there. A little center-back connection, and I did the BWP celebration to honor him.”

On practicing the celebration:

“Yeah, definitely. We do it in training. We play a shooting game in training and after I score I usually do it. It kind of came natural there.”

On the defensive performance:

“We really wanted the shutout. We talked about it at halftime. It was first and foremost on our minds, and I think they got the best of us in the second half a little bit there. We were under a lot of pressure I think, and it’s a goal we are not happy giving up. Wondo [Chris Wondolowski] is a great player, and he finds the space, so congratulations to him.”

On the road win:

“It is always nice coming on the road and being able to play your game. A lot of times, they are setting the tone, it’s them who is putting us under pressure, but tonight it was definitely our game from the beginning so it felt really good.”

On Wondolowski’s record chase:

“We are aware of it. We talked about it at halftime as well, saying ‘if Wondo comes on, we’ve got to watch him.’ He is a great goal scorer, and great goal scorers score goals. Congratulations to him.”

On changing the team’s tactics for road matches:

“It is always good being able to change your tactics to other team’s styles. Being the Red Bulls, we are very proud of what we do, so when we go places, we want to impose our style if we can. If at halftime it is not working, and we need to make changes, we have got to be versatile, but coming into the game we wanted to impose our style definitely.”

On coming to San Jose after the win against Atlanta:

“We talked about it. We talked about how after big games and big wins it is easy to take your foot off the pedal, so we talked about it before the game. We came out and we were on fire from the beginning.”

SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES INTERIM HEAD COACH STEVE RALSTON

On the match:

“They are a very good team. They are in the Supporters’ Shield race for a reason: they are really good. They were better than us tonight. They were better on the field and better coaching. Obviously, I think I could have done some things differently. We should not have been surprised. We talked about it all week that they were going to press, and we played right into it. We didn’t turn around enough and we have got to do better.”

On what went wrong:

“Early on, we tried to play too many short balls through the midfield. They are really good at high pressing and we played right into their hands. I felt that we could have turned them around more. Maybe we could have gone with two forwards. In the second half we did that, and we played much better.”

On the set piece goals:

“First of all, maybe on the first one, I don’t know if we have to foul there to give them that opportunity. We have conceded four or five in the last three games I think. Five goals in the last three games have been set pieces, and that’s a problem. Obviously, we have to do better. We play a bit of a zone, so it’s maybe guys not attacking the ball well enough, or guys on the outside of the zone not blocking guys and giving them a free run. It’s a problem. It’s hard enough in this league to win games, and when you give up set pieces like this in every game, it’s hard. On saying that, we scored on a set piece as well.”

On starting Danny Hoesen over Chris Wondolowski:

“I want him to get the record, but I also have to coach the team and try to juggle and balance 20-something guys. I wanted to play the same shape we have been playing recently, and I wanted to give Danny [Hoesen] a game because I felt that they were going to high press. I thought with Danny’s speed that maybe he could get in behind them a little bit better. Wondo [Chris Wondolowksi] is going to play again in these next couple of games and get more chances to score.”

SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES FORWARD CHRIS WONDOLOWSKI

On getting closer to the MLS goal-scoring record:

“Yeah, it’s cool just because it’s there, it’s tangible, but it’s so frustrating losing these games, especially at home in front of these fans. To hear them all night, still cheering, still backing us is pretty special and they deserve better right now.”

On the difficulty of coming in as a substitute:

“I think that it’s a role that I’m starting to be better at. I’m used to playing 90 minutes and going for that marathon and sometimes when you come on as a sub, you fit the 90 minutes in those five minutes and you get more tired than the guys. It’s more spacing yourself out, but still using energy, wanting to bring energy off the bench.”

On goal No. 144:

“What a ball by Flo [Florian Jungwirth]. I thought Florian served in a great ball, good service. I believe [Anibal] Godoy got fouled. Good build-up to get there. It was something that we’ve been working on. Me and Godoy had different runs and he helped me out and I was able to finish it.”

On nine straight seasons of 10+ goals:

“To be honest, I know there’s that big number that everyone keeps asking about, but to be honest, this is the one I really wanted. Obviously, I want to get a couple more, but to have double-digit goals means a lot right now and I’m hoping to have one again next year. It’s pretty cool. It shows how good my teammates have been and also a little luck to stay healthy, but I appreciate the many teammates I’ve had through those nine years.”

SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES MIDFIELDER ERIC CALVILLO

On making his MLS debut:

“It’s a dream come true of course. I’ve been waiting the whole year for the opportunity and I’m glad I got it. Hopefully I did my part and proved to the coaches that I deserve to continue playing and hopefully by next season, I’ll take my opportunity again and continue on from there.”

On whether he felt he acclimated quickly to the pace of play:

“Yeah. Honestly, I went in with a lot of confidence, not really thinking too much about it. I had some butterflies here and there, but I just knew I needed to get on the ball as quick as possible and play a simple pass to build my confidence up. I’ve done it in the past and I’m going to continue doing that and hopefully I can continue striving.”