Red Bulls Shutout New England Revs 2-0

Saturday at Red Bull Arena, Bradley Wright-Phillips scored his 99th career MLS goal for the Red Bulls. And, by the way, BWP's uniform number happens to be 99.

Any chance he might now request a new uniform number, maybe something like 120 as a target for scoring more goals?

www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/07/21/new-york-red-bulls-2-new-england-revolution-0-2018-mls-match-recap

Scoring Summary: 
NY - Daniel Royer 5 (Rzatkowski) 69'
NY - Bradley Wright-Phillips 13 (Kaku) 80'

Misconduct Summary:
NY - Aaron Long (caution, unsporting behavior) 30'
NY - Kaku (caution, unsporting behavior) 41'
NE - Antonio Mlinar Delamea (caution, unsporting behavior) 58'
NE - Luis Caicedo (caution, unsporting behavior) 59'

New York Red Bulls: Luis Robles ©; Michael Amir Murillo, Tim Parker, Aaron Long (Aurelien Collin, 65'), Kemar Lawrence, Sean Davis, Tyler Adams, Kaku (Derrick Etienne, Jr., 83'), Marc Rzatkowski, Daniel Royer (Alex Muyl, 77'), Bradley Wright-Phillips

TOTAL SHOTS: 9; SHOTS ON GOAL: 3; FOULS: 16; OFFSIDE: 1; CORNER KICKS: 8; SAVES: 1

New England Revolution: Matt Turner; Antonio Mlinar Delamea, Jalil Anibaba, Wilfried Zahibo (Krisztian Nemeth, 79'), Andrew Farrell, Claude Dielna (Brandon Bye, 85'), Diego Fagundez, Luis Caicedo, Cristian Penilla, Juan Agudelo, Teal Bunburry (Kelyn Rowe, 70')

TOTAL SHOTS: 10; SHOTS ON GOAL: 1; FOULS: 14; OFFSIDE: 4; CORNER KICKS: 6; SAVES: 1

Referee: Ismail Elfath
Assistant Referees: Jeffrey Greeson, Adam Garner
4th Official: Rosendo Mendoza
VAR: Jorge Gonzalez

Attendance: 16,027

A late Daniel Royer goal helped the New York Red Bulls (12-5-2, 38 pts) defeat the New England Revolution (7-7-7, 28 pts), 2-0, on Saturday night at Red Bull Arena. The Red Bulls have won back-to-back matches and five of their last six.

New York has captured 25 of the possible 30 points at Red Bull Arena and have outscored their opponents, 25-6.

Marc Rzatkowski, who earned his start after a two-goal performance the match before, set up Royer on a set piece to give the Red Bulls the 1-0 lead in the second half.

With time winding down, Kaku lofted a pass, from outside the box, to Bradley Wright-Phillips, who headed end the insurance goal to the near post in the 80th minute.

The Red Bulls are now 48-39-22 all-time in the month of July. New York has scored 179 goals while allowing 163 during the seventh month of the year.

Wright-Phillips is now one goal shy of 100 league goals as he tallied his 99th career MLS goal. He also raised his career all competitions goals to 117.

BWP has tallied a goal in back-to-back league matches and five goals in the seven matches across all competitions.

Royer recorded his fifth goal of the season and first game-winning tally of 2018. The Austrian winger has tallied six career l
league game-winners and is one shy of breaking the franchise's top-ten in game-winning goals.

Kaku remained atop the league in assists as he raised his season total to 12.

Rzatkowski raised his season assist total to four and has tallied a point in back-to-back games.

Luis Robles needed just one save to record his 55th career clean sheet.

Robles recorded his sixth shutout in 2018 and moved into a tie for fifth place.

New York remained unbeaten against New England at Red Bull Arena as the streak stretched to ten matches (9-0-1).

New York hits the road for just their second mid-week matchup on Wednesday, July 25 as they face Atlantic Cup rival D.C.

United at Audi Field. Kickoff is set for 8 p.m. with coverage on MSG, MSG Go and New York Red Bulls Radio in English and Spanish on TuneIn.

