Spring Leagues Scores: | NPL | NYCSL | NYCSL PL | JSS | NY (State) Cup | WYSL | CJSL | LIJSL | EDP | Challenge Cup | Championship Cup |
| R1 Champions League Div1 Div2 | National League | ENYPL | Staten Island | EHYSL | Long Island Cup |

BOTN NEWS ALERT: NYCSL announces that MATCH FIT has joined the NYCSL GIRLS NPL League....

Westchester Soccer Club
Beach Blitz 5v5
Latest Tryout Posts
BU14 in Fall - East Islip Fire
by EI Fire
Today at 04:19 PM
Port Washington Cobras Tryouts/open Practices (BU14 in Fall 2015)
by PWCobrasCoach
Today at 03:39 PM
B U-16 Fall (Syosset Cyclones) looking to add players
by CoachEric
Today at 03:31 PM
Boys U15 (Fall) POB NY Open Practices
by POB NY
Today at 11:49 AM
BU16 (Fall) Rocky Point United - Open Practices/Tryouts
by murr418
Today at 11:40 AM
BOTN en Español
NYCSL NYPL NPL JSS

NYCSL & JSS Schedules, Scores & Standings
| NYCSL | NYPL | NPL |
NY (State) Cup | JSS |
EDP MAPS MSSL

LIJSL Scores & Standings
Spring '15 Scores & Standings

Fall '14 Sportsmanship
Spring '15 Schedule
R1 Champions League
Division 1
Division 2

National League
2014-2015 ENY (State) Cup
Challenge Cup
Champions Cup
New Jersey Leagues
Northern Counties | CJYSA | JAGS | Morris County | Metro | Jersey Coast | Monmouth Ocean | Mid-Jersey | South Jersey | South Jersey Girls |
EDP Spring Results
EDP Scores & Standings
ECNL
ECNL Standings
EDP (Local League)
Brackets
NSCAA HS & College Rankings
USSF Academies
USSF Academy Schedules
US Soccer
Girls NPL Listing
Brentwood | ISA | Massapequa | Manhattan SC | STA | NYSC | NJ Crush | NJ Stallions | NY Rush | Quickstrike FC | Match Fit |
Newest Members
Anonymous414141, mike vinci, Craig Budesheim, oliviarose20, jmsoccer
13592 Registered Users
Subscribe to BOTN
BOTN Electronic Alerts
Page 11 of 18 < 1 2 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 17 18 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#460464 - 01/28/12 06:35 PM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2011-2012 [Re: BoardLord]
BoardLord Offline
Back of THE NET

Loc: Not Possum Gulch, Arizona
To All of Our College Forum Readers : Today, you will see a new chain of discussion offered by NorCalKeeperDad. Yes, this parent is really from Northern California. This parent happened to stumble across BOTN and started frequenting the BOTN College Forum looking for a source of information explaining how to help his high school junior/senior daughter with her college search and showcasing.

Those of you that have been following BOTN might recognize NorCalKeeperDad as a contributor. Now that his daughter's chase has ended with a commitment, NorCalKeeperDad wanted to "pay back" BOTN and more importantly share their family's experiences during the chase.

I, for one, cannot wait to read the content. We will not edit or change NorCalKeeperDad's content. Expect it to be honest and raw.

We are proud here at BOTN that we have reached this point with our College Forum.

Junior Soccer Advertisements

Click Here!

#460598 - 01/30/12 09:58 AM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2011-2012 [Re: Anonymous]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello, can someone give a feedback on how useful CaptainU is in this college recruitment process? how valuable it is and how do the process go about it? thank you for the information.

#460616 - 01/30/12 12:55 PM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2011-2012 [Re: Anonymous]
BoardLord Offline
Back of THE NET

Originally Posted By: Anonymous
Hello, can someone give a feedback on how useful CaptainU is in this college recruitment process? how valuable it is and how do the process go about it? thank you for the information.
The free service from CaptainU offers an on-line player profile option. Remember that the profiles are most useful at tournaments and showcases; on-line integrated features such as video highlights do not translate well into printed formats.

Among the monthly (charged) services offered are the NCAA Eligibility Service, E-Mail Templates, Phone Services, and other organizational tools. You would need to personally evaluate these offerings to determine if these would fill gaps in your own personal or your own team's understanding of the recruitment process. We can say that a wealth of material - for free - is available here on the BOTN College Board to help close that gap for you.

