Spring Leagues Scores: | NPL | NYCSL | NYCSL PL | JSS | NY (State) Cup | WYSL | CJSL | LIJSL | EDP | Challenge Cup | Championship Cup |
| R1 Champions League Div1 Div2 | National League | ENYPL | Staten Island | EHYSL | Long Island Cup |

BOTN NEWS BULLETIN: ISA granted NYCSL NPL BOYS club status adding to their already Girls NPL. Look for more clubs to be joining the NYCSL NPL group of clubs. ... NJ Stallions granted NYCSL Girls NPL status.

Westchester Soccer Club
Beach Blitz 5v5
Latest Tryout Posts
Everton FC Westchester U16, U17, U18, Players Born in 1999 and 1998
by Larry Miller
05/23/15 09:52 AM
GU12 (fall 2015) VOB Eclipse Tryouts-New High Level Team
by Chris M.
05/22/15 09:16 PM
Syosset BAYERN BU12 (BU13 Fall) TRYOUTS Thurs 5/18 & 6/4 5:30-7:00pm
by Wrights103
05/22/15 01:48 PM
Commack Tsunami BU15 (Fall) tryouts
by CoachTsunami
05/22/15 01:06 PM
EISC BU11 (FALL BU12) FREE open Tryouts
by Vinny Smith
05/22/15 11:51 AM
BOTN en Español
NYCSL NYPL NPL JSS

NYCSL & JSS Schedules, Scores & Standings
| NYCSL | NYPL | NPL |
NY (State) Cup | JSS |
EDP MAPS MSSL

LIJSL Scores & Standings
Spring '15 Scores & Standings

Fall '14 Sportsmanship
Spring '15 Schedule
R1 Champions League
Division 1
Division 2

National League
2014-2015 ENY (State) Cup
Challenge Cup
Champions Cup
New Jersey Leagues
Northern Counties | CJYSA | JAGS | Morris County | Metro | Jersey Coast | Monmouth Ocean | Mid-Jersey | South Jersey | South Jersey Girls |
EDP Spring Results
EDP Scores & Standings
ECNL
ECNL Standings
EDP (Local League)
Brackets
NSCAA HS & College Rankings
USSF Academies
USSF Academy Schedules
US Soccer
Girls NPL Listing
Brentwood | ISA | Massapequa | Manhattan SC | STA | NYSC | NJ Crush | NJ Stallions | NY Rush | Quickstrike FC |
Newest Members
Maria Ferreira, Mark1011, PDB Soccer, nwarren, Kristin Nocerino
13580 Registered Users
Subscribe to BOTN
BOTN Electronic Alerts
Page 2 of 18 < 1 2 3 4 ... 17 18 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#444018 - 08/16/11 01:31 AM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2011-2012 [Re: BoardLord]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello,

I got a call from the NYU mens coach the other day. He said he was very interested and definitely wants me on the team. The only problem is I dont know how much pull he has with admissions. Does anyone have a clue
of how much he can help with admissions.
Thank you

Junior Soccer Advertisements

Click Here!

#444263 - 08/18/11 11:19 AM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2011-2012 [Re: Anonymous]
BoardLord Offline
Back of THE NET

Loc: Not Possum Gulch, Arizona
Originally Posted By: Anonymous
Hello,

I got a call from the NYU mens coach the other day. He said he was very interested and definitely wants me on the team. The only problem is I dont know how much pull he has with admissions. Does anyone have a clue of how much he can help with admissions.
Thank you
NYU is an NCAA Division III institution which is a part of the University Athletic Association. BOTN strongly urges you to visit the campus and specifically spend some time understanding where the Violets practice/play as their fields are not located on the college campus as would be expected with its urban setting.

That said, NYU provides an excellent academic opportunity. While the coach can supply an indication of interest in a player to the admissions department, the NYU soccer coaches (men and women) do not get "golden tickets" to hand-pick students for admission. With that in mind, be sure that your are presenting an ACT score of at least a 30 (composite) or three-way SAT score of 2000 to be at the midpoint of accepted and enrolled freshman.

