Fall '20 Scores & Standings:| G-ECNL | G-ECRL | B-ECNL | B-ECRL | EDP | GA | LIJSL | MLS NXT | NCSANJ | WYSL |

Forum Search
Fall 2020
Scores & Standings
Girls Academy League
GA Schedule & Standings
MLS Next Scores & Standings
Scores & Standings
National League Playoffs
2020-21 National Playoffs
EDP 2020/2021
Scores & Standings
WYSL Scores & Standings
Fall '20 Scores & Standings
LIJSL Scores & Standings
Scores & Standings
ENY State Cups 2020-2021
Challenge Cup
NY State Cup
Latest Posts
B2010:U11 Fall 2020/Spring 2021
by Anonymous - 09/25/20 10:06 PM
G2007:U14 Fall 2020/Spring 2021
by Anonymous - 09/25/20 08:51 PM
Stony Brook SC & Atletico FC Merge
by Anonymous - 09/25/20 08:35 PM
BOTN en Espaol
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Heading To Be Banned In U.S. To U-18?
#710854 08/08/18 05:45 PM
Back of THE NET
OP Offline
Back of THE NET

Like Reply Quote
Junior Soccer Advertisements

Re: Heading To Be Banned In U.S. To U-18?
Dave Birnbaum #710855 08/08/18 07:22 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Please yanks, leave our beautiful game alone, you already effed it up by calling it sarker lol.

Like Reply Quote
Dave Birnbaum #710858 08/08/18 08:35 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Great idea. Time to evolve people. More goals will be scored this way.

Like Reply Quote
Dave Birnbaum #710861 08/08/18 09:31 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Not just the US. There is a movement in England as well - for rugby as well as football.

Like Reply Quote
Dave Birnbaum #710867 08/09/18 07:00 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Typical over reaction by mamby pamby liberals, the modern ball is as light as a feather, not exactly the medican type ball we used to play with which would give you a migraine, I can garentee the world will not ban heading, that would completely change the best sport the world has ever seen, so please don't hotdogise, our game, stick to gridiron if you can't hack a bit of contact, what are you going to do when you play other country's, the're just going to play the ball in the air, and score all headers lol.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #710868 08/09/18 07:25 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I can see it for the younger players. But if they don’t start heading the ball this will just be another thing we will be behind in. I’m 50-50 on this one.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #710869 08/09/18 08:17 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Typical over reaction by mamby pamby liberals, the modern ball is as light as a feather, not exactly the medican type ball we used to play with which would give you a migraine, I can garentee the world will not ban heading, that would completely change the best sport the world has ever seen, so please don't hotdogise, our game, stick to gridiron if you can't hack a bit of contact, what are you going to do when you play other country's, the're just going to play the ball in the air, and score all headers lol.

Science argues otherwise. And anyone who uses the phrase "mamby pamby liberals" is sure to be a man of science.

https://cosmosmagazine.com/biology/in-soccer-heading-the-ball-carries-greatest-risk-of-concussion

Like Reply Quote
Dave Birnbaum #710870 08/09/18 08:25 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Wow I watch a lot of rugby, it's funny I've never seen them head the ball, lol

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #710871 08/09/18 09:00 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have no problem banning headers playing high school soccer. Too many players lack the education of properly heading a ball and that is what makes it dangerous. Most high school coaches lack the training to teach heading especially those players who play just for the love of the game and playing in high school with there friends. As far as banning it at the club level or higher is like cutting off an appendage. Heading is such an important part of the game. Header goals off of corner kicks is one of the most exciting goals you can score. Imagine not being able to use a header for crosses or balls into the box? Imagine playing basketball and they change the rules back and not being able to “dunk” the ball as they did during the 60’s.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #710872 08/09/18 09:06 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If you are worried that heading a ball will cause injury, then don't head the ball. If you are concerned that long term exposure to heading the ball will cause injury, then don't play the game.
Changing the game is absolutely ludicrous.

I have advocated eliminating the goal keeper punt at the young age groups (those most vulnerable to head/neck injuries from heading the ball)
The elimination of punting will decrease the heading situations in the younger age groups. And eliminate the real high impact situations altogether.
Kids need to taught how to effectively head the ball at a young age. It is part of the game and it is not dangerous if performed properly and with limited high-impact situations.

Please don't mess with the game. This is most definitely coming from the US. We simply sue everyone if we think we can make a buck off it and to place blame for our own actions. This will force people to make horrible decisions like eliminating heading from the game.

We are ruining american football right now. Don't ruin this.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #710885 08/09/18 11:57 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Cute.

Concussion protocols being amended, added in rugby.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #710890 08/09/18 12:38 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Cute.

Concussion protocols being amended, added in rugby.

Concussion protocols are much different than banning heading or head contact altogether.

Like Reply Quote
Dave Birnbaum #710895 08/09/18 05:38 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Bollocks!

Like Reply Quote
Dave Birnbaum #710902 08/09/18 09:33 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Nonsense. How about teaching the right way to do it. How many coaches have you seen instructing the proper way. I have attended Abby Wambach’s camp, she is probably the best header this country has seen, male or female. Over 70% of her goals were with her head. She said if you do it right it shouldnt hurt at all. She has never suffered an injury due to heading a soccer ball.