#460642 - 01/30/12 03:38 PM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2011-2012 [Re: BoardLord]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: BoardLord
The free service from CaptainU offers an on-line player profile option. Remember that the profiles are most useful at tournaments and showcases; on-line integrated features such as video highlights do not translate well into printed formats.

Among the monthly (charged) services offered are the NCAA Eligibility Service, E-Mail Templates, Phone Services, and other organizational tools. You would need to personally evaluate these offerings to determine if these would fill gaps in your own personal or your own team's understanding of the recruitment process. We can say that a wealth of material - for free - is available here on the BOTN College Board to help close that gap for you.

thank you BoardLord. is the profile available to college coaches for viewing even if you only use the free services? i've been reading your materials here in botn and in my humble opinion i don't think i need that captainU service. but my kid has been told by one of the dad's on our team and she needs the captainU to been seen by college coaches which i think is rubbish. i just wanted to be sure before telling her what my decision is with regards to captainU service.

thank you so much.

#460694 - 01/30/12 11:42 PM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2011-2012 [Re: BoardLord]
NorCal KeeperDad Offline
Back of THE NET

Originally Posted By: BoardLord
Expect it to be honest and raw.

Somehow now I feel much younger than I am. <grin>

Seriously, it's absolutely my pleasure to share my perspective because the College threads here on BOTN have contained, by far, the most helpful information I have found on the web about the college recruiting process.

Thanks to everyone for all of your help over the past couple of years, especially BoardLord. If there is anything I can do for any of you, please don't hesitate to ask.

#460917 - 02/01/12 06:20 PM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2011-2012 [Re: BoardLord]
Anonymous
Unregistered

This is something that has been confusing me for a while as I'm sure it has other people. How does recruiting work for coaches and committing work for players with Ivy League schools since there are no athletic scholarships given out?

#461004 - 02/02/12 02:02 PM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2011-2012 [Re: BoardLord]
Westone Offline
Back of THE NET

Loc: Westchester, NY
Ivy League is D1; everything posted by NCal guy applies. Especially start early, meet with or communicate with the coach at the school you are interested in as early as possible. Ask them how they recurit as there is not a common thread across the Ivy Schools. Do not think there camp is a recruiting vehicle because its not. Note, NESCAC camps are used for recruiting purposes. If you go to an Ivy camp, you might find their recruits at the camp, but they have been pre-screened.

Most Ivy recruiting is a cross between D1 and D3 with alot of the team going ED (which is pretty standard in D3). If you are short academics and short credentials (like regional ODP)the odds are not in your favor. Ivy coaches tend to gravitate towards players on a top Region team(they tend to recruit heavily off the East Coast) and/or players in regional ODP looking for an Ivy rather than top D1 (UNC, etc) experiance.

Commitment is mostly the same as other D1, but like D3, until you are admitted, you are not on the team nor at the school. How much pull an Ivy coach has in the overall decision is more like D3 than traditional D1. You need to ask all the D3 questions like where am I on your list? etc. Failure to get good answers to the D3 questions means its probably not going to happen.

Summary, start early, talk to the coach to find out specifics, focus on academics and be hopeful; these schools have a huge pool to choose from for obvious reasons.

#461062 - 02/02/12 08:39 PM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2011-2012 [Re: Anonymous]
BoardLord Offline
Back of THE NET

This is something that has been confusing me for a while as I'm sure it has other people. How does recruiting work for coaches and committing work for players with Ivy League schools since there are no athletic scholarships given out?
In addition to the information from Westone, remember that the Ivy League schools have the ability to play their "academic market cachet" as opposed to athletic scholarships in their recruitment processes ... and they do.

Yale University's Rudy Meredith and Todd Plourde on the girls' side play this fact to the extreme as they notably over-commit "verbal spots" which pend on application acceptance into a university with an overall 8% acceptance factor. When you think about an 8% university-wide acceptance factor, why bother saying "no" to any applicants? Simply use your golden tickets to guarantee some of the best athletes, academics aside, and let the rest compete in the pool.

Golden tickets, you say?

Yale specifically has four golden ticket spots on both the men's and women's side with admissions which allow slightly less-obvious candidates to be accepted with a "soccer program" blessing during the admission phase. [Did you know that 250 of Yale's spots are allocated to athletes from their admission classes?]

