Fall Leagues Scores & Standings: | BDA | CJSL | ECNL | Boys ECNL | EDP | EDP NPL | EHYSL | ENY Challenge Cup |
| GDA | LIJSL | Metropolitan | NYCSL NPL | NY Cup | NYCSL | NYPL | SIYSL | WYSL | WYSL Premier | WYSL Cup |

It's Almost Time....
Nobody Does It Better
EDP Fall 2017
EDP Scores & Standings
EDP NPL Scores & Standings
LIJSL Scores & Standings
Fall '17 Scores & Standings
Spring '18 LI Cup
Fall '17 Games Schedule
Spring '18 Games Schedule
Sportsmanship Spring '17
ECNL
ECNL Standings
Boys ECNL Standings
ENY Leagues
Challenge Cup
Open Cup
Premier League
ERL
USSDA Standings
GDA Standings
BDA Standings
NSCAA HS & College Rankings
NYCSL Scores & Standings
NYCSL NPL
NYPL
NYCSL
NY Cup
Metropolitan
SUSA
Training Academy
Summer League
Summer Camps
Adult Leagues
Winter Youth Leagues
Tournaments
Field Rental
Birthday Parties
Newest Members
Tim1997, Amanda Wilson, Dana Kearney, HBC Chargers, Schachter
14453 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Larry Miller), 201 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
BOTN en Espaņol
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#684845 - 07/02/17 09:20 AM Northport SC Columbus Weekend Tournament  
Larry Miller Online happy
Chief Rocker
Larry Miller  Online Happy
Chief Rocker
Back of THE NET

Greenwich Village

Top Reply Quote
Junior Soccer Advertisements

Click Here!

#689668 - 08/29/17 01:17 PM Re: Northport SC Columbus Weekend Tournament [Re: Larry Miller]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

$850 for 13 year olds to play a tournament, wow Northport, Wow

Top Reply Quote
#689682 - 08/29/17 02:38 PM Re: Northport SC Columbus Weekend Tournament [Re: Larry Miller]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

$750 for U9. Sorry that is ridiculous. .

Top Reply Quote
#689683 - 08/29/17 02:53 PM Re: Northport SC Columbus Weekend Tournament [Re: Anonymous]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

$750 is way too much for u9/u10. What are they thinking? A lot of teams will pass on this....

Top Reply Quote
#689685 - 08/29/17 03:05 PM Re: Northport SC Columbus Weekend Tournament [Re: Larry Miller]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

It was $665 last year for U9 & U10, now it's $750? What are they getting for the extra $85?

Top Reply Quote
#689694 - 08/29/17 04:13 PM Re: Northport SC Columbus Weekend Tournament [Re: Anonymous]  
LIRef77 Offline
LIRef77  Offline

Back of THE NET

Originally Posted by Anonymous
$750 for U9. Sorry that is ridiculous. .

Actually what is ridiculous, even though I have refereed those games is to even have a travel team at U9! Years ago these age groups were playing intramural and then transitioning to a travel team at an older age. Why did this change? Hmmm, let's see, parents and adults pushing their kids to join travel teams with trainer$, Camp$, fancy uniform$,Tournament$ and all sorts of money grabbing events! Kaching! It's not the children asking for it, it's the parents! Just like having 3 referees for anything younger than U13 is ridiculous but somehow adults think it makes for a better officiated game! More money spent that is totally unnecessary. Pretty soon they'll be asking for a video assistant referee to review calls!

If you build a youth industrial soccer complex, all sorts of parents will spend the money and that is what the market has been asking for and gotten delivered, hook line and sinker. They are only providing you with what everyone has been asking for! The more parents spend, the more they are willing to spend so everyone is getting exactly what they asked for!

Top Reply Quote
#689699 - 08/29/17 04:34 PM Re: Northport SC Columbus Weekend Tournament [Re: LIRef77]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Respectfully disagree LIRef77. Why is it ridiculous to want higher level play at a younger age? I don't think its beneficial to keep high level players in intramural. Its boring for them and bad for their development. You can make the case for certain ability levels but there are just certain players that do not belong in intramural, where they are just scoring over and over. If you do not create travel teams for them to play on then they will go elsewhere.

