Spring Leagues Scores & Standings: | CDYSL | CJSL | ECNL | EDP | ENY Challenge Cup | ENY Open Cup | ENYPL | SIYSL |
| ENY/EDP | EHYSL | LIJSL | Metropolitan | NPL | LICup | NY State Cup | NYCSL | NYPL | WYSL | WYSL Premier |

FREE HS TOURNAMENT with $5,000 prizes for the winning schools. See post below...

Nobody Does It Better
Latest Tryout Posts
G2004 Deer Park Turbulence GU14 Fall
by WPDefender. 05/23/17 09:56 PM
G2005 Deer Park Knockouts/U13 Fall
by WPDefender. 05/23/17 09:53 PM
G02 Stony Brook Crew (Fall U16) - Tryouts
by StonyBrookSoccer. 05/23/17 10:43 AM
G03 COMMACK RAGE 2017/18 tryouts
by CFManager. 05/23/17 10:33 AM
G03 Commack Fury - NYPL Div. 1 Tryouts
by CFManager. 05/23/17 10:32 AM
Open Practices - Bohemia Blackhawks - GU12 ('06)
by Blackhawks06. 05/23/17 10:12 AM
NYCSL Scores & Standings
NYCSL NPL
NYPL
NYCSL
NY Cup
Metropolitan
LIJSL Scores & Standings
Spring '17 Scores & Standings
Spring '17 LI Cup
Fall '17 Games Schedule
Spring '18 Games Schedule
Sportsmanship Fall '16
ECNL
ECNL Standings
EDP Spring 2017
EDP Scores & Standings
2016-2017 ENY (State) Cup
Challenge Cup
Champions Cup
NSCAA HS & College Rankings
USSF Academies
U15/U16
U17/U18
BOTN en Espańol
SUSA Event Calendar
Click on the dates in BLACK to see the day's event or click on the link above to see the full SUSA EVENTS CALENDAR Training Academy
Summer League
Summer Camps
Adult Leagues
Winter Youth Leagues
Tournaments
Field Rental
Birthday Parties
NYCSL Leagues

Newest Members
celtic1967, LGN STORM, elchalateco, Blackhawks06, David Siegel
14334 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#667776 - 11/14/16 08:09 PM strange Offside call  
IATKIS Offline
Back of THE NET
IATKIS  Offline
Back of THE NET

In our game yesterday the following occurred:

• In our defending half, the most advanced opposing team’s attacker, A1, received a ball from one of her teammates in an onside position. She turned and started driving at the center fullback D1, who with the keeper behind her, was one of two defenders behind the ball.
• As A1 was preparing to try to beat D1, D1 attempted a tackle. Both players struck the ball at the same time and both ended up on the ground, A1, having tripped over the ball, was now in a more advanced position (closer to our goal) than D1, but D1 had the ball in front of her.
• A1 was a bit quicker to recover, got up, dispossessed D1 of the ball and started to drive toward the goal.
• The whistle was blown and the refs call off-side on the A1.
• I asked the AR, who had risen his flag to explain this and he said the A1 came from an off-side position to take the ball. I replied, yes but the ball was not played to her from a teammate – she was dribbling, lost possession to D1, and then quickly regained it - he said it didn’t matter. I was chatting with him before the game and he seemed pretty knowledgeable. Also opposing coach didn’t object to a call that in my mind took away a really good scoring chance for them.

Is the AR’s interpretation correct?

Junior Soccer Advertisements

Click Here!

#667782 - 11/14/16 09:14 PM Re: strange Offside call [Re: IATKIS]  
samgordon Offline
Back of THE NET
samgordon  Offline
Back of THE NET

KY
I am not a ref, but I'll be very interested in hearing if the AR's read is correct. Here's what I found for Rule 11:
Quote:
Law 11: Offside
When an attacking player receives the ball while on his opponents half, he must be level or behind the second to last defender (the last typically being the goalkeeper). However, this rule only applies if he is involved with the play. To get a better understanding of the offside rule, please see the guide section for a more detailed explanation.

It says "receives" the ball.

If the ref's read is correct, an team playing in their offense half shouldn't bother challenging the GK on a pass back.

#667784 - 11/14/16 09:59 PM Re: strange Offside call [Re: samgordon]  
IATKIS Offline
Back of THE NET
IATKIS  Offline
Back of THE NET

exactly!

