West Islip Roar at The Shore Registration extended to Aug. 3 ... East End needs 1 team each in BU10, BU12, BU14, GU8-9, GU10, GU12 ... LABOR DAY TOURNAMENTS Oceanside SC Labor Day - West Babylon SC ASA Labor Day - RYSA Wildcats Labor Day......

Subscribe to BOTN
BOTN Electronic Alerts
Nobody Does It Better
NYCSL_NYPL_NPL_JSS

NYCSL & JSS Schedules, Scores & Standings
| NYCSL | NYPL | NPL |
NY (State) Cup | JSS |
LIJSL Scores & Standings
Spring '14 Scores & Standings
Long Island Cup
Spring '14 Sportsmanship Standings
Fall '14 Schedule
Spring '15 Schedule
Region 1 League Scores
Premier League
NERP
Colonial League
2013-2014 ENY (State) Cup
Challenge Cup U10-U12
Challenge Cup U13-U19
Open Cup
New Jersey Leagues
Northern Counties | CJYSA | JAGS | Morris County | Metro | Jersey Coast | Monmouth Ocean | Mid-Jersey | South Jersey | South Jersey Girls |
ECNL
ECNL Standings
EDP Spring 2014
Brackets, Schedules & Scores
NSCAA HS & College Rankings
USSF Academies
USSF Academy Schedules
US Soccer
Coaching Drills
Girls NPL Listing
Aztec Soccer | Brentwood | ISA | Massapequa | Massachusetts Premier | STA | NEFC | NJ Crush | NJSA04 | NY Rush | NR Sting | Oakwood | Parsippany SC | Seacoast Utd. | Yankee Utd. |
Latest Tryout Posts
Gu13 team looking for a guest goalie for the East Meadow Tournament
by GK GU14
Today at 05:34 PM
GU12 PLAINVIEW OLD BETHPAGE DYNAMITE
by peterdynamite
Today at 02:29 PM
BU10 (Fall 2014) - East Meadow Cosmos Looking For Players
by JMedina
Today at 09:17 AM
Newest Members
nydoger123, CrushCoach, JMedina, Girls Cheetahs, mshrek
13249 Registered Users
Google Translate
BOTN Photo Gallery
Farrell's Ice Cream Parlour in Massapequa
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... 9 10 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#407722 - 07/25/10 08:37 AM College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2010-2011
BoardLord Offline
Back of THE NET

Loc: Not Possum Gulch, Arizona
For the third consecutive year, BOTN Industries is pleased to be able to offer our college recruitment board as a service to the soccer community. Hundreds of interesting discussions, question and answer sessions, and general exchanges have taken place over the last two seasons guiding players, parents, coaches, and teams through the showcase and recruitment environments.

As in the past, please feel free to ask questions about the college process as it relates to academics, soccer, or both.

Readers who would like to read through our last two season's of material can see the following links.

College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2008-2009

College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2009-2010

Junior Soccer Advertisements

Click Here!

#408024 - 07/28/10 08:03 PM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2010-2011 [Re: BoardLord]
BoardLord Offline
Back of THE NET

With a new year of high school freshmen, sophomores, juniors, and seniors about to take their scholastic fields and club showcase tours, BOTN Industries is pleased to take your questions and comments regarding the recruitment process here on our new 2010/2011 thread. Welcome and we look forward to your contributions.

#408316 - 08/01/10 09:24 PM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2010-2011 [Re: BoardLord]
Uptown Girl Offline
Back of THE NET

BoardLord,
Thanks for the new thread. Can you help me resolve an issue I haven't been able to get clear in my head? My daughter has a late in the year birthday so she plays on age with her club. This means as a tenth grader she plays with many ninth graders. Is this a detriment when it comes time for college showcases? I understand that if she is interested in a particular school then she should contact them, but are they as likely to watch a younger age group? And I'm thinking that the younger age group sometimes plays in a venue away from the older girls, so could that affect her possible recruitment as well? In other words, are kids with late birthdays getting the shaft? Why don't clubs play by calendar year? Thanks in advance.