Top Reply Quote
#689706 - 08/29/17 05:44 PM Re: Northport SC Columbus Weekend Tournament [Re: Larry Miller]  
LIRef77 Offline
LIRef77  Offline

Back of THE NET

Certain players that do not belong in intramural at 8 years old? Really? What an elitist comment! Really at 8 they are that much better than everyone else? Nonsense!

It's not a matter of NOT having travel teams. How young should we go? At U9 they are in 2nd grade and many are only 8! Intramural does not bore them! It bores the adults that are worried about the "quality" of the play. It's play! They are still learning the game and could learn it better if the competition did not interfere with their development. You have teams playing in two leagues. You have teams playing more games than they practice because that is designed to entertain the adults because the adults want to watch a game and the adults are "bored" when the level of play is "low" for 8 year olds. Do you not see how ridiculous that sounds? The problem is that adults measure success and development by wins alone, not whether the kids are improving their skills! How do I know this? I'm the guy dealing with the insanity to win at all costs, lack of sporting behavior and unhappy children having their parents yelling instructions to their children and not just letting them play the entire game! I'm the one being told by the players, "can you tell my dad to shut up ref?"

Top Reply Quote
#689708 - 08/29/17 06:05 PM Re: Northport SC Columbus Weekend Tournament [Re: Anonymous]  
Larry Miller Online happy
Chief Rocker
Larry Miller  Online Happy
Chief Rocker
Back of THE NET

Greenwich Village
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Respectfully disagree LIRef77. Why is it ridiculous to want higher level play at a younger age? I don't think its beneficial to keep high level players in intramural. Its boring for them and bad for their development. You can make the case for certain ability levels but there are just certain players that do not belong in intramural, where they are just scoring over and over. If you do not create travel teams for them to play on then they will go elsewhere.

You don't think it is beneficial to keep 8 year old high level players in intramural? Really?

As usual, LIReff77 is on the money with his comments. It would do you and your kid well to heed his advice.

Top Reply Quote
#689716 - 08/29/17 08:06 PM Re: Northport SC Columbus Weekend Tournament [Re: Larry Miller]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

"could learn it better if the competition did not interfere with their development"

I think it is the better competition that enhances their development, not interferes with it. Even at a young age, constantly playing with and against good players will make you better. You don't agree with that??

"You have teams playing in two leagues. You have teams playing more games than they practice because that is designed to entertain the adults because the adults want to watch a game and the adults are "bored" when the level of play is "low" for 8 year olds".

This is true, but a different argument. This is certain clubs and teams doing this, not all. I am making a travel vs intramural point, not how much travel soccer certain clubs are playing. Getting the better kids to play against each other benefits all those kids, even at u9. Whether the attitudes and craziness of parents and coaches on LI have ruined this is another discussion, and one I can understand. However, the notion of getting kids who are unchallenged and easily scoring 6 goals a game to play against others of the same ability is not a ridiculous idea. It's just a matter of how it is done.

Top Reply Quote
#689726 - 08/29/17 08:51 PM Re: Northport SC Columbus Weekend Tournament [Re: Anonymous]  
LIRef77 Offline
LIRef77  Offline

Back of THE NET

You must have no experience about the game because you know nothing about the development of a player. You think playing a higher level game with better players can make a better player. That is patently wrong. Just like having a virtuoso player at U9 is impossible. The superstar player at U9 is not always a superstar at U12. All the arguments I made are related not different. My point is that you cannot develop a better player by just having him play higher level games and more of them. Practices in other parts of the world have a ratio to games of at least 3:1. Most of the games at the developmental ages don't even keep scores or standings. But in the US we seem to have a different ratio and an emphasis on WINNING games which is really adult-centric and for their enjoyment not the kids. If I asked most players at U9-U11 what the score of their game was they would not know or care unless they were in a lopsided game.