Post-Game Quote Sheet

Red Bulls 2, New England 0

July 21, 2018 | Red Bull Arena

New York Red Bulls Head Coach Chris Armas

Q. Another difficult first half, it was combative, obviously, as you expected it would be. What do you think changed there in the second? Was it literally getting that set piece and that opened things up a little bit for you after that?
CHRIS ARMAS: Yeah, look, like you said the first half was a little bit in the balance, back and forth. It's two teams, probably the only team in the League that plays closest like us and us like them.

Yeah, the key was to be able to put together a play and not get too frustrated and that was a little bit the message at half time. So I think once again, our guys -- actually, I thought we started the game in a good way and then we started the second half in a good way.

Just to stay with it is a reminder and to not get frustrated and to keep being us and to keep doing the things that make us good.

Q. Did it look like they were trying to block the passing lanes? They frustrated you guys, like you said, it looked like all throughout the first half until you got everything settled in the second?
CHRIS ARMAS: Yeah, I think it's frustrating when plays don't come off. But Kaku found a bunch of good little spots in that zone there, we call it the red zone.

But you know, the chances were there. You know, there's even some plays where he's overlapping. We just had to arrange ourselves in the right way and put together a play.

So again it's frustrating when two teams run at the ball. We're built on second balls, and yeah, so when you want to just play football, it's kind of -- it's kind of frustrating.

Q. Just talk about Royer's goal, broke through the damn and everything. What was it from Rzatkowski, that great cross, that found Daniel to be so wide open?
CHRIS ARMAS: Yeah, you know, Danny does a good job operating on the back post. His timing is always excellent and he has a good knack for being around the goal. We've seen that many times now.

Marc, we know, serves a great ball. That's why we have him on a lot of set pieces. He's around the ball a lot and he whips in a good ball and Danny sniffs it out. It's not lucky, really. Danny has a knack and puts himself in a good spot and gets good timing and varies it. Great for him.

Q. This is your third match in charge and for the third straight match, the first half is kind of a slog. What's behind the slow starts? The team really, earlier in the season, was very quick to get off on the right foot at home. It seems a little bit slower now.
CHRIS ARMAS: Yeah, you know what, I think on the inside over here, we're much more comfortable with that first half the way it looked than many on the outside. In a lot of ways, we felt in control and okay with what it looked like. You know, it was just a matter of slowing down and making some plays.

Luis makes a big save, obviously and look, New England is a good team. They are a good team. That's why I -- look at the standings, it's not an opinion, right; they are good.

We knew it would be difficult and we train this way and in difficulty at times. So we didn't think we had a bad start. The first half for us wasn't terrible. So it was in many ways, pretty good, and then we picked up and raised it a notch in the second half.

Q. In a game like that, in the rain, the Revolution fouling a lot, obviously making it very difficult for you guys. What does it say about your team that they are able to kind of get that result, grind it out in the end?
CHRIS ARMAS: Well, look, I think the team throughout this year has shown that we can win in many different ways, from behind, even, second half, we can hold on to leads. We found many ways. So we're fit; our subs come on and do a good job, and we have an ability and belief to push games and know that we can make plays.

So I think it's another night where we show what we're made of and that we're fearless and that we can go after games, and there's a lot of belief. And when you have Bradley Wright-Phillips in the game, he's always dangerous and he's always a threat. I thought he was great tonight, again.

Q. Amir seemed to be one of those players that was active in the second half and sort of sparked the team a little bit. Just speak about his performance and also for you and the team, how difficult it might be to balance his play with, you know, the transfer window and not quite knowing maybe his long-term future with the team?
CHRIS ARMAS: Yeah, look, Amir [Murillo] was great tonight. The first half, not as much was up his side, but again, the game didn't go that way.

So as it settled in, you could see the quality that he has. You could see why he had great moments at the World Cup. You could see why he's been a starter for us. You know, he has an ability to get forward. He defended against one of the better 1-v-1 attackers in the League in Penilla. He has a lot of confidence and still a young guy that plays beyond his years.

In terms of transfer window, he's here and he's focused and he's been training in a great way. So you know, we're going to rely on him as we make this push.

Q. Marc Rzatkowski, he scored last week and now he has an assist this week. What do you have to say about that? And also the Aaron Long sub, was that tactical or injury-related what was that about?
CHRIS ARMAS: Marc shows, again, that he's a good player. He plays with a lot of confidence. He's a smart, intelligence player. He plays against the ball. He steps to plays. He was so comfortable on the ball and he can make final plays, as we saw, again, tonight. Yeah, I'm really happy to see his performance, just solid all night.