#408318 - 08/01/10 10:21 PM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2010-2011 [Re: Uptown Girl]
BoardLord Offline
Back of THE NET

Originally Posted By: Uptown Girl
BoardLord,
Thanks for the new thread. Can you help me resolve an issue I haven't been able to get clear in my head? My daughter has a late in the year birthday so she plays on age with her club. This means as a tenth grader she plays with many ninth graders. Is this a detriment when it comes time for college showcases?
This is a very important question that comes from parents and players when the players are among the youngest in their particular High School school grades (August 1st to November 30th) yet one of the oldest on their club teams. This happens because the USYSA defines a soccer year as being from August through July while most school districts will divide school classes with a December deadline.

During our coaching and college recruitment experience, we have come across the situation in practice several times. The club team will be showcasing over three or four years with the players in the following scholastic classes (everyone playing on age) :
  • U/15 : Sophomores/Freshmen
  • U/16 : Juniors/Sophomores
  • U/17 : Seniors/Juniors
  • U/18 : Seniors
Therefore, an older player will do most of their showcasing as part of their U/16 season and finalizing a commitment during the early U/17 season. Younger players will gain some exposure at U/16 with most of the work happening at U/17 and final signings by U/18.

The key point is that the club team needs to schedule showcases to accomodate these two different recruiting cycles. However to answer your question, there is no inherent disadvantage to being the oldest in your club team age aside from being among the first players active in the recruitment phase of showcases. College coaches recognize that team years are split as per our listing above and will follow players based on their birth date and high school class moreso than based on the age group of the premier team.

Note that some parents have chosen to move their child to another showcasing team where their older player became a younger player only to find two potential downsides.
  • First, your child is now trying to showcase and shine against players one year older.
  • Second, a younger player joining a new team that is already in the showcasing swing might not get as much playing time as with his or her original team.
Changing teams late in the showcasing years, particularly when you are getting key playing opportunities in showcase events, might not yield the benefits you would expect by being a younger player in an age group.

Originally Posted By: Anonymous
I understand that if she is interested in a particular school then she should contact them, but are they as likely to watch a younger age group? And I'm thinking that the younger age group sometimes plays in a venue away from the older girls, so could that affect her possible recruitment as well? In other words, are kids with late birthdays getting the shaft? Why don't clubs play by calendar year? Thanks in advance.
When a showcase uses multiple venues, it can make it challenging to be on the main recruitment fields if a team is in a lower bracket (perhaps getting only one or two games at the main complex) or a younger age group. Despite this, showcase events generally work diligently to make sure that all of their showcasing age teams will get at least one game on the main complex.

College coaches will indeed follow players in which they have an interest. Therefore, you can be assured that your child will have visiting coaches attend when you are on the main fields and some coaches will follow your players to secondary sites.

The soccer calendar (August to July) is tied to the National Championships (end July) which are tied to the Regional Events (early July) which are tied to State Cup competitions (June) and so on. [If soccer and scholastic calendars were aligned, other sports that are aligned to scholastic years would be off. Note also that not all school districts nationally and locally have the same scholastic year!]

Are older players being shafted by this system? Not at all - in fact, one might argue that they have an advantage in that college coaches might be more interested in seeing a younger team where there are fewer commitments already made just at the point that your player is ready to showcase. Remember, there are two different cycles that we mentioned earlier for older and younger players and a solidly functioning team will make the balance work.

Thanks very much for your very important question.

#408936 - 08/11/10 10:06 AM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2010-2011 [Re: BoardLord]
Anonymous
Unregistered

