FALL Leagues Scores: | NPL | NYCSL | NYPL | JSS | NY (State) Cup | WYSL |
| CJSL | LIJSL | EDP | Challenge Cup | NCSA | Staten Island | ENYPL |

1. It's not too late to get involved in the Holiday's ONLY true charity tournament, THE FARMINGDALE TURKEY BOWL. Click here for all the information to help out needy families
  2. Globall Sports Centers still has a few spots open for their Thanksgiving weekend tournaments – One team is needed in the following age groups, BU8, BU9, BU11, & GU14. If you are interested, please contact Mike at 516-622-3900 or mvstrien@globallsportscenters.com
  3. NYCSL (U9 and older) Spring Registration is now open for teams who did not play in the Fall 2014 NYCSL League. All teams who played in the Fall 2014 League, will be re registered by the club
  4. JSS Sping (U7 & U8) Spring Registration is now open for teams who did not play in the Fall 2014 JSS League. All teams who played in the Fall 2014 League, will be re registered by the club

A happy and safe Thanksgiving to everyone from the BOTN family....

Subscribe to BOTN
BOTN Electronic Alerts
Nobody Does It Better
NYCSL NYPL NPL JSS

NYCSL & JSS Schedules, Scores & Standings
| NYCSL | NYPL | NPL |
NY (State) Cup | JSS |
LIJSL Scores & Standings
Fall '14 Scores & Standings

Spring '14 Sportsmanship
Fall '14 Schedule
Spring '15 Schedule
R1 Championships League
Division 1
Division 2
Division 3
National League
2014-2015 ENY (State) Cup
Challenge Cup U10-U12
Challenge Cup U13-U19
Open Cup
Soccer Toons
Driving to a tournament
New Jersey Leagues
Northern Counties | CJYSA | JAGS | Morris County | Metro | Jersey Coast | Monmouth Ocean | Mid-Jersey | South Jersey | South Jersey Girls |
ECNL
ECNL Standings
EDP Fall 2014
Brackets
Schedules
NSCAA HS & College Rankings
Premier Soccer Academy
Tournaments
Youth Academy ID Camps
Camps
Coaching Services
Kickin’ Kiddie Program
USSF Academies
USSF Academy Schedules
US Soccer
Girls NPL Listing
Brentwood | ISA | Massapequa | Manhattan SC | STA | NYSC | NJ Crush | NY Rush | Quickstrike FC |
Latest Tryout Posts
BU-14 Dix Hills Crush - Open Practices
by Dix Hills Crush
Yesterday at 06:59 PM
BU-14 East Islip Fusion Building our team
by BrianPlatt
Yesterday at 05:44 PM
D1 White Plains United04 are Looking to add more players
by MarcosSoto
Yesterday at 12:33 PM
Newest Members
Anonymous LINY, monte1270, Nilson Fuentes, Stacy O, chagen91
13364 Registered Users
Who's Online
1 registered (Larry Miller), 426 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Boys NPL Listing
Brentwood | Bklyn Italians | Everton Amer. | Eastern FC | East Meadow SC | Massapequa | STA Soccer | NY Elite | HOTA | Parsippany SC | Princeton SC | Soccer Plus Acad. |
BOTN Photo Gallery
Levittown Early 1950's
Page 8 of 10 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#432460 - 05/02/11 09:12 PM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2010-2011 [Re: BoardLord]
BoardLord Offline
Back of THE NET

Loc: Not Possum Gulch, Arizona
Reminder to our readers : Remember that the end-May Memorial Day showcases are quickly coming into focus. Be sure to get those college coach invitations and team/player profiles updated, printed, and distributed for your next showcase events.

Be sure to review our Communications Thread and in particular, review the "do's and don'ts" of constructing your college contacts.

Junior Soccer Advertisements

Click Here!

#432755 - 05/06/11 12:53 AM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2010-2011 [Re: Anonymous]
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have a question. How important are the showcase tournaments now if my daughter is entering 11th grade in Sept? I just got an e-mail from New Hampshire Univ. They recruited 6 new girls this year. They gave us their backgrounds and all they mentioned were their high school accomplishments. Not once did they mention club ball.Does it matter if you play for a region 1 team or Nerp team? Does Div. 2 give out scholarships?I know it is quite a few questions but I hope you can help me. Thanks.

#432814 - 05/06/11 06:33 PM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2010-2011 [Re: Anonymous]
BoardLord Offline
Back of THE NET

Originally Posted By: Anonymous
I have a question. How important are the showcase tournaments now if my daughter is entering 11th grade in Sept?
First, thank you for joining the conversation here on the College Forum. Most students will begin their showcasing in the U/16 season with some preliminary groundwork done at the U/15 season on a team level to lay a solid foundation of league and tournament records. If your daughter is an older (August to November) child on her club team, she will be entering the start of the true recruiting cycle with the whole team at U/16.

