FALL '23 Scores & Standings: | CJSL | DPL | G-ECNL | G-ECRL | B-ECNL | B-ECRL | EDP | EDP Recreational | EHYSL | GA | LIJSL
| Elite 64 | MLS NXT | Nat'l League | N.A.L. | NEAL | NCSANJ | North Atlantic Conf. | WYSL |

Latest Posts
Girls High School (School Ball Fall 2023)
by Anonymous - 09/26/23 09:18 AM
B2010:U14 Fall 2023/Spring 2024
by Anonymous - 09/25/23 11:02 PM
LISC Goalkeeper ID Clinic
by Larry Miller - 09/25/23 06:20 PM
Scores & Standings
Fall 2023/Spring 2024
Girls Academy League
GA Fall '23 Schedule & Standings
MLS Next Scores & Standings
Scores & Standings
WYSL Scores & Standings
Fall '23 Scores & Standings
ENY State Cups 2024
NY State Open Cup
ENY Challenge Cup
N.A.L. 2023-2024
N.A.L. Scores & Standings
N.E.A.L. Scores & Standings
N.E.A.L. 2023-2024 Scores & Standings
Maxpreps High School
New York
New Jersey
Connecticut
Maryland
BOTN Translation
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
F
Back of THE NET
OP Offline
Back of THE NET
F
Is there any penalty if one team has two many players on the feild?

Junior Soccer Advertisements

G
Back of THE NET
Back of THE NET
G
The extra player is identified and told to leave the field. That player can also be cautioned, but if the reason for too many players is because the ref screwed up a substitution, that wouldn't be advisable. If the extra player is discovered just after that team has scored a goal, and before the kickoff, the goal is disallowed.

F
Back of THE NET
OP Offline
Back of THE NET
F
Thanks Gary!!

Back of THE NET
Back of THE NET
Gary,

I'd say anytime there are too many players on the field the ref didn't follow the proper subbing procedure and isn't game smart.

Unless a coach maliciously slides on another player behind a refs back, all the subbing is in the refs view.

Players at centerline, let field player off, let sub on, never causes problems.

IMO there is no need to rush this.

Also, if you get a line up card before the game, you'll see when the game starts how many subs are on the bench/sideline.

After each subbing I count the bench/sideline players and if I can't account for them all, I count the field players.

Just this Sunday I had to warn a coach who would yell "sub" and send his troops without waiting for my acknowledgement. (That after at first being nice and telling him to wait for my signal)

I may be patient with U 10's and explain, but if a coach does it at the older levels and "forgets" it's rounds of yellow for everybody , so they learn quickly.

Even then after so many years, I keep on counting the players after each subbing, regardless of correct procedure.

It's good to be paranoid:-)

Back of THE NET
Back of THE NET
Actually TH, I did a game this weekend where I sent a player off to fix some equipment and about 30 seconds later I hear the opposing coach scream "ref.... that player just ran back on the field!!" I turn around and lo and behold there he is trying to run back off.

I said to the coach "I see it" and at the next stoppage cautioned the player for re-entering without permission.

Back of THE NET
Back of THE NET
I know this is a little off topic, but what about a team that has two players with the same number on the field at the same time? We alerted the ref, as did one of our captains, and we were all ignored by the ref.

Back of THE NET
Back of THE NET
That actually falls within league rules. The FIFA LOTG do not require numbers on jerseys.

The ref probably felt comfortable enough to distinguish the two players and if they both had valid passes decided to let them play.

When it happens in any of my games (I would theoretically see this before the game), I have the coaches tape a #1 before or after the main number, either with duck tape or whatever tape they have (First Aid kit tc.)

Not really a big deal.

M
Back of THE NET
Back of THE NET
M
TH:
Under which law would the goal scored when there are too many players on the field be disallowed? And if the goal is properly disallowed, is the restart a goal kick?

Back of THE NET
Back of THE NET
If the illegal extra player is an attacker the goal is disallowed.

If the extra player is a defender, the goal is allowed.

That is the scenario if the referee notices the extra player before the restart.

Once the game restarts the goal stands in either case.

If the extra player was an attacker, the game would restart with an IFK (Indirect free kick) in the goal area. There would also be a caution (Yellow) shown to the player, ince s/he entered the game without permission of the ref.

G
Back of THE NET
Back of THE NET
G
It's Law 10 (emphasis mine): "A goal is scored when the whole of the ball passes over the goal line, between the goalposts and under the crossbar, provided that no infringement of the Laws of the Game has been committed previously by the team scoring the goal."

F
Back of THE NET
OP Offline
Back of THE NET
F
 Originally Posted By: GaryV
It's Law 10 (emphasis mine): "A goal is scored when the whole of the ball passes over the goal line, between the goalposts and under the crossbar, provided that no infringement of the Laws of the Game has been committed previously by the team scoring the goal."

Good work GaryV, you answered your own question. But actually it sounds like you also corrected TH because the law doesn't distinguish where the extra player is positioned, only that there is a violation of the laws of the game, in this case too many players. TH, is that right?

A
Back of THE NET
Back of THE NET
A
..and who's to judge whether the extra player is playing defense or an attacker? you?????? i don't think thats your call...because how can you tell?

J
Back of THE NET
Back of THE NET
J
T'hawks misspoke. The LOTG don't require the referee to have to guess.

If the team that scores the goal had the extra player, the goal is disallowed, the extra player is cautioned and removed from the field.

If the team that allowed the goal has the extra player, the goal stands, the extra player is cautioned and then removed from the field.

No need to guess.

F
Back of THE NET
OP Offline
Back of THE NET
F
 Originally Posted By: Jaxxy
T'hawks misspoke. The LOTG don't require the referee to have to guess.

If the team that scores the goal had the extra player, the goal is disallowed, the extra player is cautioned and removed from the field.

If the team that allowed the goal has the extra player, the goal stands, the extra player is cautioned and then removed from the field.

No need to guess.

Makes sense to me!!

Back of THE NET
Back of THE NET
My answer wasn't related to the positioning of players, nor did I misspeak.

It was to identify who on which team was doing what at the time the goal was scored. The team that scored the goal was on the attack. Thus the other team was defending.

BTW: This is also the way it is explained in advice to refs = ATR, a supplemental booklet to the LOTG

Who is extra?

attacker - goal disallowed
defender - goal counts

discovered after kick off = goal counts

J
Back of THE NET
Back of THE NET
J
sorry T'hawks, you are correct. i should have left you out of that.

the ATR does state that the goal-scoring team is the attackers, but for coaches, they see things by positions, so i was just clarifying the point for a coach's viewpoint.

Moderated by  LIRef77 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click Here!