FALL Leagues Scores: | NPL | NYCSL | NYPL | JSS | NY (State) Cup | WYSL |
| CJSL | LIJSL | EDP | Challenge Cup | NCSA | Staten Island | ENYPL |

ANY REFS LOOKING TO SHED A FEW POUNDS AFTER YESTERDAY......WE STILL NEED HELP WITH GAMES. PLEASE EMAIL ME AT SOCCERDALE1234@aol.com or call 516-313-7451. Thanks! Brian ... NYCSL (U9 and older) Spring Registration is now open for teams who did not play in the Fall 2014 NYCSL League. All teams who played in the Fall 2014 League, will be re registered by the club ... JSS Sping (U7 & U8) Spring Registration is now open for teams who did not play in the Fall 2014 JSS League. All teams who played in the Fall 2014 League, will be re registered by the club....

Subscribe to BOTN
BOTN Electronic Alerts
Nobody Does It Better
NYCSL NYPL NPL JSS

NYCSL & JSS Schedules, Scores & Standings
| NYCSL | NYPL | NPL |
NY (State) Cup | JSS |
LIJSL Scores & Standings
Fall '14 Scores & Standings

Spring '14 Sportsmanship
Fall '14 Schedule
Spring '15 Schedule
R1 Championships League
Division 1
Division 2
Division 3
National League
2014-2015 ENY (State) Cup
Challenge Cup U10-U12
Challenge Cup U13-U19
Open Cup
Soccer Toons
Driving to a tournament
New Jersey Leagues
Northern Counties | CJYSA | JAGS | Morris County | Metro | Jersey Coast | Monmouth Ocean | Mid-Jersey | South Jersey | South Jersey Girls |
ECNL
ECNL Standings
EDP Fall 2014
Brackets
Schedules
NSCAA HS & College Rankings
Premier Soccer Academy
Tournaments
Youth Academy ID Camps
Camps
Coaching Services
Kickin’ Kiddie Program
USSF Academies
USSF Academy Schedules
US Soccer
Girls NPL Listing
Brentwood | ISA | Massapequa | Manhattan SC | STA | NYSC | NJ Crush | NY Rush | Quickstrike FC |
Latest Tryout Posts
looking for team, winter indoor
by S4e7w9
Today at 01:59 PM
BU-14 Dix Hills Crush - Open Practices
by Dix Hills Crush
11/26/14 06:59 PM
BU-14 East Islip Fusion Building our team
by BrianPlatt
11/26/14 05:44 PM
Newest Members
S4e7w9, Anonymous LINY, monte1270, Nilson Fuentes, Stacy O
13365 Registered Users
Who's Online
4 registered (TCarlson, GaryV, Larry Miller, soccerdale1234), 755 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Boys NPL Listing
Brentwood | Bklyn Italians | Everton Amer. | Eastern FC | East Meadow SC | Massapequa | STA Soccer | NY Elite | HOTA | Parsippany SC | Princeton SC | Soccer Plus Acad. |
BOTN Photo Gallery
Levittown Early 1950's
Page 1 of 46 1 2 3 ... 45 46 >
New Reply
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#452752 - 11/08/11 04:56 PM The Cosmos Academy, And The Blau-Weiss Gottschee Lawsuit
Larry Miller Online   happy
Chief Rocker
Back of THE NET

Loc: Greenwich Village
The Cosmos Academy, And The Blau-Weiss Gottschee Lawsuit: A Bad Start For Sela Sport

Reported by Footblog

For the past year, the New York Cosmos have been the loudest and proudest name in American soccer. Yet they cowered in stunned silence as the events of last month unfolded, allowing wild speculation by both professional and social media outlets to redefine their resurrected brand. As a more disciplined writer might say, they went from heroes to zeros.

In the wake of the latest news about the Cosmos, namely a lawsuit filed by Blau-Weiss Gottschee, it would be easy to jump on the bandwagon and declare them the Carlos Tevez of soccer clubs. But, as is often the case, things aren’t always what they seem. They may be down, but they are definitely not out. And while I wanted to wait until later this week, for reasons which will become apparent as you read on, I felt compelled to post this story now, in hopes of offering some clarity to the murky waters that threaten to engulf the Cosmos.

But before I get into the heart of the aforementioned lawsuit, let’s begin with a quick recap. Because unless you have been following the saga here on Total Footblog, you may not know the full story.

