Fall '20 Scores & Standings:| G-ECNL | G-ECRL | B-ECNL | B-ECRL | EDP | GA | LIJSL | MLS NXT | NCSANJ | WYSL |

Forum Search
Fall 2020
Scores & Standings
Girls Academy League
GA Schedule & Standings
MLS Next Scores & Standings
Scores & Standings
National League Playoffs
2020-21 National Playoffs
EDP 2020/2021
Scores & Standings
WYSL Scores & Standings
Fall '20 Scores & Standings
LIJSL Scores & Standings
Scores & Standings
ENY State Cups 2020-2021
Challenge Cup
NY State Cup
Latest Posts
G2007:U14 Fall 2020/Spring 2021
by Anonymous - 09/27/20 12:58 PM
SUSA Refund Letter
by Anonymous - 09/27/20 12:19 PM
The new MLS youth league
by Anonymous - 09/27/20 10:35 AM
BOTN en Espańol
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
WHEN SHOULD MY HIGH SCHOOL STUDENT COMMIT TO A COLLEGE?
#669618 12/08/16 02:03 PM
Chief Rocker
Back of THE NET
OP Online
Chief Rocker
Back of THE NET
I am the mom of a 10th grade girls soccer player who plays at the highest level in our club here in California. My question has to do with committing to a college in 10th grade. One of the girls on our team just committed to a school and she, like my daughter is only in first semester of sophomore year. My daughter has not taken any tests yet or any AP or Honors classes to establish a GPA.

With the rules that say a coach cant contact my daughter how does a sophomore get committed? It really makes us feel we are now behind the 8 ball and need to speed up and get an offer. Can you explain how this happens and should we be concerned for our daughter?
Jennifer H.
Calabasses, CA

Our answer is from Michele “Bud” Nagamine, Head Women’s Coach at Division 1 University of Hawaii Rainbow Wahine, coming off their best-ever year in program history, Bud writes:

Jennifer-

First of all, it’s important for players and parents to understand that collegiate soccer programs and student athletes all move through the recruiting process at different paces. If a program is in the top 25-50 schools in the country, they usually move through the process much earlier than other schools. If a player is on a National Team or in the National Pool, they usually commit earlier than others. This is neither good nor bad; it just is what it is for each respective program and player.

The decision to commit early is entirely up to the individual. Some players know exactly where they want to go to school and what they want to study, so when that school expresses interest in them, they jump at the chance to commit. Some players have no idea what schools will be a good match for them, so they may opt to take numerous unofficial visits to look at campuses and meet the team/coach face to face. The most important thing is to do as much research as possible on the school, the coach and the soccer program. Since the NCAA Division 1 rules prohibit college coaches from contacting sophomores, your club or high school coach becomes an extremely important part of the recruiting puzzle. Your coach can communicate with college coaches and assist in setting up times to talk or can relay information back and forth.

Although we are not allowed to contact you, you can contact us anytime via phone, text or email. If possible, you can leave a message that says “Hello, this is _________ from __________ soccer club and I graduate in ___________. My coach is _____________ and I play (position). I will be calling you again at _________(give time).

This allows the coach to plan accordingly and do their best to be available for your call. Most importantly, don’t worry! If your daughter works hard in the classroom and focuses on being the best soccer player she can be, things will fall into place. She should cast a wide net and identify 20-30 schools she is interested in and do as much research as possible on each school. If she markets herself and attends ID camps, she will be found. Remember to always play for a coach that wants you! Mahalo and good luck!

Michele “Bud” Nagamine
Head Coach, Women’s Soccer
University of Hawai’i
Cell: (808) 330-8326
Office: (808) 956-4525
www.hawaiiathletics.com

Like Reply Quote
Junior Soccer Advertisements

Re: WHEN SHOULD MY HIGH SCHOOL STUDENT COMMIT TO A COLLEGE?
Larry Miller #670805 12/29/16 08:45 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thanks for that!

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #699496 01/06/18 01:39 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have seen articles in the local paper when a player talks about continuing at a top ranked colllege only, a few months later, to find out that the player has switched to another rival within the conference, like ACC. Typically it’s to a lower ranked program. Is this because they didn’t sign a nli or they got a better offer. I am very curious. Of course there are rumors about social media violations etc.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #699500 01/06/18 06:28 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
I have seen articles in the local paper when a player talks about continuing at a top ranked colllege only, a few months later, to find out that the player has switched to another rival within the conference, like ACC. Typically it’s to a lower ranked program. Is this because they didn’t sign a nli or they got a better offer. I am very curious. Of course there are rumors about social media violations etc.

