Fall '20 Scores & Standings:| G-ECNL | G-ECRL | B-ECNL | B-ECRL | EDP | GA | LIJSL | MLS NXT | NCSANJ | WYSL |

Forum Search
Fall 2020
Scores & Standings
Girls Academy League
GA Schedule & Standings
MLS Next Scores & Standings
Scores & Standings
National League Playoffs
2020-21 National Playoffs
EDP 2020/2021
Scores & Standings
WYSL Scores & Standings
Fall '20 Scores & Standings
LIJSL Scores & Standings
Scores & Standings
ENY State Cups 2020-2021
Challenge Cup
NY State Cup
Latest Posts
B2010:U11 Fall 2020/Spring 2021
by Anonymous - 09/29/20 05:14 PM
The new MLS youth league
by Anonymous - 09/29/20 04:52 PM
G2008:U13 Fall 2020/Spring 2021
by Anonymous - 09/29/20 02:56 PM
G2006:U15 Fall 2020/Spring 2021
by Anonymous - 09/29/20 07:51 AM
G2007:U14 Fall 2020/Spring 2021
by Anonymous - 09/28/20 08:48 PM
BOTN en Espaol
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Must Read Story - U.S. Soccer blundered badly on high school soccer
#704307 04/20/18 07:10 PM
Chief Rocker
Back of THE NET
OP Online
Chief Rocker
Back of THE NET
U.S. Soccer blundered badly on high school soccer
by Mike Woitalla..Soccer America

American soccer, so plagued by the pay-to-play problem. If only there was youth soccer that didn't charge kids so much money.
Hold on! It does exist, and it’s massive. Nationwide. It’s called high school soccer.

Sometimes, hundreds of people show up for a high school game, the players are celebrated on campus, rivalries date back for decades, there’s even local media coverage.

Not always, but often around the country, high school games create a special kind of atmosphere in the stadium.

As you enter, there’s a snack bar with homemade baked goods and hot chocolate to raise money for senior night, the annual game when parents tear up like they do at graduation.

There’s a scoreboard, a PA announcer, and music blasting from the mixtape the captains compiled -- making sure they downloaded the censored versions of the latest rap songs -- while the players warm up.

Players from the same clubs play against each other – and the parents who usually root together are on separate sides after exchanging pleasantries. Postgame they congratulate and console each other.

Some club coaches are there too, proud that they’ve got current or former players on the teams. They mingle with the parents and catch up on old times. The boys team shows up to cheer on the girls, or vice versa. Friends and boyfriends and girlfriends are in the stands. The class clowns are leading cheers and jeers.

High school soccer differs from club soccer not just by exposing players to the pressure and exhilaration of playing in front of crowds, it also puts players from ages 14 to 18 -- from freshmen to seniors -- on the same field.

None of that is seems to impress the U.S. Soccer Federation.

It started on the boys’ side. When U.S. Soccer launched the boys Development Academy in 2007, it allowed a break for high school soccer. But in 2012, it introduced a 10-month DA season and banned high school play.

Jurgen Klinsmann, the U.S. national team coach at the time, announced that, "If we want our players to someday compete against the best in the world, it is critical for their development that they train and play as much as possible and in the right environment."

One would not expect the German Klinsmann to have any appreciation for American high school sports, but the ban also got the blessing of then U.S. Soccer Youth Technical Director Claudio Reyna, former U.S. World Cup captain and Hall of Famer, a big part of whose youth soccer experience was at St. Benedict’s Prep, the same high school where Tab Ramos, another Hall of Famer who is now the Youth Technical Director, starred.

So, although the likes of Reyna, Ramos, Clint Dempsey and Tim Howard played high school soccer, the Federation had decided that high school soccer was no good for today’s players -- even though for whatever faults the high school game has, it had certainly improved over the years.

The high school vs. club battle predated U.S Soccer’s 2012 decree for its DA. And I imagine U.S. Soccer was doing a favor for the club coaches, who could now blame the Federation when telling kids to give up high school ball. Because it had to have been difficult to tell each of the 20-some players on the roster that sacrificing high school ball would be worthwhile in the long run.

Club coaches may be able to sincerely tell some of their players that they wouldn’t regret forgoing high school ball -- but no way would that be the case for every single player.

But U.S. Soccer was smart on the boys’ side by waiting until the DA was well-established before becoming so heavy-handed. It erred badly on the girls’ side.

