Fall '18 Leagues Schedules, Scores & Standings:| BDA | CJSL | ECNL | BECNL | EDP | EHYSL | ENY Challenge |
| GDA | LIJSL | NCSA | National League | NPL | NE NPL | NY Cup | NYCSL | WYSL | WYSL Cup | WYSL Premier |

Nobody Does It Better
Latest Posts
KK Athletics Looking For a Few Teams!
by CJ Orlando. 12/09/18 06:40 PM
G2007 GU12 Fall 2018/Spring 2019
by Anonymous. 12/09/18 06:16 PM
USSF GDA Fall 2018/Spring 2019
by Anonymous. 12/09/18 01:16 PM
USSF BDA Fall 2018/Spring 2019
by Anonymous. 12/09/18 10:22 AM
Latest Tryout Posts
FREE Open Practice Girls 04,05 & 06 this Sunday
by StonyBrookSoccer. 12/07/18 08:21 AM
Girls 2003 Open Practices - South Huntington
by girlsthunder. 12/05/18 12:07 PM
Search

EDP 2018-2019
Scores & Standings
Futures Scores & Standings
EDP Alignments
Fall Schedules
USSDA Standings
GDA Standings
BDA Standings
ECNL
ECNL Standings
Boys ECNL Standings
WYSL Scores & Standings
Fall '18 Scores & Standings
LIJSL Scores & Standings
Fall '18 Scores & Standings
Spring '18 LI Cup
LIJSL Spring '19 Schedule
Sportsmanship Spring '18
NSCAA HS & College Rankings
ENY State Cups
Challenge Cup
Open Cup
Newest Members
Brett Polow, SMarkwalter, Jeremy Adams, LERCoach, Sheila the dish
14718 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 125 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
BOTN en Espańol
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 49 of 51 1 2 47 48 49 50 51
Re: USSF BDA Fall 2018/Spring 2019 [Re: Anonymous] #716126
12/05/18 12:53 PM
12/05/18 12:53 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

U sound like a Levittown dad.

Reply Quote
Junior Soccer Advertisements

Click Here!

Re: USSF BDA Fall 2018/Spring 2019 [Re: Anonymous] #716127
12/05/18 12:54 PM
12/05/18 12:54 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Originally Posted by Anonymous

[snip] What's required is private funding - and just a little bit would make a huge difference (to my Oyster Bay analogy above) - but there's no return on investment available. So we're left with our miserable hybrid of pay-to-play and a thin veneer of pro/NT.
Agreed. But the way to fix this is simple and it's just to follow the rest of the world: 1. Full promotion/relegation pyramid; and 2. Take part in FIFA's training compensation rules. If Brooklyn Italians or the Westchester Flames actually had a pathway to move up the pyramid all the way to Division 1 (currently MLS) and reap the rewards that would entail, they would certainly value players much differently. Further, if they couldn't move up, but could at least receive some sort of compensation if Little Johnny became a pro elsewhere, again it would incentivize clubs to find and develop best players.

Training compensation is currently being litigated in arbitration (Yedlin case) and could be pushed on US soon, but we really need promotion/relegation to get full benefit. Would love for FIFA to push this on US, but given how active US justice department has been with FIFA officials, it seems they don't want to push US soccer too much.

In a better world, US soccer would implement this model. But US soccer is joined at the hip and more importantly the wallet with MLS through their SUM organization. They could care less about growing soccer in the country or developing players. Their complete focus is on maintaining their control over the entirety of US soccer, including their monopoly on Division 1 and maximizing their profits. Sadly, most of the other soccer stakeholders also care more about keeping the gravy train of cash fees coming much more than player development. So this leaves the US as a soccer country in a permanent underachieving and inferior state.

I keep trying to find out more info on the Yedlin case but have been unsuccessful.

