Premier League
NERP
Colonial League
2014-2015 ENY (State) Cup
Challenge Cup U10-U12
Challenge Cup U13-U19
Open Cup
New Jersey Leagues
Northern Counties | CJYSA | JAGS | Morris County | Metro | Jersey Coast | Monmouth Ocean | Mid-Jersey | South Jersey | South Jersey Girls |
ECNL
ECNL Standings
EDP Fall 2014
Brackets
Schedules
NSCAA HS & College Rankings
USSF Academies
USSF Academy Schedules
US Soccer
Coaching Drills
Girls NPL Listing
Aztec Soccer | Brentwood | ISA | Massapequa | Massachusetts Premier | STA | NEFC | NJ Crush | NJSA04 | NY Rush | NR Sting | Oakwood | Parsippany SC | Seacoast Utd. | Yankee Utd. |
Latest Tryout Posts
GU9 FC SESA Stars
by FC SESA
Yesterday at 07:25 AM
2 BU19 Players looking for a team
by ACmilan142
08/21/14 06:01 PM
BOCA Juniors Tryouts
by Larry Miller
08/21/14 04:46 PM
Newest Members
Joe Paliseno, Magic/Bullets, SoccermomU8, The Law, Rohan Dennis
13271 Registered Users
BOTN Photo Gallery
Farrell's Ice Cream Parlour in Massapequa
Page 5 of 18 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 17 18 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#453704 - 11/14/11 08:16 PM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2011-2012 [Re: BoardLord]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: BoardLord
Originally Posted By: Anonymous
My daughter (a junior) wrote to a Big East college to express her interest after a campus visit. She offered her upcoming ECNL schedule and was told that they are finished with their recruiting class for 2013 in terms of having any money left to offer. We didn't even get started showcasing yet! Are they now chasing sophomores? She knows there are plenty of other schools with various timelines, but that was a shocker.
Most scholarship NCAA Division I programs will be completely committed no later than Memorial Day of the student-athlete's junior year. Top flight colleges and universities will have their offers and verbal acceptances in place by the January/February timeframe of junior year.

Now, to be fair, it is completely possible that the university to which your daughter was speaking does not have sufficient funds to make many offers to your daughter's graduation year. In other words, it is possible that the piggy bank is relatively empty; of course, it is also possible that the funds have already been verbally allocated.

Sharing which university was involved might help clear some of the fog around this discussion.

Villanova.

Junior Soccer Advertisements

Click Here!

#453713 - 11/14/11 09:31 PM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2011-2012 [Re: Anonymous]
BoardLord Offline
Back of THE NET

Loc: Not Possum Gulch, Arizona
Sharing which university was involved might help clear some of the fog around this discussion.
Villanova.
Extremely interesting in that Coach Byford left behind some very negative personal relationships with his players at Loyola before moving back to head the Wildcats Women's soccer program. He also left behind some undocumented "verbal" deals which created significant strains when he left the program. [BOTN has first hand knowledge of these deals and will not disclose the insider information - it is just interesting that the same types of questions are being raised again.]

Take a look at the Villanova roster. There are four seniors leaving the roster this season from a total roster of 22 players. It is highly likely that the amount of scholarship money coming free is limited. Replacing Katie Nagy, Katie Ryan, and a couple of others will be major and immediate priorities.

Take a look at the box score from the October 2nd match against #22 West Virginia. Yes, Villanova pulled off the upset, 4-1. Great news, right? Take another look at the number of players involved in the win. Eleven started, eleven played, eleven finished - the same eleven despite a 4-1 lead at the 73rd minute.

As we have often said, do your research on the institution first and foremost. In this case, we recommend doing some extra research on the coach and his program.

#453793 - 11/15/11 10:14 AM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2011-2012 [Re: BoardLord]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Villanova.
Extremely interesting in that Coach Byford left behind some very negative personal relationships with his players at Loyola before moving back to head the Wildcats Women's soccer program. He also left behind some undocumented "verbal" deals which created significant strains when he left the program. [BOTN has first hand knowledge of these deals and will not disclose the insider information - it is just interesting that the same types of questions are being raised again.]