Ugly October
October 2011 was not a good month for the New York Cosmos. It began with rumors about the departure of their Chairman & CEO. That was followed by nearly a month of silence. Which wouldn’t have been so bad, if it weren’t for social networking.

The Cosmos had established an aggressive presence on Facebook and Twitter. And failing to adequately address these rumors turned their social media platforms into a magnet for virulent attacks, wild speculation, and questions from fans left ignored. Things got ugly.

Knowing the Cosmos communications team, I can only assume that their management – new and/or old – have kept them silent throughout this whole debacle. But in the digital age, it seems one can no longer “put a lid on things.” In the wake of the public speculation about the club’s fate, it looked as if much of the goodwill the Cosmos had built with fans over the past year went up in flames thanks to unaddressed media reports followed by a few weeks of social network silence.

Then came the anticipated announcement, on Oct. 26, 2011, confirming that the Cosmos Chairman & CEO had indeed departed, along with one other board member. Still no verification about a buyout from Sela Sport, which apparently had been leaked to Jack Bell at The New York Times – just as the original story had been a month earlier – and perhaps others.

A week later came a second announcement. This time it was about additional departures from the Cosmos management team, including another board member, the executive director, and the chief marketing officer. Yet still no word on Sela Sport, or who actually controlled the club. The news was dire, and details were scarce. But compared to the information vacuum of October, the fact that the Cosmos appeared to be breathing again came as welcome news to some fans. Things could only get better, right?

Nasty November?
Last night, Nov. 7, 2011, I had the privilege of attending a meeting between the management of BW Gottschee and the parents of kids in the Cosmos Academy. Held at the local Inter Milan Club in Queens, New York, the meeting was run by Gottschee’s Youth Academy Director of Coaching Paul McGlynn. The Cosmos Academy Director Giovanni Savarese was there representing the Cosmos and actively participated in the meeting.

In addition to Cosmos Academy parents, representatives of the Borough Boys – the New York Cosmos Supporters Club – also attended the meeting. As did myself and Cesar Diaz, another journalist who has been closely covering the Cosmos.

The Cosmos Academy Deal
On July 21, 2010, the New York Cosmos signed a five-year deal with Gottschee, which was arguably the city’s top pay-for-play youth soccer program. Through this sponsorship deal, the Cosmos would provide funding to brand and enhance Gottschee’s elite youth soccer academy, which had become part of the US Soccer Development Academy program. As such, it was free to the kids who were talented enough to make the teams and featured a top-level coaching staff. Gottschee continued to run a more traditional pay-for-play pre-academy program for younger kids and those not yet ready to compete at the academy level, which was now known as BWG Cosmos (more information on the Cosmos Academy and the US Development Academy program can be found in this earlier story).

For their end of the deal, the Cosmos agreed to pay $500,000 annually, half on the first of August and the balance on the first of January, an obligation they met without incident during the first year. This did not necessarily include all out-of-pocket expenses, and the contract stipulated that the Cosmos would pay for “additional amounts as budgeted and agreed to by both parties,” with a plan and budget being presented well in advance of the start of each season.

The start of the new season, Aug. 1, 2011, came and went without any payment from the Cosmos. Following a phone conversation that day in which the Cosmos promised to pay, and then an email on Aug. 30 which also promised full payment, Gottschee received a check on Aug. 31, 2011 for $24,056.67 – less than 10 percent of the amount owed. Strapped for cash, Gottschee reluctantly accepted the payment and notified the Cosmos – in writing – that they were in breach of contract.

The Cosmos explained that they were undergoing a protracted buyout and continued to reassure Gottschee that they would fulfill their financial obligation to the program – and the kids. After another email on Sept. 8 promised the balance of the funds, a second check for $25,000 was issued on Sept. 26, 2011, along with additional promises that the rest would come shortly.

Under terms of the contract, the Cosmos still owe Gottschee $210,000 and change. The $200,000 is what remains on the Aug. 1, 2011 payment, minus the $50,000 paid so far. Another $10,000 is owed as the result of approved expenditures undertaken by Gottschee on behalf of the Cosmos Academy. This payment was for the use of an indoor training facility last winter, and – according to Gottschee – the Cosmos agreed to reimburse them for it.

To keep the Cosmos Academy afloat, Gottschee has had to tap its financial reserves, which the non-profit has slowly amassed over its 60-year history. However, as of Oct. 1, 2011, it could no longer afford to pay the coaches in the Cosmos Academy. And despite more promises from the Cosmos on Oct. 18 and Nov. 1, the balance due remains unpaid. So on Nov. 3, 2011, Gottschee felt obligated to file suit against the New York Cosmos (for breach of contract) to protect itself, the program, and the kids.