I agree generally; however, given that training compensation is max $2000/year for development from U12 to U16 (i.e. 12-15 y.o.) it won't have a material effect. Additionally, the only clubs where it will have a real effect will be MLS clubs, where they will likely fall under "Category 2" clubs and be compensated $40k/year for every year above 15. That still is likely not a huge motivation. Pro/rel could help, at the margin, but you risk the growth/viability of MLS. Hard to forget that it's only in the last decade or so that we've had a real expansion of both the league and ownership. I do agree that they need to move beyond the incestuous SUM relationship and really consider the monopolistic effect of the "single entity" system. That will have to lead to pro/rel at some point, and the league is getting rich enough to consider the oppression (on development, wages, competition, etc) a monopoly creates.

I am hopeful that some of the newer owners, like Arthur Blank, and the more dynamic ones, like Merritt Paulson, and those with a focus on youth development, like Dell Loy Hansen, push for change in the coming years. However, it's beyond disappointing that US Soccer elected yet another rich technocrat instead of Eric Wynalda or Kyle Martino.

Reply Quote
Re: USSF BDA Fall 2018/Spring 2019 [Re: Anonymous] #716128
12/05/18 01:14 PM
12/05/18 01:14 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

once again little jack plays 270 mins in Florida while kids that should be getting shown to collage scouts sit on the bench. THE GOTTSCHEE WAY!!!!!!! PAY UP SUCKERS TO LOSE AND WATCH MY KID PLAY. Nothing but defenders and strikers on that team with ABSOLUTELY no midfielders to sub off little jack . Paul is the best that has ever done it.
I have no idea why parents except this. Can someone please explain this to me. The faces of those kids on the bench are heart breaking. Don't you parents get it. Paul has no interest in your kid once so ever its all about HIS SON and he clearly proves it to everyone every single game.

OMG get over this already. I can't tell if you are the same poster over and over and over or if there is more than one poster who is always bitching about this topic. We get it. It sucks. But people have chosen to go and play on that team despite knowing full well what was going to happen - it is what it is so please STOP obsessing.

Whatever will he do with his time once the kid graduates?

Paul has been trying for years to get a college coaching job. If that happens he will coach his son in College just like his friend at Siena where he put his older son to be taken care of. Former Gottschee coach Cesar Markovic is the FATHER coach of Siena College. Cesar's son and Paul McGlynn's son also play for the low ranked D1 school who went 5-10-3 this year. Siena was 10-8-2 before the politics began. This is Cesar's SECOND son playing for him at Siena. Cesar will find himself out of a job very soon at this rate. Siena was last in the MAAC Championship in 2012 BEFORE the politics. It's been done hill since then.

Paul's kids keep playing every minute of every game. Paul went from an unemployed house painter to a very rich $$$ youth soccer coach in just a few years. GOOD FOR HIM ! Thanks to all you Gottschee parents who's kids quit soccer before college. His kids go to college for free while no other Gottschee player has received an athletic scholarship in years. Financial aid is all Gottschee kids receive because the parents are now broke.

Paul is home all day laughing while he reads these posts and counts his money. He has done whatever he wants for years and will continue until his son’s career is over. There’s nothing any one can do and US Soccer praises him for it

Reply Quote
Re: USSF BDA Fall 2018/Spring 2019 [Re: Anonymous] #716129
12/05/18 02:19 PM
12/05/18 02:19 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

once again little jack plays 270 mins in Florida while kids that should be getting shown to collage scouts sit on the bench. THE GOTTSCHEE WAY!!!!!!! PAY UP SUCKERS TO LOSE AND WATCH MY KID PLAY. Nothing but defenders and strikers on that team with ABSOLUTELY no midfielders to sub off little jack . Paul is the best that has ever done it.
I have no idea why parents except this. Can someone please explain this to me. The faces of those kids on the bench are heart breaking. Don't you parents get it. Paul has no interest in your kid once so ever its all about HIS SON and he clearly proves it to everyone every single game.

OMG get over this already. I can't tell if you are the same poster over and over and over or if there is more than one poster who is always bitching about this topic. We get it. It sucks. But people have chosen to go and play on that team despite knowing full well what was going to happen - it is what it is so please STOP obsessing.

Whatever will he do with his time once the kid graduates?

