Red Bulls Defeat Toronto 1-0

The New York Red Bulls, led by a save by goalkeeper Luis Robles on a Toronto FC penalty kick and an early goal by defender Kemar Lawrence helped the Red Bulls to defeat Toronto 1-0 on Sunday at BMO Field.

New York Red Bulls 1, Toronto FC 0
MLS Regular Season Match 16
Sunday, July 1, 2018 - 4:30 p.m. ET
BMO Field | Toronto, Ontario

Scoring Summary: 
NY - Kemar Lawrence 2 (Aaron Long) 4'

Misconduct Summary:
TFC - Eriq Zavaleta (caution, unsporting behavior) 27'
NY - Tim Parker (caution, unsporting behavior) 35'
NY - Tyler Adams (caution, unsporting behavior) 53'
NY - Marc Rzatkowski (caution, unsporting behavior) 77'

New York Red Bulls: Luis Robles ©; Connor Lade, Tim Parker, Aaron Long, Kemar Lawrence, Sean Davis, Tyler Adams, Kaku (Marc Rzatkowski, 65'), Alex Muyl (Derrick Etienne, Jr., 60'), Florian Valot, Bradley Wright-Phillips (Ethan Kutler, 90+5')

TOTAL SHOTS: 15; SHOTS ON GOAL: 2; FOULS: 16; OFFSIDE: 6; CORNER KICKS: 8; SAVES: 8

Toronto FC: Alexander Bono; Eriq Zavaleta (Ryan Telfer, 80'), Jason Hernandez (Ashtone Morgan, 34'), Justin Morrow, Nick Hagglund, Nicolas Hasler, Jonathan Osorio, Marco Delgado (Jay Chapman, 81'), Michael Bradley, Jordan Hamilton, Sebastian Giovinco

TOTAL SHOTS: 13; SHOTS ON GOAL: 8; FOULS: 10; OFFSIDE: 5; CORNER KICKS: 8; SAVES: 1

Referee: Chico Grajeda
Assistant Referees: Kyle Atkins, Jonathan Johnson
4th Official: Silviu Petrescu
VAR: Jon Freemon

Attendance: 26,363

An early Kemar Lawrence tally helped lead the New York Red Bulls (10-4-2, 32 pts) past Toronto FC (4-9-3, 15 pts), 1-0, on Sunday at BMO Field. New York earned their first regular-season win at BMO Field since 2013.

With the win, the Red Bulls recorded their ninth consecutive season with at least 10 league wins. New York's nine-year streak is tied for the second longest active streak with Seattle. (Real Salt Lake current has strung together 10 consecutive).

Off the first corner kick, Lawrence sent a low-liner from outside the box to grab the early lead in the fourth minute.

Following a penalty kick granted to Toronto FC in the 78th minute, Robles stepped up and recorded his seventh career penalty kick save to preserve the 1-0 lead.

Lawrence tallied a goal for the second consecutive match.

Aaron Long recorded his first career MLS assist.

Luis Robles tallied a game-high eight saves for his ninth win of the season. Robles improved to 89-54-44 all-time in net as a Red Bull.

Robles recorded his 54th career league clean sheet to move into sole possession of 11th all-time in league history.

Robles has recorded a shutout in back-to-back matches and hasn't allowed a goal in 193 minutes in league play.

The Red Bulls are now 46-38-22 all-time in the month of July. New York has scored 174 goals while allowing 160 during the seventh month of the year.

Head coach Jesse Marsch is 58-35-25 all-time with New York. Marsch is 18-27-14 on the road with the Red Bulls.

New York will head to Yankee Stadium to play NYCFC on July 8 before returning to Red Bull Arena against Sporting KC on July 14. The New York derby kicks off at 7 p.m. ET with coverage on FS1 and New York Red Bulls Radio on TuneIn.

POST GAME QUOTES
New York Red Bulls Head Coach Jesse Marsch

On the result:
Yeah not our best game by any means. The weather was a complete factor. Being so hot we made a lot of simple mistakes we don’t normally make. You have to really tip your hat to Luis for not only the penalty save but all the other saves he made today. You know you go through a season sometimes where you don’t play your best but to find a way to get a big result on the road, three points, right now puts us second in the league with games in hand and a chance to keep chasing the season so overall a really good result.

On if the match was a test of character:
That’s what we said afterwards, that even though we weren’t playing our best there was still belief that we were going to get the result. A little bit of luck in there too for sure but there’s confidence in this group about stepping onto the field and finding a way to get results even on the road. It’s different than most teams I’ve been around and our key is to continue that strong mentality and continue to have a hunger to improve and find ways to get better every week.

On having success on the road this year:
I think it’s been the belief. I think when we go on the road now we know that we’re the type of team that gets results and we make it hard on any opponent. It speaks about the character, the belief, the quality we have and the way we play.

New York Red Bulls defender Kemar Lawrence

On road success this season:
It’s always hard playing away from home in this league as it always seems like it’s a battle. Our mentality this year is not giving up chances and trying to keep a clean sheet no matter who we play. Today we gave up a couple of chances but Luis came up really big for us.

On his offensive production with two goals in two games:
Not really, a great ball came up and I tried to relax and get a good hit on it. The keeper kind of made a mistake and Bradley did a good job with a screen so that helped. I’m just trying to get my chances on target and coach says if you don’t shoot you don’t score so.

On getting the win:
Coming in here you have to respect them being the Champions but you know that you can’t stop running and playing your game. Today the game was in the balance throughout but we managed to come out with three points and good teams find ways to win, doesn’t matter the location.

New York Red Bulls goalkeeper Luis Robles

On getting a road result:
It’s crazy when you look at the table, it’s as if we continue to look up as teams are playing so well and we’re trying to keep pace with them and catch up to them. With that being said Toronto is the defending champion and when you look at their roster you see so many good players and such great talent. In my opinion it’s great that teams like Atlanta, Columbus and ourselves are doing so well but Toronto is still the team to beat and until someone changes that, they’re still the standard right now.

On this being a good character win:
Absolutely. I think the most important thing is we got the three points and the second most important thing is that we got the shutout. I know Toronto has had a difficult stretch but the talk all week was that we’re not going to be the team that they turn it around with so we did our best to neutralize them. So for us it wasn’t necessarily a showcase game but what continues to reflect the character of this locker room is the grittiness and gutsy performance from the guys and this never say die for 90 minutes.

On his penalty save against Giovinco:
It’s not a thought in my mind. When the penalty is called you start to calculate in your mind how you’re going to go about this and before the game I had already decided that I was going to go this way and it turns out a penalty was called and my mind was already made up. I was fortunate that the ball was in a place that I could save it because even if I guess right, if the ball is blasted hard enough it still goes in.

Last edited by Dave Birnbaum; 07/05/18 11:19 PM.