Fall '20 Scores & Standings:| G-ECNL | G-ECRL | B-ECNL | B-ECRL | EDP | GA | LIJSL (Enhanced) | MLS NXT | NCSANJ | WYSL |


Forum Search
Fall 2020
Scores & Standings
Girls Academy League
GA Schedule & Standings
MLS Next Scores & Standings
Scores & Standings
National League Playoffs
2020-21 National Playoffs
EDP 2020/2021
Scores & Standings
WYSL Scores & Standings
Fall '20 Scores & Standings
LIJSL Scores & Standings
Scores & Standings
ENY State Cups 2020-2021
Challenge Cup
NY State Cup
Latest Posts
The new MLS youth league
by Anonymous - 09/22/20 07:43 AM
G2008:U13 Fall 2020/Spring 2021
by Anonymous - 09/21/20 04:37 PM
B2010:U11 Fall 2020/Spring 2021
by Anonymous - 09/21/20 04:31 PM
Did SUSA put Money Before Safety?
by Larry Miller - 09/21/20 03:01 PM
BOTN en Espaol
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
NEW MEXICO DROPS MEN’S COLLEGE SOCCER
#710167 07/20/18 12:31 PM
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 19,062
Likes: 22
Chief Rocker
Back of THE NET
OP Offline
Chief Rocker
Back of THE NET
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 19,062
Likes: 22
How does the University of New Mexico Eliminate a Great Soccer Program? Budget Issues.

The DI ranked University of New Mexico has decided to eliminate their men’s soccer program after the 2018 season, leaving student-athletes in the lurch on short notice. The reduction of sports and roster modifications will save a reported estimated $1.148 million annually. @UNMLoboMSoccer

The University of New Mexico Board of Regents overwhelmingly approved with a whopping 6-0 vote to eliminate men’s soccer as well as three other sports due to budget cuts.

AT A TIME WHEN SOCCER HAS REACHED A HIGH IN POPULARITY IN THE USA — HOW CAN UNIVERSITIES CUT THEIR PROGRAMS?

The University of New Mexico’s (UNM) long time Men’s soccer coach Jeremy Fishbein fought this every step of the way.

The prestigious UNM Men’s soccer program, along with the men’s/women’s skiing and women’s beach volleyball are all cut citing budget cuts and Title IX requirements.

How does Title IX — which Congress passed in 1972 prohibiting the discrimination against girls and women in federally funded education programs — have anything to do with budget issues in 2018?

The explanation from Glen Rosales The Associated Press on Review Journal: “As for the Title IX requirements, a report issued in May by an independent firm showed that there were 317 men participating in sports [at University of New Mexico] compared with 247 women, resulting in inequity when considering the percentage of men and women who make up the university’s overall enrollment of full-time undergraduates.”

“The disparity is greater when viewed in terms of athletic scholarships. Men received $4.74 million in aid, or 62.6 percent, compared with $2.83 million, or 37.4 percent, for women.”

The University of New Mexico kicked off its men’s soccer program in 1983 and is clearly one of the country’s top-ranked programs. The Division I school, which plays in the Conference USA, ranked #67th last season with Wake Forest taking the #1 spot.

THE 2018 SEASON WILL BE ITS LAST.

University New Mexico – Statement on AP:
University President Garnett S. Stokes and Athletic Director Eddie Nuñez announced their recommendations earlier to cut men’s soccer along with the skiing and beach volleyball programs.

Stokes opening remarks at the public hearing yesterday explained her position.

“I know there is nothing I can say to you that makes this situation any better. Please do know this: our recommendation has been made with great deliberation and with the sincere belief our very painful choices are what is needed for the long-term future success of athletics,” said Stokes.F

17-year Head coach Jeremy Fishbein spoke at the hearing as well, along with several of his players who all made passionate please to save their program.

According to UNM, Fishbein is the program’s all-time winningest coach and has built New Mexico into a perennial power in college soccer.

During his tenure, UNM has made 11 NCAA Tournament appearances. Those appearances include five trips to the NCAA Sweet 16 and a pair of NCAA College Cup appearances in 2005 and 2013. The 2005 Lobos advanced to the national championship match.

“Lobo men’s soccer is too important to our state!”

Even if the university is facing a mammoth deficit, other universities are reducing the number of administrative staff and not cutting programs that attract top student-athletes.

United Soccer Coaches released this statement on New Mexico Men’s Soccer earlier today:
The outcome was not what any of us wanted, but we, as a community of coaches will continue to support New Mexico men’s soccer. There were many complex issues that went into this decision and it was a difficult conclusion to come to, but it’s apparent that spending in college athletics has gotten to the point that it is becoming a detriment to the opportunities of student-athletes in sports other than football and basketball. The value that these student-athletes bring to their school and their communities needs to carry a greater weight instead of taking the easy route of cutting programs.

Like Reply Quote
Junior Soccer Advertisements

Re: NEW MEXICO DROPS MEN’S COLLEGE SOCCER
Larry Miller #710225 07/23/18 06:20 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This isn't the first victim of Title IX and it won't be the last. When you have to balance out the sports by gender, having a football team with 85 scholarships on it requires a lot of money to be spent on offsetting sports. Having other expensive men's teams just makes the problem worse and some University's choose to cut them rather than try to fit them within the budget.

Like Reply Quote
Re: NEW MEXICO DROPS MEN’S COLLEGE SOCCER
Anonymous #710271 07/23/18 02:21 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
This isn't the first victim of Title IX and it won't be the last. When you have to balance out the sports by gender, having a football team with 85 scholarships on it requires a lot of money to be spent on offsetting sports. Having other expensive men's teams just makes the problem worse and some University's choose to cut them rather than try to fit them within the budget.



