Division 3
2014-2015 ENY (State) Cup
Challenge Cup U10-U12
Challenge Cup U13-U19
Open Cup
Soccer Toons
Traveling to a tournament
New Jersey Leagues
Northern Counties | CJYSA | JAGS | Morris County | Metro | Jersey Coast | Monmouth Ocean | Mid-Jersey | South Jersey | South Jersey Girls |
ECNL
ECNL Standings
EDP Fall 2014
Brackets
Schedules
NSCAA HS & College Rankings
USSF Academies
USSF Academy Schedules
US Soccer
Coaching Drills
Girls NPL Listing
Brentwood | ISA | Massapequa | Manhattan SC | STA | NYSC | NJ Crush | NY Rush | Quickstrike FC |
Latest Tryout Posts
OPEN PRACTICE
by Mike D'Angelo
10/21/14 05:45 PM
The GU16 LGN Tsunami are looking for a few skilled and committed players
by L-GroveTsunami
10/21/14 07:48 AM
GU14 Hauppauge Stars looking for players for winter and beyond
by arenasoccer
10/21/14 07:16 AM
Newest Members
AttackingSoccer, gmendola, scharles, LisaLisa, kyle schiralli
13317 Registered Users
Who's Online
5 registered (AlButtson, GaryV, Larry Miller, ZiggyRowe, Powderfinger), 643 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
BOTN Photo Gallery
The 3rd Ave El
Page 5 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#422342 - 01/15/11 10:23 AM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2010-2011 [Re: scoot]
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am so glad you said that about NCSA. I too received a call and was feeling very guilty for not following through with them as I could not afford the fee. I was afraid I was depriving my child of a leg up on the whole college soccer thing.
Glad I made the right choice.... I can do the work myself and do not mind doing so.

Junior Soccer Advertisements

Click Here!

#422855 - 01/20/11 08:33 AM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2010-2011 [Re: Anonymous]
DrPat11746 Offline
Back of THE NET

Loc: Suffolk, NY
I have a similar question.

An organization called 365Sports contacted my son (a high school junior). They mailed him a letter telling him that "they heard about him" (from whom, they don't say) and invited him to a meeting. At this meeting, they will discuss joining their club and participating in tournaments (including one in England).

They implied, among other benefits, that joining this organization will increase his exposure to college coaches.

I am skeptical because A) I don't see American college soccer coaches going to England to recruit American players and B) they are raffling IPADs to people who attend their meetings (selling timeshares too?).

My question is, does anyone have any experience with this orgainzation OR any experience with an organization that has made similar claims?

Thank You,

Pat

#422863 - 01/20/11 09:00 AM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2010-2011 [Re: DrPat11746]
BoardLord Offline
Back of THE NET

Loc: Not Possum Gulch, Arizona
Originally Posted By: DrPat11746
I have a similar question.

An organization called 365Sports contacted my son (a high school junior). They mailed him a letter telling him that "they heard about him" (from whom, they don't say) and invited him to a meeting. At this meeting, they will discuss joining their club and participating in tournaments (including one in England).

They implied, among other benefits, that joining this organization will increase his exposure to college coaches. .... My question is, does anyone have any experience with this orgainzation OR any experience with an organization that has made similar claims?
Your first warning sign that something is not quite right here is that they "heard about your player" without a reference to how they picked up his name. When was the last time you sent an unsolicited letter or made a phone call to a referenced person without identifying the source?

Your second warning is the England trip for a potential college recruitment exercise. Our guess is that not many US college coaches would be on the sidelines in a recruitment event.

In their own words, "365 Sports is an immersive summer athletic experience unlike any other available to elite athletes. We bring individual athletes together into teams, conduct a training camp and compete in international tournaments and festivals." Translation : We generate cash for ourselves.

Notice on the web site that you cannot tell how much the fees for their services would be? Well, our BOTN Industries research has uncovered a parent who went as far as the package pricing discussion : $3,599.00 for a volleyball related recruitment/tournament package. Yes, you read that right.

The one thing for sure as you are seeing with aggressive marketing from some companies : big price tags come with these big promises. Delivery of value is another question. Save your money and work with your existing club, particularly as a junior year player.