In terms of Aaron, he had something in his stomach going on. Wasn't feeling great coming into the night, but he pushed, as we saw in a good way and stepped up.

He's always tough to play against. He's incredible back there. Even after the game, you just say, Aaron, the way he stepped up and battled through when he wasn't feeling that great, and so often he's covering us and has our back, and tonight our guys stepped up and covered him and really were behind him to make sure that they can help him along.

And then Aurelien comes in and did a great job. He really did a great job. He looks like the pro that he is, steps right in, gave us leadership, clearances, exactly what the game needed.

Q. Tyler, we saw him pushed up a little bit last week when you made some tactical changes on the field and today we see him higher up on the field. What went into that decision and what did you ask of him today?
CHRIS ARMAS: Tyler is incredible; that he does whatever you ask; he does whatever the team needs. He's a guy that plays for the team and runs for the team and gives everything.

So when you start to think about how to get certain guys on the field and Marc wanted to ride his momentum and really get him going, how do you piece it together with him Sean and Ty.

So it was a way we could get him going and then still tilt him in a way where he's not a winger, he's tucked in a bit. So I thought he did great. I thought he did great, with and without the ball, up the field and then we moved him upside the field as a ten and he did great there. He's a gem. Tyler is incredible.

Q. Unrelated question. Fidel Escobar, we haven't seen much of him this year. How have you guys managed his situation, just in terms of every player wants to play, and he obviously has not had a lot of minutes. How have you managed that and what does he need to do to break in a little bit more and see a little bit more time?
CHRIS ARMAS: Look, there's a lot of soccer left to play and a lot of games coming up. Fidel has done great. He keeps growing and developing and he's speaking more English than ever. He's training well.

It's a tough spot, typically, with Aaron and Tim, you know, being so steady. But he keeps himself going in a good way, and he's ready. I mean, he had great moments at the World Cup. Even before that, this is the best that we've seen him, so I think we can -- always, you've got to manage the situation when you have a deep team and talented players. So you can expect that we'll rely on him down the stretch, as well.

New York Red Bulls Midfielder Tyler Adams

On shifting to more of an attacking role:

“A bit different. Obviously, what the game gave us, a little bit more of a battle up the field. We wanted to press them a little bit more and, obviously, I think that’s something I’m pretty good at. So, it allowed me to get after the left-back and left center-back but they ended up not playing up that side of the field as much as we wanted them to but it’s something we had to deal with. So, picking up second balls was important as well.”

On what changed for the team in the second half compared to the first:

“Coming in and allowing us to regroup, catch our breath, go over what their tactics were, watch a couple of plays – it gave us time to digest exactly what we needed to go out there and do. Going into the first half, you can always be up for a physical game but it doesn’t always hit you until the first tackle. They made it hard on us right from the start. So, for us, buying ourselves some time to try to make plays wasn’t always in the cards. Brad had a couple plays where he gets fouled and they don’t get called, maybe I get fouled a couple times and they don’t get called. So, frustration builds up a little bit. So, coming in at half time and catching our breath was important for us.”

On what he saw in the first half:

“Absolutely. It’s always tough when they’re trying do that, get around you, get tackles in on you and you feel like you can’t catch your breath or catch your feet and make certain plays that you usually end up making. So, obviously the conditions affect that a little bit more but obviously New England is pretty good at breaking up plays and doing that. So, they made it tough on us on the day. Obviously, we didn’t have the best start as we wanted to. So, it’s something we’ll have to look at on video and try to change.”

New York Red Bulls Midfielder Marc Rzatkowski.

On the Clean Sheet and How the Team Played:

“From our goalkeeper from Luis and Bradley it was a good for all of us. It was a tough game. It was about duels and in the end we deserved to win.”

On Set Pieces Today:

“Yeah I think we talk we talk a lot about Preston and very good in our standards. He’s very good in teaching us how we get in place right. And I think in soccer today it’s very important. A set piece can decide the whole game so today it was the opener. The open for us the game, I’m really happy it was in.”

