Have you registered for the East End Tournament yet? Don't miss out on the 20th Anniversary Long Island Soccer Summer Tradition ... Upcoming Summer Tournaments & Events: July 26, MAPS Caps Classic August 9, LIRR Kickoff Classic - West Islip SC Roar at The Shore - East End Tournament August 16, TWIST August 23, EMSC Summer August 30, Oceanside SC Labor Day - West Babylon SC ASA Labor Day......

Subscribe to BOTN
BOTN Electronic Alerts
Nobody Does It Better
NYCSL_NYPL_NPL_JSS

NYCSL & JSS Schedules, Scores & Standings
| NYCSL | NYPL | NPL |
NY (State) Cup | JSS |
New York Stars
LIJSL Scores & Standings
Spring '14 Scores & Standings
Long Island Cup
Spring '14 Sportsmanship Standings
Fall '14 Schedule
Spring '15 Schedule
Region 1 League Scores
Premier League
NERP
Colonial League
2013-2014 ENY (State) Cup
Challenge Cup U10-U12
Challenge Cup U13-U19
Open Cup
New Jersey Leagues
Northern Counties | CJYSA | JAGS | Morris County | Metro | Jersey Coast | Monmouth Ocean | Mid-Jersey | South Jersey | South Jersey Girls |
ECNL
ECNL Standings
EDP Spring 2014
Brackets, Schedules & Scores
NSCAA HS & College Rankings
USSF Academies
USSF Academy Schedules
US Soccer
Coaching Drills
Girls NPL Listing
Aztec Soccer | Brentwood | ISA | Massapequa | Massachusetts Premier | STA | NEFC | NJ Crush | NJSA04 | NY Rush | NR Sting | Oakwood | Parsippany SC | Seacoast Utd. | Yankee Utd. |
Latest Tryout Posts
GU17 East Islip Wildats Open Practices
by wildcats97
Yesterday at 10:18 AM
Region 1 Northeast League Girls U-18 (Born after 08/01/1996)
by js4kix
07/20/14 10:35 PM
GOALKEEPER WANTED - Girls U-14 East Islip United ACADEMY
by js4kix
07/20/14 10:11 PM
Newest Members
Ces1ne, barca123, GK GU14, NJ Youth Soccer, Drewsuf Rathbun
13241 Registered Users
Google Translate
BOTN Photo Gallery
Me and Julio Down By The School Yard
Page 4 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11 12 >
New Reply
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#461121 - 02/03/12 11:00 AM Re: LIJSL Fall Sportsmanship Standings [Re: Larry Miller]
LIRef77 Offline
Back of THE NET

You sound like a coach trying to do the right thing. Not once did I defend a referee regarding the award. Are referees perfect? No. Do you think they take the trouble to be recertified every year and work multiple games because they want to do a poor job? Don't blame the referees if the system is not perfect. Some of the complaints strike me as the usual tactic abused today. Don't like the question? Blame the media. Don't like the result of the game? Blame the referee. Still want to argue an inconsequential throw-in call from earlier in the game because you thought I got it wrong? What sense does that make? My comments have been limited to the value of the award and its scoring system. However now you are making comments and assumptions about how referees are scoring that are based on it being their 3rd game and being antagonistic? The system is not perfect. I think the new change reported by a poster regarding weekly posting of the scores will be helpful and increase transparency. If that happens then teams will get immediate feedback and see where they stand week after week.

Top Reply Quote Quick Reply Quick Quote
Junior Soccer Advertisements

Click Here!

#461129 - 02/03/12 12:08 PM Re: LIJSL Fall Sportsmanship Standings [Re: LIRef77]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: LIRef77
You sound like a coach trying to do the right thing. Not once did I defend a referee regarding the award. Are referees perfect? No. Do you think they take the trouble to be recertified every year and work multiple games because they want to do a poor job? Don't blame the referees if the system is not perfect. Some of the complaints strike me as the usual tactic abused today. Don't like the question? Blame the media. Don't like the result of the game? Blame the referee. Still want to argue an inconsequential throw-in call from earlier in the game because you thought I got it wrong? What sense does that make? My comments have been limited to the value of the award and its scoring system. However now you are making comments and assumptions about how referees are scoring that are based on it being their 3rd game and being antagonistic? The system is not perfect. I think the new change reported by a poster regarding weekly posting of the scores will be helpful and increase transparency. If that happens then teams will get immediate feedback and see where they stand week after week.

Reading theses posts, you can quickly figure out some of the problems, first of all ego, every post is my, my, my. My teams does this, my girls do that. It should always be our team.

Second, the ratings are obvously going to be varied from week to week based on the referee, the game conditions and results. Some refs as stated earlier do not give more than an 8, which means they rarely give even an 8, parents and most coaches act differently based on results, whether you like it or not, there are less complaints and comments when you win. Check the results this year when they are updated weekly, you will score higher in most wins than you do losses.