#667845 - 11/15/16 02:00 PM Re: strange Offside call [Re: IATKIS]  
Anonymous414141 Offline
Back of THE NET
Anonymous414141  Offline
Back of THE NET

If the following is true:
* A1 initially received the ball while onside
* A1 did not come from an offside position after the collision

Then I think it was a bad call made by the AR. An example would be say the keeper decides to put the ball down and play it, and there was an attacker behind him hanging out but not interfering, the attacker has every right to try and play the ball. He is in an offside position, but did not receive the ball directly from a teammate.

When I work with my AR's I tell them to be cautious about raising the flag to quickly. I explain lets make eye contact as much as possible and lets see how it all pans out, I tell the AR to stand still where they think the offside occurred and not raise the flag so quickly in case the defender makes an attempt at the ball first. Lots of new interpretations of offisde to learn.

#667856 - 11/15/16 04:25 PM Re: strange Offside call [Re: Anonymous414141]  
samgordon Offline
Back of THE NET
samgordon  Offline
Back of THE NET

KY
Originally Posted By: Anonymous414141
If the following is true:
* A1 initially received the ball while onside
* A1 did not come from an offside position after the collision

Then I think it was a bad call made by the AR. An example would be say the keeper decides to put the ball down and play it, and there was an attacker behind him hanging out but not interfering, the attacker has every right to try and play the ball. He is in an offside position, but did not receive the ball directly from a teammate.

When I work with my AR's I tell them to be cautious about raising the flag to quickly. I explain lets make eye contact as much as possible and lets see how it all pans out, I tell the AR to stand still where they think the offside occurred and not raise the flag so quickly in case the defender makes an attempt at the ball first. Lots of new interpretations of offisde to learn.

I don't understand the section I bolded. According the OP, A1 receives the ball in an onside position. After the collision, let's say A1 (without the ball) continues past D1. If A1 comes "back" to the ball, that could be considered offsides?

#667899 - 11/16/16 09:58 AM Re: strange Offside call [Re: samgordon]  
Final Word Offline
Back of THE NET
Final Word  Offline
Back of THE NET

New York, NY, USA
Based on the description of the play, appears was not the correct call by the AR. However, the ref has the authority to overrule the call, and did not, possibly he/she was not in the correct position to do so?

#667963 - 11/16/16 08:50 PM Re: strange Offside call [Re: Final Word]  
LIRef77 Offline
LIRef77  Offline

Back of THE NET

To add further comments, A1 CANNOT be offside because 1- he did not receive the ball from a team mate while in an offside position and 2- he did not receive the ball from an opponent's DELIBERATE save (which would be gaining an unfair advantage) Therefore, it CANNOT be considered offside and both the AR and the CR are wrong if it happened the way it was described.

Even the most knowledgeable Referees at the highest levels (like the World Cup) make mistakes and it looks like this crew made one.

Moderated by  LIRef77 

Advertisements

Tournaments
NY Surf Labor Day
NY Surf HS Varsity
WBSC ToB Marathon
WBSC Freedom Cup
TWIST
Commack Memorial
ASA Summer Classic
EDP Pocono Cup
EDP Cup Showcase
EDP Easter Showcase
EDP Memorial Weekend
EDP Summer Showcase
EDP Central Jersey Invit.
EDP Pocono Premier
EDP MAPS-CAPS
EDP Summer Classic
EDP Lehigh Challenge
NRSA Fathers Day
WYSL Cup
LIRR Independence Cup
LIRR Beach Bash
LIRR Kickoff Classic
Camps & Clinics
Berkshire Girls Academy
Cardinal Shooting Camp
Cardinal Goalkeeper Camp
Cardinal HS Camps
Cardinal Soccer Camps
FC Westchester Summer Camp
LIPFC ID Camp
NY Surf Summer Futsal
Gold Coast Summer
Gold Coast FC Camps
NYCFC Summer Camp
LIRR Summer Camps
LIRR Summer Camp Pass
LIRR Annual Camp Pass
NYSC Summer Camp
SUSA Summer League
Bright Futures Camp
SUSA Futures Summer Splash
SUSA Pre-Season Camp
Golden Touch Summer
ASA Summer Camps
WPYS Summer Camps
Sponsors

Who's Online Now
4 registered members (WPDefender, Larry Miller, CFManager, lifutsal), 446 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Globall Sports Centers
Soccer Leagues
Soccer Tournaments
Training Clinics
Birthday Parties
Field Rentals
Soccer Coliseum
Tournaments
Training
Youth Leagues
Adult Leagues