Welcome to the start of the new Fall 2015/Spring2016 Soccer Season. All 2014 age group threads have been locked and threads for the new season have been posted

Latest Tryout Posts
Player seeking Fall Team U15 and up
by TNT SOCCER
07/30/15 08:06 PM
BU-15/ FALL EAST ISLIP FUSION Come Guest Play.
by BrianPlatt
07/29/15 09:22 AM
GU 10 Round Robin 8/22
by soccerdale1234
07/29/15 12:23 AM
BOTN en Espaņol
NYCSL NYPL NPL JSS

NYCSL & JSS Schedules, Scores & Standings
| NYCSL | NYPL | NPL |
NY (State) Cup | JSS |
EDP MAPS MSSL

LIJSL Scores & Standings
Spring '15 Scores & Standings

Spring '15 Sportsmanship
Fall '15 Schedule
Spring '16 Schedule
R1 Champions League
Division 1
Division 2

National League
2014-2015 ENY (State) Cup
Challenge Cup
Champions Cup
New Jersey Leagues
Northern Counties | CJYSA | JAGS | Morris County | Metro | Jersey Coast | Monmouth Ocean | Mid-Jersey | South Jersey | South Jersey Girls |
EDP Spring Results
EDP Scores & Standings
ECNL
ECNL Standings
EDP (Local League)
Brackets
NSCAA HS & College Rankings
USSF Academies
USSF Academy Schedules
US Soccer
Girls NPL Listing
Brentwood | ISA | Massapequa | Manhattan SC | STA | NYSC | NJ Crush | NJ Stallions | NY Rush | Quickstrike FC | Match Fit |
Newest Members
Cinderella, Yvonne Santos, Sahara6, Jennifer717, vuhuynh
13727 Registered Users
Subscribe to BOTN
BOTN Electronic Alerts
Page 3 of 18 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 17 18 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#446683 - 09/15/11 05:03 PM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2011-2012 [Re: Powderfinger]
Anonymous
Unregistered

has anyone seen suffolk community college mens soccer team? my son did not make this team and being a courious parent i went to see the team play a home game , well I have to admit this team can probably beat any d1 college team hands down,they are a very talented group of soccer players, I assume these players will move on to d1 and 2 colleges after 2 years, do they get scouted also ? I did see some college coaches watching.my son played with one of the keepers in travel. very talented team. quite surprised

Junior Soccer Advertisements

Click Here!

#446695 - 09/15/11 08:00 PM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2011-2012 [Re: rhrhrh]
BoardLord Offline
Back of THE NET

Loc: Not Possum Gulch, Arizona
Originally Posted By: rhrhrh
Are you serious? We attended a meeting with admissions officers from the Ivy I went to, and most commitments are by January of junior year. A few months earlier than that would not be that unusual, in fact the time of 1 year before early decisions would be made was given as the start of when athletes would get verbal commitments.
A few things to make it clear to our readers : Ivy League schools do not offer soccer scholarships. What the Ivy Leagues will do is offer a "golden ticket" (preadmission) for selected key candidates who meet minimal academic requirements compared to the regular admissions pool. Golden tickets are typically used for superior athletes with weaker academic records (perhaps in the bottom quartile of the accepted class rank). Golden tickets can be allocated from an Ivy League institution at any point from sophomore year forward. (Hint : Yale has four or five golden tickets per year in women's soccer.)

#446902 - 09/18/11 01:16 PM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2011-2012 [Re: Anonymous]
BoardLord Offline
Back of THE NET

Originally Posted By: Anonymous
has anyone seen suffolk community college mens soccer team? my son did not make this team and being a courious parent i went to see the team play a home game , well I have to admit this team can probably beat any d1 college team hands down,they are a very talented group of soccer players, I assume these players will move on to d1 and 2 colleges after 2 years, do they get scouted also ? I did see some college coaches watching.my son played with one of the keepers in travel. very talented team. quite surprised
If you are interested in learning a bit more about the Suffolk Community College men's program, pick up a copy of the Sunday Newsday from today, September 18th, 2011. There is a touching story about one of their star players from last season who was headed to Dowling College this fall. Unfortunately, his death two months back has left an emotional scar on both programs. You, as a parent, might want to start with that article and have your son branch out with a discussion with the head coach.