In response to the above question, my daughter also was the same chronolgic age as everyone on her team, but was a year ahead in school because of the difference between soccer age and school age based on her birthdate.
She played on a fairly competitive team ( region 1 caliber) so the team was attending all of the higher end showcases and playing in higher tier brackets since U15. I did find that as a U15 team, there were fewer coaches just "showing up" randomly to watch games as compared to when they played at U16. Additionally, we did end up at some of the less "popular" venues (those at diferent locations than where the higheest bracket U16-U17 teams were playing at when we were at U15). So that did preclude the ability of some coaches to get to see her play when she was in her U16 year(sophomore) but everyone else on the team was U15.
The most important point that BOTN expresses and I agree with wholeheartedly is that when she is in her sophomore and junior years, you can not just rely on a coach making a coldcall and randomly showing up to watch your game as your recruiting MO. Unless your kid's team is a top 20 ranked team and carrying a few National players that the coaches want to see, don't count on 20-30 coaches just showing up at your game because they have no one else specifically to focus on. It does happen at the better tournaments, but most often the coaches that are there were probably contacted by someone on the other team and then had the chance to see your kid play as well. YOU must be much more proactive as a parent in making sure your athlete is contacting the schools, visiting the school to meet the coach so he/she feels you have interest in the school and possibly attending a summer camp and doing everything possible to make sure a coach shows up at your game to see your kid play. One high end D1 coach who was sitting at one of our games told me that he receives so many e mails he can't possibly see everone. He will focus on thoe who made a trip to see the school, put a face on thee mail and showed an interest in his school as opposed to just playing soccer. We were exceptionaly proactive in this process knowing everyone else on the team was a year behind and we were aggressive in sending e mails and visiting schools and had many of those schools appear at our games and eventually make offers to our daughter. As it turns out, we had a D1 school that we originally never had any contact with, who saw my daughter at a tournament when watching an opposing player and now she will be attending that school with a significant athletic scholarship. So you never know what will happen, but you can not COUNT on someone discovering your kid. There are never guarantees as to where they will end up, BUT If you don't do the work, you will probably be disapointed. That much I would guarantee.

#409101 - 08/13/10 10:02 PM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2010-2011 [Re: Anonymous]
Uptown Girl Offline
Back of THE NET

Thanks for your advice. It is good to hear some real life experiences.

#409389 - 08/17/10 02:20 PM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2010-2011 [Re: Uptown Girl]
Anonymous
Unregistered

What is a good Columbus Day Tournament if your team didn't apply or dodn't get into WAGS?

#409400 - 08/17/10 03:30 PM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2010-2011 [Re: Anonymous]
Larry Miller Online   happy
Chief Rocker
Back of THE NET

Loc: Greenwich Village
Originally Posted By: Anonymous
What is a good Columbus Day Tournament if your team didn't apply or dodn't get into WAGS?

FC Westchester Columbus Weekend Tournament

#409444 - 08/18/10 08:49 AM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2010-2011 [Re: Larry Miller]
Westone Offline

Back of THE NET

Loc: Westchester, NY
WAGS is the top Columbus Day tournament in the area. Kirkwood (Delaware) is the runner up. The one is Columbia Maryland also is also an alternative.

Their is a great tournament recap linked off the MSC soccer club website.

#409750 - 08/21/10 08:44 AM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2010-2011 [Re: BoardLord]
BoardLord Offline
Back of THE NET

BOTN Industries has been asked on many occasions if there was knowledge of a web site that lists boys' recruitment details similar to what we have previously published from Google on girls' recruiting.

ESPN Rise provides a boys soccer web site with many details which you might find useful.

Class of 2010, Division I College Commitments

Class of 2010, Division II College Commitments

Class of 2010, Division III College Commitments

Class of 2011, Division I College Commitments

Class of 2011, Division II College Commitments

Class of 2012, Division I College Commitments

#409751 - 08/21/10 08:49 AM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2010-2011 [Re: BoardLord]
BoardLord Offline
Back of THE NET

Also from ESPN Rise, BOTN Industries can supply the following girls soccer information for our College Board readers.

Class of 2010, Division I College Commitments (By College)

Class of 2011, Division I College Commitments (By College)

#409806 - 08/22/10 09:11 AM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2010-2011 [Re: BoardLord]
BoardLord Offline
Back of THE NET

Newsday ran an interesting article on Sunday, August 22nd, 2010 discussing how to keep an open mind during recruitment periods rather than having one single university as a target early during your High School career.

BOTN Industries has often discussed maintaining two lists of ten schools, one based on academics and one based on athletics, to enable the player and family to develop their core list of five to eight target schools in the early phases.

College Recruitment Can Be Overwhelming

Notice that fees in the $1000.00 range are being charged for placement services in a variety of sports. Please be sure to read through the tips at the end of the article.