BOTN Industries strongly urges you and your family to steer clear of this telemarketing effort.

#422875 - 01/20/11 10:07 AM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2010-2011 [Re: BoardLord]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Many many thanks,

The most difficult part was telling my son that this organization is not what they represent themselves to be. Especially after they cited him as an elite athlete. Who wants to be told that praise from an “international organization” was, in fact empty praise?

They obviously found him from a social networking website for potential college athletes which he joined some months ago.

Warning to parents. If your child athlete aggressively puts himself/herself “out there”, it will likely draw the attention of some unwanted players.

Thanks again,

Pat

#423284 - 01/25/11 02:21 PM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2010-2011 [Re: Anonymous]
rhrhrh Offline
Back of THE NET

We just got a similar email today, my son is only in 8th grade plus the information was several teams ago. Someone paid for a list of players, or got them from a tournament.

#423836 - 02/01/11 02:54 PM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2010-2011 [Re: scoot]
Anonymous
Unregistered

After reading through the thread I find I am a bit confused. I read that DI schools are signing kids at the beginning of junior year yet they are not allowed to talk to the student athlete until the end of their junior year?
If I have misunderstood or if someone and offer some clarification I would be appreciative.Also when is the right time for a club or high school coach to reach out to a college coach on behalf of the student athlete?

Thanks

#423930 - 02/02/11 11:17 AM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2010-2011 [Re: Anonymous]
Anonymous
Unregistered

coaches get around it by contacting the club coach and asking for the player to call them. This way the player is technically initiating the contact. You still can't talk to them in person if you see a coach at a tournament. My daughter was contacted january of her sophmore year and has kept in contact with coach as he requested. She finally commited november of her junior year after visiting several schools on visits she set-up. when it came time to make a decision, she was ready because of her early due diligence. I am glad she didn't wait to visit after the offers.

#424010 - 02/02/11 08:17 PM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2010-2011 [Re: Anonymous]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Anonymous
coaches get around it by contacting the club coach and asking for the player to call them. This way the player is technically initiating the contact. You still can't talk to them in person if you see a coach at a tournament. My daughter was contacted january of her sophmore year and has kept in contact with coach as he requested. She finally commited november of her junior year after visiting several schools on visits she set-up. when it came time to make a decision, she was ready because of her early due diligence. I am glad she didn't wait to visit after the offers.

Did she set up the visits with the coach as unofficial visits or did she visit as a normal perspective student?

#424012 - 02/02/11 09:00 PM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2010-2011 [Re: Anonymous]
BoardLord Offline
Back of THE NET

Did she set up the visits with the coach as unofficial visits or did she visit as a normal perspective student?
Official visits are not permitted until senior year. A potential player can have any number of unofficial visits.

Generally, the test that divides official from unofficial visits is whether or not the institution itself had a role in arranging the visit. (Note : this is too simple a definition, but will help provide a rule of thumb.)

If you need more details and a cheat sheet on this subject, read through the first few posts in our NCAA Rules and Regulations thread on the College Board.

#424073 - 02/03/11 01:26 PM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2010-2011 [Re: BoardLord]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Some of the visits were encouraged by the coaches and some others we just drove through campuses and watched training sessions. Coaches want players who are excited about the school.

#424164 - 02/04/11 11:38 AM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2010-2011 [Re: Anonymous]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Some of the visits were encouraged by the coaches and some others we just drove through campuses and watched training sessions. Coaches want players who are excited about the school.

Thanks

So is appropriate to call the coach and tell them you would like to plan an unofficial visit and you'd like to meet with him?

#424168 - 02/04/11 12:18 PM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2010-2011 [Re: Anonymous]
Anonymous
Unregistered

My daughter called, said she was interested in the school academically and would be visiting the area could she come by. They enthusiastically welcomed her and put together itineraries for her. Only twice did she have to sign an unofficial visit statement. I was overwhelmed with how nice and encouraging all the coaches we contacted were. My daughter felt special. That confidence later showed on the field and paid off for her.