In soccer, showcase tournaments are where invited coaches come to see players in game situations. The BOTC College Forum's Communications : Profiles, Letters, Contacts would be a great starting point to answer some basic questions regarding showcase preparation.

I just got an e-mail from New Hampshire Univ. They recruited 6 new girls this year. They gave us their backgrounds and all they mentioned were their high school accomplishments.
Most universities will discuss their players' academic backgrounds (high school details including sports) and only some will discuss premier or club team activities. Some will add a line about the premier team if that team achieved some specific level of play (Region One Premier, Northeast Regional, or State Cup Champion, Finalist or SemiFinalist).

Not once did they mention club ball.Does it matter if you play for a region 1 team or Nerp team?
It "matters" potentially based on the level of showcase events to which your team will be accepted. Clearly, Region One Premier League teams will be more desirable for a showcase organizer to accept than Northeast or Colonial League teams although all teams at this level will generally find some successful entries at the top showcase levels.

Once you reach to the President's League and levels below, top showcases are generally filled before teams in these leagues are chosen for admission. That said, there are midtier showcases throughout the region that cater for exactly this type of player/team.

Remember the key question is not so much the level of the showcase, but rather the coaches attending relative to the university interests of all the players on that team.

Does Div. 2 give out scholarships?I know it is quite a few questions but I hope you can help me. Thanks.
A fully funded Division I program will have more scholarship spots to allocate than a fully funded Division II program.

NCAA D1 Sport ...... Men's Women's
Soccer ............. 9.9 / 12.0

NCAA D2 Sport ...... Men's Women's
Soccer ............. 9.0 / 9.9

For more details, please consult the NCAA Rules and Regulations thread.

BOTN Industries hopes that this was a useful set of answers to get your college showcasing activities started.

#432842 - 05/07/11 10:19 AM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2010-2011 [Re: BoardLord]
Anonymous
Unregistered

how do you know what programs are fully funded?

#432848 - 05/07/11 10:34 AM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2010-2011 [Re: Anonymous]
Anonymous
Unregistered

how do you know what programs are fully funded?

You ask

#432855 - 05/07/11 01:19 PM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2010-2011 [Re: Anonymous]
Anonymous
Unregistered

thanks for nothing

so when you are choosing schools there is no way to know if they are funded hence you can waste a lot of time with them?

#432858 - 05/07/11 01:59 PM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2010-2011 [Re: Anonymous]
BoardLord Offline
Back of THE NET

thanks for nothing

so when you are choosing schools there is no way to know if they are funded hence you can waste a lot of time with them?
In many ways, the poster who responded "You ask" is giving you the correct advice. There are no metrics published by colleges of which we are aware that shows the number of scholarships that are offered per sport per school year. Surely the NCAA must have data reflecting this as a matter of compliance however, BOTN Industries does not have access to such information.

Again, we point you to the Communications thread that we mentioned in our previous post. In that chain, you will see a posting entitled "How to Ask the Tough Questions to a College Coach". The information is reproduced below. As with many such questions, BOTN Industries usually has the answers prepared for our parent readers.

Originally Posted By: BoardLord
How to Ask the Tough Questions to a College Coach

This is one topic with which many parents (and some club coaches) struggle when it comes time to seal the deal for a potential collegiate opportunity. Remember the ground rules where athletic money from a coach and/or athletic director is only available for NCAA Division I and Division II schools. All NCAA coaches can help with placement of your application for academic and grant money from your chosen university or college. Additionally, they should be willing to help you connect with your institution’s financial aid office so that you can receive an early indication of what your family can expect to be paying to attend and play for the school.

The questions to ask boil down to three simple themes : What is the whole picture for my son/daughter's class, how many total scholarships will be available, and where your son/daughter ranks on the coach's depth chart.

As for questions to open the discussion, the easiest question BOTN Industries has found as an ice-breaker is typically, “What does your funding look like for the Class of 201x recruits?” Let’s spend some time going over what a sample exchange might be and some follow-up questions for the newbie parent or coach.

The college coach will likely respond with an initial answer such as “Well, we have three graduating seniors and one junior who we do not think is returning next season due to her major.” This is your opportunity to narrow down on the number of scholarships available so you might want to ask “Is the program fully funded for next season and how many scholarships will be available?” The fully funded question is important as it tells you how many scholarships across the team are awarded. The second half of this question narrows the discussion to what is the pool for your child and what the coach might have already committed to other players.

The coach might respond with “We have 3.5 scholarships coming free but we will use 0.75 of those to cap off three rising juniors who are expected to be starters for next season.” As with most schools, all of the money becoming available is not plowed directly back into the freshman class as awards for existing roster players might be increased during their collegiate careers.