Despite this legal action, there doesn’t appear to be any bad blood between the two sides. In fact, as I mentioned, Savarese, representing the Cosmos, sat side-by-side with Gottschee’s McGlynn as they met with Academy parents on Nov. 7. Savarese even read a statement from the Cosmos, which said that they regretted the situation and are meeting with Sela Sport – who have finally been confirmed as the club’s new owners – in London on Wednesday, Nov. 9, 2011 to sort things out.

The parents of the kids in the Cosmos Academy were very understanding. McGlynn explained that if the situation isn’t resolved, the academy might have to revert to a pay-for-play program. Gottschee can no longer sustain it without the funds owed by the Cosmos. The fear now is that they will lose coaches – who have stopped getting paid – as well as players – who might opt to jump ship to other local youth soccer programs that follow the US Development Academy model.

The Danger of Defections
In fact, this is how this story first came to my attention. On Thursday, Nov. 3, 2011, I heard about a kid who showed up to a Manhattan Soccer Club practice. He said that the Cosmos were reducing their rosters, so he wanted to tryout for another team. Two days later, I received another report of a kid trying out at Downtown United Soccer Club for the same reason.

Perhaps it was the same kid making the rounds, so I didn’t put too much stock in it. However, I did check with parents I know in both BWG Cosmos and the Cosmos Academy, and – at the time – none of them had heard about any roster reductions.

Then I learned about the lawsuit and the meeting scheduled with Cosmos Academy parents. Incidentally, McGlynn and the folks at Gottschee have demonstrated why they have always been a first-rate organization. A clear communication was issued to parents informing them of the issue:

“As you are all probably aware, since just over a year ago our club, BW Gottschee, has had a sponsorship agreement with the New York Cosmos (‘NY Cosmos’). In it, the NY Cosmos provide a certain level of funding in exchange for naming rights to call our Academy teams ‘New York Cosmos Academy.’ Additionally, the organizations agreed to work together to try and create a soccer program that would potentially facilitate the establishment of a professional team in the metropolitan area.

The agreement is based on yearly funding which was paid in full last year. This year, due to an internal reorganization at the NY Cosmos, funding has been limited and full payment is still pending and as a result has put an un-foreseen burden on the club and raised the possibility that we will have to revert to operational methods that existed prior to the Gottschee-Cosmos agreement. The NY Cosmos have indicated that the funding is due to come through within days and it is our sincere hope that it will; however, we felt it necessary to inform you all of the situation in the event we have to transition back to a ‘pay to play’ scenario. We will share further information as soon as it comes available.”

On top of that, McGlynn and the Gottschee staff chose to meet with the parents of each age group to explain the situation in person, allow Savarese to share the Cosmos perspective, and answer any questions they could. It’s a shame the Cosmos organization hasn’t been nearly as forthcoming through all of this.

The Heart of the Problem
Having a soft spot for the Cosmos, and hoping to see a Major League Soccer (MLS) franchise playing in New York City some day, I’d like to be able to say that “what we’ve got here is a failure to communicate.” According to the Cosmos, the new owners – Sela Sport – definitely have the money. And they verbally committed to them that they want to retain the academy program. In other words, they can pay, they said they will pay, but they haven’t got around to paying yet.

In fairness, the Sela Sport acquisition dragged on much longer than anticipated, and wasn’t actually finalized until Monday, Oct. 31, 2011. According to the Cosmos, Terry Byrne will be travelling to London to meet with representatives of Sela Sport this week and the money for the Cosmos Academy is at the top of his list.

However, it is troubling that, after such a protracted acquisition, Sela Sport apparently remains unaware of or indifferent to this financial obligation to Gottschee and the Cosmos Academy. When reviewing the books for the buyout, it is hard to believe that Seal Sport somehow overlooked a five-year contract or an item on the expense sheet for $500,000 annually. How could they have not anticipated this and planned for it?

Equally troubling was the news from the Cosmos that Terry Byrne is only the interim head of the New York Cosmos. Part of the problem is that Sela Sport apparently has yet to name someone to run the club now that they have cleaned house. Yet they’ve had plenty of time to think about a suitable replacement while negotiations for the buyout dragged on.