#424191 - 02/04/11 03:34 PM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2010-2011 [Re: Anonymous]
BoardLord Offline
Back of THE NET

Thanks

So is appropriate to call the coach and tell them you would like to plan an unofficial visit and you'd like to meet with him?
By all means, call the coach ahead of your campus visit and tell him/her that your family will be on campus.

Be sure to have your child/player make that phone call. Not only is the player looking to make the decision, but the coach will want to "interview" him/her to gauge interest and fit with the program. It is not unusual, even during an unofficial visit, for a coach to ask a student about grades, campus interest, and such.

Remember as a junior, the coach cannot return your direct phone calls if you do not connect. (As a senior, the call can be returned. See the NCAA Rules and Regulations link for more details.) When in doubt, always make the phone call or visit the coach's office. Also, be sure to follow up with an e-mail as a matter of good practice.

#424193 - 02/04/11 03:38 PM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2010-2011 [Re: Anonymous]
BoardLord Offline
Back of THE NET

My daughter called, said she was interested in the school academically and would be visiting the area could she come by. They enthusiastically welcomed her and put together itineraries for her. Only twice did she have to sign an unofficial visit statement. I was overwhelmed with how nice and encouraging all the coaches we contacted were. My daughter felt special. That confidence later showed on the field and paid off for her.
This is extremely true during the latter half of your child's junior year, the intervening summer months, and the first half of senior year. The visits will tend to put all of the on-field soccer work, the in-classroom performances, and the reality of a college setting into perspective.

The visits (unofficial or official) are actually a very exciting part of the college selection process. Be sure to take a campus tour and take a meal in the campus facilities if at all possible. Walk around not just on a tour with the coach, but as a family to look for what is appealing (or not appealing) about the whole setting.

#424245 - 02/05/11 08:59 AM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2010-2011 [Re: BoardLord]
Anonymous
Unregistered

should the student make a "phone call" or email? I have heard that it is very difficult to get a coach on the phone.

Page 5 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10 >

Moderator:  Arielle 
Manhattan Kick-off Classic
Fall Tournaments
MAPS Fall Challenge
RVSC College Showcase
Soccer Coliseum 5v5
EDP College Showcase
MAPS Cup (Girls)
Winter Classic
SUSA Winter Kickoff
KK Thanksgiving
WBSC College Showcase
Farmingdale Turkey Bowl
Winter Indoor
Coleman Country
Soccer Coliseum
Coastal League
SUSA League
SUSA Xmas Tournament
SUSA Winter Skills
Rockland CC
Sports Underdome
Coindre Hall
BOCA Training
Quickstrike FC
KK MLK
KK XMAS
KK Presidents Day
KK Presidents Week
KK Goalkeeper Training
KK Winter League
KK Winter Skills
LIRR Futsal Training
LIRR Youth Leagues
LIRR Girls Training
LIRR Striker Training
LIRR Dutch Training
LIRR Goalkeeper Training
LIRR Veteran's Day Camp
LIRR Election Day Camp
MAPS Futsal
Soccer Coliseum Leagues
EISC Winter Skills
2015 Tournaments
Manhattan Pre-Spring Kickoff
RYSA Wildcats Labor Day
Adult Leagues
Coastal Men
SUSA Bubble
KK Athletics
Sponsors

Globall Sports Centers
Soccer Leagues
Soccer Tournaments
Training Clinics
Birthday Parties
Field Rentals
LI Rough Riders
Training Program
Soccer Camps
Jr. Rough Riders
Rough Riders Select
Men's & Women's Tickets
Soccer Coliseum
Tournaments
Training
Youth Leagues
Adult Leagues
SUSA Bubble Lindenhurst
Youth Leagues
Tournaments
Adult Leagues
Training & Academy Programs
Field Rentals
Summer League
Premier Soccer Academy
Tournaments
Youth Academy ID Camps
Camps
Coaching Services
Kickin’ Kiddie Program
Boys NPL Listing
Brentwood | Bklyn Italians | Everton Amer. | Eastern FC | East Meadow SC | Massapequa | STA Soccer | NY Elite | HOTA | Parsippany SC | Princeton SC | Soccer Plus Acad. |

Click Here!

Copyright (c) Back of THE NET 1993 - 2014