Red Bulls Up 11 v 9, But Can Only Settle 1-1 vs NYC FC

Shows you how you (NYC FC) can stay compact and hold off an opponent playing on a junior sized soccer field.

www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/08/22/new-york-red-bulls-lured-complacency-rivalry-draw-vs-nycfc

New York Red Bulls 1, NYCFC 1
MLS Regular Season Match 25
Wednesday, August 22, 2018 - 7 p.m. ET
Yankee Stadium | Bronx, N.Y.

Scoring Summary:
NY - Bradley Wright-Phillips 16 (Royer, Adams) 37'
NYC - David Villa 10 (Berget, Moralez) 52'

Misconduct Summary:
NYC - Eloi Amagat (ejection, serious foul) 40'
NY - Sean Davis (caution, unsporting behavior) 44'
NYC - Anton Tinnerholm (caution, unsporting behavior) 61'
NY - Connor Lade (caution, unsporting behavior) 72'
NYC - Ebenezer Ofori (ejection, serious foul) 73'
NYC - David Villa (caution, dissent) 74'
NY - Kemar Lawrence (caution, unsporting behavior) 77'
NY - Andreas Ivan (caution, unsporting behavior) 82'

New York Red Bulls: Luis Robles ©; Connor Lade (Alex Muyl, 90'+1'), Tim Parker, Aaron Long, Kemar Lawrence, Sean Davis (Andreas Ivan, 68'), Tyler Adams, Daniel Royer, Kaku, Marc Rzatkowski (Derrick Etienne, Jr., 83'), Bradley Wright-Phillips

TOTAL SHOTS: 17; SHOTS ON GOAL: 6; FOULS: 14; OFFSIDE: 3; CORNER KICKS: 5; SAVES: 1

NYCFC: Sean Johnson; Anton Tinnerholm, Maxime Chanot, Sebastien Ibeagha, Ben Sweat, Ebenezer Ofori, Alexander Ring, Maxi Moralez, Eloi Amagat, David Villa © (Jonathan Lewis, 87'), Ismael Tajouri-Shradi (Jo Inge Berget, HT, Rodney Wallace, 56')

TOTAL SHOTS: 11; SHOTS ON GOAL: 2; FOULS: 17; OFFSIDE: 3; CORNER KICKS: 1; SAVES: 5

Referee: Ted Unkel
Assistant Referees: Adam Wienckowski, Brian Dunn
4th Official: Christopher Penso
VAR: Mark Geiger

Attendance: 30,139

Bradley Wright-Phillips' first-half goal helped the New York Red Bulls (15-6-4, 49 pts) earn a 1-1 draw with NYCFC (14-6-6, 48 pts) on Wednesday night at Yankee Stadium. Wright-Phillips tallied his 200th career goal across all competitions in MLS and in England.

The Red Bulls remained in second place with 49 points in both the Eastern Conference and Supporters' Shield standings, just two points back of Atlanta United FC.

Inside NYCFC's 18-yard box, Tyler Adams sent a pass wide to Daniel Royer, who crossed his pass to the front of the net for Wright-Phillips. BWP redirected the ball to the far post for the 1-0 in the 37th minute.

Following a long ball from midfield by Maxi Moralez, Jo Inge Berget headed the ball to the top of the 18-yard box for David Villa. Villa took one touch and sent home the equalizer in the 52nd minute.

In Wright-Phillips' 200th career appearance across all competitions in MLS, he tallied his 200th career goal across all competitions in both MLS and in England.

Wright-Phillips raised his season total to 16 and his career league-play goals to 102.

Royer has recorded at least one point in the last five matches. Over that stretch, the Austrian winger has tallied five goals and two assists.

Following his two-assist match against Vancouver, Adams followed up with his second-straight match with a secondary assist on BWP's goal.

The Red Bulls have strung together a four-match unbeaten record on the road, owning a 2-0-2 mark.

The Red Bulls are now 41-43-22 all-time in the month of August. New York has scored 176 goals while allowing 166 during the eighth month of the year.