Third, the quality of refs and personality of the refs flucuate drastically from week to week. Some don't allow players to ask questions, some do not speak during the game, not even to explain a call to avoid confusion, some handle game s the same regardless of age group, some are just abrasive. Some are terrific and the game goes smoothly win or lose. It's a subjective rating that is done differently each week.

#461163 - 02/03/12 02:51 PM Re: LIJSL Fall Sportsmanship Standings [Re: Larry Miller]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Each and every game has different interaction of all involved. As for the end of season results, a team that finished at or near the bottom has been rated by as many as 10 different referees. IMHO, if they are at the bottom there is a reason for it and they deserve it. The same goes for the team at the top of the standings!

#461181 - 02/03/12 04:09 PM Re: LIJSL Fall Sportsmanship Standings [Re: Anonymous]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Anonymous
Each and every game has different interaction of all involved. As for the end of season results, a team that finished at or near the bottom has been rated by as many as 10 different referees. IMHO, if they are at the bottom there is a reason for it and they deserve it. The same goes for the team at the top of the standings!

Good point....the team that came in 1st in GU12 D3 came in last in sportmanship by a decent margin. My daughters team was the only team to beat them during the season so the parents were chirpy and borderline obnoxious, especially after going down 0-3 in the 1st half.
I figured the score led to their ire, but like I said, they came in first in the league and after being seen by up to 9 refs during the season, I guess their behavior was consistent during the season.
The funny thing with that ref was that his wife and a few of that teams mothers were BFF's and having a cozy chat during the half. That was probably that teams highest rated sportsmanship week!

#461185 - 02/03/12 04:46 PM Re: LIJSL Fall Sportsmanship Standings [Re: BoardLord]
Anonymous
Unregistered

LI Ref - how many points off for no armband? How many points off for untucked jerseys (1 point per kid?)

Boardlord is right no printed guidelines.

LISRA has never given me any parameters to grade against.

#461214 - 02/03/12 09:22 PM Re: LIJSL Fall Sportsmanship Standings [Re: Anonymous]
Anonymous
Unregistered

LI Ref - how many points off for no armband? How many points off for untucked jerseys (1 point per kid?)

Boardlord is right no printed guidelines.

LISRA has never given me any parameters to grade against.
Are you serious? Every opening season mandatory meeting the sportsmanship ratings were discussed to all referees. If you are a referee and said you did not hear any such thing then you were either sleeping, not paying attention or BSing.

The scoring is 45 points per team

1 to 10 for parents
1 to 10 for players
1 to 10 for coaches
1 to 10 overall
1 to 5 for appearance.

Each referee grades the teams differently and that is the way it is, a referee can reduce 5 points for each time they hear 'what game are you watching' to 'if they push you push them back'.

Why don't you video tape yourselves and than you can play it back to see the ugly truth.

#461221 - 02/03/12 11:05 PM Re: LIJSL Fall Sportsmanship Standings [Re: Larry Miller]
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've coached and watched my 5 kids for the past 11 years in LIJSL and putting aside any negative bias that some folks may have for the league, the simple fact that people are taking enough time to write about the sportsmanship award system means that the program is having a positive impact. Like too many topics in this site, some parents will view everything as a competition and that the system is somehow fixed against their team or kid.

The point of the sportsmanship award is not to identify a winner, it is to elevate everyone's awareness of the need for sportsmanship in the game. Sure, it's a way to "acknowledge" teams with consistently high marks for sportsmanship but does it really matter if your team finishes first, second, third or fourth? Of course, the answer is no.

I will tell you that it is not hard to wonder what the sportsmanship levels are of the teams that consistently finish near the bottom of their division. They are certainly "winners" of a different kind of award.

I for one am glad that folks are talking about sportsmanship because it may be the single most important thing that 100% of the players, coaches and parents can take away from the experience.

#461224 - 02/04/12 12:32 AM Re: LIJSL Fall Sportsmanship Standings [Re: Anonymous]
Anonymous
Unregistered

The reason why sportsmanship is a joke! If the goal is to reward the well behaved, then every team should get a report of how they got their points,or lost points so they know what they need to improve upon. Until I can get specific feedback, then I do not know what my team needs to work on.

#461227 - 02/04/12 03:53 AM Re: LIJSL Fall Sportsmanship Standings [Re: Anonymous]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sportsmanship is a joke in LIJSL. My daughters team did not get one card all year. They play the game and had fun were never disrespectful. Other teams we played agains the coach got red carded and they still finished ahead of us.

Explain that please. Can you request as a coach for the sportsamnship scores for each game? The only thing people are now going to talk about is it doesn't matter what a team or coach does it's total BS so just play.

#461232 - 02/04/12 08:16 AM Re: LIJSL Fall Sportsmanship Standings [Re: Anonymous]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sportsmanship is a joke in LIJSL. My daughters team did not get one card all year. They play the game and had fun were never disrespectful. Other teams we played agains the coach got red carded and they still finished ahead of us.

