Spring Leagues Scores: | NPL | NYCSL | NYPL | JSS | NY (State) Cup | WYSL | CJSL | LIJSL | EDP | Challenge Cup 1/4 Finals | ECNL |
| Challenge Cup | Open Cup | Long Island Cup | Region 1 Premier | NERP | Colonial League | Staten Island | ENYP | EHYSL | NJ (State) Cup |

Spring Tournaments: | MSSL College Showcase | Commack SC Memorial Day | Pocono Cup Memorial Day |
| EDP Cup (U11-U14) | EDP Cup (U15-U17) | Manalapan SC Memorial Day | MSSL Memorial Day Explosion |

Nobody Does It Better
Latest Tryout Posts
BU13 Looking for starting Defender to round out the team
by BrianPlatt
Yesterday at 05:08 PM
GU9 Den of Lions Magic-Tired of paying for soccer training?
by danielgil
Yesterday at 02:32 PM
Westchester Soccer Club Tryouts
by Larry Miller
Yesterday at 11:16 AM
NYCSL & JSS Schedules, Scores & Standings
| NYCSL | NYPL | NPL |
NY (State) Cup | JSS |
LIJSL Scores & Standings
Spring '14 Scores & Standings
Long Island Cup
Fall Sportsmanship Standings
Region 1 League Scores
Premier League
NERP
Colonial League
2013-2014 ENY (State) Cup
Challenge Cup U10-U12
Challenge Cup U13-U19
Open Cup
New Jersey Leagues
Northern Counties | CJYSA | JAGS | Morris County | Metro | Jersey Coast | Monmouth Ocean | Mid-Jersey | South Jersey | South Jersey Girls |
ECNL
ECNL Standings
EDP Spring 2014
Brackets, Schedules & Scores
Commack Academy Tryouts
NSCAA HS & College Rankings
Coaching Drills
USSF Academies
USSF Academy Schedules
US Soccer
Newest Members
Desnkyle, GalaxyMgr, cscottslp, nickhollifield, soccerchick30
12991 Registered Users
BOTN News Alerts
Subscribe to our newsletter
Google Translate
BOTN Photo Gallery
J&R Music World & Computer World is No More
Page 3 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9 10 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#414735 - 10/14/10 02:25 PM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2010-2011 [Re: Anonymous]
BoardLord Offline
Back of THE NET

Loc: Not Possum Gulch, Arizona
Originally Posted By: Anonymous
question about showcasing. do you have any idea which club or teams in long island are doing well in showcasing their players?
To some extent, your question is similar to "what flavor of ice cream is the best?". As a general rule, the premier teams playing at the Northeast Regional or Region One Premier League levels are gaining acceptances to the top national and regional showcases. The success in their showcasing results should never be measured by wins/losses but how many target coaches to which the team's players sent e-mails have actually attended the games. This of course is followed by how the player performed on the field and gained the interest of a coach.

i've read a while in here that the coach's making up of the team (positioning players in areas they are stronger) in showcase games gives the players more chances of being visible to the recruiters.
A club/premier coach who is aware of the colleges attending a game, maintains an active listing of schools to which his/her players wrote, and can match the player's best position with the needs of a college coach will experience the best recruitment success on average. You can see in our explanation that each level requires more work. Hence, the more work you put into the showcase preparation and execution, the better your results.

For example, sign-up for a showcase and attend with profiles but no coaching invitations having been extended? You will get some limited walk-up traffic without really any focused interest. This is like the telemarketing of showcasing.

Next level would be active invitations from the players to their prospect coaches. Here, each player is on their own in drawing coaches and there is really no coordinated team involvement.

Increment up another level - now the coach pulls together the interest list and can balance interaction on behalf of the team when two girls are competing for the same school or when playing time in front of a specific coach attending for half a game can be arranged.

Finally, now the club/premier coach knows a college coach has an interest in a player, perhaps a striker for the club team, but seen more as a potential defender for the college. The club/premier coach might play the player in the college coach's preferred spot in order to secure the college roster spot for the player. The team will not necessarily suffer as you can be sure that the player will push very hard to excel in this circumstance.