I can see you are trolling. What's your point?

Like Reply Quote
Larry Miller #699516 01/07/18 10:47 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I would assume that most decent players that are going to play for D1 school will get that NLI IN SEPT - DEC of their JUNIOR YEAR . This is when D1 coaches can actually / legally talk to the player / recruit face to face and offer the athletic scholarship . Does any one else want to add ?? My daughter is in the process right now and if it is confirmed ( her offers) I’ll let you know exactly what we did .

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #699523 01/07/18 12:43 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Your daughter will not sign a NLI until her senior year during the NLI permitted signing time. www.nationalletter.org She can verbally commit at any time even before junior year. The financial package verbally given will be included with the NLI . If you are given a spot on team with no award money you do not sign a NLI.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #699527 01/07/18 06:44 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I would assume that most decent players that are going to play for D1 school will get that NLI IN SEPT - DEC of their JUNIOR YEAR . This is when D1 coaches can actually / legally talk to the player / recruit face to face and offer the athletic scholarship . Does any one else want to add ?? My daughter is in the process right now and if it is confirmed ( her offers) I’ll let you know exactly what we did .

Coaches can talk with players at any time, they just can't initiate the conversations/phone calls. Players as young as 8th grade are committed (not often) but freshman and sophomore year commits for girls are frequent enough to tell you no one abides by the junior year rule. Typically the school will give you a "read" of what you receive in terms of athletic money, merit and Financial Aid. None of it, including the offer from the coach is legally binding. Once your child applies for admission senior year will the financial package be finalized and it's usually consistent with what you were told before. Players sign their NLI Feb 1 of senior year. It basically says you will play for the school for X amount of athletic $. Only then is truly official and binding and you know you have a spot for the next year. Finally, while it doesn't happen often coaches can rescind offers prior to signing. Also school can decide your grades and scores aren't up to snuff - happens mostly with D3 where consideration for athletes is rarely given.

I don't mean to scare you - nine+ times out of ten it all works out as it should. But sometimes it doesn't. Just getting that "offer" isn't the final say. Most important thing is to keep up your grades and your skills. Some kids start to slack off and coaches will keep a close eye on you.

*Only athletes is receiving athletic money sign a NLI. If it's all merit or FA ( which it will be with D3 and can be be with D1 or D2) then there is no NLI. With the exception of 5 power conferences most athletic scholarship agreements are one year at a time. So yes you can lose that money. Merit money stays with you all four years as long as you keep your GPA up and FA doesn't change unless your income does.

Like Reply Quote
Larry Miller #708533 06/15/18 09:30 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Do players do themselves a disservice verbally committing to schools when they are only in 9th & 10th grade? Know it doesn't happen all the time, but is becoming less rare.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #709272 06/28/18 12:47 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Do players do themselves a disservice verbally committing to schools when they are only in 9th & 10th grade? Know it doesn't happen all the time, but is becoming less rare.

Unfortunately it's much more common these days. Tenth isn't ideal but is better than 9th. Most of the better programs and players are locked in by the end of 10th. Some kids are committing as early as 8th grade now. If you wait until early 11th you might get a decent spot, probably very little money. Then the universe shrinks exponentially from there. Boys recruiting is a full year later and much more rational.

That said if your player isn't ready to commit, don't force it. She may miss some opportunities, but making a big mistake that leads to quitting or needing to transfer later on is also very costly

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #710878 08/09/18 10:54 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If you wait until early 11th you might get a decent spot, probably very little money. Then the universe shrinks exponentially from there.

nonesense

you get as much money as your skill demands no matter when you commit.

When you find the right school/coach, commit.

period

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #710880 08/09/18 11:05 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

*Only athletes is receiving athletic money sign a NLI. If it's all merit or FA ( which it will be with D3 and can be be with D1 or D2) then there is no NLI. With the exception of 5 power conferences most athletic scholarship agreements are one year at a time. So yes you can lose that money. Merit money stays with you all four years as long as you keep your GPA up and FA doesn't change unless your income does.

I recall when 4 year deals came around. I posted that we had received these offers only to be called a liar by the site recruiting genius.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #710881 08/09/18 11:07 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

no

you do yourself a disservice if you commit to a school you are not comfortable with in any grade.

Like Reply Quote
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click Here!