The 2017-18 Girls DA season is in its first season and major clubs are already defecting, with the high school issue being a key reason. Those clubs can play in the well-established ECNL, launched in 2009.

Just as Mallory Pugh was emerging as a super talent, with everyone knowing she played high school soccer, in addition to ECNL ball, U.S. Soccer was disparaging high school ball while setting up a league to compete for the nation’s top talent with the ECNL.

Talk about bad timing.

People who know a heckuva a lot about girls and women's soccer, such as Anson Dorrance, Tony DiCicco, Amanda Cromwell, Julie Foudy, disagreed with U.S. Soccer’s attitude toward high school soccer.

But U.S. Soccer believes it’s paramount that kids play in one environment for 10 months. It only allows to DA kids to play in its competitions. Dempsey, when he was a teenager, played club ball, high school and in the Hispanic adult leagues in the East Texas town of Nacogdoches. He’s managed to have a stellar career without having spent 10 months of every year as teen in the same Federation-run environment.

Why the USSF has the confidence to believe only it knows exactly how every child should be coached is hard to see. That it didn’t have the foresight to see how problematic a high school ban would be for the Girls DA is puzzling.

The Federation could have considered that high school soccer is likely even more important for girls than for boys. It could have tried to manage a DA without its strict stance against high school ball.

The quality of high school soccer varies widely around the country. Some players are better off skipping high school ball -- and have since before the boys' DA or girls' ECNL started -- and there are players who will benefit from it. But instead of dismissing high school soccer because it has its flaws, U.S. Soccer could have appreciated its attributes and its potential, regarded it as a partner instead of a nuisance, and even taken steps to improve the high school game.

Now, if U.S. Soccer doesn't reconsider its attitude toward the high school game, it faces a major challenge in making the Girls DA the destination for the nation's top clubs and players.

But it has been clear in recent years that U.S. Soccer believes in a one-size-fits-all approach to youth soccer. That’s a perilous approach in a nation as large and diverse as the USA.

Like Reply Quote
Junior Soccer Advertisements

Re: Must Read Story - U.S. Soccer blundered badly on high school soccer
Larry Miller #704311 04/20/18 07:58 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Easily the best thing I've ever read on here.

Like Reply Quote
Larry Miller #704317 04/20/18 11:56 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have never seen a high school soccer game where I would consider it a stepping stone to elite soccer. High School soccer is rec soccer and nothing good can come from it. I'm not saying that there aren't good or maybe even potentially great players in High School ball. But without a doubt the tactical play is nonexistent and the individual physical play can be dangerous. The biggest thing missing in US Soccer when it comes to the older teenage years is intelligence and tactical awareness. You won't get that in High School ball.....ever!

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #704319 04/21/18 08:09 AM
L
Back of THE NET
Back of THE NET
L
Originally Posted by Anonymous
I have never seen a high school soccer game where I would consider it a stepping stone to elite soccer. High School soccer is rec soccer and nothing good can come from it. I'm not saying that there aren't good or maybe even potentially great players in High School ball. But without a doubt the tactical play is nonexistent and the individual physical play can be dangerous. The biggest thing missing in US Soccer when it comes to the older teenage years is intelligence and tactical awareness. You won't get that in High School ball.....ever!

You obviously have not seen any high level high school teams and you speak as if you have seen high school games that are representative of all the high school games in the USA. That’s just not the case and to prove it many club players do play high school soccer and are very talented.

Like Reply Quote
Larry Miller #704322 04/21/18 09:54 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I actually make it a point to watch the County and LI Semi Final and Finals Games almost every year. So, Yes, I would say that I have seen the better high school teams play. Those teams are very good compared to the average high school team. But, again, the tactical game and intelligent play is just not there.

Like Reply Quote
Larry Miller #704325 04/21/18 12:31 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Arguments about high school or play time or substitution are overblown. Out of all the kids who wanted high school play - all of them got waivers, and that was only a handful.

So far not a single publication did any analysis on real reasons:
- how much the club owner lost because the had to Field one team of 18-20 instead of two teams with same numbers (answer - $120,000)
- how much team coaches lost because they were coaching 4 sessions for 10 months with same stipend from club ( answer- 24 sessions, plus no extra sessions - $30,000 in supplemental session)
- same loss from trainers that would specialize in supplemental training (loss of prestige as best players can’t train)

All these folks that talk about “development” turned on the system that attempted to revolutionize it and cut them out of massive amounts of money. They are the ones that felt the loss and poo-popes some random rules that majority of the kids and parents didn’t care about.

