Fall '20 Scores & Standings:| CJSL | G-ECNL | G-ECRL | B-ECNL | B-ECRL | EDP | GA | LIJSL | MLS NXT | NCSANJ | WYSL |

Signup 4 Newsletters

Forum Search
Fall 2020
Scores & Standings
Girls Academy League
GA Schedule & Standings
MLS Next Scores & Standings
Scores & Standings
National League Playoffs
2020-21 National Playoffs
EDP 2020/2021
Scores & Standings
WYSL Scores & Standings
Fall '20 Scores & Standings
LIJSL Scores & Standings
Scores & Standings
ENY State Cups 2020-2021
Challenge Cup
NY State Cup
Maxpreps High School
New York
New Jersey
Connecticut
Maryland
Latest Posts
B2010:U11 Fall 2020/Spring 2021
by Anonymous - 11/26/20 10:00 PM
BHS (2004:U17, 2003:U18, 2002:U19) Fall 2020/Spring 2021
by Cross It 4 Fun - 11/26/20 08:36 PM
G2008:U13 Fall 2020/Spring 2021
by Anonymous - 11/26/20 10:56 AM
Stony Brook SC & Atletico FC Merge
by Anonymous - 11/26/20 10:48 AM
Where are all the Referees?
by Anonymous - 11/26/20 09:25 AM
BOTN en Espańol
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
What is the difference between NPL and ECNL
#703234 03/29/18 09:08 AM
D
Dukes69 Offline OP
Back of THE NET
OP Offline
Back of THE NET
D
Hello Listmates:

I was wondering if someone could advise on the difference is between NCL and ECNL. My kid curently plays in LIJSL premier and some friends have told me that if my kid wants to get more serious, she should consider NCL on Long Island andnot ECNL or DA. (less travel?)

What is the commtment?

Which teams are recommended?

Thank you for your advice.

Dukes69
Like Reply Quote
Junior Soccer Advertisements

Re: What is the difference between NPL and ECNL
Dukes69 #703610 04/09/18 12:55 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
LIJSL is recreational soccer- Unless you have delusions about receiving a bunch of scholarship money or a professional career making 23K a year, let your child play where she is happy and has the positive experience being a key player on a recreational sports team- Or you can go the alphabet route and annually spend 5K for the soccer and another 5K in expenses and lost weekends traveling all over the eastern seaboard and very likely end up unsuccessful and embittered - Not a very tough choice is it?

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #703615 04/09/18 01:48 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
LIJSL is recreational soccer- Unless you have delusions about receiving a bunch of scholarship money or a professional career making 23K a year, let your child play where she is happy and has the positive experience being a key player on a recreational sports team- Or you can go the alphabet route and annually spend 5K for the soccer and another 5K in expenses and lost weekends traveling all over the eastern seaboard and very likely end up unsuccessful and embittered - Not a very tough choice is it?

A typical loser response. Answer the posters question and let him/her decide. Stop being so bitter about a league(s) your kid can't play for.

Like Reply Quote
Dukes69 #703618 04/09/18 02:22 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Dukes69
Hello Listmates:

I was wondering if someone could advise on the difference is between NCL and ECNL. My kid curently plays in LIJSL premier and some friends have told me that if my kid wants to get more serious, she should consider NCL on Long Island andnot ECNL or DA. (less travel?)

What is the commtment?

Honestly, you cant compare NPL and ECNL. ECNL is neck and neck with GDA as the top league in the country with very limited membership(Albertson and East Meadow) on Long Island and NPL is a step above LIJSL with many teams on Long Island like Brentwood and Masapequa.

ECNL allow you to play against PDA, World Class, CFC, and many other top clubs. They have incredible college showcases. If your child is a top level player GDA or ECNL is the only answer.

NPL is for third tier talent

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #703626 04/09/18 03:00 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

A typical loser response. Answer the posters question and let him/her decide. Stop being so bitter about a league(s) your kid can't play for.

