Spring Leagues Scores & Standings: | CDYSL | CJSL | ECNL | EDP | ENY Challenge Cup | ENY Open Cup | ENYPL | SIYSL |
| ENY/EDP | EHYSL | LIJSL | Metropolitan | National League | NPL | LICup | NY State Cup | NYCSL | NYPL | WYSL | WYSL Premier |

Nobody Does It Better
Loading ...

CLICK HERE TO LISTEN
Latest Tryout Posts
2001 bu16 Port Washington Cobras Open practices
by PWCobrasCoach. 03/21/17 04:53 PM
EBSC looking for '05 boys player/GK
by Dohnster. 03/21/17 10:07 AM
Quickstrike FC BOYS & GIRLS Tryouts
by Larry Miller. 03/21/17 09:34 AM
NYCSL Scores & Standings
NYCSL NPL
NYPL
NYCSL
NY Cup Metropolitan
LIJSL Scores & Standings
Spring '17 Scores & Standings
Spring '17 LI Cup
Spring '17 Games Schedule
Sportsmanship Fall '16
ECNL
ECNL Standings
EDP Spring 2017
EDP Scores & Standings
2016-2017 ENY (State) Cup
Challenge Cup
Champions Cup
NSCAA HS & College Rankings
USSF Academies
U15/U16
U17/U18
BOTN en Espaņol
SUSA Event Calendar
Click on the dates in BLACK to see the day's event or click on the link above to see the full SUSA EVENTS CALENDAR Training Academy
Summer League
Summer Camps
Adult Leagues
Winter Youth Leagues
Tournaments
Field Rental
Birthday Parties
NYCSL Leagues

Newest Members
NY STING FC, Dohnster, Warren Banholzer, Jbdragtime, Pride - Miller
14265 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#672735 - 02/14/17 10:48 AM Looking for G2007 Opps  
CAG1241 Offline
Back of THE NET
CAG1241  Offline
Back of THE NET

New York
Hi all,

A little background - i have no knowledge of soccer and how things work regarding teams and finding the right clubs for a child's talent level.

I hve a U10 girl, looking to move into a competitive club from her current rec league. Due to her level, she has been made to play a lot of defense or sit out against some teams since if allowed up front she scores too much. This is taking away from her enjoyment and she feels punished, despite being told that it isn't the case. Some other parents have told us that we should be looking to move her out of rec and into higher levels.

In the past (before she made a big commitment to training more) she turned down offers to move to "travel" teams but is now interested in moving into the most competitive environment she can.

Is it normal for a parent to reach out to clubs to ask to try out or what the joining process is or is that frowned upon?

Top Reply Quote
Junior Soccer Advertisements

Click Here!

#672739 - 02/14/17 11:17 AM Re: Looking for G2007 Opps [Re: CAG1241]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

You can reach out yourself its not frowned upon. There are tryouts posts to the left on this page for all ages usually. At U10 try to find a club/team that is not to far away from home practices 2x week and maybe extra if your daughter is up for that. You should look for coach/trainer that's interested in teaching fundamentals of soccer as opposing to winning at U10. It means absolutely nothing. Recommend scouting out some practices first to see the kind of drills they run and if they look like they know what they doing at this age level.....and the main thing the kids are laughing and having fun.

Top Reply Quote
#672745 - 02/14/17 12:12 PM Re: Looking for G2007 Opps [Re: Anonymous]  
CAG1241 Offline
Back of THE NET
CAG1241  Offline
Back of THE NET

New York
Thanks for the reply - my daughter generally goes to as many practices as she can, plays futsal andtrains solo using all of the youtube coaching (amazing what you can find online these days). Agreed we want something fun and developmental. She seems to think NYSC is where she wants to play (she knows some kids from futsal that play there) but i've heard it is expensive!

Top Reply Quote
#672769 - 02/14/17 05:49 PM Re: Looking for G2007 Opps [Re: CAG1241]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: CAG1241
Thanks for the reply - my daughter generally goes to as many practices as she can, plays futsal andtrains solo using all of the youtube coaching (amazing what you can find online these days). Agreed we want something fun and developmental. She seems to think NYSC is where she wants to play (she knows some kids from futsal that play there) but i've heard it is expensive!

It's all expensive so be prepared. If you know anyone who has older kids playing that you can ask for referrals great. Find people with first hand experience rather than rely on anonymous chat board. Finding good coaching is key. Contact some clubs in your area (don't travel too much as she's still quite young) and ask if she can come to some practices. That gives the coach a better chance to evaluate her and you can observe her, the coach, chit chat with other parents on the sidelines etc. (it's a good way to get information and you can see if they're crazy or not). Do this sooner rather than later. Clubs hold cattle call tryouts in May-June and they're very inefficient and aren't a good way for you to assess the coaching.