Now, extend this beyond Yale to some of the other Ivy League schools where admission acceptance is now peaking at 12% with the Brown/Dartmouth circuit. You quickly understand why US News and World Reports have started their detailed analysis of the "New Ivies". So, there is an insight into the Yale, Brown, and Dartmouth soccer offices. Which other school would you like to discuss? There are only five more : Princeton, Columbia, Cornell, Penn, and Harvard.

#461203 - 02/03/12 07:49 PM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2011-2012 [Re: BoardLord]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Question: My daughter is a jr, who played varsity this yr, plays on a D 1 team within the league, her team has been doing some showcases. She thinks she wants to play college ball but will depend on what school she gets into, she would go to the school that would offer a better academic opportunity in lieu of playing in college. We are only considering DIII as she does not have a glowing resume, but she is a good player.Conversely, she academics are solid, rigorous schedule, community service. Is playing for a really good D3 college (academically) a possibility w/o a strong soccer resume? How aggressive do we need to be in her search?

#461263 - 02/04/12 04:24 PM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2011-2012 [Re: Anonymous]
BoardLord Offline
Back of THE NET

Question: My daughter is a jr, who played varsity this yr, plays on a D 1 team within the league, her team has been doing some showcases.
As a junior year player, this Spring 2012 season will be the serious recruitment period for Division I schools. Division III institutions will be picking up their intensity in recruiting between the Spring and Summer seasons. If your daughter's team has been showcasing, she should have had some written contact with coaches (inviting them to games with your daughter's resume) and perhaps some feedback or indications of potential interest.

She thinks she wants to play college ball ...
Here is the first problem. Whether your daughter plays Division I, II, or III, your student-athlete really needs to have the passion to train and play hard, not only now, but when she arrives at her first college preseason camp in August 2013. Being honest, most college-bound soccer players really have made the mental commitment by this point in their scholastic and club careers.

... but will depend on what school she gets into, she would go to the school that would offer a better academic opportunity in lieu of playing in college.
Your sentence here is the number one reason why BOTN recommends maintaining a Top Ten academic and Top Ten athletic college selection list - and trying to identify the overlaps between the two. With such a predetermined listing, it makes it easier for your family to evaluate academics versus athletics when evaluating opportunities.

We are only considering DIII as she does not have a glowing resume, but she is a good player.Conversely, she academics are solid, rigorous schedule, community service.
Certainly, we recommend your reading some of the posts from our colleague Westone here on the College Forum. Westone's student-athlete specifically chose a NESCAC Division III opportunity in order to combine great academics with an enjoyable soccer experience.

Westone on Division III Recruiting Cycles

Westone on Division III Commitment/Play

Is playing for a really good D3 college (academically) a possibility w/o a strong soccer resume? How aggressive do we need to be in her search?
You would have to define what you want from a "good" Division III academic institution. We have defined "good" within the context of NESCAC schools (actually, excellent), but there are others that could potentially be in play.

If you can be more specific with your schools under consideration, BOTN can offer more specific advice.

Is it possible to play without a strong soccer resume? If you define a strong soccer resume as being "ODP" and "Region One Premier League", the answer is yes - many players at the Division III level will not have played at those levels with their club teams. However, if your student-athlete is lacking skills/speed/stamina expected from most college players, all of these will hurt the chances.

#461269 - 02/04/12 05:21 PM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2011-2012 [Re: BoardLord]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello my son will be a junior in the fall when does he get his soccer resume together and should he do a college camp this summer?

#461270 - 02/04/12 06:02 PM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2011-2012 [Re: Anonymous]
BoardLord Offline
Back of THE NET

Hello my son will be a junior in the fall when does he get his soccer resume together and should he do a college camp this summer?
BOTN recommends that soccer resumes are created during the sophomore year and certainly before the first Spring Showcase events are attended. You will find our Communications Thread to be a useful starting point.

Communications : Profiles, Letters, Contacts

We further have recommended that college camps only be considered for securing a roster spot after conversations and expressions of interest have taken place with the collegiate coach. If your son would like to attend a college camp for the training experience, that's fine; however, if the expectation is to be identified as a recruit from the camp, you are best advised to have had previous contacts with the target coach before attending the camp.

See the following links for more details.

#461300 - 02/05/12 09:54 AM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2011-2012 [Re: BoardLord]
Westone Offline
Back of THE NET

Worth repeating but many D3 schools use mini-camps as an identification opportunity. These are usually 1 or 2 days in length. I agree with Boardlord comments re the D1 camps.