#448125 - 09/29/11 12:41 PM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2011-2012 [Re: BoardLord]
BoardLord Offline
Back of THE NET

Reminder to our BOTN College Board Readers : While High School Varsity action swings into full gear during October, now is the time to get ready for your real showcasing which will start in mid-November with your club teams. Be sure to take an upcoming October weekend to be review that your student-athlete's player profile is up to date and that letters addressing college coaches inviting them to see your student-athlete play have been sent.

Check that the dates for upcoming College Board exams (SAT I/SAT II/ACT with writing) are set and you have registered as needed. Be sure that your Spring scheduling (particularly for Juniors) reserves those Saturdays where standardized tests are being issued.

Clearly, our senior class will be sending applications between now and January to the colleges of their choice. Junior class members should have their top ten academic and top ten athletic choices starting to take firm shape at this point; that list should include 30% stretch schools, 40% "expected schools", and 30% safety schools for those looking to balance college fit across those choices.

While school ball dominates the region's headlines right now, the showcasing action starts up again in November - right around the corner. Start your planning now in order to make the best use of the Fall/Spring recruiting windows.

#449901 - 10/18/11 08:56 AM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2011-2012 [Re: BoardLord]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: BoardLord
If you are interested in learning a bit more about the Suffolk Community College men's program, pick up a copy of the Sunday Newsday from today, September 18th, 2011. There is a touching story about one of their star players from last season who was headed to Dowling College this fall. Unfortunately, his death two months back has left an emotional scar on both programs. You, as a parent, might want to start with that article and have your son branch out with a discussion with the head coach.
I just picked up newsday, and what a mess they are in. I would say the coach did a boo boo

#450152 - 10/19/11 08:20 PM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2011-2012 [Re: Anonymous]
BoardLord Offline
Back of THE NET

I just picked up newsday, and what a mess they are in. I would say the coach did a boo boo
Yes, the Suffolk Community College program was no sooner celebrated that some wins had to be vacated based on the use of ineligible players. (To be fair, there is a rules question involved here with the NCAA although the harshest interpretation of NCAA two-year rules are generally the best ones.) There still seems to be some concensus that they will be chosen for the playoffs. We will see how this plays out.

However, our focus here on BOTN is typically on private and public four year opportunities rather than tracking the two year programs.

#450430 - 10/21/11 07:16 PM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2011-2012 [Re: BoardLord]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yes, the Suffolk Community College program was no sooner celebrated that some wins had to be vacated based on the use of ineligible players. (To be fair, there is a rules question involved here with the NCAA although the harshest interpretation of NCAA two-year rules are generally the best ones.) There still seems to be some concensus that they will be chosen for the playoffs. We will see how this plays out.

However, our focus here on BOTN is typically on private and public four year opportunities rather than tracking the two year programs.
Really? Look at the economy and tell me why a great athlete shouldn't get credits under his or her belt cheaply then move to a d1 or 2 school as a junior and save 80,000 . most colleges give no money the first year anyway and high profile players in high school sit the bench the first year. I think BOTN should start to look at those two year programs also cause there are lots of people moving in that direction.

#450445 - 10/21/11 10:44 PM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2011-2012 [Re: Anonymous]
BoardLord Offline
Back of THE NET

Really? Look at the economy and tell me why a great athlete shouldn't get credits under his or her belt cheaply then move to a d1 or 2 school as a junior and save 80,000.
Remember that BOTN has always underscored academics on the College Board with college athletics woven into the discussion. The quality of education afforded by a top academic institution will not be available (in most cases) to the student-athlete that takes the two-year community college route and wants to join come junior year.