My Son played at the Highest Levels and in College- You are wrong but I have a feeling this isn't an isolated incident-

Truthful answers offend you because you have an agenda to serve-

The Poster has received my cogent answer to the question-

You may provide a myopic retort driven by your agenda-

Go for it, little man- Peace-

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #703627 04/09/18 03:38 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

My Son played at the Highest Levels and in College- You are wrong but I have a feeling this isn't an isolated incident-

Truthful answers offend you because you have an agenda to serve-

The Poster has received my cogent answer to the question-

You may provide a myopic retort driven by your agenda-

Go for it, little man- Peace-

No dawg in this fight but you still didn’t answer the original posters question. You merely ducked a question to bash two leagues. I guess answering the question is too difficult for you but if you don’t know the answer, don’t post.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #703633 04/09/18 04:43 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hello Listmates:

What is the commtment?

Honestly, you cant compare NPL and ECNL. ECNL is neck and neck with GDA as the top league in the country with very limited membership(Albertson and East Meadow) on Long Island and NPL is a step above LIJSL with many teams on Long Island like Brentwood and Masapequa.

ECNL allow you to play against PDA, World Class, CFC, and many other top clubs. They have incredible college showcases. If your child is a top level player GDA or ECNL is the only answer.

You must be new to this or have your head up your *$$. If you look back over the last few years you will see that a number of NPL teams have better records against ECNL teams than you could imagine. You see a few good ECNL teams and believe they are representative of the league, not true. Same appl ies to NPL or GDA. The quality of a team or its players are not based on the league. You will never win this fight because it is just not true.

Like Reply Quote
Dukes69 #703634 04/09/18 04:44 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You can try to do NPL for a year before jumping to ECNL or GDA if you're daughter's already 12 or 13. If you're younger, try the jump from LIJSL to NPL so you can save on the travel and expense for a bit as she figures out her place.

ECNL and DA will be an enormous jump from LI. Most likely too much but not totally impossible. Strong NPL will still be hard, but much less of a jump vs. those top 2 leagues. Speed of play will be hardest thing to deal with. Try to contact DOCs to get a practice in if they'll allow it.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #703638 04/09/18 05:29 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You can try to do NPL for a year before jumping to ECNL or GDA if you're daughter's already 12 or 13. If you're younger, try the jump from LIJSL to NPL so you can save on the travel and expense for a bit as she figures out her place.

ECNL and DA will be an enormous jump from LI. Most likely too much but not totally impossible. Strong NPL will still be hard, but much less of a jump vs. those top 2 leagues. Speed of play will be hardest thing to deal with. Try to contact DOCs to get a practice in if they'll allow it.

I agree with the spirit of this note, but another way to do it is to go to tryouts for both ECNL and NPL teams and see how your kid does in those situations. If she shows well enough at an ECNL tryout that the club gives her an offer, then you can decide if it's a good fit for her. And if she doesn't get an offer, at least she'll know what's out there. Same with trying out for an NPL team.

And if she doesn't get an offer at those clubs to join their top team, it might be a reasonable fit for her to join their 2nd team. That would give her some opportunity to stay connected to those clubs even if she doesn't make the cut for the 1st team.

It never hurts to give it a try.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #703657 04/10/18 06:08 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hello Listmates:

What is the commtment?

This is nonsense (and my kid doesn’t play NPL) but there are examples all over where kids are on ECNL teams while others with clearly more skill are playing NPL, EDP, wherever. It’s 100% accurate to say if you’re willing to pay the freight, know some folks in a team, and your kid has a pulse, you can find an ECNL club to take your kid. Same goes for specialized training and grand trips, if you want to pay, you can go. Skill and ability are a lagging indicators for selection. So yes, be focused on finding a place where your kid is happy and enjoying the experience. That’s the only direction to head in

Like Reply Quote
Dukes69 #703685 04/10/18 10:40 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
arguments are so tiresome. No league has ALL the best players. not that it matters, but I believe if we adjusted the ages and had a national All GDA team play a round robin with all ECNL and all NPL , GDA would win more often than not. dont think there would be many NE players on the All GDA team tho. there may be more on the other 2.

thats the crux of why there is an argument.