Explain that please. Can you request as a coach for the sportsamnship scores for each game? The only thing people are now going to talk about is it doesn't matter what a team or coach does it's total BS so just play.

so you are saying all ten refs who may rate a little differently were against your team because your team was soooo perfect.... come on wake up like other posters said there is a lot of subjectivity in the scoring but if your team is constantly towards the bottom something is wrong with your team constantly toward the top something is right with your team it is that simple just like you

#461233 - 02/04/12 08:23 AM Re: LIJSL Fall Sportsmanship Standings [Re: Larry Miller]
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think a previous poster got it right. It's about elevating the good sporting behavior of all. Just because your daughters don't wear a patch, doesn't mean that they player with HONOR. I Coached intramural and then a travel team for 8 years. Too many Coaches worry about the award and the "unfairness" of it. Don't let it keep you from continuing to model sporting behavior to your daughters. Whether you win division championships or sportmanship patches or not hopefully you will have positive experiences to look back on. I think we all need to remember what's important to teach our children. I reffed a GU-11 game this past fall and there was a rabid Dad chasing his right forward daughter down the line SCREAMING at the top of his lungs at her. WHY must this happen?

#461234 - 02/04/12 08:37 AM Re: LIJSL Fall Sportsmanship Standings [Re: Anonymous]
LIRef77 Offline
Back of THE NET

If you are taking the time to post officiating questions on this site and your aim is to embarass referees all you are doing is embarassing yourself. If you are really a referee then you should know what site to go to and who your SDI is and other officials in LISRA. IF you are reffing games and filling out scores for sportsmanship without knowing what to do then that is YOUR fault. The scoring system is not rocket science. Get to a meeting. You get a yellow card from me for irresponsible behavior.

#461235 - 02/04/12 08:38 AM Re: LIJSL Fall Sportsmanship Standings [Re: Anonymous]
LIRef77 Offline
Back of THE NET

I meant play with honor, sorry for the typo

#461252 - 02/04/12 12:03 PM Re: LIJSL Fall Sportsmanship Standings [Re: Anonymous]
Anonymous
Unregistered

For those asking for a report card each game or whatever, I would simply say good sportsmanship is like good manners..... you know it when you see it. Coaches and parents should not need a manual or a scorecard.

#461267 - 02/04/12 05:01 PM Re: LIJSL Fall Sportsmanship Standings [Re: Anonymous]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Some coaches and parents deal with things differently in any sport. Some will contest any call on the field because they think they have knowledge or better yet know a buzz word.

A referee is the best person to handle the scoring because they mostly are not bias against a team unless they are yell at every step on the field. Many referees leave after being confronted by dopey coaches, parents and trainers.

The kids never have any sort of issue until their coaches give them an opening to complain or dissent on calls. Many of you who never ever referee a game do not know what happens on that field.

If you want to get a team breakdown than call the league and ask them for the number to reach the person, I have done that in the past and they have spoken to me about what they saw during the course of a season.

For the coaches that have no idea they could do this have not being paying attention to the league meetings or they do not care about sportsmanship.

Page 4 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11 12 >
Quick Reply:
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled

Moderator:  Arielle, Larry Miller, ZiggyRowe 
Tournaments

Summer Tournaments
Central Jersey Invit.
MAPS Caps Classic
RVSC Summer Select
Oceanside SC Labor Day
East End Tournament
LIRR Beach Bash
TWIST
W.I. Roar at The Shore
LIRR Kickoff Classic
EMSC Summer
WBSC ASA Labor Day
Summer Camps & Leagues
Rough Riders
East Islip SC
Coastal Camps
NYSC Camps
NYSC Core Training
NY Rush
Coastal Summer League
PSA Development Pgm.
House of Sports
EDP College Prep Camp
USAS Summer Camps
PSA & USAS Camp
Hofstra University
Superdome World Class
SUSA Summer
Adult Men's League
KK Athletics
NY Stars
BOCA Juniors
Fall & Columbus Weekend
MAPS Fall Challenge
East Islip Fall Classic
Northport SC
Parsippany Pride
RVSC College Showcase
Sponsors

LI Rough Riders
Training Program
Soccer Camps
Jr. Rough Riders
Rough Riders Select
Men's & Women's Tickets
Globall Sports Centers
Soccer Leagues
Soccer Tournaments
Training Clinics
Birthday Parties
Field Rentals
SUSA Bubble Lindenhurst
Youth Leagues
Tournaments
Adult Leagues
Training & Academy Programs
Field Rentals
Summer League
Soccer Coliseum
Tournaments
Training
Youth Leagues
Adult Leagues
Premier Soccer Academy
Tournaments
Youth Academy ID Camps
Camps
Coaching Services
Kickiní Kiddie Program
Who's Online
0 registered (), 309 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Boys NPL Listing
Brentwood | Bklyn Italians | Everton Amer. | Eastern FC | East Meadow SC | Massapequa | STA Soccer | NY Elite | HOTA | Parsippany SC | Princeton SC | Soccer Plus Acad. |

Click Here!

Copyright (c) Back of THE NET 1993 - 2014