Though already an unpleasent hallmark of the revived Cosmos organization, this lack of preparation and attention to detail is very troubling for those who hope to see the club ultimately succeed as an MLS franchise. And an apparent reluctance to communicate with key constituents – again, another unfortunate hallmark of the new Cosmos – remains equally frustrating for fans and semi-coherent journalists alike.

The Light at the End of the Tunnel
As I had reported earlier, the good news for Cosmos fans – and the kids in the Cosmos Academy – is that it would be foolish of Sela Sport to increase their investment in the club if they did not fully intend to pursue an MLS franchise with renewed commitment and deep pockets. No one buys a sinking ship. And if the Cosmos were indeed going under, surely Sela Sport would have let Kemsley and his crew go down with the ship.

Of course you don’t acquire a company and ignore its contracts, either. Nor do you clean house without having a replacement waiting in the wings, ready to take the helm. So far, in their relatively brief tenure as owners of the New York Cosmos, Sela Sport haven’t exactly acted rationally.

According to the Cosmos, Sela Sport have committed to continuing the Cosmos Academy. But then the Cosmos have also been saying that it’s been business as usual for the past month. And they have been promising Gottschee that the check is in the mail for the past three months.

Is this simply a case of bad timing? Have the Cosmos finances been frozen during this buyout deal, making it impossible to cut a check for the Cosmos Academy sponsorship payment until now?

One theory, which I suggested in an earlier story, is that Sela Sport may be holding off on any announcements concerning staffing (and perhaps, although unwisely, on cutting any checks as well) because they are trying to broker a merger with other local bidders for a New York City-based MLS franchise. Presumably part of that deal would be putting one of these other executives in charge of the Cosmos brand, offering MLS and the City a fresh face, new approach, and deeper pockets in an effort to secure a stadium and franchise.

My hope is that we’ll find out shortly. Byrne is meeting with Sela Sport tomorrow, Nov. 9, 2011, with the intent of sorting it all out. But whether or not that will result in payment remains to be seen. And while the Cosmos seem to have adopted a “mum’s the word” approach to all of this, fortunately Gottschee has demonstrated a willingness to keep their constituents informed, and we will do our best to keep you up-to-date as well.

The good news is that the Cosmos have confirmed that representatives of Sela Sport have already met with MLS Commissioner Don Garber. That’s certainly a step in the right direction, though meeting with the fans of the Cosmos would work wonders as well. Not to mention paying their bills.

Top Reply Quote Quick Reply Quick Quote
Junior Soccer Advertisements

Click Here!

#452777 - 11/08/11 09:40 PM Re: The Cosmos Academy, And The Blau-Weiss Gottschee Lawsuit [Re: Larry Miller]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sela meets with Garber but not BWG. [****]
They owe 210,000 pay your f.ing obligations and don't play around with kids as pawns just to get your MLS team. The bad publicity they will get will not be worth the 210kp

#452796 - 11/09/11 07:29 AM Re: The Cosmos Academy, And The Blau-Weiss Gottschee Lawsuit [Re: Anonymous]
Chief Rocker
Back of THE NET

Originally Posted By: Anonymous
Sela meets with Garber but not BWG. [****]
They owe 210,000 pay your f.ing obligations and don't play around with kids as pawns just to get your MLS team. The bad publicity they will get will not be worth the 210kp

I do not think their actions vis-a-vis BW will have any negative impact publicity wise on Sela. They may piss off some parents and the club, but in the big picture it will not have a negative effect UNLESS Gotschee knows how to, and has the balls to deal with this issue, and I don't think they have the necessary tools do the job.

That said, I can clearly see how they could create some serious havoc. I know what I would do cool

I also think that BW has not started off on the right foot with Sela serving them with papers, although they probably didn't have a choice. Catch-22 anyone?

#452798 - 11/09/11 07:54 AM Re: The Cosmos Academy, And The Blau-Weiss Gottschee Lawsuit [Re: Larry Miller]
Anonymous
Unregistered

What would you do? Obviously this is David vs Goliath and it would be nice for once to see the victim come out on top.

#452799 - 11/09/11 08:04 AM Re: The Cosmos Academy, And The Blau-Weiss Gottschee Lawsuit [Re: Larry Miller]
Anonymous
Unregistered

The fact that they are screwing around with a 200K payment that is already 3 months late doesn't bode well for their MLS aspirations.

If they really can afford the reported $100,000,000 MLS entry fee and another few hundred million to build a stadium, the 200K they owe to Gotschee should be pocket change, and should have been paid as soon as the transfer of ownership of the Cosmos was completed.