College Board Profile for New York University

#444541 - 08/21/11 07:48 PM SIZE - LEVEL of Play [Re: BoardLord]
cooler Offline
Back of THE NET

Boardlord, my daughter has the skill to play D1 but does not have the size. She does not care for the location of some of the D2 schools. Her GPA is 95, most of the schools she likes are D3. Is there any way she can anything for soccer or am I wasting my time and money going to these showcase tournaments? It seems if I just saved the money I spent on these tournaments its a even trade. It seems at D3 she should just use her academics and walk onto a team.

#444577 - 08/22/11 08:32 AM Re: SIZE - LEVEL of Play [Re: cooler]
BoardLord Offline
Back of THE NET

Originally Posted By: cooler
Boardlord, my daughter has the skill to play D1 but does not have the size. She does not care for the location of some of the D2 schools. Her GPA is 95, most of the schools she likes are D3.
Remember that NCAA Divisions are not like LIJSL Divisions which reflect team ability. There are Division III programs that can easily handle Division I and Division II programs. There are Division I programs which are underfunded despite being eligible to offer scholarships.

In discussing size and ability, you will really need to look at the individual school and the conference in which the institution participates in order to make an appropriate assessment for your daughter's fit into that environment.

Given your daughter's average (and we assume matching board scores), you might want to consider the Patriot League schools (Division I) which have quality academics in many cases (Lehigh, Lafayette, Bucknell). At the Division III level, starting with the NESCAC schools (Williams, Amherst, Middlebury, Colby, Bates and others) will certainly be worth your investigative time.

Is there any way she can anything for soccer or am I wasting my time and money going to these showcase tournaments?
Hopefully, your family has been participating in high level soccer to support your daughter in terms of social and skills development over the import for a soccer scholarship.

Wasting time and money is a personal value assessment. If your goal was to realize a return-on-investment from your soccer dollars spent, perhaps there are better financial vehicles to gain returns, but a mutual fund will never give you the enjoyment you should be experiencing with your daughter, her teammates, and their families during the showcasing process.

When she is away at college in just a couple of short years, you will miss the weekends away as a family although the chase might seem arduous right now. Relish the moment, my friend; you are not wasting money.

It seems if I just saved the money I spent on these tournaments its a even trade. It seems at D3 she should just use her academics and walk onto a team.
Even at Division III programs, walk-ons are often still not encouraged and securing a roster spot with the coach is still highly recommended. Further, a Division III coach can arrange for meetings with the financial aid department who can perhaps bring specific academic grant money to the table for your daughter. While athletic scholarships are not permitted, certainly Division III schools do everything possible to funnel academic money to target candidates to entice them to attend.

#444663 - 08/22/11 02:57 PM Re: SIZE - LEVEL of Play [Re: BoardLord]
cooler Offline
Back of THE NET

Thanks for getting back to me.

#444869 - 08/24/11 10:42 AM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2011-2012 [Re: cooler]
BoardLord Offline
Back of THE NET

There is a very detailed resource on the girls side of collegiate soccer recruitment provides details searchable based on a number of criterias:
  • National team experience
  • Class graduation year
  • Search by College
  • Search by Club
  • Search by Event
  • Search by Accolades
The detailed link is available here : Detailed Women's Soccer Recruiting Spreadsheet

To take this further on the boys side is much more difficult as there is not single source of data that can be used to execute searches. ESPN Rise has several web sites dedicated to this type of information and those links are supplied below for your reference.

