Marsch, Davis and Royer Comment On Atlanta

Jesse Marsch, Sean Davis and Daniel Royer spoke about Sunday’s match against Atlanta United FC:

Jesse Marsch

Coming off Colorado win and heading into Atlanta:

It was a match that didn’t go as perfectly as planned and the elevation got a lot out of us, so we did not have the legs to accomplish some things that we wanted on the day, but what I think it says is that our group is resilient and their ability to handle the game, how to manage the game and to get out of there with three points is pretty big. We are overall happy with the mentality of this group and I think we are really coming together in a good way and continue to grow.

Looking forward to next weekend, what a big test. We have already had some big tests recently and it has not been an easy stretch, but our group has stayed strong, I think they are fit, physically they have handled themselves well and have set us up for success. It will be a big challenge going down to Atlanta, but one we are really excited for.

Dealing with a tough atmosphere in Atlanta:

I think our players are established enough that they have played in enough difficult environments and tough places. Now, this will be unique, that crowd, that stadium, the noise, everything will be fun. I think that our guys have shown that in big games that they enjoy those moments, they enjoy the pressure, they enjoy going up against a good opponent. I expect us to rise to the challenge, but we will go after it that much I know about this group that we will go after it.

Sean Davis

Looking ahead, how is the team preparing for a tough matchup against Atlanta:

It seems like in MLS now that every game we play is a really challenging game. You look back at the season so far, it is still early, but we have a lot of important games under our belt, so we are probably going to play the best team in the league right now and I think it is going to take a huge effort and I know the guys are really excited for it and we have a lot of respect for them, but we are going to give everything we have.

How the team is feeling heading into Atlanta:

It has been a good stretch of games for us, but I think the most important thing is to not be complacent and we have to find a way to be up for the game, which we will, and find a way to grind out a result and we know it is going to be difficult, we, like I said, have a lot of respect for them, but it is not important what we have done in the past, it is important how we are going to prepare this week and be ready for the game on Sunday, that is the most important thing.

Daniel Royer

What was the atmosphere like before Mercedes Benz and what the expectation is now:

I remember it really well, it was amazing, the crowd was amazing, it was their first game in MLS so the crowd was going crazy and I think we enjoy that everybody was against us and I remember we had a really good team spirit in that game, I remember our captain saying that that was one of the best wins we have ever had and we can’t wait to go there in the new stadium, new atmosphere, great team that we are playing against. Sets up for a great soccer game.

Having played in big atmospheres early on this season, how will that help prepare you for Sunday:

That is what you want as a soccer player, I mean of course it is a little bit nicer when the crowd is for you, but it is also really nice when it is against you, I don’t know, I think I like it. We know what to expect, really good team, really good possession team, really good strikers, especially good on offense, and as I said, the crowd will go crazy and it will be interesting to see the team and how we are going to react to the crowd because it is not like every week that we are having 70,000 people in a stadium so it is going to be a good test.

News and Notes

• MLS’s top-two offenses clash on Sunday as New York leads MLS in goals per game at 2.56, while Atlanta sits second at 2.27. Three of the league’s top goal scorers will square off at Mercedes Benz Stadium with Josef Martinez, co-Golden Boot leader at eight, while his teammate Miguel Almiron and Bradley Wright-Phillips are both tied for third with six.

• New York is currently enjoying a two-match road winning streak and three-game winning streak overall. The Red Bulls recorded back-to-back road wins for the first time since July 5-22, 2017 whey they won at New England and Minnesota.

• With the Concacaf Champions League and MLS play to balance, the Red Bulls gave almost their entire roster a chance to start matches and it seems to have paid off early on in league play. Through the first 13 matches, New York threw out 13 different starting lineups with 23 different players getting a chance to start, tallying a 7-4-2 mark during that stretch. The Red Bulls have settled on a consistent starting XI the last two matches, having won both matches and outscoring their opponents, 6-1.