That kid that may be scoring a few goals in a lopsided U9 game is nowhere near fully developed whether they are playing in an intramural league or a "high level" U9 game. You know what that "high level U9" game is an oxymoron. What does that mean? That U9 superstar is only a superstar in whatever league because he is faster and more aggressive than all the other little guys. Developmentally he cannot have the skills or endurance of an older child that has more developed physical characteristics. At that age the difference in competition is just not that great. He doesn't care if he travels for the game or if he stays in his town and plays with his friends. He might even prefer to play with his friends. Does anybody ask their kids what THEY want to do? It's only a game right? They're playing a game why does everything have to be so serious and focused on winning and getting better. If they just continue to play the game at whatever level they play they will continue to get better.
Larry knows what I'm talking about because we grew up in an era where we were outside all day playing all types of sports without adult supervision and helicopter parents. We worked everything out ourselves. Here's what I think-we would have even better players in our country and particularly on Long Island if kids played more pickup games. It would give them an opportunity to be creative without adults bothering them and interfering and allow them to develop in addition to practice and club games. Less games, more practice and "self study".
Do not misunderstand me, we have great players. I know because I see them right next to me all the time. While it is not easy I have the best job in the youth soccer industrial complex. Why? Because I don't have a vested interest in who wins. I get paid to call a fair game and to care about the players and the game and protect them both. What can be better than that?

Top Reply Quote
#689761 - 08/30/17 09:24 AM Re: Northport SC Columbus Weekend Tournament [Re: Larry Miller]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Nah, its all about touches on the ball. If you have a superstar who occupies most of the ball every game, that is less touches for the other kids. Get that superstar out of intramural and into travel. I've seen one kid dominate while the entire team watches. How is that a good thing for everyone else or him?

"You think playing a higher level game with better players can make a better player"
Yes, I do... lol...

"The superstar player at U9 is not always a superstar at U12"
Well, then keep them motivated.... Kid's aren't always kept motivated. One of the biggest reasons superstars drop off by u12 is that they get bored.. Keep them challenged and they are more likely to stay motivated.

The arguments you make are different... One discusses the theory of travel vs intramural.. The other discusses the practice of travel soccer in the US.. If our travel system is broken, then fix it, but to eliminate it is not the right answer.

Top Reply Quote
#689781 - 08/30/17 11:07 AM Re: Northport SC Columbus Weekend Tournament [Re: Anonymous]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Northport guarantees 4 tournament games for every team. Most tournaments will only give the top performing teams the 4th game as a playoff reward. Every U13 and older game is professionally refereed with a 3 person crew and the costs of the referees alone are more than 1/3 the entrance fee for every team. Add this to the costs of providing EMTs at every site and 3 levels of awards and the costs of renting fields (1 single turf field costs $750 per day) and infrastructure (tents, portajohns, etc...) and you can see how the cost of hosting a tournament has risen over the years. Check out the costs to attend other tournaments on Gotsoccer and you will see this is a fair price.

Top Reply Quote
#689801 - 08/30/17 01:29 PM Re: Northport SC Columbus Weekend Tournament [Re: Larry Miller]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

For the appropriate teams, just run a round-robin scrimmage then with a pair of other u9 teams and then enjoy the Holiday.
Cost $0 not $750. No need for turf fields expense, no need for pro referees & no need for additional incidental expenses.

Just kids playing the game with their friends.

IMHO, the above poster is incorrect, the biggest reason for player #'s declining by age 12-14 is player burnout from no longer enjoying the game due to all the stress from parents on top of them or separating them from their friends or driving them 40 mins to practices or 1 hour plus to games

Top Reply Quote
#689884 - 08/31/17 08:59 AM Re: Northport SC Columbus Weekend Tournament [Re: Anonymous]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

East Islip is $550 for 4 games at the U9/U10 level and $625 for the U11/U12. Please explain again how Northport feels it's ok to charge $85 more than last year? I know my team will pass on Northport this year and play in East Islip.

Top Reply Quote
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Quick Reply

Options HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
Image Verification

Tournaments

WYSL Cup 9/23
Syosset Columbus Day
EDP Cup Fall 10/7
Parsippany Pride 10/7
CT Rush Challenge 10/7