Top Reply Quote
#672785 - 02/15/17 09:13 AM Re: Looking for G2007 Opps [Re: CAG1241]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

You should also consider NY Surf - they are top ranked in this age group and beat NYSC 1-0 last fall.

Top Reply Quote
#672788 - 02/15/17 12:23 PM Re: Looking for G2007 Opps [Re: CAG1241]  
CAG1241 Offline
Back of THE NET
CAG1241  Offline
Back of THE NET

New York
We're in lower-middle westchester, so any suggestions on teams to look at would be welcome. Honestly, we are very new to this and I never thought of it until a few people in the fall said we should look into what else is out there at a more competitive level. Silly me, I always thought that kids played some rec and then went to their middle and high school teams. Guess that isnt the case any more!

Top Reply Quote
#672791 - 02/15/17 01:03 PM Re: Looking for G2007 Opps [Re: CAG1241]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

It can still be that way. Playing with friends & a good coach not obessed with winning at a young age should be the most important factors.You also need to start determining, if your daughter has the drive to play D1 or D2 in College, not you. Otherwise, Academy and or NPL is a waste of time and money.

Top Reply Quote
#672792 - 02/15/17 01:07 PM Re: Looking for G2007 Opps [Re: CAG1241]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: CAG1241
We're in lower-middle westchester, so any suggestions on teams to look at would be welcome. Honestly, we are very new to this and I never thought of it until a few people in the fall said we should look into what else is out there at a more competitive level. Silly me, I always thought that kids played some rec and then went to their middle and high school teams. Guess that isnt the case any more!

For larger clubs you can venture into Rockland and Orange counties. World Class and Quickstrike come to mind as both having successful programs. Really comes down to how far you are willing to travel, most higher level clubs all pay similar amounts. Be ready for some sticker shock as anyone new to this will be surprised at the fees.

Top Reply Quote
#672837 - 02/16/17 10:22 PM Re: Looking for G2007 Opps [Re: CAG1241]  
newAtThis Offline
Back of THE NET
newAtThis  Offline
Back of THE NET

NY
My daughter plays for NYSC. Yes, I had sticker shock when she moved up to club from travel. If you are interested in moving her up this year, it might be worth reaching out NYSC to see if there are any spots in the 2007 age group. I know we have one team but not sure if there are two. I know in some age groups they have accepted a player mid season. And if there's not room on the roster, they may allow her to participate in practices. NY Surf does not have any teams younger than 2003 this year in Westchester.

Top Reply Quote
#672849 - 02/17/17 11:31 AM Re: Looking for G2007 Opps [Re: CAG1241]  
CAG1241 Offline
Back of THE NET
CAG1241  Offline
Back of THE NET

New York
I suppose first order of business is to hopefully get an evaluation by those club coaches and see if she's even ready to play. I think even just training for the rest of the spring/summer and hopefully getting a roster spot for fall would be great.

She is very competitive from the technical side but she may be behind on the "how to play" side since her current situation hasn't taught her much and she's normally able to get by just on her own skill. Honestly this is what makes me not even want to bother with the local "travel" teams since every time she's played those teams all i see are long balls, kick & run and coaches shouting from the sideline.

Top Reply Quote
Quick Reply

Options HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Image Verification

Spring/Summer Events
NB Fight for Jaimie
Globall Spring Tournaments
Commack Memorial
EDP Pocono Cup
EDP Cup Showcase
EDP Spring Cup
EDP Easter Showcase
EDP Memorial Weekend
EDP Summer Showcase
EDP Central Jersey Invit.
EDP Pocono Premier
EDP MAPS-CAPS
EDP Summer Classic
EDP Lehigh Challenge
Manalapan SC Memorial
NRSA Fathers Day
Globall CO-ED Tournament
LIRR Independence Cup
FCW Developmental
Camps & Clinics
Berkshire Girls Academy
Cardinal Shooting Camp
Cardinal Spring Brk Camp
Cardinal Soccer Camps
LIPFC Training
LIPFC ID Camp
NYXFC Touches for Tots
NYXFC Elite Functioinal GK
NYXFC Training Programs
NYXFC Elite Training
NYSC Summer Camp
LIRR Elite Camp
LIRR Total Camp
LIRR Summer Camps
LIRR Elite High School
LIRR Spring Training
Stony Brook Striker
SUSA Happy Feet
SUSA Happy Feet Sessions
SUSA Bright Futures
SUSA Pre-Academy Training
SUSA Spring Skillfest
SUSA Goalkeeper Clinic
SUSA Skills Clinic
KK Spring Break Camp
KK Open Training
Sponsors

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (Cross It 4 Fun, Larry Miller, Dave Birnbaum), 173 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Globall Sports Centers
Soccer Leagues
Soccer Tournaments
Training Clinics
Birthday Parties
Field Rentals
LI Rough Riders
Training Program
Soccer Camps
Jr. Rough Riders
Rough Riders Select