Take a look at the Villanova roster. There are four seniors leaving the roster this season from a total roster of 22 players. It is highly likely that the amount of scholarship money coming free is limited. Replacing Katie Nagy, Katie Ryan, and a couple of others will be major and immediate priorities.

Take a look at the box score from the October 2nd match against #22 West Virginia. Yes, Villanova pulled off the upset, 4-1. Great news, right? Take another look at the number of players involved in the win. Eleven started, eleven played, eleven finished - the same eleven despite a 4-1 lead at the 73rd minute.

As we have often said, do your research on the institution first and foremost. In this case, we recommend doing some extra research on the coach and his program.

Thanks for the info. Thought provoking.

#453799 - 11/15/11 10:32 AM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2011-2012 [Re: Anonymous]
Anonymous
Unregistered

This is really great information. My daughter is interested in playing in college and this gives me ideas for researching how a program is run that I never thought of. Is it true that a lot of kids that start as freshman playing d1 end up quitting the sport? I heard a rumor that the percentage of kids who stop playing is pretty high. I am wondering if I should encourage her to look at d2 and d3 where she might get more playing time right off the bat and have more time to balance academics.

#453880 - 11/15/11 02:12 PM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2011-2012 [Re: Anonymous]
BoardLord Offline
Back of THE NET

This is really great information. My daughter is interested in playing in college and this gives me ideas for researching how a program is run that I never thought of.
Using the web site of most college programs is a fabulous way to acquaint yourself with the team should you not be able to get to games. Some of the elements that you might want to check are these:
  • How many freshman have been brought in over the last year? Last two years?
  • How many players see field action during a regular season non-conference game? Conference games?
  • Are there any players from my local area that we can call to get the "inside" on the program?
  • Is the coach readily accessible to all the players or is there an assistant that handles the player relationships and recruiting?
Is it true that a lot of kids that start as freshman playing d1 end up quitting the sport? I heard a rumor that the percentage of kids who stop playing is pretty high.
Depends on the school, the coach, and the player. Take a look at the average number of freshmen brought onto a roster and compare that with the number of seniors on the same team. That will give you some visibility into the attrition seen over a four year period.

I am wondering if I should encourage her to look at d2 and d3 where she might get more playing time right off the bat and have more time to balance academics.
First and foremost, your list of target schools should be based on academics (top ten choices as if you could never play soccer again; three stretch, four "expected", three safety including a local option) and athletics (similarly, stretch, expected, and safety options). The intersection of these two lists yields your best target options. However, remember that BOTN will always err on the side of academics over athletics.

Second, when it comes to NCAA Divisions, be sure to check out the program itself. Division II schools are not necessarily "easier" targets than Division I schools. Further, Division III schools will see your child playing for the love the sport and perhaps grant consideration; athletic funding is not available.

#454031 - 11/15/11 10:31 PM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2011-2012 [Re: BoardLord]
BoardLord Offline
Back of THE NET

Now that High School Varsity playoffs have moved to the State level, this is the time to start getting your letters out to college coaches to invite them to see you at your upcoming November and December showcase events : CASL/Raleigh, National Elite, MAPS/MSSL Winter Showcases, Disney, Orange, Cocoa Beach, and others. Best wishes to all of our readers and student-athletes as the showcase season again resumes from now through June/July 2012.

#454119 - 11/16/11 12:20 PM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2011-2012 [Re: BoardLord]
rhrhrh Offline
Back of THE NET

Now that High School Varsity playoffs have moved to the State level, this is the time to start getting your letters out to college coaches to invite them to see you at your upcoming November and December showcase events : CASL/Raleigh, National Elite, MAPS/MSSL Winter Showcases, Disney, Orange, Cocoa Beach, and others. Best wishes to all of our readers and student-athletes as the showcase season again resumes from now through June/July 2012.

My son is playing in a showcase next month, and we looked at the list and noticed no Ivies, but a lot of top D1 schools. Several Ivies are ranked around 25 in D1, and there are higher-ranked colleges sending coaches.

