Fall '20 Scores & Standings:| G-ECNL | G-ECRL | B-ECNL | B-ECRL | EDP | GA | LIJSL | MLS NXT | NCSANJ | WYSL |

Forum Search
Fall 2020
Scores & Standings
Girls Academy League
GA Schedule & Standings
MLS Next Scores & Standings
Scores & Standings
National League Playoffs
2020-21 National Playoffs
EDP 2020/2021
Scores & Standings
WYSL Scores & Standings
Fall '20 Scores & Standings
LIJSL Scores & Standings
Scores & Standings
ENY State Cups 2020-2021
Challenge Cup
NY State Cup
Latest Posts
G2007:U14 Fall 2020/Spring 2021
by Anonymous - 09/26/20 09:54 PM
The new MLS youth league
by Anonymous - 09/26/20 10:41 AM
B2010:U11 Fall 2020/Spring 2021
by Anonymous - 09/25/20 11:17 PM
BOTN en Espaol
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
8-year-old boy dies after team's first soccer practice
#705367 05/03/18 11:14 AM
Chief Rocker
Back of THE NET
OP Online
Chief Rocker
Back of THE NET
SOURCE: Fox News

A West Virginia family is mourning the devastating loss of their 8-year-old son, who collapsed suddenly after playing soccer with friends. Caleb Ray had just finished his team’s first practice on Thursday when he told his father he wasn’t feeling well, WSAZ reported.

“He told me, ‘Daddy I can’t see,’” Ryan Ray told the news outlet. “He fell and started convulsing a little bit. I yelled over there to call an ambulance and everybody came running over and Kristy and I performed CPR on him until the ambulance arrived.”

Paramedics were not able to revive the boy, and the Rays did not have access a defibrillator during their CPR efforts. They said they plan to use donations raised in honor of their son to buy defibrillators for local teams. The Rays also want to work with lawmakers to ensure that the life-saving device is on-hand at every practice and game.

“The fact that he was taken from us so soon it cannot be for nothing,” Kristy Ray, the boy’s mother, told the news outlet. “Something good has to come from this, and the type of child he was, he would want us to do this.”

Kristy Ray said she has video of her son jumping around and acting normally 10 minutes before tragedy struck. She said her son had a heart murmur as an infant and a mild case of asthma, but had never shown any signs of health issues. The devastated parents, who also have a young daughter, are now urging other parents to have their children examined before allowing them to play sports.

“We think about their safety in every other aspect,” Kristy Ray told WSAZ. “We don’t what them playing if it’s too slick, if there’s lightening, if it’s too hot.”

She said they plan to have the boy’s sister examined before allowing her to resume playing soccer.

“We don’t want her to do anything strenuous until we get a cardiac work up on her,” she said. “We’re scared. We’re scared it’s going to happen again. The chances are probably slim, but if it’s any chance we don’t want to take it.”

Like Reply Quote
Junior Soccer Advertisements

Re: 8-year-old boy dies after team's first soccer practice
Larry Miller #705378 05/03/18 12:30 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Ugh, so sorry for their lose....puts everything in perspective, enjoy every moment...

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #705380 05/03/18 01:08 PM
Chief Rocker
Back of THE NET
OP Online
Chief Rocker
Back of THE NET
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Ugh, so sorry for their lose....puts everything in perspective, enjoy every moment...

Dont you think the moment would be better enjoyed if every field, team or club had a defibrillator in their possession just in case? I do.

Like Reply Quote
Larry Miller #705381 05/03/18 01:21 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Larry Miller

Dont you think the moment would be better enjoyed if every field, team or club had a defibrillator in their possession just in case? I do.

100% right Larry. What a shame. My worst nightmare. My heart goes out to that family and little boy. R.I.P.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #705383 05/03/18 01:48 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Larry Miller

100% right Larry. What a shame. My worst nightmare. My heart goes out to that family and little boy. R.I.P.

It should be MANDATORY.

Like Reply Quote
Larry Miller #705387 05/03/18 02:51 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Absolutely it should be mandatory. This is not too much to ask.

Like Reply Quote
Larry Miller #705389 05/03/18 03:03 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My club mandates yearly training and mandatory Defibs on the field for every game....

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #705390 05/03/18 03:11 PM
Chief Rocker
Back of THE NET
OP Online
Chief Rocker
Back of THE NET
My club mandates yearly training and mandatory Defibs on the field for every game....

What club is that?

Like Reply Quote
Larry Miller #705480 05/04/18 03:32 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
In this litigious society I'm surprised more towns and facilities don't have them. Yes they cost some money but what happens when someone slaps a lawsuit on you for not having one. We live in a more rural area and it takes a decent amount of time for first responders to get to emergencies. It isn't just participants that might need it but also spectators, coaches, anyone playing in a park...

FWIW: our pediatrician is crazy precautious and encouraged our kids seeing a pediatric cardiologist and getting tested prior to high school athletics. When you hear of stories like this one it's more often teens and young adults. It's unusual in a younger child. Insurance covered most of it and it definitely gave us peace of mind.

Like Reply Quote
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click Here!