The Friends of Renz Charity Tournament is SOLD OUT with the exception of a GU10, GU12 and BU12 team. If interested contact Byron at bcoloma6@gmail.com

Latest Tryout Posts
GU12 (Fall 2015) Harborfields Pride and Glory teams looking to add players
by TCarlson
Yesterday at 03:44 PM
BU16 Goalie needed
by pantherscoach
Yesterday at 03:00 PM
BU16 Lynbrook ER SC looking for Goalie
by CarlosO
07/26/15 11:36 PM
BOTN en Espaņol
NYCSL NYPL NPL JSS

NYCSL & JSS Schedules, Scores & Standings
| NYCSL | NYPL | NPL |
NY (State) Cup | JSS |
EDP MAPS MSSL

LIJSL Scores & Standings
Spring '15 Scores & Standings

Spring '15 Sportsmanship
Fall '15 Schedule
Spring '16 Schedule
R1 Champions League
Division 1
Division 2

National League
2014-2015 ENY (State) Cup
Challenge Cup
Champions Cup
New Jersey Leagues
Northern Counties | CJYSA | JAGS | Morris County | Metro | Jersey Coast | Monmouth Ocean | Mid-Jersey | South Jersey | South Jersey Girls |
EDP Spring Results
EDP Scores & Standings
ECNL
ECNL Standings
EDP (Local League)
Brackets
NSCAA HS & College Rankings
USSF Academies
USSF Academy Schedules
US Soccer
Girls NPL Listing
Brentwood | ISA | Massapequa | Manhattan SC | STA | NYSC | NJ Crush | NJ Stallions | NY Rush | Quickstrike FC | Match Fit |
Newest Members
vuhuynh, Gg1j18, Topher, Rocky Point, Jon Flick
13723 Registered Users
Subscribe to BOTN
BOTN Electronic Alerts
Page 7 of 18 < 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 17 18 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#455827 - 12/03/11 10:20 PM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2011-2012 [Re: BoardLord]
Anonymous
Unregistered

My daughter is currently a sophomore, and her team recently competed in the NEWSS showcase. She emailed several coaches to come see her play, she only knows for sure that one of them definitely came to watch. And since she is only in 10th grade the coaches cannot contact her themselves...What should she write about in her follow up email to the coach she knows saw her? What about the ones that she is unsure of or did not? Also, if she contacts them first, are they allowed to email back?

Junior Soccer Advertisements

Click Here!

#455872 - 12/04/11 04:02 PM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2011-2012 [Re: Anonymous]
BoardLord Offline
Back of THE NET

Loc: Not Possum Gulch, Arizona
Originally Posted By: Anonymous
My daughter is currently a sophomore, and her team recently competed in the NEWSS showcase. She emailed several coaches to come see her play, she only knows for sure that one of them definitely came to watch.
Hopefully, your team did have parents posted at all corners of your fields to know exactly which coaches were present for all your matches. It is always difficult as a sophomore to engage in the coaching discussions, but it should never be a guessing game as to which coaches were in attendance.

Originally Posted By: Amonoymous
And since she is only in 10th grade the coaches cannot contact her themselves...
Correct.

What should she write about in her follow up email to the coach she knows saw her?
Among the potential topics are these:
  • Express your on-going interest in the coach's program and also demonstrate some knowledge about his/her program.
  • Specifically reference the game at which you know the coach was attending.
  • Detail the upcoming showcases at which the student-athelete will be appearing.
  • Discuss your progress in school, your coursework, grades, and potential PSAT/SAT or PLAN/ACT preparation.
  • Discuss any advanced placement or international baccalaureate courses that are being taken this year.
  • Mention that you plan to visit the campus in February or Easter breaks.
  • Request any indication via e-mail that there is still on-going interest from the coach.
What about the ones that she is unsure of or did not?
Again, express your on-going interest and state that although your team did not have a record of the coach attending, you are still very interested in their program. Augment the latter with some of the appropriate bullet points suggested in the preceding paragraph.

Also, if she contacts them first, are they allowed to email back?
Generally, no. However, sometimes you will get an out-of-office notification or something similar that will indicate upcoming tournaments at which the oach will be appearing.

#455940 - 12/05/11 08:11 AM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2011-2012 [Re: BoardLord]
Anonymous
Unregistered

College coaches have been emailing my child whether he contacted them or not to say they were interested in him after a tournament so I dont understand how you can say they cant email him. Hes a junior. Is that the difference?