Do Ivy coaches avoid showcases, or do they only go to the big national ones? Can we send a letter out to the coach (he's a freshman) to express his interest and note where and when he is playing?

We'd be really interested if there is any way to do a "reverse lookup" and find out which showcases the colleges of my son's choice will be at. It could impact what team he plays for next year.

We also saw a few backup schools on the list, but are afraid to contact them this early if we feel the chances are slim for him to go there, if his grades hold up over the next few years. Is that wise to avoid contact, or might as well?

Thanks!

#454136 - 11/16/11 01:56 PM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2011-2012 [Re: rhrhrh]
BoardLord Offline
Back of THE NET

Originally Posted By: rhrhrh
My son is playing in a showcase next month, and we looked at the list and noticed no Ivies, but a lot of top D1 schools. Several Ivies are ranked around 25 in D1, and there are higher-ranked colleges sending coaches.
By ranking, you are clearly talking about soccer rankings among the NCAA Division I schools, not academic rankings which clearly for the Ivy League schools will be strong. Before you start the Ivy academic/athletic chase, you might want to be very sure about your son's academic standing first. A conversation with your son's guidance counselor would be a good place to start to get expectations in line. For example, if your son is not on an advanced placement (AP) or international baccalaureate (IB) track, chances will be hugely diminished of having Ivy league admission success.

While the Ivy colleges (and top institutions) can slightly lower expectations for a highly recruited player, the number of exemptions is very small (up to four per year is the maximal number we have heard at Yale for example meanwhile at Brown, we have been told that no exemptions are available). So, be sure that the academics (strong AP curriculum and board scores), activities, volunteerism/community work, and honors are all building during this process.

Do Ivy coaches avoid showcases, or do they only go to the big national ones? Can we send a letter out to the coach (he's a freshman) to express his interest and note where and when he is playing?
Ivy coaches will certainly attend showcases as the recruitment is done just like any other institution. BOTN always recommends contacting your target coaches during the freshman or sophomore years to establish a presence and get on the coach's radar. While the college coach will not be able to respond during a freshman campaign, that coach might well show up at a showcase event to see your son play. Both your family and your son will need to keep e-mailing without getting depressed about not hearing back - simply because return correspondance is not permitted as a freshman.

We'd be really interested if there is any way to do a "reverse lookup" and find out which showcases the colleges of my son's choice will be at. It could impact what team he plays for next year.
There is no easy reverse look-up tool available although goodness knows that it is a great suggestion. Solid ground work in reviewing where a particular school has been present in past years can form a pretty strong foundation as to where the coaches will be this year.

We also saw a few backup schools on the list, but are afraid to contact them this early if we feel the chances are slim for him to go there, if his grades hold up over the next few years. Is that wise to avoid contact, or might as well?
You should have a set of ten academic and ten athletic schools starting to form at this point. We have discussed this in several areas of the College Board. As a freshman, if the list is "more than ten" it is not a major problem, but there should be a listing to avoid your family chasing schools all over the map where there is no real interest. If these safety or expected schools are already in your established list, you should be absolutely contacting those schools and pursuing e-mail discussions. Often times, your target list will change over time based on new information you learn with regards to specific schools and programs. As a freshman, there is no reason to artificially constrain the search so early.

Thanks!
You are welcome! BOTN hopes that these suggestions help!

#454208 - 11/16/11 10:28 PM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2011-2012 [Re: BoardLord]
Anonymous
Unregistered

While the Ivy colleges (and top institutions) can slightly lower expectations for a highly recruited player, the number of exemptions is very small (up to four per year is the maximal number we have heard at Yale for example meanwhile at Brown, we have been told that no exemptions are available). So, be sure that the academics (strong AP curriculum and board scores), activities, volunteerism/community work, and honors are all building during this process.

If you are focused on the Ivies you need to understand the math behind the Academic Index (AI). There is a cut-off point with AI's (defined in the Ivy League charter) that no amount of athletic talent will allow you to overcome. It's heavily weighted to standardized testing, and it is applied to the totality of the school's athletic program. So even if you're the next Pele, if the school has used its low-end allocations up on a big money making sport (e.g. football or - don't laugh - crew) your chances are slim unless you have a high-end AI to balance the overall institutional pool. And, BTW there is a lot of horse-trading between sports over time.