You dont need ECNL or GDA to play good soccer , get recruited and have a nice College career. One could argue that those 2 leagues pour a lot of $$ into making it easier to be "seen" but is that really important? case by case. If good enough its really not an issue.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #703712 04/10/18 04:22 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Why is it then that some NPL teams beat ECNL teams regularly?

Hello Listmates:

What is the commtment?

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #703726 04/10/18 10:28 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Hello Listmates:

What is the commtment?

The best NPL teams can beat the worst ECNL teams, no question.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #703821 04/12/18 12:57 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Hello Listmates:

What is the commtment?

The best NPL teams can beat the worst ECNL teams, no question.

Just as many ECNL teams beat lower level GDA teams. There is no true line separating leagues, but a giant fuzzy blur once you step away from the top talent and teams.

As for the NPL being 3rd comment - so what if it is? It seems like the thread OP is trying to figure out the landscape and where his player should go next. NPL might be the best fit for her now and in the future. Jumping from LISC to ECNL or GDA might not only be impossible but also not the right move. Sitting in the "Best" league (whatever that is) is good for no one.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #704066 04/17/18 11:46 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Looks like we go full circle to my original response- Yes - Your kid can try and hate the alphabet experience and then try to come back only to find that the LIJSL team she loved is folding up and dead- and now her and 12 other girls will leave soccer forever- for what?? 1 out of a thousand kids get the pot of gold from soccer and if your kid isn't already in the alphabet pipeline by U 13, the odds are 10 times worse- A bunch of daddies will pathetically try to defend wasting 25K over time on a youth soccer career when their kid would have been just as happy ( or more so) playing LIJSL with her friends- and daddy would after an extra 25K in his bank book- super delusional folks mostly deceiving themselves here- And a bunch of kids suffer-

Like Reply Quote
Dukes69 #704724 04/26/18 10:22 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Just do what is right for your kid and your family circumstance and dont let anyone convince you otherwise....good luck

Like Reply Quote
Dukes69 #707553 06/02/18 10:08 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Eastern and Met Oval to join NYCSL NPL next season

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #707574 06/03/18 01:59 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Eastern and Met Oval to join NYCSL NPL next season

Eastern was already in npl but voluntarily took a step down to Metro going back up does not mean a more compeitive npl.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #707828 06/05/18 07:46 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
How small is your dong? It clearly explains your self-esteem issues and need to compensate anonymously on an internet comment board.

Like Reply Quote
Dukes69 #707880 06/06/18 08:07 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
At the end of June, I guess we will see if NPL teams can match up against ECNL teams. At the ENPL championships in Lancaster, MA, the top 2 NPL teams from the various NPL leagues (like EDP and NYCSL) for older age groups (U14 and older) will compete against the top 2 ECNL teams from the various ECNL conferences. Also on the same weekend and same location, there is the NPL finals championships that consist of the 3rd and 4th place NPL teams from the various NPL leagues playing against the 3rd and 4th place ECNL teams from the various ECNL conferences. It should be a great, long weekend of games.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #707882 06/06/18 08:27 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hello Listmates:

What is the commtment?

You must be new to this or have your head up your *$$. If you look back over the last few years you will see that a number of NPL teams have better records against ECNL teams than you could imagine. You see a few good ECNL teams and believe they are representative of the league, not true. Same appl ies to NPL or GDA. The quality of a team or its players are not based on the league. You will never win this fight because it is just not true.

parents want to generalize based on a league. the best thing to do is look at the local (withing 45 mns drive) team options for you and then prioritize based on that. Forget leagues. parents think that the more you pay , the better they are, its not true.