On the Second Half Changes:

“I think we stayed to our match plan. We said in the halftime and we didn’t want to get frustrated and just keep the head up. I think, like I said, we deserved to win.”

On the Feeling of Scoring Points in Multiple Games:

“First I have to say that I’m happy I could play 90 minutes today so and the most important thing is that we won today.”

New York Red Bulls Goalkeeper Luis Robles

On the result and the weather:

Yeah, it ended up playing out the way we thought all week it would. The first forty-five minutes were just going to be about winning duel, competing for second balls – they were going to be very competitive. We felt like if we could just be patient and get to half-time zero-zero we’d be in a good spot. The talk coming out of halftime is to stay disciplined, not get frustrated. We saw they’re goal chart – they concede a lot in the second half.

We knew they were going to bring a lot of energy in the first fifteen minutes, but if we could weather the storm we were going to get our chances, and that’s exactly how it played out. So, we finished our chances, we got a shut-out, it was a great three points against an Eastern Conference opponent.

On not being busy:

Why would I be frustrated? The defense has been great all year, and, in the offseason, the front office did everything they could to solidify the back line and add some depth and that’s what it is. No matter who plays in there at center back or outside back, guys understand how we want to play. They give it their all. They’re committed to the way that we play: with a high line, we want to win every second ball possible. We limit their chances and that’s exactly what happened.

It’s not like it’s just this year, though. I feel like, since I came to the New York Red Bulls, it just comes down to one or two big moments. And, that’s where I earn my pay. The guys were great tonight, they really limited the opportunities. There was one opportunity and I was able to make the save, keep the team in it, and after that it was lights out. So, hats off not only to the defenders but the defending starts all the way up top. The way the guys were committed for ninety minutes was fantastic.

On his first half save:

With Fagundez out wide, you know that he has a lot of quality. Not only in the way that he plays and dribbles but the way he passes. So, I saw two guys streaking down the middle and Tim – and whoever is the center back – they’ve been so great at cutting out the front post all year. They knew that it was a race to the front post, and Fagundez is cheeky enough to be able to slip it in there. For me, I thought at first maybe if I could cut off the angle, but I feel like Tim had a good beat on it. It’s one of these situations that, if I make myself big, Tim either gets the ball and, if he doesn’t, I put pressure on Teal. Understanding that you’re going to take impact, he’s going to hit you, but, it’s going to be worth it if you save it.

The worst part is if you take the impact and you don’t save it. So, I sort of just gird up my loins and said alright, let’s do this. Take the impact and make sure you make a save, and that’s exactly what happened.

On Kaku:

I think his frustration is more wanting to have an impact and be effective when it comes to his passing game. He knows that today was going to be very difficult because of the way that they play, and you could see that they stacked the back line. Every opportunity they got, they just launched it forward. And when you look statistically, they’re right behind us when it comes to turnovers in their final third and in the middle third, and that’s exactly what they wanted to do.

So, it’s frustrating for our midfielders because they want the ball at their feet, they want to be able to create. But, then you look at the shift he put in. He was committed to winning second balls, he was committed to putting pressure on the ball. I felt even though it wasn’t the typical game for him where he was able to contribute and show his magical touch in the final third and create chances, what we did was what we asked him to do. And it was fantastic.

On Aaron Long:

No, I thought A-Lo left it out on the field, and even at halftime they were wondering if he wanted to keep going. I mean, A-Lo has been fantastic all year. No matter who he play’s with. But, then Aurelien. Aurelien comes in, and he’s aggressive, he’s a leader, and he’s vocal back there. It’s a tough game to come in to, it’s very physical and combative. And yet, he was able to leave his impression on the game, and it’s fantastic all the way around.

On Amir Murillo’s play:

I think any ambitious team that wants to do great things has to have depth. And, one thing that can describe our team this year is that we have depth at every position. Doesn’t matter if it’s goalkeeper, doesn’t matter if it’s up top, on the wing, and the defensive line. In my mind, it’s crazy because this guy’s in Russia playing in a World Cup, and he has to come back and play in a half empty stadium in Red Bull Arena. I’m sure there’s a let-down, but he continues to go about his business like a professional and he had a huge impact on the game today.