Having said that, and having been there and done that ... if academics are not far more important than athletics, your kid will be utterly miserable at any of these schools.

#454218 - 11/16/11 11:48 PM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2011-2012 [Re: Anonymous]
rhrhrh Offline
Back of THE NET

Since he's a legacy at an Ivy, we know what he'll be dealing with academically, and he's already in the most advanced program at his HS (all honors no AP yet but is set to take five AP over the next few years). I think we'll start sending out letters now, and it looks like there is a residential summer soccer camp he can attend which the college of choice coaches run. I assume that is of course allowed, it is off-campus but they do note the coaches' affiliations. I hope it would not be weird, like the coach couldn't talk to him at all because he will be between freshman and sophomore years...

Looking at their previous recruited freshman classes, it will be tough to get in purely on soccer. There are more than a few national team players who go to Ivies. And we feel that things like out and out speed and fitness/stamina will matter a lot so he is doing track and working on fitness even though he is probably the most fit on his club and state team.

What is really confusing is that talking to admissions consultants from my college, they say that most athletes are recruited by early junior year, and commit verbally around January of junior year. The recruiting window is before students need to apply for early decision. If the coach can't contact the player in either freshman or sophomore year, how does the recruiting happen - just through scouting or is it whiz bang from June of sophomore year until January of junior year?

It's too bad that we can't at the same time look at trials for lower division English clubs, because it seems like if he really wants to pursue soccer, that might be a better path and college can wait. The college I work at has a lot of undergraduates in their 20's and older.

We're going to have a tough time picking other schools, as both parents couldn't afford to visit schools and only applied to three schools each. It seems nowadays kids have to apply to ten schools to guarantee a spot somewhere, especially if athletics are on the agenda. I have friends with older children who have visited 20 colleges in the space of three months.

#454240 - 11/17/11 08:58 AM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2011-2012 [Re: BoardLord]
BoardLord Offline
Back of THE NET

Originally posted on March 14th, 2009, BOTN thought that reviewing some of our rules covering the DOs and DON'Ts for your cover letters might be appropriate.

The introductory letter or cover letter on a player resume is that first impression that the young player can make on a possible coach. Let's take a look at some of the "do"s and "don't"s for that letter.

[1] DO NOT address the letter as "Dear Coach", "Coach", "Sir/Mam", or a popular salutation with young people, "Hey". Address the coach by his/her surname as in "Dear Coach Smith", "Mrs. Jones", or "Dr. Roberts". The surest way to make your introductory letter seem like a form letter is to have a generic salutation.

[2] When writing, DO NOT construct the letter as if it was intended for your "BFF on IM or Facebook". DO spell every word out completely, use a spell or grammar checker, and proofread your writing. DO ask a parent, teacher, or trusted adult to reread your final draft. Schools that expect a 550+ on the SAT Critical Reading section are not looking for incorrect usage of to/too, there/their/they're, its/it's, and so forth.

[3] In the opening paragraph, DO include your name, high school, academic interests, soccer interests/awards, and one sentence telling the coach why you are writing to him/her. DO actually name the target college in the opening paragraph to show that each letter is unique and targetted.

[4] The second paragraph should provide a four to five sentence summary of your interest in the college or university. DO make it clear that you have done your research and know something about the school. Use the school nickname, the league or conference in which the school participates or their home field/stadium name. DO know something about the roster (boys/girls from New York or the region), individuals you might know who could give you a positive reference that are on the team, or information about the team's regular season. DO include a possible non-soccer point as to why the school is on your target list.

[5] In paragraph three, DO really show how you want to attend the program, play for the coach and school, and why your profile might be a match to the school. Include a summary of your resume in a couple of sentence to entice the coach to learn more.

[6] The closing paragraph should be open ended, perhaps by asking some simple questions. "Would it be convenient for me to contact you next week to schedule a visit?" "Please let me know if you can attend any of my next three Spring showcases." "Can I have my club coach call you to arrange an additional discussion about my fit with your program?"