So, the more preparation and communication that takes place, the further up the value-chain your team can progress with showcasing.

secondly, which colleges in long island have a good soccer program?
Define "good". Are you measuring by NCAA Division, record, conference, scholarships available, team environment, academics, majors, or location? "Good" is defined by the school that meets your players needs and where the player is a fit academically and athletically.

my daugther have always mentioned about going out-of-state but that remains to be seen as we are also in a financial pinch. she is an honor student and to be honest we are looking for an academic scholarship first and soccer comes in second.
Maintaining a listing of ten academic and ten athletic options as we have often suggested will help you execute on both axes.

she is still a freshman and plays JV, we are however looking to move her to another club next season and would like to consider the showcasing as one of the criteria in picking that team.
So, the real questions you should be asking are the following:
  • What colleges and universities are my daughter considering?
  • To what showcases is Team X planning on applying next season?
  • What is the likelihood of Team X making that showcase cut next season?
  • What coaches attended those showcases last year?
  • Is there strong overlap between my daughter's college choices and those coaches that attended last year at these showcases?
  • How much playing time will my daughter be able to get at showcases?
  • Does Team X typically play to win at the showcase (some do) or make sure players are seen in front of target coaches?
In other words, a player thinking of attending a NESCAC school (great academics, small schools) will be showcasing somewhat differently than a player with aspirations for a west coast school. Hopefully, you get the point and hopefully, these questions help you sharpen your pencil on what to be asking.

thanks for the info.
You are welcome and thank you for the contribution.

Junior Soccer Advertisements

Click Here!

#414740 - 10/14/10 03:06 PM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2010-2011 [Re: BoardLord]
Anonymous
Unregistered

do any teams on BOTN ever showcase in FLA at the score at the shore tournament? With BOTN being a northeast (as far as I know anyway) site I wouldnt know how to even get my child to a showcase at those tournaments

#414743 - 10/14/10 03:46 PM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2010-2011 [Re: Anonymous]
BoardLord Offline
Back of THE NET

do any teams on BOTN ever showcase in FLA at the score at the shore tournament?
Long Island teams (premier teams) will often showcase during Christmas week in Florida. On the girls side, there is the Disney Showcase and the Orange Classic. On the boys side, there is Disney and Cocoa Beach. Score at the Shore (July showcase) is held in North Carolina similar to the Raleigh Tournaments (early December).

With BOTN being a northeast (as far as I know anyway) site I wouldnt know how to even get my child to a showcase at those tournaments
BOTN has national reach and we will often have postings for tournaments from across the country. You might not recognize the non-local events, but they are posted (Weston Cup and Disney President's Week Tournaments are just two examples). As for getting your child to showcases like these, there are several avenues:
  • Writing to the attending Long Island teams asking if they need guest players
  • Registering with the tournament web site (many have guest player registrations) in the hope of being picked up
  • Checking on the plans for your own team to attend a similar showcase

#414793 - 10/15/10 10:04 AM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2010-2011 [Re: BoardLord]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: BoardLord
question about showcasing. do you have any idea which club or teams in long island are doing well in showcasing their players?
To some extent, your question is similar to "what flavor of ice cream is the best?". As a general rule, the premier teams playing at the Northeast Regional or Region One Premier League levels are gaining acceptances to the top national and regional showcases. The success in their showcasing results should never be measured by wins/losses but how many target coaches to which the team's players sent e-mails have actually attended the games. This of course is followed by how the player performed on the field and gained the interest of a coach.

i've read a while in here that the coach's making up of the team (positioning players in areas they are stronger) in showcase games gives the players more chances of being visible to the recruiters.
A club/premier coach who is aware of the colleges attending a game, maintains an active listing of schools to which his/her players wrote, and can match the player's best position with the needs of a college coach will experience the best recruitment success on average. You can see in our explanation that each level requires more work. Hence, the more work you put into the showcase preparation and execution, the better your results.