Paul has been trying for years to get a college coaching job. If that happens he will coach his son in College just like his friend at Siena where he put his older son to be taken care of. Former Gottschee coach Cesar Markovic is the FATHER coach of Siena College. Cesar's son and Paul McGlynn's son also play for the low ranked D1 school who went 5-10-3 this year. Siena was 10-8-2 before the politics began. This is Cesar's SECOND son playing for him at Siena. Cesar will find himself out of a job very soon at this rate. Siena was last in the MAAC Championship in 2012 BEFORE the politics. It's been done hill since then.

Paul's kids keep playing every minute of every game. Paul went from an unemployed house painter to a very rich $$$ youth soccer coach in just a few years. GOOD FOR HIM ! Thanks to all you Gottschee parents who's kids quit soccer before college. His kids go to college for free while no other Gottschee player has received an athletic scholarship in years. Financial aid is all Gottschee kids receive because the parents are now broke.

I was talking about the poster who can't do anything else but bit*ch about the guy

Reply Quote
Re: USSF BDA Fall 2018/Spring 2019 [Re: Anonymous] #716132
12/05/18 02:33 PM
12/05/18 02:33 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I keep trying to find out more info on the Yedlin case but have been unsuccessful.

I agree generally; however, given that training compensation is max $2000/year for development from U12 to U16 (i.e. 12-15 y.o.) it won't have a material effect. Additionally, the only clubs where it will have a real effect will be MLS clubs, where they will likely fall under "Category 2" clubs and be compensated $40k/year for every year above 15. That still is likely not a huge motivation. Pro/rel could help, at the margin, but you risk the growth/viability of MLS. Hard to forget that it's only in the last decade or so that we've had a real expansion of both the league and ownership. I do agree that they need to move beyond the incestuous SUM relationship and really consider the monopolistic effect of the "single entity" system. That will have to lead to pro/rel at some point, and the league is getting rich enough to consider the oppression (on development, wages, competition, etc) a monopoly creates.

I am hopeful that some of the newer owners, like Arthur Blank, and the more dynamic ones, like Merritt Paulson, and those with a focus on youth development, like Dell Loy Hansen, push for change in the coming years. However, it's beyond disappointing that US Soccer elected yet another rich technocrat instead of Eric Wynalda or Kyle Martino.
As fas as I know, the Yedlin case is still pending with the Court of Arbitration for Sport in Switzerland. Saw some speculation on Twitter recently that a decision could happen "soon," but we are still waiting.

I forgot to add the "solidarity payment" part, which is also paid along with the training compensation. That normally adds up to 5% of international transfers - which is why Yedlin's youth teams are seeking $185,000 (5% of his $3.71 million transfer to Tottenham). Not sure which clubs here would be Category 4 ($2,000/yr), Category 3 ($10,000/yr) or Category 2 ($40,000), but presumably in an open system more clubs would move up in categories.

Would love to see a plan to transition to promotion/relegation - Garber used to speak about this "in the future" - but don't think it's going to happen voluntarily from US Soccer. It almost certainly will require FIFA, a Court or (much less likely) the US Government imposing the system on US soccer.

Reply Quote
Re: USSF BDA Fall 2018/Spring 2019 [Re: Larry Miller] #716135
12/05/18 03:48 PM
12/05/18 03:48 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

[quote=Anonymous]once again little jack plays 270 mins in Florida while kids that should be getting shown to collage scouts sit on the bench. THE GOTTSCHEE WAY!!!!!!! PAY UP SUCKERS TO LOSE AND WATCH MY KID PLAY. Nothing but defenders and strikers on that team with ABSOLUTELY no midfielders to sub off little jack . Paul is the best that has ever done it.

I was talking about the poster who can't do anything else but bit*ch about the guy

Not only does he bitch about the guy constantly he also flat out lies.Plenty of bwg players get athletic scholarships every year. I can prove it simply by pointing out that the big east defensive player of the year this year out of #13 georgetown is a bwg former player and there's another that's playing in the DI final four this week that's an every game freshman starter. Those are just two that obviously have athletic scholarships. Many more.This guy is so obsessed that he follows mcglynn's son to college. Head case. You won't get rid of him and he obviously can't afford a shrink.

