BWP Gets #101, Red Bulls Get The Win, 1-0 vs Chicago

Bradley Wright-Phillips, the New York Red Bulls' English striker is a consistent goal scorer -- he's scored at least 15 goals in each of the last five MLS seasons. BWP on July 25 scored his 100th MLS goal becoming the fastest player in MLS history to score 100 goals.

www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/08/12/a...urn-chicago-after-new-york-red-bulls-win

New York Red Bulls 1, Chicago Fire 0
MLS Regular Season Match 23
Saturday, August 11, 2018 - 8:30 p.m. ET
Toyota Park | Bridgeview, Ill.

Box Score: Red Bulls 1, Fire 0

Scoring Summary:
NY - Bradley Wright-Phillips 15 (Danny Royer) 55'

Misconduct Summary:
CHI - Brandt Bronico (caution, dissent) 11'
CHI - Dax McCarty (caution, foul) 42'
NY - Marc Rzatkowski (caution, foul) 66'
NY - Danny Royer (caution, foul) 74'
NY - Alex Muyl (caution, foul) 76'
NY - Michael Amir Murillo (caution, foul) 89'

New York Red Bulls: Luis Robles ©; Michael Amir Murillo, Tim Parker, Aaron Long, Kemar Lawrence, Sean Davis, Tyler Adams, Marc Rzatkowski (Andreas Ivan, 85'), Daniel Royer (Connor Lade, 76'), Kaku (Alex Muyl, 70'), Bradley Wright-Phillips

TOTAL SHOTS: 7; SHOTS ON GOAL: 3; FOULS: 9; OFFSIDE: 5; CORNER KICKS: 2; SAVES: 1

Chicago Fire: Richard Sanchez; Johan Kappelhof, Bastian Schweinsteiger, Brandon Vincent, Nico Hasler, Dax McCarty, Drew Connor, Jorge Corrales, Brandt Bronico (Aleksandar Katai, 58'), Raheem Edwards (Nemanja Nikolic, 61'), Luis Solignac (Michael De Leeuw, 73')

TOTAL SHOTS: 6; SHOTS ON GOAL: 1; FOULS:18; OFFSIDE: 7; CORNER KICKS: 5; SAVES: 2

Referee: Nima Saghafi
Assistant Referees: Corey Parker, Gianni Facchini
4th Official: Robert Sibiga
VAR: Matt Franz

Bradley Wright-Phillips scored his 15th goal of the season to lead the Red Bulls (15-6-2, 47 pts) to victory over the Chicago Fire on Saturday evening at Toyota Park in Bridgeview, Ill.

With the win, the Red Bulls move into second place in the MLS Eastern Conference and Supporters' Shield standings, just one point behind Atlanta United FC.

The Red Bulls have won two straight and eight of their last 10 MLS matches.

The Red Bulls lead MLS with 15 wins. The 15th win of the season surpasses last year's season win total, and puts the Red Bulls just three wins off of the franchise-record 18 wins (2015) with 11 games to play.

New York also improves to 6-4-1 on the road this season, the second-best road record in MLS.

BWP earned his 101st MLS regular season goal in the 55th minute. The play started with Tyler Adams causing a turnover in the final third and getting the ball to Danny Royer, who played a pass into space for BWP to run onto and finish for the game-winner.

Chris Armas, who played a decade with the Chicago Fire, improves to 5-2-0 as head coach of the Red Bulls.

Romanian winger Andreas Ivan, who signed during the summer transfer window, made his Red Bulls debut in the 85th minute, replacing Marc Rzatkowski.

Luis Robles had to make just one save to earn his eighth shutout of the season. Robles made a leaping, one-handed save to deny Nemanja Nikolic in the second half.

The Red Bulls are now 41-43-20 all-time in the month of August. New York has scored 173 goals while allowing 163 during the eighth month of the year.

The Red Bulls road trip continues next week with a trip to Vancouver to take on the Whitecaps on Saturday, August 11. Kickoff is set for 7 p.m. ET with coverage on MSG, MSG GO and New York Red Bulls Radio in English and Spanish on TuneIn.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Post-game quotes from Head Coach Chris Armas, striker Bradley Wright-Phillips and goalkeeper Luis Robles courtesy of Chicago Fire communications:

New York Red Bulls Head Coach Chris Armas

On the slow start and second half adjustments:

"In the first half, Chicago is a team when you look at their first 30 minutes of games, they pretty much score as much as they’ve given up. That is when they bring their best and they gave us a lot to handle. We were hoping to keep things under control and in control of spaces, which we thought we did. I think in the first half we limited them to two shots. Towards the end of the first half, we started picking up and getting a little rhythm and held on to the ball a little bit more and we are counter pressing and it started looking a little bit more like us. At halftime we again, we start out talking about some of the frustrations we have on the road. It looks like this sometimes. We talked a little bit about adjustments up the field with some spacing and getting Marc [Rzatkowski] and Danny [Royer] involved a little bit more. Playing forward a little bit more. Again trying to play quicker and with a sort of rhythm we were hoping to get. And then we addressed the balls behind issue which we could see from the beginning of the game trying to expose us behind and they kept exposing us behind somewhat now. Every time they played one of those it looked scary. In the end, I think they had one shot on goal all night but it's challenging."

On getting wins on the road:

"I think it shows we are a real team committed to defending starting with Bradley Wright-Phillips. It shows that the team has a good mentality and listen, it's understanding what road games look like. Still we can improve in that area, and again, getting frustrated. Listen, I think overall the group understands the experiences we have been through with U.S. Open Cup, experiences with the Champions League, playing in some tough environments, I think has helped this team understand that those games maybe feel like."

On what he sees in the Fire as an opposing head coach:

"I maintain what I thought about them. They're a well-coached team. I believe that. They're not easy to break down, they're organized, they play with fight. They've had to deal with injuries this year. In our league, there is not much difference sometimes between teams. You go through injuries to some key players on the field, it makes it hard. So to see that they are right there, six points below the red line as they say, that game could have gone any way tonight. I think they're doing a good job over here and have dealt with it, and now coming out of it, you can see they're going to have a healthy roster and make a push to get in the playoffs."

On getting a victory here in Chicago:

"I can't say no, because I don't think about it. Maybe I will at some point. It feels very familiar in this building and so many good memories here. I owe a lot to this organization. I was here when we opened this building so it feels very comfortable, it's hard to explain. I feel so much more satisfied with three points and watching our team go after it the way we did and then again, find a way to win. I think good teams know how to do. I don't have much feeling about beating the old club. I love this club, it's in my heart so maybe that's why I can't really put it into words."

On possibly leapfrogging Atlanta:

"Well, I don't think any of the games since I have been in charge here have been easy. No home or away game has been easy. Which I think is going to be like that. I think certain times you fall behind in games and you lose and you can pull away in some days. I've been around long enough to know that every game is difficult and every team poses trouble for us. There are no easy games with this league and certainly not in my first seven games."

New York Red Bulls Captain and Goalkeeper Luis Robles

On grinding out a win:

"Grinding is really the best word to describe that game, I have to apologize to the spectators that watched that. At the end of the day it says something about a team that can win ugly. That's what we were able to do tonight."

On whether he feels it was important to Chris Armas to get three points:

"It's not just Chris, we have the Chicago Fire east coast coaching staff. We have Tony, we have C.J. Brown, we had Jesse, basically half of your Ring of Fire up there. Every game is important. I think the reason why he wants to downplay it is because Chris is too humble to make it about him. At the end of the day it's going to be about the team and the organization and for us to get three points against a team that's going through some rough times but at the end of the day, when you look at their best 11 they are a tough team to play against. To get a full three points on the road at their place it's a great result for us."

On the smooth transition from Jesse Marsch to Chris Armas:

"It feels like forever ago. I feel like Jesse left ages ago. Part of that has to do with how long Chris has been here since the very beginning. Everyone has come to know Chris and he does a great job. With that being said, what Jesse is doing and the opportunity he has is tremendous and the groundwork he has laid here, the foundation that Chris is able to build off of is also very, very important and can't be overlooked. We are in a good way right now since Chris has been our coach, we have won five out of seven but we also known as we look ahead we have some very tough road matches, conference matches, so getting a full three points tonight was important for us."

New York Red Bulls Forward Bradley Wright-Phillips

On the win:

"As I've said before, credit to a team that can win ugly. They say that's a good team. Today was not the most enjoyable game but the boys stuck with it and defended well. We kept them down to only a few chances and we came out with a win in a tough place."

On what a win like this can do moving forward:

"It helps when on other games on the road when it is getting tough you think back to games like this and what you've done to dig out of the hole. I think we can use this in the future with away games."

On if he thinks this was a game important to Chris Armas:

"Whatever he said to you was probably was true. I think honestly he would not lie about it. It's three points at the end of the day and we want to beat any game we play against and this team is not different."

Last edited by Dave Birnbaum; 08/13/18 09:03 PM.