For example, sign-up for a showcase and attend with profiles but no coaching invitations having been extended? You will get some limited walk-up traffic without really any focused interest. This is like the telemarketing of showcasing.

Next level would be active invitations from the players to their prospect coaches. Here, each player is on their own in drawing coaches and there is really no coordinated team involvement.

Increment up another level - now the coach pulls together the interest list and can balance interaction on behalf of the team when two girls are competing for the same school or when playing time in front of a specific coach attending for half a game can be arranged.

Finally, now the club/premier coach knows a college coach has an interest in a player, perhaps a striker for the club team, but seen more as a potential defender for the college. The club/premier coach might play the player in the college coach's preferred spot in order to secure the college roster spot for the player. The team will not necessarily suffer as you can be sure that the player will push very hard to excel in this circumstance.

So, the more preparation and communication that takes place, the further up the value-chain your team can progress with showcasing.

secondly, which colleges in long island have a good soccer program?
Define "good". Are you measuring by NCAA Division, record, conference, scholarships available, team environment, academics, majors, or location? "Good" is defined by the school that meets your players needs and where the player is a fit academically and athletically.

my daugther have always mentioned about going out-of-state but that remains to be seen as we are also in a financial pinch. she is an honor student and to be honest we are looking for an academic scholarship first and soccer comes in second.
Maintaining a listing of ten academic and ten athletic options as we have often suggested will help you execute on both axes.

she is still a freshman and plays JV, we are however looking to move her to another club next season and would like to consider the showcasing as one of the criteria in picking that team.
So, the real questions you should be asking are the following:
  • What colleges and universities are my daughter considering?
  • To what showcases is Team X planning on applying next season?
  • What is the likelihood of Team X making that showcase cut next season?
  • What coaches attended those showcases last year?
  • Is there strong overlap between my daughter's college choices and those coaches that attended last year at these showcases?
  • How much playing time will my daughter be able to get at showcases?
  • Does Team X typically play to win at the showcase (some do) or make sure players are seen in front of target coaches?
In other words, a player thinking of attending a NESCAC school (great academics, small schools) will be showcasing somewhat differently than a player with aspirations for a west coast school. Hopefully, you get the point and hopefully, these questions help you sharpen your pencil on what to be asking.

thanks for the info.
You are welcome and thank you for the contribution.

thank you very much Mr. BoardLord. this is very very helpful. God bless.

#414794 - 10/15/10 10:06 AM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2010-2011 [Re: BoardLord]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Long Island teams (premier teams) will often showcase during Christmas week in Florida. On the girls side, there is the Disney Showcase and the Orange Classic. On the boys side, there is Disney and Cocoa Beach. Score at the Shore (July showcase) is held in North Carolina similar to the Raleigh Tournaments (early December).

With BOTN being a northeast (as far as I know anyway) site I wouldnt know how to even get my child to a showcase at those tournaments
BOTN has national reach and we will often have postings for tournaments from across the country. You might not recognize the non-local events, but they are posted (Weston Cup and Disney President's Week Tournaments are just two examples). As for getting your child to showcases like these, there are several avenues:
  • Registering with the tournament web site (many have guest player registrations) in the hope of being picked up

Can you tell us what the websites of these showcase tournaments? I have no idea where to find the information on the LI premier teams that goes to these tournaments. I figure if I can find the website and look at the standings I'd be able to tell which teams in LI we should check out by spring next year. Thank you.

#415066 - 10/18/10 10:53 PM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2010-2011 [Re: Anonymous]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Can you tell us what the websites of these showcase tournaments? I have no idea where to find the information on the LI premier teams that goes to these tournaments. I figure if I can find the website and look at the standings I'd be able to tell which teams in LI we should check out by spring next year. Thank you.

I have to say as I read along this very informative posting, I'm wondering if I'm falling behind with my own daughters' preparation for college? She is also a freshman (playing varsity however) with strong academics and playing on a terrific premier team and also aspires to play in college, but I don't think she would have a clue which college she would want to attend someday? We're just assuming that will come in her junior year unless we're wispering into her ear which colleges to consider? Does anyone start their kids looking at colleges in 9th or 10th grades?