In many ways, this discussion depends on what the high school academic record of a student-athlete indicates that the individual can handle and in parallel, what a family's financial aid package might be.

A player who starts down the College Recruitment path with soccer will be looking at four year institutions; that same player who finds him/herself at a two-year school has really been derailed in the college chase. Either that player was wasting their time showcasing (improper guidance counseling) or wound up at the wrong school.

Turning the discussion back to you, poster, this question : after several years of showcasing (which is one reason why you would be here with us on the College Board), should a family be satisfied with a two-year option from an academic and experience perspective?

Now, if academics lead a player to a community college, BOTN supports that move. However, attending a community college when academic ability exceeds that environment is a waste of two years at any price. Our personal view is that you cannot put a price on providing academic opportunity, $80,000 or otherwise.

BOTN recognizes these stressed economic times. This is one reason why we have covered the value afforded by the SUNY schools for New Yorkers (Binghamton, Geneseo, Albany, Stonybrook). In New Jersey, Rutgers is a fine choice along with others.

most colleges give no money the first year anyway and high profile players in high school sit the bench the first year. I think BOTN should start to look at those two year programs also cause there are lots of people moving in that direction.
If the discussion is purely on financial lines, let's go the full distance. Why go to college at all? You can get a job at Home Depot for $40,000 per year, build a Depot Career, and save $160,000 over four years with your numbers.

Yet, most people do not pursue that path. Why? Simply, the long term answer is career earning potential, not what exclusively happens between 18 and 22 in a young person's life.

Coming back to the original point here, BOTN is not planning to expand coverage into the two-year Community College environment since most students could just sign-up tomorrow by walking into the admissions office.

#450488 - 10/22/11 02:53 PM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2011-2012 [Re: BoardLord]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Really? Look at the economy and tell me why a great athlete shouldn't get credits under his or her belt cheaply then move to a d1 or 2 school as a junior and save 80,000.
Remember that BOTN has always underscored academics on the College Board with college athletics woven into the discussion. The quality of education afforded by a top academic institution will not be available (in most cases) to the student-athlete that takes the two-year community college route and wants to join come junior year.

In many ways, this discussion depends on what the high school academic record of a student-athlete indicates that the individual can handle and in parallel, what a family's financial aid package might be.

A player who starts down the College Recruitment path with soccer will be looking at four year institutions; that same player who finds him/herself at a two-year school has really been derailed in the college chase. Either that player was wasting their time showcasing (improper guidance counseling) or wound up at the wrong school.

Turning the discussion back to you, poster, this question : after several years of showcasing (which is one reason why you would be here with us on the College Board), should a family be satisfied with a two-year option from an academic and experience perspective?

Now, if academics lead a player to a community college, BOTN supports that move. However, attending a community college when academic ability exceeds that environment is a waste of two years at any price. Our personal view is that you cannot put a price on providing academic opportunity, $80,000 or otherwise.

BOTN recognizes these stressed economic times. This is one reason why we have covered the value afforded by the SUNY schools for New Yorkers (Binghamton, Geneseo, Albany, Stonybrook). In New Jersey, Rutgers is a fine choice along with others.

most colleges give no money the first year anyway and high profile players in high school sit the bench the first year. I think BOTN should start to look at those two year programs also cause there are lots of people moving in that direction.
If the discussion is purely on financial lines, let's go the full distance. Why go to college at all? You can get a job at Home Depot for $40,000 per year, build a Depot Career, and save $160,000 over four years with your numbers.

Yet, most people do not pursue that path. Why? Simply, the long term answer is career earning potential, not what exclusively happens between 18 and 22 in a young person's life.