Under the guise ‘these rules suck’ same clubs are holding onto boys DA and singing praise

Like Reply Quote
Larry Miller #704327 04/21/18 01:00 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
100% agree. My daughter wants to Olay school ball and lax while also filling her honor society requirements. There’s also the connection you feel to your school and teammates. It’s much different with girls

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #704346 04/21/18 04:19 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Arguments about high school or play time or substitution are overblown. Out of all the kids who wanted high school play - all of them got waivers, and that was only a handful.

So far not a single publication did any analysis on real reasons:
- how much the club owner lost because the had to Field one team of 18-20 instead of two teams with same numbers (answer - $120,000)
- how much team coaches lost because they were coaching 4 sessions for 10 months with same stipend from club ( answer- 24 sessions, plus no extra sessions - $30,000 in supplemental session)
- same loss from trainers that would specialize in supplemental training (loss of prestige as best players can’t train)

All these folks that talk about “development” turned on the system that attempted to revolutionize it and cut them out of massive amounts of money. They are the ones that felt the loss and poo-popes some random rules that majority of the kids and parents didn’t care about.

Under the guise ‘these rules suck’ same clubs are holding onto boys DA and singing praise

BDA is #1 for boys because it was first and because of MLS involvement. If MLS clubs pull out and do their own thing then what's left of BDA will be in tatters. Boys and girls are very different creatures too. Not only the social piece but even the illusion of being affiliated with professional soccer doesn't matter to virtually any of them. Also, once GDA clubs go down to U12 like BDA then they'll be fielding just as many DA teams as they did ECNL. Yes running DA clubs costs them more money. But if many players leave because they don't like the league? Then none of it matters. They are listening to their customers. Ultimately they fill the coffers, not USSF.

Like Reply Quote
Larry Miller #704377 04/22/18 07:33 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
$120k loss is is when you compare GDA + ECNL vs 2 ECNL teams. U12/U13 are a wash in this scenario to the club owner. They are a little as to a team coach who would otherwise make money from running additional sessions for those players.

The club owners are saying GDA is not suitable for development for girls, but same conditions are suitable for boys. That is extremely naive and sexist.

The customers I spoke to from other clubs were angry that they only had 3 training sessions and because of huge team size - very little play time. This is the area where clubs failed - what happened to the 4th session? Why have a huge team size (22-24) when only 18 can dress? Same things happen when NJ clubs have 20-25 players on their ECNL roster- except the number of training sessions goes from 3 to 2. Results are easy to validate from results in GDA showcases - you can easily correlate teams with smaller team sizes and 4 training sessions with better results.

Like Reply Quote
Larry Miller #704379 04/22/18 09:43 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thanks Mike Woitalla for stating the obvious, this has been reguratated so many time that I have lost count. The GDA is not for everyone, simple. I do believe that the USSDA needs to adjust some issues, but overall our family is very happy with our situation.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #704383 04/22/18 10:57 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thanks Mike Woitalla for stating the obvious, this has been reguratated so many time that I have lost count. The GDA is not for everyone, simple. I do believe that the USSDA needs to adjust some issues, but overall our family is very happy with our situation.

I don't think that the point is whether your family is very happy with your situation in the DA. Rather, it's whether or not the DA is set up in a way that will attract the top girls' soccer talent to its program since it's goal is to develop the best talent on a path to the USWNT. If your daughter is one of those girls, then great. But the point is that for a lot of the top talented girls, HS sports is important enough to forego the DA. And with a lot of those girls skipping the DA, does the DA actually provide the best opportunity for those girls who do decide to join to develop? Or does ECNL provide enough of a similar opportunity that does not require giving up HS sports?

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #704387 04/22/18 12:25 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I don't think that the point is whether your family is very happy with your situation in the DA. Rather, it's whether or not the DA is set up in a way that will attract the top girls' soccer talent to its program since it's goal is to develop the best talent on a path to the USWNT. If your daughter is one of those girls, then great. But the point is that for a lot of the top talented girls, HS sports is important enough to forego the DA. And with a lot of those girls skipping the DA, does the DA actually provide the best opportunity for those girls who do decide to join to develop? Or does ECNL provide enough of a similar opportunity that does not require giving up HS sports?