#415090 - 10/19/10 09:18 AM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2010-2011 [Re: Anonymous]
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have to say as I read along this very informative posting, I'm wondering if I'm falling behind with my own daughters' preparation for college? She is also a freshman (playing varsity however) with strong academics and playing on a terrific premier team and also aspires to play in college, but I don't think she would have a clue which college she would want to attend someday? We're just assuming that will come in her junior year unless we're wispering into her ear which colleges to consider? Does anyone start their kids looking at colleges in 9th or 10th grades?
Anytime we play a tournament that has a major college near it we try to at least walk around the campus. Been doing it since 7th grade you never know what may stick in their heads. At least you may eliminate some unnecessary visits down the road. SUNY New Paltz (out) URI (out) Brown U (out) Johns Hopkins (out) Princeton (still in). Hey you never know.

#415109 - 10/19/10 10:57 AM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2010-2011 [Re: Anonymous]
Anonymous
Unregistered

what can you tell from walking around?

#415112 - 10/19/10 11:14 AM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2010-2011 [Re: Anonymous]
BoardLord Offline
Back of THE NET

Can you tell us what the websites of these showcase tournaments?
The showcase events that we have named in this thread can be googled easily.

I have no idea where to find the information on the LI premier teams that goes to these tournaments.
Do you know who the premier teams are within your particular age group? If not, check the Region One league standings from last season. However, if you son/daughter is capable of playing on a regional level, chances are that you would already know who these teams might be. Again, we might be wrong in that assumption, but rarely do we find the case of a parent/player looking to showcase seriously where there is no working knowledge of the premier structure/teams in the age group. If you were to post your age group details, we could certainly provide you with that listing if needed.

I figure if I can find the website and look at the standings I'd be able to tell which teams in LI we should check out by spring next year. Thank you.
Check the Region One Scores island on the left side of the BOTN display - you will want to check the archives from last season. You can also execute a search via google for last season's Eastern New York President's League standings for the teams that are one step below regional competition as of last Spring.

#415115 - 10/19/10 11:22 AM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2010-2011 [Re: BoardLord]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Can you tell us what the websites of these showcase tournaments?
The showcase events that we have named in this thread can be googled easily.

I have no idea where to find the information on the LI premier teams that goes to these tournaments.
Do you know who the premier teams are within your particular age group? If not, check the Region One league standings from last season. However, if you son/daughter is capable of playing on a regional level, chances are that you would already know who these teams might be. Again, we might be wrong in that assumption, but rarely do we find the case of a parent/player looking to showcase seriously where there is no working knowledge of the premier structure/teams in the age group. If you were to post your age group details, we could certainly provide you with that listing if needed.

I figure if I can find the website and look at the standings I'd be able to tell which teams in LI we should check out by spring next year. Thank you.
Check the Region One Scores island on the left side of the BOTN display - you will want to check the archives from last season. You can also execute a search via google for last season's Eastern New York President's League standings for the teams that are one step below regional competition as of last Spring.

Hi BoardLord thank you. My daughter is now GU15 playing D1 in LIJSL. She is playing JV in high school as well. I thougth that this is the right time for her to find a team that goes to showcases that she can join in the next two years. At least that will give her enough time to gel with the team. We are looking to make the move and go to tryouts by spring next year. Thanks for the information, you have been very helpful.

#415117 - 10/19/10 11:30 AM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2010-2011 [Re: Anonymous]
BoardLord Offline
Back of THE NET

I have to say as I read along this very informative posting, I'm wondering if I'm falling behind with my own daughters' preparation for college? She is also a freshman (playing varsity however) with strong academics and playing on a terrific premier team and also aspires to play in college, but I don't think she would have a clue which college she would want to attend someday?
First and foremost, keep a focus on the academics and preparations for the standardized testing (PSAT/NMSQT, PLAN and finally, SAT I, SAT II, and ACT). These are the most important tickets in your college direction as these will be parts of your child's resume whether or not soccer is part of the final equation.