Coming back to the original point here, BOTN is not planning to expand coverage into the two-year Community College environment since most students could just sign-up tomorrow by walking into the admissions office.
If you hold a B average you are automatically accepted into all Suny school including Stonybrook which is a d1 school as a junior, after your 2 year Associates is completed, but be smart and take the right courses for what you want to be, and hope you get to play soccer too. there is quite a list of schools Adelphi, and Hofstra and CW post are included in this list.There are plenty of coaches from these schools coming to see SCCC players,I know because one was for my son and he has graduated from hofstra WITHOUT a big bill like some of these kids have today thanks to two years in SCCC at $4000 a year.so I think BOTN should include the 2 year programs along with parent, My son was all Honors in High school and was accepted in many colleges for his academics and even with the scholarships he was walking away with 20000 a year for the same courses SCCC offers for $4000. and he played soccer with some of the best players on long Island.

#450489 - 10/22/11 03:01 PM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2011-2012 [Re: Anonymous]
Larry Miller Online   happy
Chief Rocker
Back of THE NET

Loc: Greenwich Village

If you hold a B average you are automatically accepted into all Suny school including Stonybrook which is a d1 school as a junior, after your 2 year Associates is completed, but be smart and take the right courses for what you want to be, and hope you get to play soccer too. there is quite a list of schools Adelphi, and Hofstra and CW post are included in this list.There are plenty of coaches from these schools coming to see SCCC players,I know because one was for my son and he has graduated from hofstra WITHOUT a big bill like some of these kids have today thanks to two years in SCCC at $4000 a year.so I think BOTN should include the 2 year programs along with parent, My son was all Honors in High school and was accepted in many colleges for his academics and even with the scholarships he was walking away with 20000 a year for the same courses SCCC offers for $4000. and he played soccer with some of the best players on long Island.

Am I understanding you correctly, that your son was all honors in high school, and chose to go to SCCC for the same courses because it was cheaper and he could play soccer?

#450514 - 10/22/11 10:23 PM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2011-2012 [Re: Anonymous]
BoardLord Offline
Back of THE NET

If you hold a B average you are automatically accepted into all Suny school including Stonybrook which is a d1 school as a junior, after your 2 year Associates is completed, but be smart and take the right courses for what you want to be, and hope you get to play soccer too. there is quite a list of schools Adelphi, and Hofstra and CW post are included in this list.
So, ultimately, the discussion becomes about what happens after four years, not two years.

There are plenty of coaches from these schools coming to see SCCC players,I know because one was for my son and he has graduated from hofstra WITHOUT a big bill like some of these kids have today thanks to two years in SCCC at $4000 a year.so I think BOTN should include the 2 year programs along with parent, My son was all Honors in High school and was accepted in many colleges for his academics and even with the scholarships he was walking away with 20000 a year for the same courses SCCC offers for $4000. and he played soccer with some of the best players on long Island.
The discussion is simple : BOTN is not researching college academic and college recruitment data on two year institutions that historically accept 90% of applicants. If everyone is accepted, what is the point of having a recruitment discussion thread.

Apply. You're in. That is just about the extent of the discussion.

If the discussion you want to hold is about the cost advantages of underplaying a student's academic prowess to save on your college bill, that is a personal decision; BOTN vehemently disagrees with that strategy, and we are not interested in covering that perspective for two year community colleges.

You can continue to offer your thoughts on this two-year topic, but it is not an area that piques our interest. BOTN would welcome your starting a new thread for two-year college discussions if your interest is strong and we will moderate the content for you.

#450516 - 10/22/11 10:31 PM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2011-2012 [Re: Larry Miller]
BoardLord Offline
Back of THE NET

Originally Posted By: Larry Miller
Am I understanding you correctly, that your son was all honors in high school, and chose to go to SCCC for the same courses because it was cheaper and he could play soccer?
That is exactly what the poster appears to be stating. Seeing a college education exclusively through the two-year cost savings prism, particularly for a student-athlete capable of more, seems like a greater waste of money than the time spent showcasing the same student-athlete. Academics are a lifetime and the investment put into it determines the benefits later in life.