ECNL sucks, and the parents are even worse. What a bunch of unhappy ingrates, holier than thou hypocrites, who bashed NPL and USYS every day, until DA came along, now they bash from the bottom looking up...

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #704393 04/22/18 04:51 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

ECNL sucks, and the parents are even worse. What a bunch of unhappy ingrates, holier than thou hypocrites, who bashed NPL and USYS every day, until DA came along, now they bash from the bottom looking up...

Says the holier than thou DA dad. Potmeet kettle.

Great you're happy DA dad; just keep in mind it might not last as the league changes. Now there's something for everyone; no need to rub everyone's nose in it.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #704397 04/22/18 05:39 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Great you're happy DA dad; just keep in mind it might not last as the league changes. Now there's something for everyone; no need to rub everyone's nose in it.

So its okay to sit back and watch these ECNL tools bash the GDA, I don’t think so, fight fire with logic does not work with this crowd, you get one of ours, we’ll get one of yours, simple.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #704431 04/23/18 06:25 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

So its okay to sit back and watch these ECNL tools bash the GDA, I don’t think so, fight fire with logic does not work with this crowd, you get one of ours, we’ll get one of yours, simple.

It’s an anonymous Internet forum. So important!

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #704440 04/23/18 09:04 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Back to the point of the thread......

High School ball should be an option for kids who may benefit from it. Clearly some areas/schools are more beneficial than others, which is why the kids should have the option to play or not.
There is little argument to the level of play, but HS ball is much more than that. It is about leadership, maturity and teamwork. These things are every bit as important in the development of a good all around strong player. If the opportunity exists to develop these traits by playing school ball, then the kids should have the option to do so.

Right here on Long Island, ask Crystal Dunn if she would take a pass on her HS career. She would not trade it for anything. Development is more than a skill set. It is a mentally that can be developed through participating in HS ball.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #704441 04/23/18 09:09 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If you think all DA parents are happy with GDA you're very much mistaken. Why do you think many want to leave? Many boys leave the system each year as well. DA has some serious flaws and isn't for everyone. So does ECNL. Pick the poison that is best for your kid. No need to trash talk the other.

- GDA parent

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #704442 04/23/18 09:13 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

High School ball should be an option for kids who may benefit from it. Clearly some areas/schools are more beneficial than others, which is why the kids should have the option to play or not.
There is little argument to the level of play, but HS ball is much more than that. It is about leadership, maturity and teamwork. These things are every bit as important in the development of a good all around strong player. If the opportunity exists to develop these traits by playing school ball, then the kids should have the option to do so.

Right here on Long Island, ask Crystal Dunn if she would take a pass on her HS career. She would not trade it for anything. Development is more than a skill set. It is a mentally that can be developed through participating in HS ball.

Not in either camp, but why are t leadership, maturity and teamwork exclusive to HS ? Also what does Dunns experience have to do with anyone else? we are all different. Those that want HS can play it. What i dont get is a family joining the GDA KNOWING THE RULES and then complaining.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #704463 04/23/18 10:53 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Not in either camp, but why are t leadership, maturity and teamwork exclusive to HS ? Also what does Dunns experience have to do with anyone else? we are all different. Those that want HS can play it. What i dont get is a family joining the GDA KNOWING THE RULES and then complaining.

I agree the issue of HS is not an exclusive issue for GDA. My daughter played HS, did well, team won States, yet absolutely hated it. Fortunately played with many good players for HS but if she could do it again I think she would have skipped it.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #704467 04/23/18 11:03 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have a daughter playing D1 at a great soccer school and have a daughter who was “walking the fence” about playing DA or stay at ECNL. I polled the vast majority of these college players who are all amazing athletes and everyone said they would never have given up playing high school. They all to this day said there high school experience playing soccer enhanced there time in high school. GDA with there arrogance thought by dangling the hopes of being invited to National Camp players would give up there high school sports. Such arrogance by the USSF. The attacks on GDA have more to do with how they effect the lives of these young ladies. There has never been a problem in the past of identifying talent rather this was about the USSF wanting to take over girls soccer and instead falling on there face in year 1. My younger daughter is looking forward to her last year of playing high school soccer as a Captain and finishing up with ECNL. Some of her DA friends said they also missed playing high school and can’t wait to return in the Fall.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #704474 04/23/18 12:37 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have a daughter playing D1 at a great soccer school and have a daughter who was “walking the fence” about playing DA or stay at ECNL. I polled the vast majority of these college players who are all amazing athletes and everyone said they would never have given up playing high school. They all to this day said there high school experience playing soccer enhanced there time in high school. GDA with there arrogance thought by dangling the hopes of being invited to National Camp players would give up there high school sports. Such arrogance by the USSF. The attacks on GDA have more to do with how they effect the lives of these young ladies. There has never been a problem in the past of identifying talent rather this was about the USSF wanting to take over girls soccer and instead falling on there face in year 1. My younger daughter is looking forward to her last year of playing high school soccer as a Captain and finishing up with ECNL. Some of her DA friends said they also missed playing high school and can’t wait to return in the Fall.