Class of 2010, Boys Division I College Commitments
Class of 2010, Boys Division II College Commitments
Class of 2010, Boys Division III College Commitments
Class of 2011, Boys Division I College Commitments
Class of 2011, Boys Division II College Commitments
Class of 2012, Boys Division I College Commitments

Class of 2010, Girls Division I College Commitments (By College)
Class of 2011, Girls Division I College Commitments (By College)

#445631 - 09/02/11 10:03 AM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2011-2012 [Re: BoardLord]
Anonymous
Unregistered

BoardLord - my U/16 girls team is set for October and November and we are trying to finalize our December plans. There looks like there are three or four options in the area (New York, New Jersey) before thinking about Florida. Like you say, teams should be attending if possible where there target coaches will be. Any thoughts?

#445664 - 09/03/11 08:44 AM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2011-2012 [Re: Anonymous]
BoardLord Offline
Back of THE NET

BoardLord - my U/16 girls team is set for October and November and we are trying to finalize our December plans. There looks like there are three or four options in the area (New York, New Jersey) before thinking about Florida. Like you say, teams should be attending if possible where there target coaches will be. Any thoughts?
Tournaments throughout later November into December include the CASL Raleigh (North Carolina), National Elite (New York), and MAPS/MSSL's (New Jersey) Winter Showcase. These were always the most noteworthy three from which good results have been reported year after year before heading to Florida.

Kirkwood (Delaware) runs a Thankgiving weekend two-day showcase which is still open until the end of October. They have expanded this event to have a two-day girls showcase and a one-day girls showcase during the three-day weekend.

All of these events are associated with premier clubs/teams (CASL, National Elite with Albertson, Kirkwood) and premier leagues (MAPS/MSSL) which creates a great drawing card for coaches. College coaches trust these tournaments to bring in quality teams making recruiting in these venues worth the effort after the long collegiate season.

Hopefully, these suggestions help your late season planning.

#445666 - 09/03/11 08:51 AM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2011-2012 [Re: BoardLord]
BoardLord Offline
Back of THE NET

In addition, BOTN is also covering the Town of Wallkill College Showcase in early November this year.

This event recruits for colleges within the New York tri-state area and is an excellent option for Fall recruitment similar to the Shenentaha Showcase at the end of June.

Check out the 2010 year coaches - expect that 2011 traffic will be of a similar profile. If you are not already committed for an early November event and your varsity players can afford the time away in early November, this might provide a nice option on the recruitment calendar.

Girls 2010 College Coaches - Wallkill

Boys 2010 College Coaches - Wallkill

#445675 - 09/03/11 07:38 PM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2011-2012 [Re: BoardLord]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: BoardLord

In this discussion, you have disclosed that your daughter is a rising Junior in High School. So, there was an NCAA Division I or Division II coach that offered your daughter a 100%-athletics based scholarship for their Class of 2017 having seen your daughter as a sophomore only?

Yes

Quote:
That is quite a gamble from the coach's side. However, deciding on a college as a 16-year-old can be an even more daunting task.

How is this a gamble for the coach? Over 100 girls in the class of 13 are already committed.

Quote:
Question : Exactly what was said by the coach?

One coach has left the offer open with no time limit , another has said "first come first serve"

Quote:
First as we have said many times, having the Top Ten Academic and Top Ten Athletic schools set before the recruiting process begins helps to avoid these "might be a first choice" discussions. To help narrow the discussion, consider these questions : Is your daughter's desired major (or interest area) covered? Is the school in a location that is acceptable to all of you? Is the academic environment suitable for your daughter's academics to this point?

All the schools who have made offers or have said they will if test scores are as expected are schools she had targeted as good choices for her. and I approved.

It is only the beginning of Jr. year but it seems clear to me that each coach does things his own way and in his own style.

#445681 - 09/03/11 09:40 PM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2011-2012 [Re: Anonymous]
BoardLord Offline
Back of THE NET

Quote:
Question : Exactly what was said by the coach?
One coach has left the offer open with no time limit, another has said "first come first serve"
BOTN asks that you be very careful with these open ended, no time limit offers. It is completely possible that money you think would be targetted for your daughter could be reallocated without your knowing if the window is open for a long time. We speak from experience here as we have seen large offers subsequently decreased when a long time between an offer and acceptance had passed.