How much easier would all our lives be if there were no college soccer out there? It would finish at HS and then anything else would be just for fun. Here's a thought, if there were no college soccer, would we all be spending so much money on travel and coaches? The whole business would implode. How peaceful does that sound?

Like Reply Quote
Re: NEW MEXICO DROPS MEN’S COLLEGE SOCCER
Anonymous #710299 07/24/18 06:20 PM
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 977
Likes: 4
L
Back of THE NET
Offline
Back of THE NET
L
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 977
Likes: 4
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
This isn't the first victim of Title IX and it won't be the last. When you have to balance out the sports by gender, having a football team with 85 scholarships on it requires a lot of money to be spent on offsetting sports. Having other expensive men's teams just makes the problem worse and some University's choose to cut them rather than try to fit them within the budget.



How much easier would all our lives be if there were no college soccer out there? It would finish at HS and then anything else would be just for fun. Here's a thought, if there were no college soccer, would we all be spending so much money on travel and coaches? The whole business would implode. How peaceful does that sound?


It doesn’t sound peaceful at all to me it sounds infantile, immature and not thought out well at all. Just because one program is shut down that is no reason and there is no logic in wishing for all of College Soccer to be shut down. Your statement sounds spiteful and illogical. In fact, the soccer talent will just end up somewhere else!

IF the program was actually making money for the university why would they shut it down? If perhaps they were a College Football major power the money they got from that program would be subsidizing Title IX requirements and the rest of the Athletics. If they were an NCAA superpower in basketball that would be doing the same. But they are not and the Soccer program was probably a huge drain. Universities exist to make a profit and they make financial decisions like this all the time.
A few years ago Hofstra shut down their Division 3 football program for financial reasons. What did they do instead? They opened a Medical School! You think that has added to the bottom line? I would think so given the cost of Medical School tuition.

Like Reply Quote
Re: NEW MEXICO DROPS MEN’S COLLEGE SOCCER
Anonymous #710300 07/24/18 06:41 PM
S
samgordon
Unregistered
samgordon
Unregistered
S
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
This isn't the first victim of Title IX and it won't be the last. When you have to balance out the sports by gender, having a football team with 85 scholarships on it requires a lot of money to be spent on offsetting sports. Having other expensive men's teams just makes the problem worse and some University's choose to cut them rather than try to fit them within the budget.



How much easier would all our lives be if there were no college soccer out there? It would finish at HS and then anything else would be just for fun. Here's a thought, if there were no college soccer, would we all be spending so much money on travel and coaches? The whole business would implode. How peaceful does that sound?

It wouldn't make my life easier one bit. My son would still play HS and club. I guess the difference between us and you is we don't look at soccer as a gateway to a scholarship. Yes, it will be nice if he gets one, but that's not why he plays. He plays because he enjoys it. He plays club because he likes the challenge club gives him that rec and school don't.

If the only reason your child is playing club soccer is to get a scholarship, I suggest stopping soccer and put the money into a college fund.

Like Reply Quote
Re: NEW MEXICO DROPS MEN’S COLLEGE SOCCER
#710317 07/25/18 10:15 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by samgordon
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
This isn't the first victim of Title IX and it won't be the last. When you have to balance out the sports by gender, having a football team with 85 scholarships on it requires a lot of money to be spent on offsetting sports. Having other expensive men's teams just makes the problem worse and some University's choose to cut them rather than try to fit them within the budget.



How much easier would all our lives be if there were no college soccer out there? It would finish at HS and then anything else would be just for fun. Here's a thought, if there were no college soccer, would we all be spending so much money on travel and coaches? The whole business would implode. How peaceful does that sound?

It wouldn't make my life easier one bit. My son would still play HS and club. I guess the difference between us and you is we don't look at soccer as a gateway to a scholarship. Yes, it will be nice if he gets one, but that's not why he plays. He plays because he enjoys it. He plays club because he likes the challenge club gives him that rec and school don't.

If the only reason your child is playing club soccer is to get a scholarship, I suggest stopping soccer and put the money into a college fund.



Nope, you are reading too much into it, it was a generalization, mine plays because he loves it and would in no way pick a college based on whether he could play there or not. He wants a career, not to say he played at uni. I know so many parents of average players who think their kid has a chance to play past 18 and who are throwing extensive time and money at 'academy' clubs, chasing the holy grail when they have no idea how good the players coming in from overseas are. I might be getting cynical but I fear much of the sport on LI at what they claim to be elite level, is a business, aimed at extracting max profit from vain parents. If there were no college soccer, these charlatans would go away and it might all settle down and we'd go back to playing because the boys want to, not because Dad says so.

Like Reply Quote
Re: NEW MEXICO DROPS MEN’S COLLEGE SOCCER
Anonymous #710329 07/25/18 01:58 PM
S
samgordon
Unregistered
samgordon
Unregistered
S
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Nope, you are reading too much into it, it was a generalization, mine plays because he loves it and would in no way pick a college based on whether he could play there or not. He wants a career, not to say he played at uni. I know so many parents of average players who think their kid has a chance to play past 18 and who are throwing extensive time and money at 'academy' clubs, chasing the holy grail when they have no idea how good the players coming in from overseas are. I might be getting cynical but I fear much of the sport on LI at what they claim to be elite level, is a business, aimed at extracting max profit from vain parents. If there were no college soccer, these charlatans would go away and it might all settle down and we'd go back to playing because the boys want to, not because Dad says so.

You say yours plays because he loves it, but if colleges drop soccer, you can go back to playing because they want to.

Would colleges dropping soccer suck? Sure. But I bet there would be intramural teams or nearby clubs so kids who like to play can still play.
Would colleges dropping soccer change anything about our current soccer environment? I don't think so.

Like Reply Quote
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled


Link Copied to Clipboard

Click Here!