With regard to the D3 question before, there are many D3 schools that fill their roster with walk-ons. If she wants to play in college but has a limited soccer resume, there are options outside of NESCAC where a less committed player can have an opportunity. As Boardlord said, you would need to cite specific D3 schools if you wanted a clearer answer.

#462465 - 02/17/12 01:37 PM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2011-2012 [Re: BoardLord]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the help, unfortunately, until my daughter takes the SATs we really won't know where she stands as her grades and other factors; ie, community services, NHS, etc, are already in place. She is aiming for the more selective and NESCAC schools, but without SAT grades, I'm not sure if that's out of reach. Like I mentioned earlier, we don't have any soccer awards to bolster her and not sure if that is going to hurt her possibility of her desire to play in school. I did check on some the schools athletic sites and I didn't see any camps or Jr prospect days, is it too early?

#462484 - 02/17/12 05:16 PM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2011-2012 [Re: BoardLord]
Westone Offline
Back of THE NET

I assume your daughter is a sophomore. So now is the time to start considering a range of potential schools that you might want to put on the radar. Within NESCAC, there is a fairly large difference between the top 4 and the bottom 4 both in terms of admissions and ability to get on the their team. Conn College and Colby are way more a maybe than Amherst, Williams or Middlebury. You can look at standings and rankings to get some ideas beyond this.

By the end of her sophomore year, my daughter had a list of 30 schools that she thought might make sense and had already had an email conversation with each coach and a general idea of how should could be seen by each school. During the next 2 years, the list shifted around some but a ton of info was gathered from coach discussions and selected school visits which started between her soph and junior year. Yes SATs will be important but by the time they start to roll in, you need to dovetail them into the process, not wait for them to start it.

A good example is that my daughter had been having an on again off again conversation with a coach at a decent but not top academic school, once her SAT scores showed up, the coach said to her, well sure it would be nice for you come here, but your going to play at a much higher ranked school with those grades. On the flip side, a coach also said to her, well with those grades you will need my support to get admitted here and I am not inclined to do so. Yep, scratch those 2 of the list.

Page 11 of 18 < 1 2 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 17 18 >

Moderator:  Arielle 
TWIST Invitational
Match Fit Summer Kickoff
Kick It 3v3
Levittown SC Renz Charity
Summer Tournaments
RYSA Wildcats Labor Day
MAPS Spring Schedule
Valencia, Spain Tournament
Kick It 3v3
Match Fit Montclair Utd.
Levittown Renz Charity
Beach Blitz
MAPS Summer Challenge
LIRR Beach Bash
TWIST Invitational
Labor Day Freedom Cup
Central Jersey Invit.
Lehigh Valley Steamroll
Pocono Cup Premier
Summer Camps & Leagues
Berkshire Girls Academy
Hofstra Summer Camps
SUSA Academy
SUSA Summer Training
SUSA Summer League
Girls HS & College league
AC Milan Camps
LI Rough Riders
East Islip SC Camp
ASC 4v4 League
Columbus Weekend
Syosset SC Tournament
Northport Cow Harbor
Sponsors

Who's Online
11 registered (Larry Miller, lizardstriker1, BAYWOOD, RattlesnakeCoach, PWCobrasCoach, GaryV, BryanH, TCarlson, GG1 N J18, desisoccer, CoachEric), 884 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Globall Sports Centers
Soccer Leagues
Soccer Tournaments
Training Clinics
Birthday Parties
Field Rentals
LI Rough Riders
Training Program
Soccer Camps
Jr. Rough Riders
Rough Riders Select
Men's & Women's Tickets
Soccer Coliseum
Tournaments
Training
Youth Leagues
Adult Leagues
SUSA Bubble Lindenhurst
Youth Leagues
Tournaments
Adult Leagues
Training & Academy Programs
Field Rentals
Summer League
Premier Soccer Academy
Tournaments
Youth Academy ID Camps
Camps
Coaching Services
Kickin’ Kiddie Program
Boys NPL Listing
Brentwood | Bklyn Italians | Everton Amer. | Eastern FC | East Meadow SC | ISA | Massapequa | STA Soccer | NY Elite | HOTA | Parsippany SC | Princeton SC | Soccer Plus Acad. |

Click Here!

Copyright (c) Back of THE NET 1993 - 2015