New England Revolution Head Coach Brad Friedel

Q. Your thoughts on how this one played out?
BRAD FRIEDEL: Well, not quite like the last two. The last two, we were by far the better team. I thought this one in the first half, there was nothing in the game at all. In the second half, again, it wasn't that entertaining of a game, but we were definitely in it.

Claude Dielna made a terrible mistake. It was a needless free kick to give away. We didn't defend it and from that point on, we were trying different things to try to stick on as many strikers as we could to try to get the goal back and it never came. I don't think in the second half, we put the ball down and passed it the way that we could.

I thought we built ourselves into the game nicely to be able to do that but give Red Bull credit, they performed pretty well in the second half.

Q. So was that kind of the issue for you in terms of not creating quite as many chances as the last two games? Obviously had the one big chance in the first half with Teal, but seemed like you struggled to generate any real quality looks from there?
BRAD FRIEDEL: They created zero, also. So it was just, when you play New York Red Bull, they hit long balls and they look for the second ball and they have Wright-Phillips, he's very good on crosses and tries to break but they don't break you down with any intricate passing.

If we look at the run of play, I think they probably had a couple of chances; we had a couple of chances. I mean, it wasn't an end-to-end game. It was all played in the middle of the midfield. There was just nothing in there. It was a needless foul to give away and we didn't defend.

Q. Two weeks until the next game. Is there an opportunity here to reset? How do you approach these two weeks ahead of the Orlando games?
BRAD FRIEDEL: We said good teams never lose two in a row. Here we are with three, three losses in a row. I think it's a big mentality check for us as a staff and us as a team and the whole.

The bye week, you know, maybe comes at a good time where we can address some things. We're going to get a couple new faces in, which will help, as well.

And it's nothing more to it other than hard work and get back out there and we need the three points against Orlando. We'll assess the game and we'll go over it but we're going to have to stay positive. We have a lot more football to play and we'll try to get as many points as we can.

New England Revolution Forward Juan Agudelo.

On the Game As a Whole:

“We you know keep kickoing ourselves in the foot sometimes. This is a tough game today, I think we did everything well. We went into the game prepared, our coaches prepared us really good we thought we canceled their plan. We got some opportunities on the counter but again, we got to stay focused for the whole 90.”

On The First Half:

“I mean we wanted to get an early goal anyway. It wasn’t bad it was nil nil at halftime. We knew we could get behind them and the longer the game went the better chance we had for three points.”

On Heading Into The Break:

100%. Anything that can change, a bye weekend can mix things up and see what happens after. Anything right now to change the mindset and come back and refresh the batteries.

On the 700 Fans Traveling:

I’m not just saying this, we definitely heard them. We see it on our twitter pages, lining up on the bus getting ready to make the way down 95. It showed, it helped us a lot. Red Bulls are a good team but we wouldn’t have gotten that far if so many fans didn’t come.

New England Revolution Defender Andrew Farrell.

On The How The Game Played Out:

I think it was going to be a battle. In the first half only a couple of chances here and there, I think we had the better of the chances. Obviously didn’t get on the board, but coming out of halftime keep doing the same things, winning the second balls and switching the sides and attacking down the flanks was going to benefit us. You know they got a better run of the play and goal on a set piece. Missed my man and then another goal off a play, Bradley Wright Phillips in the box, if he gets a little bit of space he’s going to score so. Those two goals are kind of frustrating, we talk about individual mistakes that we got to correct but I saw a lot of fight from the boys so we got to continue to work on those things and continue to fight.

On Using the Break to Reset a Little:

I think so. I wish we could play again tomorrow and make up for this bad run we’ve been run. In all three games we’ve lost we played fantastic for 90 minutes and then stupid mistakes. In Minnesota, mistakes that we thought we’re back in it and tonight obviously wish we could play tomorrow but maybe it’s a good time to take a break and get back to what we need to right to come out against Orlando.

On Wearing the Captains Armband:

It feels good. It’s my sixth season we got a lot of leaders on this team, so I think either Claud, Scotty, Diego it could be any of the guys that have been here a while who can lead the team out. It’s a great honor that the coaches have bestowed on me tonight. Obviously wish we could’ve gotten three points or a better result. You know when my names called again, I’ll try to do better and lead them but obviously it’s a great honor.

Last edited by Dave Birnbaum; 07/23/18 06:00 PM.