Fall '20 Scores & Standings:| CJSL | G-ECNL | G-ECRL | B-ECNL | B-ECRL | EDP | GA | LIJSL | MLS NXT | NCSANJ | WYSL |

Signup 4 Newsletters

Forum Search
Fall 2020
Scores & Standings
Girls Academy League
GA Schedule & Standings
MLS Next Scores & Standings
Scores & Standings
National League Playoffs
2020-21 National Playoffs
EDP 2020/2021
Scores & Standings
WYSL Scores & Standings
Fall '20 Scores & Standings
LIJSL Scores & Standings
Scores & Standings
ENY State Cups 2020-2021
Challenge Cup
NY State Cup
Maxpreps High School
New York
New Jersey
Connecticut
Maryland
Latest Posts
Where are all the Referees?
by Anonymous - 11/28/20 05:36 PM
Stony Brook SC & Atletico FC Merge
by Anonymous - 11/28/20 05:07 PM
Long island Rough Riders Winter Camp
by Larry Miller - 11/27/20 07:59 PM
B2010:U11 Fall 2020/Spring 2021
by Anonymous - 11/27/20 12:00 PM
BOTN en Espaņol
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Jill Ellis to Head The US Mens Soccer Team?
#708539 06/15/18 10:17 AM
B
Back of THE NET
OP Offline
Back of THE NET
B
Anyone else think this is a great idea? Obviously the the current coaching staff for the men have no clue how to develop teams and win games!!!! Maybe Jill Ellis is the answer.

Like Reply Quote
Junior Soccer Advertisements

Re: Jill Ellis to Head The US Mens Soccer Team?
Badjohn152 #708541 06/15/18 10:38 AM
Chief Rocker
Back of THE NET
Chief Rocker
Back of THE NET
I am not impressed at all with Jill Ellis. I am, however, very much in favor of any competent female coach to coach a men's or boy's team. Nice move in priciple by the MNT.

Like Reply Quote
Badjohn152 #708542 06/15/18 10:40 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Ellis is awful.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #708547 06/15/18 11:26 AM
B
Back of THE NET
OP Offline
Back of THE NET
B
Maybe she is awful...but her teams and methodology wins....any better suggestions?

Like Reply Quote
Badjohn152 #708548 06/15/18 11:53 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Badjohn152
Maybe she is awful...but her teams and methodology wins....any better suggestions?

if you think her methodology wins, then we are miles apart. To assess managers performance, you look at what they have to work with and the quality of what they get out of it. Eliis does the least with the most. the fact that the US can still win ( although to be fair they have not been winning much when matched vs the few decent teams out there) is general refelction of teh quality and depth of the womens game. many countries who we compete with at u17 and 20 cannot continue to field decent teams by full becasue they lack the resources.

So lets look at the men who are not in a position of strength. to win, they need to pick the right players and organize thenm very well tactically. they will not dominate anyone physically or technically.

Ellis would be a total disaster in that role.She was in the right place at the right time , thats about it.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #708551 06/15/18 12:35 PM
B
Back of THE NET
OP Offline
Back of THE NET
B
Would you agree that the current mens team is a total disaster to begin with anyway? If your answer is Yes....Which I'm assuming it is, then it would be safe to say it could not get any worse.

So I think on paper perhaps Ellis would be the best qualified coach for the mens. Unless maybe Michael Bradleys dad can now do a fantastic job now since he was relieved of his position years ago?

The ultimate question hear is not to be for or against Jill Ellis or Mr. Bradley but to find the best qualified head coach/leader/general to lead our mens team to the top of the world rankings.

So Who should be given a shot at this task? any recommendations? (its actually a tough question).

Like Reply Quote
Badjohn152 #708552 06/15/18 12:51 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i would not agree its a disaster. I would say its in transition and we will see when the new manager is appointed. Disaster was losing to a Trinidadand Tobago B team and then spending the next few months blaming it on Jurgen Klismann.

the US problem is the status quo, safety net mentality that runs soccer. instead of allowing the fear of failure create strength, they have created a no fail environment that leads to mediocrity - youth and pro alike.