So, you now know that 2.75 scholarships are available and you should know how many freshman recruits are coming into the class along with your son or daughter. Now is the time to ask the ultimate question. “Based on the recruiting class, where do you see my son/daughter in the scholarship pool?”

Say there are eight incoming recruits with 2.75 scholarships available. Anything between 0.25 (25% for a more average player, limited playing time first year) and 0.50 (50%, significant minutes expected at some point during season) would be a reasonable offers. Once the discussion starts narrowing down these numbers, you can move into academic awards (perhaps another 25% to 50% of tuition for excellent grades or SAT/ACT results) and financial aid for the family.

As for the side questions, most coaches will guarantee a scholarship for the year that a player is injured, but more than a year might be difficult. All agreements and discussions should be captured in writing, via e-mails with the coach, to be sure that there are no misunderstandings between the parties. Remember that there is no such thing as a "four year ride" and each year, the player's contract is "renewed" and reviewed with the institution.

In closing, let us offer this thought : most Division I schools (outside of the Patriot and Ivy Leagues) have funding at various levels. (Even the Patriot League has started offering money in soccer for top recruits.) You can assume that a coach coming to recruit your son or daughter has a level of funding available which warrants their recruiting players at a recognized showcase event.

#432872 - 05/07/11 06:14 PM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2010-2011 [Re: BoardLord]
Anonymous
Unregistered

How can you determine which are the best college soccer camps to attend to get the most college coach exposure? With alot of colleges running soccer camps, which ones are the best for recruitment into a womens college soccer program?

#432875 - 05/07/11 07:00 PM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2010-2011 [Re: Anonymous]
BoardLord Offline
Back of THE NET

How can you determine which are the best college soccer camps to attend to get the most college coach exposure? With alot of colleges running soccer camps, which ones are the best for recruitment into a womens college soccer program?
An often asked question that reverses the "cause and effect". The first question to ask is not what camps have the most exposure. Why attend a camp with coaches from a college that do not have your child's intended major or worse, why attend a camp where the coach has not previously seen your child play to express an interest? Why spend thousands of dollars just to fund a college coach that has never before seen your child play?

Summer camps are not "combines". They should be used to finalize a coach's impression in your child after having previously seen your son/daughter play.

Which colleges does your child favor? Based on that list, you can then determine which camps are most important to your family as your target coaches will be attending.

BOTN Industries has discussed the process of developing academic and athletic based college interest lists and replay that information for our readers below.

How to Begin Identifying Potential Target Universities and Colleges

Start by constructing two lists : the first list is a purely academic list of schools that have your son/daughter's majors/interests. The list should contain about ten to twelve schools broken into three buckets : stretch schools (100-200 points above your current SAT scores), on-par schools (those that match your GPA or SAT/ACT scores), and safety schools (those which are an obvious acceptance where you would be in the top quartile of the student body). When you do this academic listing, think to yourself "suppose I could never play soccer again - where would I go?" (CollegeBoard.Com is a great resource for these types of searches.)

Now, construct a second list of the ten soccer programs that would interest your child. Be sure to consider all NCAA divisions as the commitment level will vary greatly. Construct this list without any notion of money/scholarships, but give thought to whether your son/daughter would be a bench-sitter or an active player. For some families, a Division III opportunity with a starting role is worth much more than a Division I limited action role until the junior year.

You will have at most 20 schools at this point. Now, figure our where the overlaps might are between the two lists. This overlap list might have between five and eight schools - which is your initial target market!

#432924 - 05/08/11 01:10 PM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2010-2011 [Re: BoardLord]
Anonymous
Unregistered

How can you find out which are the recognized showcases that the college coaches are recruiting players from?

#432925 - 05/08/11 01:17 PM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2010-2011 [Re: BoardLord]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thank you for your input, at least now we have a starting point. Her current team is not interested in doing college showcases so she has not gotten any college coach exposure. That is why she thought maybe the college camps might be another way of getting exposure.

#432984 - 05/08/11 09:36 PM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2010-2011 [Re: Anonymous]
BoardLord Offline
Back of THE NET

How can you find out which are the recognized showcases that the college coaches are recruiting players from?
Thank you for your input, at least now we have a starting point. Her current team is not interested in doing college showcases so she has not gotten any college coach exposure. That is why she thought maybe the college camps might be another way of getting exposure.
Players are recruited from all showcases. That is their very reason for existing.

That said, remember that coaches come to see players, not teams, and to that end, it is important to invite your target coaches to see the player at the showcase events being attended. Families/players must have their college target list set at the outset of the showcasing journey and perform incremental adjustments as new opportunities appear in order to attend showcases or camps that could actually serve to foster their recruitment. Starting with a blank slate of colleges and universities leads to questions such as this.

