Red Bulls vs.Vancouver Whitecaps, Saturday

Winning back-to-back road matches and three of their last four, the New York Red Bulls (15-6-2, 47 pts) continue their three-match road trip at Vancouver Whitecaps FC (9-9-6, 33 pts) on Saturday at BC Place. Kickoff is slated for 7 p.m. ET with coverage on MSG, MSG GO and New York Red Bulls Radio in English and Spanish.

Coverage of Saturday's match on MSG begins at 6:30 p.m. with Red Bulls Game Night. Steve Cangialosi will have the primary play-by-play responsibilities and will be alongside Shep Messing and Michelle Gingras.

New York Red Bulls Radio goes live at 6:30 p.m. ET with Honda Countdown to Kickoff, hosted by Matt Harmon. Ernesto Motta will carry the Spanish play-by-play broadcast, beginning at 7 p.m.

Saturday's match will mark just the ninth time that New York and Vancouver square off against one another. The Red Bulls own a modest two-match winning streak against the Whitecaps, earning two clean sheets during the stretch. Saturday's match also features both Tim Parker and Felipe facing off against their old teams. Parker and Felipe both played for the opposite squad from 2015 through 2017.

New York has had a strong run of form, winning back-to-back games and eight of their last 10. During that stretch, the Red Bulls have five multi-goal performances, five clean sheets, and have won three of four road matches.

Bradley Wright-Phillips set another MLS record as he became the first player in league history to record five-straight seasons of at least 15 goals or more. Wright-Phillips set the record with his 27th career game-winning goal against the Chicago Fire. BWP moved into a tie for ninth all-time in league history for game-winning goals.
All-Time Series: Vancouver leads, 3-2-2
At Vancouver: Series tied, 1-1-2

• Saturday’s match will mark just the ninth time that New York and Vancouver square off against one another. The Red Bulls own a modest two-match winning streak against the Whitecaps, earning two clean sheets during the stretch. Saturday’s match also features both Tim Parker and Felipe facing off against their old teams. Parker and Felipe both played for the opposite squad from 2015 through 2017.

• New York has had a strong run of form, winning back-to-back games and eight of their last 10. During that stretch, the Red Bulls have five multi-goal performances, five clean sheets, and have won three of four road matches.

• Bradley Wright-Phillips set another MLS record as he became the first player in league history to record five-straight seasons of at least 15 goals or more. Wright-Phillips set the record with his 27th career game-winning goal against the Chicago Fire. BWP moved into a tie for ninth all-time in league history for game-winning goals.

Chris Armas

On scouting report on Vancouver Whitecaps…

Vancouver is a good team, they’re especially good at home and they’ve always given us problems. Typically known stingy defensively, comfortable in a deeper block defensively and then that sets up for a counterattack, which they’re number one in the league in counterattacks and transitions, so it’s not just, I mean it is by design but they can sit back, be organized, disciplined, and catch you going the other way.

On success on the road this season…

I think one of the reasons we’ve been successful on the road got to give credit to the guys, their mentality–sticking to their tactics and understanding that it’s not going to be perfect on the road, lots of times you’re not going to have the ball, lots of times there’s home field advantage to the other team. Yeah, so the guys get the credit for that–that they’re up for that challenge because it’s never an easy one. It’s easy for us in the sidelines or in halftime to say “Guys, listen, this is what you have to do.” It’s difficult, it is, you look around the league at how difficult it is to get results, not even wins. But I would say, and I’ve said this before, that the experiences in Champions League, the runs in Open Cup where it’s difficult environments, especially in Champions League, I think have paid dividends in helping up to grow in those moments and having a better understating.

Aaron Long

On the success on road games this year…

Yeah, I think a big thing is just grinding it out. We that once we get a goal we know how to pack it in, we know how to grind our results really. Of course, we always have chances to score and we have chances, but we’re very fortunate this year in getting a lot of shutouts so I think that’s our pride and that’s first and foremost on the road for sure.

On the success of the defense this season…

Yeah, I think it all goes to our tactics, really, you know how hard we press up the field makes it so hard for them to play good balls and then once it does get to our end we have a lot of guys there. They put out fire so I think that’s the biggest thing.

Tim Parker

On excitement to return to Vancouver…

I’m excited, you know it’s a place where I started my career so giving me the opportunity obviously to play professional soccer so it’s going to be nice to go back and see some old friends and teammates. 

On memories from time in Vancouver Whitecaps…

I mean we won a Championship there, we won the Canadian Championship when I was in Vancouver–that’s a big moment for me because it’s the first trophy I won as a professional, and then just I think growing, growing not only as a person but as a player as well in Vancouver. It was big for me to get out of New York at the time, and I’m glad I did and glad I got to grow there.

Daniel Royer

On success in road games this year…

I think our defense is the key. It’s great having those guys in the back. When you see the entire season, there’s a lot of guys who can put out fires and they’re really compact and really tough to play against. I mean not only the defenders, I think in general as a team we’re more compact than before, maybe. When we have a good day of pressing, it’s really hard to play through us, so I think it’s pretty hard for the opponents to find solutions and yeah, we’re just good at the moment and yeah, we always know that the other side, the flip side, we can create chances and score and so we get close results on the road, but most of the time good results.

On it being tougher to prepare for a team in a different conference that you don’t play too often…

No, I don’t think so. It’s three points anyways. When you go to Vancouver, a lot of the adjustments like the long flight and the time difference and everything, but that’s also about mentality, and I think we always have a good mentality and a great team spirit so no matter where we go, either Eastern or Western, it’s always about three points and that’s what we’re aiming for.