#455958 - 12/05/11 11:00 AM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2011-2012 [Re: Anonymous]
BoardLord Offline
Back of THE NET

College coaches have been emailing my child whether he contacted them or not to say they were interested in him after a tournament so I dont understand how you can say they cant email him. Hes a junior. Is that the difference?
See the NCAA Rules and Regulations thread here on the College Forum.

NCAA Rules and Regulations on the BOTN College Forum

There, you will see that the differences in contact regulations are tied to both NCAA Division and to the Academic Year of the High School student-athlete.

Most often e-mails are treated like "telephone calls" for the purposes of recruiting with the exception being that e-mails can start after September of the junior year. Therefore, the sophomore versus junior year standing is the most critical differentiator.

#455960 - 12/05/11 11:23 AM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2011-2012 [Re: BoardLord]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ncaa rules say no phone calls from coaches in sophmore or junior year so how can they email? he just got 2 more emails this morning?

#455979 - 12/05/11 01:44 PM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2011-2012 [Re: Anonymous]
Anonymous
Unregistered

They can email after September 1st of junior year.

#455986 - 12/05/11 02:41 PM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2011-2012 [Re: Anonymous]
BoardLord Offline
Back of THE NET

Ncaa rules say no phone calls from coaches in sophmore or junior year so how can they email? he just got 2 more emails this morning?
BOTN was trying to demonstrate the intent of the rules. A coach can e-mail the player starting in September of the junior year.

#455987 - 12/05/11 02:42 PM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2011-2012 [Re: Anonymous]
BoardLord Offline
Back of THE NET

They can email after September 1st of junior year.
Agreed.

#456141 - 12/07/11 12:56 PM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2011-2012 [Re: BoardLord]
Anonymous
Unregistered

When are kids allowed to go on official visits and how many can they go on? Is it junior year or senior year?

#456153 - 12/07/11 04:40 PM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2011-2012 [Re: Anonymous]
BoardLord Offline
Back of THE NET

When are kids allowed to go on official visits and how many can they go on? Is it junior year or senior year?
All issues with Official Visits are discussed within the first several posts of our NCAA Rules and Regulations discussion thread here on the College Forum.

Recruiting Rules for Men's and Women's Soccer - Division I Only Rules

Sophomore and Junior Year
  • Official Visit - not allowed
  • Unofficial Visit - you may make an unlimited number of unofficial visits
Senior Year
  • Official Visit - allowed beginning opening day of classes of your senior year - one official visit limit per college up to a maximum of five official visits to Division I and Division II schools.
Recruiting Rules for Men's and Women's Soccer - Division II Only Rules
  • Official Visit - you may make official visits starting the opening day of classes in your senior year. You may make one visit to a given college and visit up to five Division I and Division II schools.
Recruiting Rules for Men's and Women's Soccer - Division III Only Rules
  • Official Visit - starting with your opening day in senior year, you may make only one official visit per college

#456181 - 12/08/11 09:05 AM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2011-2012 [Re: BoardLord]
Anonymous
Unregistered

A few coaches have seen my daughter play multiple times and want her to call them or visit prior to the holidays. Is it common for coaches to say they were very impressed? Or is this a way to string potential prospects along while they (coaches) do their due diligence. Would we be out of line to (via e-mail) during the course of discussions to ask about athletic funding both for the program and my daughter, at least the range she would fit into prior to visiting?
Some of these schools are in North Carolina and Florida and obviously funding or lack of it will rule some schools out completely. Also being a junior, please discuss timing with regard to committing. It seems the longer you search the less money is left. Thank you.

#456183 - 12/08/11 09:22 AM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2011-2012 [Re: Anonymous]
Anonymous
Unregistered

I would like to know about funding too. We met with a D2 coach who said that more funding opens up later in the year (my daughter is a junior). I always thought it was the opposite.

#456204 - 12/08/11 01:03 PM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2011-2012 [Re: Anonymous]
BoardLord Offline
Back of THE NET

A few coaches have seen my daughter play multiple times and want her to call them or visit prior to the holidays. Is it common for coaches to say they were very impressed?
To answer your question, we go back to the due-diligence that was done by your team at the playing field. Can you confirm that the coach who wrote to your student-athlete actually attended a particular game and saw your daughter? This will help you sort through potential form letters from genuine interest. If you are going to try to schedule a campus visit, by all means have your daughter call the coach and talk about a potential visit. Have your daughter prepared with a cheat-sheet of questions to be asked in that initial phone call including:
  • What date would work best for the coach and allow you to see the athletic facilities?
  • Would it be possible to meet with a couple of the juniors or captains from the team who are nearby your hometown to get a sense of campus and team life?
  • How many recruits are currently in-play for the recruiting cycle and where do I currently rank on the board?
  • Be prepared to discuss academics including grade point average, board scores, and current and forecast courses through the end of high school.
  • Coach, can you suggest what my strengths and weaknesses were? How can I improve my game to help you at your college?
Or is this a way to string potential prospects along while they (coaches) do their due diligence.
Stringing along after one e-mail is not really a concern. Asking the suggested questions about number of recruits and your daughter's position in the recruiting list will help you identify how serious the coach was about your student-athlete's potential.