#452800 - 11/09/11 08:13 AM Re: The Cosmos Academy, And The Blau-Weiss Gottschee Lawsuit [Re: Anonymous]
Chief Rocker
Back of THE NET

The fact that they are screwing around with a 200K payment that is already 3 months late doesn't bode well for their MLS aspirations.

If they really can afford the reported $100,000,000 MLS entry fee and another few hundred million to build a stadium, the 200K they owe to Gotschee should be pocket change, and should have been paid as soon as the transfer of ownership of the Cosmos was completed.

The issue with BWG will have no effect on their dealings with the MLS. As far as their building a stadium, where do you see them building one? The target area is Queens.

#452817 - 11/09/11 10:08 AM Re: The Cosmos Academy, And The Blau-Weiss Gottschee Lawsuit [Re: Larry Miller]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Most likely in the Flushing Meadows area - next to Citifield or in that vicinity. Or maybe College Point area. My bet near Citifield - good accessibility all around.

#452818 - 11/09/11 10:13 AM Re: The Cosmos Academy, And The Blau-Weiss Gottschee Lawsuit [Re: Anonymous]
Chief Rocker
Back of THE NET

Most likely in the Flushing Meadows area - next to Citifield or in that vicinity. Or maybe College Point area. My bet near Citifield - good accessibility all around.

You are on the right path, however it would have to be on the other side of the Van Wyck, but I believe that open space is controlled by LaGuardia airport and a building depending on height may violate air space...but you are correct, it would have there or nowhere else in Queens.

#452819 - 11/09/11 10:30 AM Re: The Cosmos Academy, And The Blau-Weiss Gottschee Lawsuit [Re: Larry Miller]
Anonymous
Unregistered

There is an eight hour time difference. I tried to call them and was not able to leave message.

FYI there # is: 011-966-2-662-6288
Their CEO is Ahmed Al Mohtaseb.

Call them and find out what the delay is.
Message in Arab and English

#452835 - 11/09/11 01:46 PM Re: The Cosmos Academy, And The Blau-Weiss Gottschee Lawsuit [Re: Anonymous]
Anonymous
Unregistered

I know who Savarese and Byrne are, I also looked up Sela but who is McGlynn ? Is the attorney for BWG

#452838 - 11/09/11 01:59 PM Re: The Cosmos Academy, And The Blau-Weiss Gottschee Lawsuit [Re: Anonymous]
Anonymous
Unregistered

BWG youth director. Good person. Hope this works out for them.

#452861 - 11/09/11 05:39 PM Re: The Cosmos Academy, And The Blau-Weiss Gottschee Lawsuit [Re: Anonymous]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Mcglynn is that super good looking guy.'
You would know him if you see him

#452913 - 11/09/11 10:23 PM Re: The Cosmos Academy, And The Blau-Weiss Gottschee Lawsuit [Re: Anonymous]
Chief Rocker
Back of THE NET

According to an email, players will be required to pay fees for coach’s expenses and training facilities. The amount is expected to be in the range of $1,700, which would be payable in two installments.

According to the email, players will also be responsible to pay for all travel expenses and training facilities associated with the Academy. That includes trips to league games, showcase, and other events. That could range from $2,000 to $2,500, according to the email.

#452918 - 11/09/11 10:44 PM Re: The Cosmos Academy, And The Blau-Weiss Gottschee Lawsuit [Re: Anonymous]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Mcglynn has no soccer experience at all coaching or playing. The Cosmos would have to be NUTS to give this guy $500,000.00 a year! I would love to know how much of that money ends up in his pocket and how much goes to the kids. Gottchee does not have the same reputation it did 10 years ago. They are the same as every other club now just more expensive

#452924 - 11/09/11 11:13 PM Re: The Cosmos Academy, And The Blau-Weiss Gottschee Lawsuit [Re: Anonymous]
Anonymous
Unregistered

You have no idea what you are talking about. The money is for the kids to be free. You are way off topic. For the record he was a fine player and excellent coach and assists all the youth coaches at the club. The kids are the victims here and hopefully the cosmos will right their wrong. Why not focus your dribble on Mr Saverse and the Big shots in Saudi Arabia?

Page 1 of 46 1 2 3 ... 45 46 >
Quick Reply:
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled

Moderator:  Arielle, Larry Miller, ZiggyRowe 
Coastal Soccer
House of Sports
Xtreme Goalkeeping
Team X-Plosion
The Soccer Palace
Fall Tournaments