Quote:
First as we have said many times, having the Top Ten Academic and Top Ten Athletic schools set before the recruiting process begins helps to avoid these "might be a first choice" discussions. To help narrow the discussion, consider these questions : Is your daughter's desired major (or interest area) covered? Is the school in a location that is acceptable to all of you? Is the academic environment suitable for your daughter's academics to this point?
All the schools who have made offers or have said they will if test scores are as expected are schools she had targeted as good choices for her. and I approved.

It is only the beginning of Jr. year but it seems clear to me that each coach does things his own way and in his own style.
Absolutely true - there are no set rules as you have indicated. Here's to hoping that your daughter's academics and board scores are ready for the challenge and exceed expectations.

Thanks for contributing.

#446088 - 09/08/11 10:16 PM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2011-2012 [Re: BoardLord]
BoardLord Offline
Back of THE NET

Tonight, we have a slightly different topic to cover for the college bound soccer community.

Often times here on BOTN's College Forum, we are asked questions about how a young student-athlete can be properly prepared to meet with a Head Coach or Recruiting Coach when visiting the University or College of their choice.

Certainly, parents should be "rehearsing" such a session with their teenager as it is rare that a sixteen year old will be sufficiently prepared to carry on an "adult conversation" when the stakes are very high. It is critically important that the student-athlete not only engage in the conversation with the coach, but actually lead some of the discussion to obtain details to help in the final selection process.

Here are some specific questions which a student-athlete might want to consider asking to break the ice with a College Coach. As time goes by on BOTN, we will augment this listing. So, what type of answers might one expect from a coach to these open-ended queries? While the results are unpredictable, certainly these topics will open up the discussion.

• How many recruits are you bringing into the upcoming class and where do you think I fit into your scheme?
  • What is the best way to get evaluated by your staff and are there additional soccer tournaments that you will be attending?
  • How would you describe your coaching style?
  • From a social perspective, do the players typically live together or in the same area?
  • What are the policies about study hours and monitoring of academic performances?
  • Is there any type of support from admissions that could be offered to a player in my academic situation?
  • Are there any opportunities for financial aid and can you help make an introduction for me?
  • What does the typical day of a player on your team look like?
  • When does the team train and when do most of the players have classes?

#446614 - 09/15/11 01:39 AM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2011-2012 [Re: BoardLord]
rhrhrh Offline
Back of THE NET

I read above that when a coach offers a full ride it is expected that the offer be accepted or rejected quickly.

This is concerning as my daughter was offered a full ride but has been told by several other schools that they will be making her an offer in a few months after reviewing SAT's and or transcripts.
In this discussion, you have disclosed that your daughter is a rising Junior in High School. So, there was an NCAA Division I or Division II coach that offered your daughter a 100%-athletics based scholarship for their Class of 2017 having seen your daughter as a sophomore only?

That is quite a gamble from the coach's side. However, deciding on a college as a 16-year-old can be an even more daunting task.

Are you serious? We attended a meeting with admissions officers from the Ivy I went to, and most commitments are by January of junior year. A few months earlier than that would not be that unusual, in fact the time of 1 year before early decisions would be made was given as the start of when athletes would get verbal commitments.

#446615 - 09/15/11 01:48 AM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2011-2012 [Re: BoardLord]
rhrhrh Offline
Back of THE NET

Hello,

I got a call from the NYU mens coach the other day. He said he was very interested and definitely wants me on the team. The only problem is I dont know how much pull he has with admissions. Does anyone have a clue of how much he can help with admissions.
Thank you
NYU is an NCAA Division III institution which is a part of the University Athletic Association. BOTN strongly urges you to visit the campus and specifically spend some time understanding where the Violets practice/play as their fields are not located on the college campus as would be expected with its urban setting.

That said, NYU provides an excellent academic opportunity. While the coach can supply an indication of interest in a player to the admissions department, the NYU soccer coaches (men and women) do not get "golden tickets" to hand-pick students for admission. With that in mind, be sure that your are presenting an ACT score of at least a 30 (composite) or three-way SAT score of 2000 to be at the midpoint of accepted and enrolled freshman.