To your question, joining a premier team that is showcasing on a regular basis is the easiest way to navigate the showcase tournaments. Why? You will be joining a team that matches your player's skill set and therefore you will be attending showcases that will properly frame your child's talent. Matching your target school list and those showcases will be the tracking that your family will need to do.

If you do not want to change teams to have your child with a showcasing group (why would you not want to make that change?), you can opt to try and guest play at targeted tournaments where your coaches are in attendance, however your ability to show well as a guest not well integrated with the team itself could be harmed.

#438054 - 06/11/11 09:43 AM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2010-2011 [Re: BoardLord]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Boardlord, Do you think you can possibly set up a list of upcoming college summer camp dates? I know it is alot of work but you can definitely handle it. I want to send my daughter to a camp in the northeast region but many schools don't have much info on ther websites. I hope you can help, thanks.

#438092 - 06/11/11 04:36 PM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2010-2011 [Re: Anonymous]
BoardLord Offline
Back of THE NET

Boardlord, Do you think you can possibly set up a list of upcoming college summer camp dates? I know it is alot of work but you can definitely handle it. I want to send my daughter to a camp in the northeast region but many schools don't have much info on ther websites. I hope you can help, thanks.
If you are interested in attending camp just to be gain additional skills, any of the local Division I universities on Long Island usually provide such a program. Further, a well constructed internet search will turn up many options for your daughter. If you are looking to use the camp as a showcasing element, be sure to contact the specific coaches from the schools in which your daughter has an interest.

It is our long standing belief that offering a super-duper camp list is counter productive as it represents yet another pre-collegiate expense where other options for showcasing at a lower price point exist. Further, offering a prepackaged listing devalues our long standing recommendation of developing a Top Ten academic and athletic listing of schools based on your child's interests and desires. All of our collegiate threads discuss this concept. We apologize if this is a "let-down" however we have long stated our views on how to use a college camp.

#438186 - 06/12/11 09:47 AM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2010-2011 [Re: BoardLord]
BoardLord Offline
Back of THE NET

On the subject of college camps, we wanted to share some exchanges from our previous years' threads to provide some additional background and discussion.

Originally Posted By: BoardLord, Post #381831
Originally Posted By: jojoumcgillicudd
I have a daughter who played on a Region 1 team for several years and is now at U-18. ... Having just gone through it I would also STRONGLY suggest that if possible your kid pick 3 or 4 schools she is really interested in and go to their CAMPS on campus. Coaches get to see your kid for 3 days or so, get to see their work ethic, etc. and takes away the chance of the kid having a "bad" game when the coach comes to watch a Showcase game. ... In non-revenue producing sports, kids should be thrilled to get a half scholarship and ignore the noise you hear from people about Suzie getting a full ride. People lie. They just want others to think their kid is special.
Excellent post for many reasons. First, this poster correctly points out that college camps can be a wonderful vehicle for your son or daughter to showcase in front of a coach (or several coaches) over the course of a full week while also showing a real interest and determination to attend that particular university. One suggestion would be to have a conversation with the target coach before attending the camp to validate that there is sufficient interest from both sides.

The other great point here is related to the size of the athletic scholarship that can be earned by either your son or daughter. With approximately nine men's and twelve women's scholarships available for the entire team in Division I and Division II (if fully funded), a half-scholarship based on these numbers is an outstanding offer.

Great post voiced with experience. Thank you for sharing your insight and bringing the camp discussion to this year's college thread.

Absolutely wrong. College camps are a money making vehicle only. Coaches recruit from games watched at showcase etc. not camps. The recruit from a camp is EXTREMELY rare and I know of one Di caoch who has personally told me that in over 25 years he never took a player from a camp.
If you reread our post, our key point is that before attending a college camp, you have to be assured that there is good communication with the college coach on expectations and interest in a roster position. Note that when we are talking about a true "college camp" we are also not discussing summer programs for 12 to 15 year old players. Instead, we are talking about camps targeted at players who actually are showcasing players (16 years old and up).

We have seen college camps yield offers on both the girls and boys side at a variety of colleges including the Patriot League (strong academics), scholarship based D1/D2 programs, and D3 programs. In each case where an offer was made, there was previous interest from both the coach and the player established at a prior tournament. The SAT scores for these schools have midpoints ranging from 1000 to 1300 on the two-way system as reported by the College Board. With all due respect, your response is incorrect.

Page 8 of 10 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 >

Moderator:  Arielle 
Coastal Soccer
House of Sports
Xtreme Goalkeeping
Team X-Plosion
The Soccer Palace
Fall Tournaments
KPSC Winter Kickoff
SC December Tournaments
MAPS Fall Challenge
RVSC College Showcase