Like Reply Quote
Dukes69 #707996 06/07/18 07:30 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Looks like we go full circle to my original response- Yes - Your kid can try and hate the alphabet experience and then try to come back only to find that the LIJSL team she loved is folding up and dead- and now her and 12 other girls will leave soccer forever- for what?? 1 out of a thousand kids get the pot of gold from soccer and if your kid isn't already in the alphabet pipeline by U 13, the odds are 10 times worse- A bunch of daddies will pathetically try to defend wasting 25K over time on a youth soccer career when their kid would have been just as happy ( or more so) playing LIJSL with her friends- and daddy would after an extra 25K in his bank book- super delusional folks mostly deceiving themselves here- And a bunch of kids suffer-

25k is paying off for us.

As late as u14 there was no indication it would

Nobody knows who will develop in terms of loving the sport as a lifetime endeavor and as far as being talented enough

And that 25k likely goes to another extracurricular if not soccer. Wouldn't be money saved.

Like Reply Quote
Dukes69 #708404 06/13/18 06:31 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi Duke -

I have a daughter and a son in the NPL and ECNL leagues, so here's my simple take on it:

NPL is a very respectable league and plays better quality teams than can be found in LIJ, and the games are more geographically spread out but still fairly local (think LI, NJ, NYC, Westchester and slightly North of it), Teams typically play 1 league game per weekend (so it's only a day trip at most) and also play in the NYS Cup (group play and then knockout rounds if qualify) as well as in 3-5 National Showcase tournaments each year, such as Jefferson Cup, Delco, PDA, CASL and Disney in effort to get the children seen by college coaches. The costs associated with training and travel could be around $8-10K per year or even higher, which is largely driven by the number and location of showcase tournaments teams enter. I have found each far-away tournament (Disney in Florida, CASL in N Carolina) costs around $2,000 - $2,500 a weekend due to airline, hotel and meals, but those costs can be decreased by driving instead of flying.

ECNL is considered one of the top leagues in the country. There are two games per weekend (one Sat & one Sun) anywhere from VA to MA, with travel weekends and overnight stays, as well as national showcase tournaments. In light of that, the costs are higher in than NPL because of the travel weekends, but the level of play is also higher and supposedly there is more exposure to college coaches (the jury is still out for that one, as my one child was new to ECNL this past year and it's "early" for them in the college recruiting process; see more below) .

Both leagues do not play in the fall during the high school soccer season when at those age groups and allow children to play school ball. You can plan on giving up holidays (showcase tournaments are typically around Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's Eve, Spring Break, Memorial Day, etc.) and in reality, the kids MIGHT get the month of July off, depending whether their team qualifies for some form of National Event by doing well in their league or winning the Cup before returning some time in August for school ball pre-season.

If you don't have the ability to meet the financial or time commitments, there are other options, such as playing in LIJ and also trying out for NYS ODP. As a matter of fact, most college athlete data intake sheets ask "What League, What team, and What Level of ODP" does/did your child play.

Girls tend to be recruited for college earlier than boys, starting let's say in the 9th grade, while boys, who develop both physically and mentally later than girls, typically get recruited with nibbles in the 10th grade and in earnest in the 11th grade.

For what it's worth, this has been my experience, and like the investment commercial say, "prior performance does not guarantee future results", and each child could have a different experience and tale to tell.

Bottom line: If your child has the talent and desire, and you have the financial means and time, the better the player is the farther away you will/will have to travel to keep them moving forward in the game, particularly if you they have aspirations of playing in college, and especially if at a D1 level. These leagues are obviously a much bigger commitment for the entire family than LIJ, and ultimately the child has to HAVE THE ABILITY, LOVE and WANT it for it to be worth the sacrifice and investment. To me, I will miss my time spent with my children on the fields, in the cars and on the planes, but I know they are fit, focused, well-adjusted, out of trouble, surrounded by good people, school-oriented and college bound, so if I had to do it all over again I wouldn't change a thing.

Like Reply Quote
Dukes69 #708680 06/18/18 05:43 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have a question. Are there different divisions in NPL or does it just go by region?

Like Reply Quote
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click Here!