As for knowing which colleges are part of your daughter's future, it is not unusual for a freshman player and her family to be in this state since you are just reaching the point of getting ready for showcases. If you are on a premier team that is largely sophomore laden at U/15 as opposed to freshman heavy at U/15, you will want to get an earlier start only because the showcasing should already be starting.

In terms of choosing college, there are some basic questions that you can already start asking your daughter and your family:
  • What travel distance from home are we willing to accept?
  • Should we restrict our search to be within X hours of our home? (Translation : Do we want to see her play and how often can she come home during the year?)
  • What financial planning have we done for her college career? (Translation : Can we afford to have her dorm away from home? Can we afford $30,000 per year for the academic bill? What is our financial limit?)
  • What finanial aid is required? (Translation : Do we have more than $100,000 in cash assets? Is our combined income in excess of $150,000 per year?)
  • What area of the country interests our daughter?
  • What competitive level is she truly capable of achieving? (Translation : Are we looking at UNC or Duke with an average player? Have we seen a collegiate game to know what is to be expected - FOX/Soccer channel is great for seeing women's collegiate games though not in person of course.)
  • Is she considering a NCAA Division I, II, or III caliber commitment?
We're just assuming that will come in her junior year unless we're wispering into her ear which colleges to consider? Does anyone start their kids looking at colleges in 9th or 10th grades?
The amount of proactive involvement you have EARLY in this process, the EASIER it will be when the real heavy lifting is done junior year. Do not expect that coaches will just come to see your team or your player. Yes, now is the time start doing your groundwork. So, some questions to ask of your team starting today:
  • What college showcases do we think we will be attending over the next year?
  • Have all the players on the team started constructing profiles/resumes from the same template?
  • Do we know what is supposed to go into a profile for our players?
  • Has a team summary profile been created as a cover letter for the packet?
Our thread covering Communications : Profiles, Letters, Contacts here on the College Board will serve as a great resource to help you get started down the path of answering these questions.

#415118 - 10/19/10 11:39 AM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2010-2011 [Re: Anonymous]
BoardLord Offline
Back of THE NET

Anytime we play a tournament that has a major college near it we try to at least walk around the campus. Been doing it since 7th grade you never know what may stick in their heads. At least you may eliminate some unnecessary visits down the road. SUNY New Paltz (out) URI (out) Brown U (out) Johns Hopkins (out) Princeton (still in). Hey you never know.
This is an excellent suggestion and one well worth noting. Many times you will have teams traveling to showcases with major downtime lost at the local mall or just in the hotel, particularly with one game per day events. Useful for team bonding, but not all of your time needs to be dedicated to this one activity.

Using this time to visit campuses, even attend one of the guided tours, will help the young player start to establish what is liked and not liked about a particular environment - size, green space, building architecture, campus setting, student vibe and so forth. While one might think that a full team outing for one or two colleges is a good idea, the problem is that too many young minds are shaped by peer influence, so steer clear of the group mentality when visiting campuses.

Calling ahead to schools which seem to be an academic fit and scheduling a campus tour is a wonderful way to spend an afternoon after an early morning showcase game.

#415601 - 10/24/10 09:00 PM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2010-2011 [Re: Anonymous]
Anonymous
Unregistered

we started looking at colleges with our daughter in ninth grade. She did not know where she wanted to go or what to pursue with her studies. She has changed her intended area of studies at least four times since ninth grade. But the college visits were very helpful in her end decision. Walking around the campus, she would get the feel of the university or college. She began to understand her inner feelings regarding the type of school she wanted to attend. Most were too small, she wanted many students to intereact with. California was really nice but too far. (Mom was happy with that.) She decided that she preferred the "new england" architecture with a large grassy quad. I was surprised when visiting High Point when she stated the school MUST have a football team. She did not care for UConn or Elan in that they were in the middle of nowhere. Yet she did not care for George Washington due to the urban campus. But she did hope for a school near near a major city. Princeton was awesome, as was Harvard, and she has the grades and scores, but that is where the "brainiacs" go. Duke UNC, and BC were awesome but she said she did not have the talent to play there. Georgetown looked great on the first visit but not on the second.