#452845 - 11/09/11 02:54 PM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2011-2012 [Re: BoardLord]
Anonymous
Unregistered

College Funding
If college tuition is $30,000 and room and board is $10,000 and you receive a 50% scholarship what is amount you would receive? Basically, can college include room and board in scholarship?
Do colleges now have right to give multi year awards to student-athletes?

#452880 - 11/09/11 08:29 PM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2011-2012 [Re: Anonymous]
BoardLord Offline
Back of THE NET

College Funding
If college tuition is $30,000 and room and board is $10,000 and you receive a 50% scholarship what is amount you would receive? Basically, can college include room and board in scholarship?
Do colleges now have right to give multi year awards to student-athletes?
Whether athletic scholarships are targeted exclusively at tuition or tuition plus housing expenses will depend on the university's individual programs. Most of the examples that we have seen cover both tuition and dorming fees. Therefore, in your example, a 50% scholarship (also called a 0.50) would be worth $20,000 or one-half of the $30,000 tuition plus $10,000 housing expense.

Due to NCAA Regulations, awards are granted annually with a contract issued by the athletic department. The NCAA prohibits multiyear awards from being issued both for protection for the student and the institutions. This is validated by the university's compliance officer in the athletic department. Just to be clear, this is one reason (among others) why the "four year guaranteed free ride" that one sees on the message board from time-to-time is just fiction. A student-athlete who is exceptional might get that type of verbal promise, but it is far from a guarantee as first year offers are given to incoming freshmen.

#452953 - 11/10/11 08:20 AM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2011-2012 [Re: BoardLord]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Larry Miller
That is exactly what the poster appears to be stating. Seeing a college education exclusively through the two-year cost savings prism, particularly for a student-athlete capable of more, seems like a greater waste of money than the time spent showcasing the same student-athlete. Academics are a lifetime and the investment put into it determines the benefits later in life.

Hey Boardlord- a little off topic here but you might want to know that there are many professors at SCC that also teach(the same classes) at Stonybrook. My son attends Stonybrook and is getting a great education but apparently the academics (in many areas not necessarily all) at SCC are not as "bad" as they used to be especially with their honors program. If someone wants to come out of school debt free then it may not be such a bad place to take all the requisite courses not mandated by major without incurring all the student loan debt we are hearing about......

Sorry- back to the topic of soccer smile

Page 3 of 18 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 17 18 >

Moderator:  Arielle 
Summer Tournaments
RYSA Wildcats Labor Day
Friends of Renz Charity
FC Copa Cup
TWIST Invitational 8/15/16/17
Labor Day Freedom Cup
EDP Fall Kickoff 8/22-23
East Brunswick Labor Day
Columbus Weekend
Syosset SC Tournament
Northport Tournament
Parsippany Pride
Summer Camps & Leagues
Commack SC/SUSA
Berkshire Girls Academy
Hofstra Summer Camps
SUSA Academy
SUSA Summer Training
SUSA Summer League
Girls HS & College league
AC Milan Camps
LI Rough Riders
East Islip SC Camp
House of Sports Camps
Sponsors

Who's Online
6 registered (CJ Orlando, Sockertome, Larry Miller, Cross It 4 Fun, sanderling, GaryV), 494 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Globall Sports Centers
Soccer Leagues
Soccer Tournaments
Training Clinics
Birthday Parties
Field Rentals
LI Rough Riders
Training Program
Soccer Camps
Jr. Rough Riders
Rough Riders Select
Men's & Women's Tickets
Soccer Coliseum
Tournaments
Training
Youth Leagues
Adult Leagues
SUSA Bubble Lindenhurst
Youth Leagues
Tournaments
Adult Leagues
Training & Academy Programs
Field Rentals
Summer League
Boys NPL Listing
Brentwood | Bklyn Italians | Everton Amer. | Eastern FC | East Meadow SC | ISA | Massapequa | STA Soccer | NY Elite | HOTA | Parsippany SC | Princeton SC | Soccer Plus Acad. |

Click Here!

Copyright (c) Back of THE NET 1993 - 2015