Reply Quote
Re: USSF BDA Fall 2018/Spring 2019 [Re: Anonymous] #716136
12/05/18 06:51 PM
12/05/18 06:51 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

McGlynn will never go anywhere else. First of all: Who is going to hire him?he doesn't get along with anyone and he is just an ok coach. Second, at BWG hi is his own boss and makes great money. Even if gottschee loses the academy status he will still have the club, nobody can fire Mcglynn from that position...

Reply Quote
Re: USSF BDA Fall 2018/Spring 2019 [Re: Anonymous] #716139
12/06/18 11:16 AM
12/06/18 11:16 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

As fas as I know, the Yedlin case is still pending with the Court of Arbitration for Sport in Switzerland. Saw some speculation on Twitter recently that a decision could happen "soon," but we are still waiting.

I forgot to add the "solidarity payment" part, which is also paid along with the training compensation. That normally adds up to 5% of international transfers - which is why Yedlin's youth teams are seeking $185,000 (5% of his $3.71 million transfer to Tottenham). Not sure which clubs here would be Category 4 ($2,000/yr), Category 3 ($10,000/yr) or Category 2 ($40,000), but presumably in an open system more clubs would move up in categories.

Would love to see a plan to transition to promotion/relegation - Garber used to speak about this "in the future" - but don't think it's going to happen voluntarily from US Soccer. It almost certainly will require FIFA, a Court or (much less likely) the US Government imposing the system on US soccer.

Yeah, but the solidarity payments are more like a lottery ticket that I doubt anyone would place any value on them. On the other hand, unlike training compensation, these payments don't expire at age 23, so there's potential for double or triple dipping (e.g. I don't hear much about payments due to Crossfire for Yedlin's xfer from Tottenham to Newcastle, but presumably $$ would be due there as well?)

However, training compensation seems definitely viable, especially with the MLS teams incentivized to sign cheap young players to pro contracts. Not all MLS players, even homegrown, come all the way thru their academies, so kicking back training compensation for development from U12 & up could have a meaningful impact on non-MLS clubs and their partnerships with MLS teams.

MLS clubs of course will hate both these things as solidarity payments are currently held captive by MLS, and training compensation would come directly out of MLS teams pockets.

Reply Quote
Re: USSF BDA Fall 2018/Spring 2019 [Re: Larry Miller] #716140
12/06/18 11:22 AM
12/06/18 11:22 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If true, the complaints about McGlynn seem valid (at least to me).

There is a lot of hedging in last sentence because I have no idea if complaints are true. Unless you are part of the club, who really knows. For the rest of us, there is value in "crow-sourced" information, because it helps us make a decision whether to allow our children to try out for BWG or take part in BWG sponsored programs. I have acquaintances whose children have gone there and left and gone there and stayed, I don't know them well enough to ask them about McGlynn, but their children are not on relevant team, so maybe they don't event know.

No one really says it does not happen, the defenses are "get over it" and "any parent would do the same", which sort of leads me to believe that it does occur. Which also leads me to the conclusion that BWG administrators approve and are in on this in some way (money? prestige? vanity?); why else suffer so much bad press for one guy; we all have jobs, is there anyone in your office that is not replaceable; everyone is replaceable.

This is a long winded way of saying, I really wish someone with knowledge made a statement about this situation, or that someone at BWG made it clear that McGlynn had no role on his son's team going forward; it is the right thing to do.

I have no idea if my son would make BWG, I think so, but I am his dad; based on everything I read here, I never let him have anything to do with BWG. There have to be more people like me, who would put their children in that situation?

Reply Quote
Re: USSF BDA Fall 2018/Spring 2019 [Re: Larry Miller] #716141
12/06/18 01:05 PM
12/06/18 01:05 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The same thing happens at MO. The club is their personal playground. That’s why kids left there

Reply Quote
Re: USSF BDA Fall 2018/Spring 2019 [Re: Anonymous] #716144
12/06/18 03:00 PM
12/06/18 03:00 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

There is a lot of hedging in last sentence because I have no idea if complaints are true. Unless you are part of the club, who really knows. For the rest of us, there is value in "crow-sourced" information, because it helps us make a decision whether to allow our children to try out for BWG or take part in BWG sponsored programs. I have acquaintances whose children have gone there and left and gone there and stayed, I don't know them well enough to ask them about McGlynn, but their children are not on relevant team, so maybe they don't event know.