Like Reply Quote
Dave Birnbaum #710908 08/10/18 06:50 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Exactly, there's a right way and a wrong way of doing everything, a lot of people while hammering a nail hurt their thumb, so should we ban hammering nails.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #710909 08/10/18 07:45 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Nonsense. How about teaching the right way to do it. How many coaches have you seen instructing the proper way. I have attended Abby Wambach’s camp, she is probably the best header this country has seen, male or female. Over 70% of her goals were with her head. She said if you do it right it shouldnt hurt at all. She has never suffered an injury due to heading a soccer ball.

Let's see if she has dementia at 55.

Like Reply Quote
Dave Birnbaum #710910 08/10/18 07:54 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Dave Birnbaum

It's a doc calling for it, not soccer organizations. It's unlikely to ever happen unless parents start to demand it or pull their kids like they are with football. The primary issue with headers is a single header isn't likely to result in a concussion but is more likely to do silent successive damage over time. Many soccer concussions come from one-time head-to-head blows and there isn't much you can do to prevent that. The ban for younger kids is a good start to protecting kids. An additional step would be no headers off GK punts until maybe age 15. Where ever you set the age to start, it should be mandated that coaches of every level receive quality training in how to teach players. More work should be done teaching kids options to headers like chest trap/drop the ball to your feet.

Like Reply Quote
Dave Birnbaum #710913 08/10/18 08:25 AM
Chief Rocker
Back of THE NET
Chief Rocker
Back of THE NET
I'd like to add a little sauce to the pasta by stating that it is BOTN's position that heading should be banned at the youth level. I would hope this would be implemented without delay. How any parent can see two players going up to head a ball and bang heads doesn't concern them is something I cant comprehend.

I'm Larry.

Like Reply Quote
Larry Miller #710915 08/10/18 08:43 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Larry Miller
I'd like to add a little sauce to the pasta by stating that it is BOTN's position that heading should be banned at the youth level. I would hope this would be implemented without delay. How any parent can see two players going up to head a ball and bang heads doesn't concern them is something I cant comprehend.

I'm Larry.

Sorry, but disagree.
If you ban the goal keeper's punt in youth soccer it accomplishes two things;
1) It eliminates the high impact header completely. Most younger age groups will not have any headers except for "soft touch" situations.
2) Teaches kids to head the ball properly with limited "soft touch" situations.

I think this modification will make the kids better as a result of controlling the ball better, learning how to create from the back instead of running under a long punt, and keeps them safer eliminating the main cause of high impact headers.

In a situation where a kid needs to simply touch the ball forward with a proper header, the elimination of the header will cause the kid what, duck?, move the to side? avoid the ball?

The two player situation is almost exclusively an older player issue. U8, U9, U10s rarely if ever have the kind of contact you describe.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #710926 08/10/18 11:00 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I'm Larry.

Sorry, but disagree.
1) It eliminates the high impact header completely. Most younger age groups will not have any headers except for "soft touch" situations.

I think this modification will make the kids better as a result of controlling the ball better, learning how to create from the back instead of running under a long punt, and keeps them safer eliminating the main cause of high impact headers.

In a situation where a kid needs to simply touch the ball forward with a proper header, the elimination of the header will cause the kid what, duck?, move the to side? avoid the ball?

The two player situation is almost exclusively an older player issue. U8, U9, U10s rarely if ever have the kind of contact you describe.

The issue is not ball to head as much as it is head to head. And really, its not about "teaching the kids the right way" because they will do what they want anyway unless it becomes illegal...I am a referee, and I tell these boys/girls "Straight up guys"....and they still bang heads.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #710940 08/10/18 03:25 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Soccer is not a Sport It is a game, Sorry. Keep Kids Safe....#1 priority.
BTY Better to trap with your chest and play the ball at your feet for continuous development.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #710942 08/10/18 04:30 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I'm Larry.

Sorry, but disagree.

Both my players got bad concussions at U11, as in missed weeks of school concussions. I have no issue waiting until U14 but don't think it should be banned for HS. But it needs to be taught properly, and instruction can start younger in practices and controlled situations. Most coaches have no clue what they're doing.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #710947 08/10/18 06:53 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Soccer is not a Sport It is a game, Sorry. Keep Kids Safe....#1 priority.
BTY Better to trap with your chest and play the ball at your feet for continuous development.

It's not soccer its football.

Like Reply Quote
Dave Birnbaum #710950 08/10/18 07:16 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The issue is not ball to head as much as it is head to head. And really, its not about "teaching the kids the right way" because they will do what they want anyway unless it becomes illegal...I am a referee, and I tell these boys/girls "Straight up guys"....and they still bang heads.

I understand that you think this to be true, but medical studies disagree:

https://cosmosmagazine.com/biology/in-soccer-heading-the-ball-carries-greatest-risk-of-concussion

Like Reply Quote
Dave Birnbaum #710960 08/11/18 07:34 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Oh I see a yank has a study and were all supposed to get in line and follow some mickeymouse study and call it science, typical yank arrogance, trust me,may happen in America, but no chance of changing in real footballing country's, which by the way is the whole world, you've already disadvantaged yourselves with pay too play,now you will never compete in football, but you'll dominate baseball, which definitely is a game not a sport .

Like Reply Quote
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click Here!