Ellis is as status quo s it gets.

Like Reply Quote
Badjohn152 #708554 06/15/18 01:19 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Anyone else think this is a great idea? Obviously the the current coaching staff for the men have no clue how to develop teams and win games!!!! Maybe Jill Ellis is the answer.

Silly

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #708555 06/15/18 01:26 PM
B
Back of THE NET
OP Offline
Back of THE NET
B
Don't forget the loss to Ireland (who did not qualify for the world cup either).

Fear of Failure never creates strength...never has, never will. True competitors don't have the word "Failure" in their vocabulary.

Since we are having fun with this topic... I will ask anyone again i think now for the 3rd time....Who? or do we have full faith with the current coach to lead us to the world cup in four years? Who?

Like Reply Quote
Badjohn152 #708557 06/15/18 01:41 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
it absolutely does.you dont think that promotion/relegation promotes strength? There is no cost of failure in the US soccer system. Its one big controlled ecosystem designed to make money for owners (MLS, Us Soccer , heck throw in the ECNL ones if you like)

No matter how bad they perform on the filed, safety nets give them revenue and another chance. Competition is not promoted at all.

Your question is an irrelevant one becasue I cant see anyone but another MLS status quo candidate wanting to work in this system.. You already hired Stewart as teh GM. why would a real manager with pedigree want to work under him ?

And again , if you think Ellis is a good candidate, then we are so far apart as to what a good coach is that names from me are pointless.

Like Reply Quote
Badjohn152 #708559 06/15/18 02:06 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
why not slick while we are at it?

Ellis has done less with more than most. She has gutted that team looking to change for the sake of changing and very few have been upgrades. Team is definitely younger but not stronger. The back line was changed because she wants players going deep down to the flags but with a significant down grade at keeper you better have somebody home defending. Sorry my thoughts

Like Reply Quote
Badjohn152 #708560 06/15/18 02:20 PM
B
Back of THE NET
OP Offline
Back of THE NET
B
My opinion is the men can't get any worse so let a women try and fix the problem. I think pound for pound the women are tougher players mentally....this is going to lead me into the next fun topic that i'm sure will ruffle many feathers...stay tuned and thanks for playing.

Like Reply Quote
Badjohn152 #708580 06/15/18 08:47 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This can't be serious. Sure she is successful women's soccer coach, but men's is a different game - she would be a rookie.
Why can't US Soccer hire a pro with a proven track record, some like Guus Hiddink who did absolute miracles with Australian, South Korean, and Russian national teams.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #708582 06/15/18 10:12 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
This can't be serious. Sure she is successful women's soccer coach, but men's is a different game - she would be a rookie.
Why can't US Soccer hire a pro with a proven track record, some like Guus Hiddink who did absolute miracles with Australian, South Korean, and Russian national teams.

He doesn't have a track record of sticking around too long anywhere -- not something we need right now, in my opinion.

There's virtually no chance he would be managing them through the next World Cup cycle, so why bother?

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #708637 06/17/18 01:58 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

He doesn't have a track record of sticking around too long anywhere -- not something we need right now, in my opinion.

There's virtually no chance he would be managing them through the next World Cup cycle, so why bother?

Zidane may still be available, also the rumors are Qatar is close to hiring him at $50m/year through the next cycle.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #708793 06/19/18 09:45 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

And she was handed, on a silver platter, a superior team to play against inferior competition. Now that it's changing her lack of leadership and foresight is becoming apparent. fi she had built something from the ground up then there'd be a case for trying her. But she hasn't, and that's what we need - building from the ground up

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #708988 06/20/18 03:58 PM
B
Back of THE NET
OP Offline
Back of THE NET
B
Obviously a good idea But Jurgen Klinsman tried that already and failed miserably. And he was a world cup winner.

Like Reply Quote
Badjohn152 #709053 06/21/18 11:55 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Obviously a good idea But Jurgen Klinsman tried that already and failed miserably. And he was a world cup winner.

Jurgen did a lot for US soccer and he would qualify US team for the cup; the change might be warranted but his replacement was not even close to his level.

Like Reply Quote
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click Here!