BOTN has stated previously that the best answer that a potential recruit can receive is either a "yes" or a "no" as they are definitive and place the ball back into your family's court. Be sure to get a timeline from the coach on all offers and decisions if you feel that you have been through three or four rounds of back-and-forth without any firm decisions.

Would we be out of line to (via e-mail) during the course of discussions to ask about athletic funding both for the program and my daughter, at least the range she would fit into prior to visiting?
On funding, ask how many scholarship positions are coming free for your daughter's recruiting class and where she might expect to be placed in that pool. If the coach is really interested in your daughter, you might well get an early indication of how serious their intent might be.

Some of these schools are in North Carolina and Florida and obviously funding or lack of it will rule some schools out completely.
You will need to construct a family budget to understand all of the ancilliary costs - holiday travel and such. Your student-athlete will want the head coach to schedule a one hour session, including the parents, with the financial aid office to discuss early indications of money concerns. You, as parents, should be prepared with your tax filing documentation to make the most of the opportunity.

Also being a junior, please discuss timing with regard to committing. It seems the longer you search the less money is left.
NCAA Division I money at the very top schools is typically allocated by the December/January timeframe of junior year. Remaining Division I schools will typically make their verbal financial commitments between February and Memorial Day of the junior year. Division II schools will make financial deals anytime from the midpoint of junior year right through the senior year depending on commitments and money made available.

Thank you.
You are very welcome.

#456205 - 12/08/11 01:05 PM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2011-2012 [Re: Anonymous]
BoardLord Offline
Back of THE NET

I would like to know about funding too. We met with a D2 coach who said that more funding opens up later in the year (my daughter is a junior). I always thought it was the opposite.
Given that athletic contracts are one-year agreements, we do not understand the context here; how can "more money" be available? Perhaps the coach is referring to the fact that some scholarship juniors or sophomores may decide not to return for the next season and as such, athletic money can free up for the overall team including the incoming class.

#456218 - 12/08/11 02:39 PM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2011-2012 [Re: BoardLord]
Anonymous
Unregistered

That sounds like what the coach may have meant. Thanks.

Page 7 of 18 < 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 17 18 >

Moderator:  Arielle 
Levittown SC Renz Charity
NCHU Tournament
Parsippany Pride
Summer Tournaments
RYSA Wildcats Labor Day
Friends of Renz Charity
FC Copa Cup
TWIST Invitational 8/15/16/17
Labor Day Freedom Cup
EDP Fall Kickoff 8/22-23
East Brunswick Labor Day
Columbus Weekend
Syosset SC Tournament
Northport Tournament
Parsippany Pride
Summer Camps & Leagues
Commack SC/SUSA
Berkshire Girls Academy
Hofstra Summer Camps
SUSA Academy
SUSA Summer Training
SUSA Summer League
Girls HS & College league
AC Milan Camps
LI Rough Riders
East Islip SC Camp
House of Sports Camps
Sponsors

Who's Online
5 registered (DHVillain, gamby88, GaryV, Larry Miller, CJ Orlando), 473 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Globall Sports Centers
Soccer Leagues
Soccer Tournaments
Training Clinics
Birthday Parties
Field Rentals
LI Rough Riders
Training Program
Soccer Camps
Jr. Rough Riders
Rough Riders Select
Men's & Women's Tickets
Soccer Coliseum
Tournaments
Training
Youth Leagues
Adult Leagues
SUSA Bubble Lindenhurst
Youth Leagues
Tournaments
Adult Leagues
Training & Academy Programs
Field Rentals
Summer League
Boys NPL Listing
Brentwood | Bklyn Italians | Everton Amer. | Eastern FC | East Meadow SC | ISA | Massapequa | STA Soccer | NY Elite | HOTA | Parsippany SC | Princeton SC | Soccer Plus Acad. |

Click Here!

Copyright (c) Back of THE NET 1993 - 2015