The Red Bulls return to Red Bull Arena for back-to-back matches, beginning with D.C. United on Sunday, Aug. 26. Kickoff is slated for 7 p.m. ET with coverage on FS1, FOX Sports GO and New York Red Bulls Radio in English and Spanish on TuneIn.

New York Red Bulls Head Coach Chris Armas

On what it was about NYCFC tonight that allowed them to get the equalizer against the Red Bulls:

You give them credit for the way they pushed the game in the second half. We would have liked to have put the game a bit more on our terms in the second half because then we went up two guys. Kind of like the first half how we controlled things in many ways. So much of it was going to be to stick to what we were doing, knowing we had the ball a little bit more, but we give them a lot of credit.

On whether he was happy getting the one point:

We're not going to get emotional about this. We went to Vancouver, got a point. We came to New York City where they haven’t lost and got a point. When things were level, we thought we were the better team. That’s that. One point on the road, tough place to play, a Derby match, which they're always interesting. And then there's the other side, we're up two guys and couldn't get the game winner so there will be some initial frustration, but short lived and on to the next one Sunday.

On NYCFC home field advantage:

That factors in. They're good at playing at home. They understand the field. They put a lot into it. They're blocking shots. They're dangerous on the counterattack. Again, last week we get a late goal in Vancouver we didn't get too high, seriously, businesslike and now we won't get too distracted here. It's a good team that we played against tonight and, in some way, there will be more belief and even strength. We felt really good about what we did in the first half.

New York Red Bulls midfielder Sean Dais

Being up two players for most of the match…

I think even at eleven, when they had eleven men I thought we were having a strong game. I think we can be proud of that performance. Credit to Brad for finding another goal, I really thought that was a well worth goal. Then for them to go down to nine men and for us not to find the winner is disappointing for sure, but there are lessons to take from this game and in the long run it'll be worthwhile for us.

What lessons will be taken from this game…

We talked about it a little but I think we should analyze the video to get a better sense of what we can improve on, but I think one of the big things is having a calmness about our approach in the second half and knowing if we are up a man we can control the game with the ball. Having better runs and possession will be really useful for us going forward, like I said having that calmness throughout the team to hold on to that result.

On NYCFC tactics…

No, I think we were anticipating that to be honest, we knew they would try to bypass their midfield a little more now that they were down a man. Berget is a strong player in the air so we were expecting it to be about long balls for them and that's how their goal came.

New York Red Bulls forward Bradley Wright-Phillips

Thoughts on the match...

I don't know if there is a positive. They (NYCFC) got down to nine men at the end and they looked better than us somehow. First off we were good. We controlled the game we were the better team. They go down two men and it all changes. I don't get it. Was not good enough.

Positives from the first half...

Playing a good team away from home and getting the better of it. If there is a positive during the first 45 (minutes) we had the better of them. They are a top team and we looked better for the first half but it wasn't enough.

New York Red Bulls captain Luis Robles

Thoughts on the match...

For us to show what we are capable of doing we have to do it every time we step on the field. There were too many moments when we were not doing that. Whether we want to take responsibility for the lack of finishing. There are a lot of things that we could have done better that we didn’t do. If you want to talk about the energy, they had great energy coming out of the half and we didn't match it so we got punished six minutes in. It’s crazy because they continued even with two men down to get good chances. That’s something we have to look at because we need to improve on. Even though today was a missed opportunity we are going to learn from it. We are going to continue to do better and we are going to continue pushing into the playoffs. Doing everything we can to win the shield and get the top two.

On the bigger picture after scoring points on long road trip...

I think when you break it down like that you can see that certain things were achieved but because within this locker room we have such a high standard that our expectations are so high. It does feel like a letdown. With this I feel like we have a great opportunity to learn, to improve and continue to push forward. We have to keep making progress.

First half vs second half...

I think that’s part of the frustration. When it was 11 vs 11 we were the better team. We put them off the pitch. Yet they go down a man and I don’t know if it was complacency, I don’t know if it was anxiety. I don’t know what it was but I definitely did not make matters any easier when I give up a goal like that. I hold myself to a high standard. If I make that save, it’s a different story.