College Board Profile for New York University

Great response except for one thing. Not many athletes are above the average SAT and GPA score for the school. The Ivy I went to used to state that their average class rank was top 10%, and they always had a star for "excluding freshman athletes". Not that you can dog the SATs or your grades, but athletics definitely gives a major boost.

The admissions officer we talked to actually used to work directly with athlete recruitment, and therefore had some great info. She said specifically that the process is that the coach identifies players, and asks the admissions officers directly "which of these players would you accept?". He might have three forwards with different GPAs and SAT scores, and the admissions office might say two are good enough, but the other is not. And that frankly is it - if he says "okay, I'll take my top pick of the two forwards who would be accepted" - poof, the kid is given an offer and he or she will be accepted. All of this out of the horse's mouth for my son's target school.

The point is that you have to meet minimum requirements to get in, but Johnny No-sports who has the same academic stats would not get in period. Many schools want athletics very badly, even if their program is not top ten.

But another reality flash - last year's recruiting class at that Ivy had three national team players in it. All this talk about not putting all your eggs into one basket is key. We may have to face the choice of go to the school he wants to but not play soccer, or go to a school that's almost as good but he doesn't love, but he can play soccer. The variation we think is most likely is go to his #1 school (he's a HS freshman now) and play on club teams outside of the college.

#446636 - 09/15/11 09:59 AM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2011-2012 [Re: rhrhrh]
Powderfinger Offline
Back of THE NET

That's called the preferential pool, when your outside interests get you looked at aside from your academics. This can be anything at which you excel, from athletics to the arts.

Page 2 of 18 < 1 2 3 4 ... 17 18 >

Moderator:  Arielle 
TWIST Invitational
Match Fit Summer Kickoff
Kick It 3v3
Levittown SC Renz Charity
Commack Memorial Weekend

Memorial Weekend Tournaments
W. Babylon Festival
Manalapan SC (NJ)
EDP Cup (NJ)
MSSL Explosion (NJ)
Pocono Cup (PA)
Spring & Summer Tournaments
RYSA Wildcats Labor Day
MAPS Spring Schedule
Valencia, Spain Tournament
Kick It 3v3
Match Fit Montclair Utd.
Levittown Renz Charity
Beach Blitz
MAPS Summer Challenge
LIRR Beach Bash
TWIST Invitational
Labor Day Freedom Cup
Central Jersey Invit.
Lehigh Valley Steamroll
Summer Camps & Leagues
Berkshire Girls Academy
Hofstra Summer Camps
SUSA Academy
SUSA Summer Training
SUSA Summer League
Girls HS & College league
AC Milan Camps
LI Rough Riders
East Islip SC Camp
Columbus Weekend
Syosset SC Tournament
Northport Cow Harbor
Sponsors

Who's Online
2 registered (Larry Miller, LIRef77), 525 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Globall Sports Centers
Soccer Leagues
Soccer Tournaments
Training Clinics
Birthday Parties
Field Rentals
LI Rough Riders
Training Program
Soccer Camps
Jr. Rough Riders
Rough Riders Select
Men's & Women's Tickets
Soccer Coliseum
Tournaments
Training
Youth Leagues
Adult Leagues
SUSA Bubble Lindenhurst
Youth Leagues
Tournaments
Adult Leagues
Training & Academy Programs
Field Rentals
Summer League
Premier Soccer Academy
Tournaments
Youth Academy ID Camps
Camps
Coaching Services
Kickin’ Kiddie Program
Boys NPL Listing
Brentwood | Bklyn Italians | Everton Amer. | Eastern FC | East Meadow SC | ISA | Massapequa | STA Soccer | NY Elite | HOTA | Parsippany SC | Princeton SC | Soccer Plus Acad. |

Click Here!

Copyright (c) Back of THE NET 1993 - 2015