Your comments on this material are welcomed.

#411528 - 09/09/10 09:29 PM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2010-2011 [Re: BoardLord]
BoardLord Offline
Back of THE NET

Planning for October tournaments and November/December showcases should now be in full swing for premier and top level club teams. Questions covering how to get the most from your upcoming showcases, planning activities, or college related contacts are most welcomed. Please feel free to ask your questions in this year's recruitment thread.

#412123 - 09/16/10 01:50 PM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2010-2011 [Re: BoardLord]
Anonymous
Unregistered

I know this has been discussed, but I can not find the page. Can someone go over how Div 1 and Div111 differ with repect to committment ie practice hours length of season etc??
thanks

#412191 - 09/17/10 09:36 AM Re: College, Coaches, Recruitment : 2010-2011 [Re: Anonymous]
Westone Offline

Back of THE NET

Loc: Westchester, NY
Broadly speaking the level of commitment is much higher in Division 1 in comparison to Division 3 schools, with the Ivy D1 schools in the middle. This is, however, a school specific item as there are variotions in both D1 and D3.

Almost all D1 schools play a fall and spring season. There is travel involved and classes missed is something that happens on a recurring basis. For a D1 athlete, there college experiance is fairly stuctured and revolves around the sport they play. Some D3 schools also play 2 seasons but its more of a mixed bag. The travel is also less and there is usually more of a commitment on the part of the program to enable kids to get to most classes, etc.

The commitment in D3 Nescac schools is the lowest that I am aware of. Preseasons are limited to 3 to 4 days, there is very little travel, you play only one season, you are not allowed to practice as a team out of season (with some minor exceptions). You must schedule your classes such that you do not miss any due to practices and most games. Nescac rules are such that they view that you are there to get an education in comparison to D1 where the general thinking is tht you are there to play a sport.

As mentioned earlier, this is a topic that must be discussed between the coach and the player during the recruiting practice to ensure the player is aware of the commitments and the life style of the college experiance they will have as an athelete at the college.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... 9 10 >

Moderator:  Arielle 
Tournaments

Summer Tournaments
Oceanside SC Labor Day
East End Tournament
TWIST
W.I. Roar at The Shore
LIRR Kickoff Classic
EMSC Summer
WBSC ASA Labor Day
RYSA Wildcats Labor Day
Summer Camps & Leagues
Rough Riders
East Islip SC
Coastal Camps
NYSC Camps
NYSC Core Training
NY Rush
Coastal Summer League
PSA Development Pgm.
House of Sports
EDP College Prep Camp
USAS Summer Camps
PSA & USAS Camp
Hofstra University
Superdome World Class
SUSA Summer
Adult Men's League
KK Athletics
NY Stars
BOCA Juniors
Fall & Columbus Weekend
MAPS Fall Challenge
East Islip Fall Classic
Northport SC
Parsippany Pride
RVSC College Showcase
Sponsors

LI Rough Riders
Training Program
Soccer Camps
Jr. Rough Riders
Rough Riders Select
Men's & Women's Tickets
Globall Sports Centers
Soccer Leagues
Soccer Tournaments
Training Clinics
Birthday Parties
Field Rentals
SUSA Bubble Lindenhurst
Youth Leagues
Tournaments
Adult Leagues
Training & Academy Programs
Field Rentals
Summer League
Soccer Coliseum
Tournaments
Training
Youth Leagues
Adult Leagues
Premier Soccer Academy
Tournaments
Youth Academy ID Camps
Camps
Coaching Services
Kickiní Kiddie Program
Who's Online
8 registered (TNT Soccer, ZiggyRowe, Larry Miller, Cross It 4 Fun, Syosset SC CDT, GG1 N J18, Coach Lori, scrmomx4), 719 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Boys NPL Listing
Brentwood | Bklyn Italians | Everton Amer. | Eastern FC | East Meadow SC | Massapequa | STA Soccer | NY Elite | HOTA | Parsippany SC | Princeton SC | Soccer Plus Acad. |

Click Here!

Copyright (c) Back of THE NET 1993 - 2014