No one really says it does not happen, the defenses are "get over it" and "any parent would do the same", which sort of leads me to believe that it does occur. Which also leads me to the conclusion that BWG administrators approve and are in on this in some way (money? prestige? vanity?); why else suffer so much bad press for one guy; we all have jobs, is there anyone in your office that is not replaceable; everyone is replaceable.

This is a long winded way of saying, I really wish someone with knowledge made a statement about this situation, or that someone at BWG made it clear that McGlynn had no role on his son's team going forward; it is the right thing to do.

I have no idea if my son would make BWG, I think so, but I am his dad; based on everything I read here, I never let him have anything to do with BWG. There have to be more people like me, who would put their children in that situation?

I have been involved in academy soccer for 4 years now and have spent time at two different clubs in those 4 years and know families at 4 other clubs in the NY/NJ area. There are complaints at ALL of them. The DOC having a child in the club who is favored is unique at the moment to Gottschee and Met Oval because THEY have kids who are playing...who both happen to be pretty good players - maybe not THE BEST, but very good.

I think that in general if your child plays in the same age group as a good player who happens to be the coaches son then you're kid is likely not going to get minutes. No one is agreeing that it is okay but its not something that in all the land of soccer only happens at Gottschee or Met Oval. So when people on here are saying "get over it", its like "we get it, it sucks that you have a kid on that team that plays in the midfield - so maybe you should move on to another club".

Reply Quote
Re: USSF BDA Fall 2018/Spring 2019 [Re: Larry Miller] #716147
12/06/18 03:40 PM
12/06/18 03:40 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

It’s more than just the coaches son at mO

Reply Quote
Re: USSF BDA Fall 2018/Spring 2019 [Re: Anonymous] #716148
12/06/18 05:01 PM
12/06/18 05:01 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I have been involved in academy soccer for 4 years now and have spent time at two different clubs in those 4 years and know families at 4 other clubs in the NY/NJ area. There are complaints at ALL of them. The DOC having a child in the club who is favored is unique at the moment to Gottschee and Met Oval because THEY have kids who are playing...who both happen to be pretty good players - maybe not THE BEST, but very good.

I think that in general if your child plays in the same age group as a good player who happens to be the coaches son then you're kid is likely not going to get minutes. No one is agreeing that it is okay but its not something that in all the land of soccer only happens at Gottschee or Met Oval. So when people on here are saying "get over it", its like "we get it, it sucks that you have a kid on that team that plays in the midfield - so maybe you should move on to another club".

Good post.Both those kids from MO and BWG are good players. Problem is perception. Look at their rosters and you will see that there are others that start every game and play every minute. If they deserve it they should be playing. We're way past the point if you're playing academy where every kid gets a trophy just for showing up. But the perception is that the players are getting the minutes because of their fathers. I don't know. One was good enough to play for two MLS clubs so not surprising he gets to play a lot now. The counterargument is that he was at the MLS clubs because of his father. Believe it if you want but it's unlikely. The other is good enough to play for the national team and is called up regularly. Again the counterargument is that it's because of his father, but I doubt that also. Plenty of well connected fathers whose sons don't get called up. So I see it as a perception problem and if your son is not playing because of one of those players then you will feel aggrieved. I think that is what people are saying about getting over it. Leave if you don't like it but understand that in the real world there will be someone getting special treatment for one reason or another and you will need to overcome it. If you can't then leave. I agree with the above.

Reply Quote
Re: USSF BDA Fall 2018/Spring 2019 [Re: Anonymous] #716150
12/06/18 05:25 PM
12/06/18 05:25 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

What do you mean?

Reply Quote
Re: USSF BDA Fall 2018/Spring 2019 [Re: Anonymous] #716157
12/07/18 07:39 AM
12/07/18 07:39 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Not to forget that Claudio Reyna does the same with his son in the NYCFC 07 team, the kid is below the average there...

What do you mean?

Reply Quote
Page 49 of 51 1 2 47 48 49 50 51
Quick Reply

Options HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Tournaments
SUSA Invitational