FC Dallas Defender Signed By Bayern Munich

German champions FC Bayern have today announced the loan signing of FC Dallas defender, Chris Richards. The 18-year-old Alabama native joins the iconic club’s U19 side.

The signing comes just five months after the European powerhouse and founding Major League Soccer Member announced a comprehensive partnership, the first of its kind, offering players within their professional academies a pathway to soccer both in the United States and Germany.

“We are very pleased to be making this announcement so early in our partnership”, commented FC Bayern Munich’s President of the Americas, Rudolf Vidal. “FC Dallas is at the forefront of player development in the U.S., proven by the quality of their players. We look forward to continue building on this partnership with the intention of supporting the growth of soccer in the U.S.”, he added.

“This is a perfect opportunity for Chris,” said FC Dallas President Dan Hunt. “He will have the chance to train with the best players in the world and develop skills which will make him a solid contributor to our first team.”

In April, Richards took part in a 10-day training stint with FC Bayern at the clubs recently opened state-of-the-art youth academy under the supervision of the Head of Youth Development, Jochen Sauer. “Chris made a very good impression so we wanted to bring him back to further develop him, exposing him to different coaching styles, opponents and environments”, said Sauer.

Richards joined the FC Dallas Academy last year and has started 20 U.S. Soccer Development Academy matches for FC Dallas’ U19s this season. The versatile defender also started all three matches for the U19s in the Dallas Cup.

"I'm really looking forward to this great adventure and continuing to develop myself at FC Bayern. This is an incredible club with an amazing history and I’m excited to experience it as an FC Bayern player”, said Chris Richards.