So over the years, and too many campuses to count, she did come to learn both about herself and the type of school she would like to attend. As it turns out, she is applying early decision to a school we first contacted in the fall of her sophmore year. She is very happy, and mom and I dont have to worry about applications. Time well spent. smile

#415968 - 10/28/10 09:05 AM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2010-2011 [Re: Anonymous]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Our thanks to both 'BL' and 'Anon' for these responses. Your answers and suggestions already fit well with our line of thinking and are great to hear! The points made about letting her combine the college search with her own inner growth really hits home as we're watching our little girl evolve more and more into her own young self with each passing day during her first high school year! The advice you both offer is a very helpful roadmap rolling on thru her teams many upcoming showcase tournaments (luckily they're mostly all 9th graders) and will be well utilized.

Thanks again for the feedback with such spot on specifics!

#415977 - 10/28/10 09:57 AM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2010-2011 [Re: Anonymous]
BoardLord Offline
Back of THE NET

Our thanks to both 'BL' and 'Anon' for these responses. Your answers and suggestions already fit well with our line of thinking and are great to hear! The points made about letting her combine the college search with her own inner growth really hits home as we're watching our little girl evolve more and more into her own young self with each passing day during her first high school year! The advice you both offer is a very helpful roadmap rolling on thru her teams many upcoming showcase tournaments (luckily they're mostly all 9th graders) and will be well utilized.

Thanks again for the feedback with such spot on specifics!
From BOTN Industries, you are more than welcomed. You are well advised to review all of our threads on the college message board as many of the early days preparation topics are covered.

As for most of the team being ninth graders, now is the time to start getting the parents to create player profiles using a standard template. In all likelihood, you will start tournament showcasing in the November timeframe (CASL/Raleigh, National Elite, MAPS/Winter Showcase, Disney/Orange and so forth) and it is best that you use the next two weeks to get some of your ground work completed including a couple of coaching contacts for your next tournament event.

Page 3 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9 10 >

Moderator:  Arielle 
Tournaments

Memorial & Spring Tourneys
MSSL College Showcase
Commack SC Memorial Day
Pocono Cup Memorial Day
Manalapan SC Memorial
EDP Cup (U11-U14)
EDP Cup (U15-U17)
MSSL Explosion
Summer Tournaments
Independence Cup
EMSC Summer Tournament
EDP Invitational Festival
Central Jersey Invit.
Lehigh Valley Steamroll
MAPS Caps Classic
Pocono Premier Cup
RVSC Summer Select
Oceanside SC Labor Day
The Rider Cup
Sand & Beach Soccer
Summer Camps
Berkshire Girls Academy
Rough Riders
East Islip SC
Fall & Columbus Weekend
MAPS Fall Challenge
East Islip Fall Classic
Sponsors

LI Rough Riders
Training Program
Soccer Camps
Jr. Rough Riders
Rough Riders Select
Men's & Women's Tickets
SUSA Bubble Lindenhurst
Youth Leagues
Tournaments
Adult Leagues
Training & Academy Programs
Field Rentals
Globall Sports Centers
Soccer Leagues
Soccer Tournaments
Training Clinics
Birthday Parties
Field Rentals
Soccer Coliseum
Tournaments
Training
Youth Leagues
Adult Leagues
Premier Soccer Academy
Summer Development Program
Youth Academy ID Camps
Camps&Tournaments
Coaching Services
Kickiní Kiddie Program
Who's Online
2 registered (Larry Miller, goaliejj), 395 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12991 Members
10 Forums
7096 Topics
360051 Posts

Max Online: 2013 @ 01/26/14 10:52 PM

Click Here!

Copyright (c) Back of THE NET 1993 - 2014