I would not poll others. I would just ask my child what she preferred and why? Its a dumb to compare 'memories" . I bet there are kids with unpleasant HS stories as well. Your rush to judge in one year is a sign that you have an agenda. i dont have any resentment towards you choosing ECNL, why do you seem to have it towards those who choose different ?

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #704480 04/23/18 01:56 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
No agenda whatsoever, just giving my thoughts which seem contrary to yours and you seem to have a problem when someone says that the USSF have failed our girls in year 1 of this program. Parents all have different opinions but when high level we’ll respected clubs who are known for there success thru training decide to leave DA then that is proof enough that our girls are pawns in the soccer community and the USSF trying to ruin ECNL. I am sure there were extensive talks among these clubs and USSF and it’s clear by them leaving that USSF think they know better than everyone else. Such arrogance. The fact that you say “it’s dumb to compare memories” speaks for itself about your thoughts and agenda. Enjoy DA next season if that is your daughters choice and her choice alone.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #704487 04/23/18 02:42 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
No agenda whatsoever, just giving my thoughts which seem contrary to yours and you seem to have a problem when someone says that the USSF have failed our girls in year 1 of this program. Parents all have different opinions but when high level we’ll respected clubs who are known for there success thru training decide to leave DA then that is proof enough that our girls are pawns in the soccer community and the USSF trying to ruin ECNL. I am sure there were extensive talks among these clubs and USSF and it’s clear by them leaving that USSF think they know better than everyone else. Such arrogance. The fact that you say “it’s dumb to compare memories” speaks for itself about your thoughts and agenda. Enjoy DA next season if that is your daughters choice and her choice alone.

I dont have any problem at all. Please, just name the CLUB that has failed you child because the GDA has done just fine for many kids. As son as you start with the USSF ruin ECNL agenda i just lose all interest. Just do what right by your kid and be good with it. I dont care 2 hoots about extensive talks and the egos of both sides. What does Crystal Dunns memories have to do with my child's experiences? not much. Different time, different era.

GDA, ECNL, NPL ..whatever, your child is going to get out what she puts in. All these excuses I read blaming leagues etc. I just dont buy. Pick onethat suits you,work hard and you will be fine.

My kid is a done in 3 months. Played in the ECNL and the GDA made no difference whatsoever compared to the coaching and the training and her effort. College soccer will be more of the seam - she will get out of it what she puts in as long as she manages to stay healthy.

sorry you think that PoV reflects an agenda.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #704488 04/23/18 02:44 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

oh an they are not really your thoughts are they. you are basing it all of other peoples opinions,memories and actions

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #704493 04/23/18 03:35 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

There are so many girls travel clubs (and levels within those clubs) that play just as badly as any average high school. Heck that is where these high school girls play their club ball ! The GDA etc is really only for a select small percentage of the entire girls population. Let that small population of players miss out on their HS experience all because of an unrealistic chance to play for team USA one day. Good luck. Then let the vast majority of those play their HS ball and have fun. LeBron James, Tom Brady and Michelle Wie all played their respective sports in high school and it worked out for them. The problem is not HS ball but soccer IQ. How many of these girls sit and watch a professional match on a regular basis? Or even attend one? How many play pick up soccer in the park? How many parents encourage those types of things? Very, very few do any of that. They have been taught that soccer ends when practice is over. It is treated like a subject in school with parents looking for the best coach (tutor) for their kid....and the kids looking to get a passing grade to please coach and mommy/daddy. If you asked most of them to give up their phone or soccer on any given day you know the answer...

Like Reply Quote
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click Here!