[7] The closing salutation should include your name, address, home phone number, and e-mail address. You can attach your profile to the e-mail in order to give more background on yourself.

Hopefully, these seven simple steps will get your son or daughter started on the right foot with their letter writing campaign.

#454287 - 11/17/11 12:07 PM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2011-2012 [Re: BoardLord]
rhrhrh Offline
Back of THE NET

That's great advice on the letter, but how would you change it for freshmen? Can you say "look forward to hearing from you" if they aren't allowed to contact for a year?

#454435 - 11/18/11 11:09 AM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2011-2012 [Re: rhrhrh]
BoardLord Offline
Back of THE NET

That's great advice on the letter, but how would you change it for freshmen? Can you say "look forward to hearing from you" if they aren't allowed to contact for a year?
For a freshman year High School player, clearly point [2] and [6] from our BOTN template will need to be slightly changed.

Your grade point average (GPA) will only be of interest to a college coach if it reflects high school work, demonstrating progress on the NCAA Academic Clearing House points. Also, it is highly unlikely that a freshman student will have seen a PSAT/NMSQT or PLAN exam as yet, much less the SAT or ACT. Hence, just provide indicative grades if you are an "A" student.

Instead of closing with an open ended question, a fine approach would be to close with an invitation to the coach. One example might be "I look forward to playing for you at the ABC Tournament in November and the XYZ Tournament in December". Another example might be, "Since my premier team expects to be playing in the New England area in the Spring, I will certainly keep you up to date on my premier schedule in addition to upcoming tournaments".

Both sentences lead the reader (the college coach) into knowing that there will be additional follow-up from your side and that your interest remains strong.

#454532 - 11/19/11 08:41 AM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2011-2012 [Re: BoardLord]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Villanova.

Add University of Pittsburgh to the list. It seems the head coach left and the assistant made some commitments and now he is out. No staff there currently. Not known if the admin will stand behind the promises.

Edited by BoardLord (11/20/11 12:50 AM)
Edit Reason: Corrected Quote Format

#454536 - 11/19/11 09:20 AM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2011-2012 [Re: Anonymous]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Villanova.

Add University of Pittsburgh to the list. It seems the head coach left and the assistant made some commitments and now he is out. No staff there currently. Not known if the admin will stand behind the promises.

Sorry, I put this in the wrong spot.

Girls who committed there should check their status with the AD.

Page 5 of 18 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 17 18 >

Moderator:  Arielle 
Coleman Country
Tournaments

Summer Tournaments
Oceanside SC Labor Day
EMSC Summer
WBSC ASA Labor Day
RYSA Wildcats Labor Day
Fall & Columbus Weekend
MAPS Fall Challenge
East Islip Fall Classic
Northport SC
Fall EDP Cup
Parsippany Pride
RVSC College Showcase
Winter Indoor
Coleman Country
Sports Underdome
Sponsors

Globall Sports Centers
Soccer Leagues
Soccer Tournaments
Training Clinics
Birthday Parties
Field Rentals
LI Rough Riders
Training Program
Soccer Camps
Jr. Rough Riders
Rough Riders Select
Men's & Women's Tickets
SUSA Bubble Lindenhurst
Youth Leagues
Tournaments
Adult Leagues
Training & Academy Programs
Field Rentals
Summer League
Soccer Coliseum
Tournaments
Training
Youth Leagues
Adult Leagues
Premier Soccer Academy
Tournaments
Youth Academy ID Camps
Camps
Coaching Services
Kickiní Kiddie Program
House of Sports
Soccer Clinics
Team Tryouts
Leagues
Tournaments
Athletic Republic
Who's Online
3 registered (CJ Orlando, Larry Miller, ZiggyRowe), 650 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Boys NPL Listing
Brentwood | Bklyn Italians | Everton Amer. | Eastern FC | East Meadow SC | Massapequa | STA Soccer | NY Elite | HOTA | Parsippany SC | Princeton SC | Soccer Plus Acad. |

Click Here!

Copyright (c) Back of THE NET 1993 - 2014